Is RCI's "refund" for the Oasis "Tragedy at Sea" Appropriate?

artbcpa

Is this what you would do if you owned a business a wanted to encourage a dissatisfied customer to retry your product?

Looking at it from the business perspective. You have three groups after this.

1. Those that will continue to cruise on RCI, even after this experience.

2. Those that are dissatisfied and might cruise with RCI again.

3. Those that are dissatisfied and will not cruise with RCI again.

The first and third groups are pretty much out of consideration except for cost calculations. The market research folks can probably work up a fairly effective number of those in group 2 and what number is likely to go either way based upon the numbers. The numbers will be what is the size of group 2, and the number that yields the best relationship between the number converted from group 2 to group 1 vs the total cost of the offer. Now the real cost of the offer is driven more by the size of group 1 and the expected conversion of group 2 to group 1, then by group 3 and the conversion of group 2 to group 3 (that is because those will never use the offer and as such will not generate cost).

Since they have access to all of the historical data, including complaint rates, one can assume that they consider that the offer will salvage those that are salvageable, and that a larger offer will increase costs, but not yield an appreciable change in the number that will return.

The primary difference with the amount offered on the quantum, is the PR (with Quantum being their new high tech ship and a lot of the high tech not working) and the specific failure of specific features.

Based on this I would say yes this fits the model for a company that deals with a very large population, with a relatively high number of new clients, and with a high percentage of the impacted passengers that already have a vested interest to return (frequent passengers).

The bottom line is while they would like you back, they aren't going to go beyond what their financial models say your relative value is to get you back. For a company this size it all comes done to numbers.

This pretty well nails it!

For group 1 any money spent as compensation would be a waste. They are returning anyways.

For group 3 any money spent would also be a waste as they are never coming back even if RCL returned 100% of their cruise costs.

The big unknown is group 2. And it comes down to a cost benefit thing. How does RCL maximize the re-cruise rate while minimizing the total costs of doing so. I'm sure there are lots of MBA's inside RCL and at the consultants that they use to figure the ultimate 'right' amount of compensation.

OP, I could get into more details on exactly how RCL should calculate this but the retainer for my services is quite steep.;)

Edited by DirtyDawg

I'm sure there are lots of analysts on it. It is interesting here that rather than offering a fixed % off a future cruise RCI are giving 20% of the fare paid for the TA, giving bigger incentive to those who paid most to cruise again and probably spend more. I would guess in this case paying 20% of fare paid is more economical than offering everyone 20% for a future booking (new or existing).

I also think they are looking at the business model and the loyalty programs. Experiencing the packed lounges on this TA, the lost revenue from giving complimentary lounge drinks must have been massive.

Of course I wasn't, as I am sure many others who have read and responded to this open post.

How do you know for a fact it was not out of their control? My objective opinion is this; RCI giving out a 20% discount is accepting blame and taking responsibility. Perception is a strange thing when a personal bias is involved.

Because I was there! Some things were indeed our of their control - others were not. This was not my first cruise on RC - I've seen how they have handled problems in the past. The attempt was simply not made with many problems with this cruise. In some cases, not even an attempt to communicate some of the problems that would have been easier to tolerate had we had had communication regarding said problem. One example was the Southampton immigration - They knew several days in advance, but except for a few letters that were received by a few guests the night before, we didn't know until the PA announcements were made that we had to get off NOW! Then they told us as we got off, we would be able to re-board immediately. That did not happen - we were forced to wait in the terminal along with people who were waiting for their initial boarding. That was one of the reasons there were guests who had to wait outside on the other side of the terminal because there was no room inside! With a few hundred added people just waiting to re-board after clearing immigration, that certainly added to the crowding situation. And if this was ever explained to those who were waiting outside, no one has mentioned it. I did hear that 2 or 3 people fainted due to dehydration while waiting.

So of course, my perception is going to differ from yours. And I certainly have no bias toward RC. It is still my favorite cruise line - based of prior cruise experience, not this one! And I agree the 20% discount is a nice gesture.

I feel those of us who were not there are fairly judging the situation, which is the premise of the OP. The question was this: is how RC handled the situation something we CC members would do if we screwed up with our own company? Emotion was not mentioned. I am glad you have decided to not give up on RC. A 20% discount for a future cruise means you get to take another vacation with a quality cruise line.

And I believe you are fairly judging the situation, AS YOU UNDERSTAND IT. Again, without having been there, you obviously don't have all the information.

What checks were being made by uk authorities of those getting off.

Normally there is nothing.

They could have easily redirected those people back to the holding area after checkin without people having to leave the building.

They stamped the passport. That's it.

Since the OP asked the question about how should the cruise line compensate. I would like to ask an additional question. If you were on this cruise, now that you have seen the compensation, are you most likely to 1. Cruise with RCI again or 2. Never cruise with RCI again.

We were on the sailing and had a great time. Sure, there were some problems with embarkation and disembarkation but onboard, we had a wonderful time. True the weather sucked and sent most everyone inside which crowded the venues not designed for that many people - but hey, we were on a cruise. We always found space along the Promenade for four of us to play cards and have a drink, saw the shows we wanted to without waiting in lines. Who wouldn't have thought there would be long lines for the first showing of Cats? We went the second day with no reservation and no line. Go figure. Same for shows that were cancelled due to weather, of course the next showing will be more crowded, it's just logical and same happens on the seven day sailings.

We got a kick out of watching the masses lining up 30 minutes early for the Diamond and above lounges to open, or for traditional dinino times - like somehow they wouldn't get in. Went to the lounges around 6 or 7, no problem getting a drink, but trying to find a seat -not gonna happen. People went in at 5 and camped out for the entire time. As we're not into that, we just got a drink and small snack, and took off. We're not big on camping out in a lounge for 3.5 hours to get our drink on for "free", lots of lounges and bars around the ship, and shows to see (with no lines) during that time. Again, go figure.

Truly didn't find any venues actually closed that had any affect over a regular cruise except Viking Crown, which was rarely used on a regular sailing anyways (in five Oasis sailings before, we've been in there total of 3 times, no loss to us). Sure, theater was closed for rehearsals, but not much happens in there normally. Izumi was closed, but as it used to be part of Windjammer, that actually gave more public space in Windjammer and had no affect as it took part of the dining room which wasn't open normally anyways. Those with access to Co clergy lounge still had the option, etc.

We simply had a great time. Would uave been betterm if the weather had been better. Certainly did not expect any kind of compensation for what was, for us, a good cruise. This is more than generous in our opinion. I understand some people had hot water probkems or TV problems , but we didn't at all, and the crowds were a non-issue, except having to hear people complaining left and right about them (not sure exactly what RCI was supposed to do about that). Overall, more than fair in our opinion.

And I certainly would not refer to this cruise as "Tragedy of the Seas". That is quite extreme for a cruise that sailed fine, didn't capsize or have major deaths onboard, etc. Cool weather is not a tragedy.

I want to cruise with people like you. Things do not always work out how you want but you just make the best of it. Well done you.

Since the OP asked the question about how should the cruise line compensate. I would like to ask an additional question. If you were on this cruise, now that you have seen the compensation, are you most likely to 1. Cruise with RCI again or 2. Never cruise with RCI again.

We are in the never say never camp.

There will always be a deal that make one of the RCI ships top choice.

We set our Expectations for this one quite low as we have experience of TAs but RCI failed to deliver repeating problem that have happened on previous trips.

We are in the never say never camp.

There will always be a deal that make one of the RCI ships top choice.

We set our Expectations for this one quite low as we have experience of TAs but RCI failed to deliver repeating problem that have happened on previous trips.

Interesting comment. We love RCCL transatlantic cruising and have always really enjoyed them. Yes, this one had some problems unique to the dry-docking, and I mentioned them in the survey, but the general apology and compensation came as a very pleasant surprise. Kudos RCCL!

We were a group of five on this cruise and enjoyed it very much. Still, the boarding-process in Rotterdam and Southampton was unacceptable as well as disembarkation in Fort Lauderdale. It was our 5th cruise with RCCL, our 3rd on Oasis and we know they can do a lot better.

Is the 20% off next cruise offer good? Yes, it is, but honestly, I booked already my next 3 cruises and I would have preferred an OBC on one of those instead of spending more money before getting something.

For me, I can say I had a good time on this cruise because our roll-call arranged a lot of great activities, the people on this roll-call were fantastic and the food was better than on any other cruise with RCCL before!

The funny thing is that we also received this e-mail with the 20% voucher. We were on the 1 nighter from Rotterdam. We did this 1 nighter to see if we would like it on a ship as big as the Oasis as well as if we would like RCL.

We where not under impressed by the Oasis but I think if we would sail this ship in sunny weather, our view would be totally different. Being on her in this rainy and cold weather was not great. We liked our stay on the Oasis and the only complaint I have is the embarkation process in Rotterdam. The terminal was not large enough to have this process done in an orderly way. So who is to blame. I think both RCL and the port of Rotterdam. They could not handle the situation with so many people and this they should have know about in advance. There where no customs issues or whatsoever because customs was after check in and you could easily pass them.

RCL personnel was around but did not know very much. The only thing you could get while waiting was some coffee or water. Because lunch time was coming near I started to feel faint I asked one of the RCL people if they would do something about it. Like having lunch boxes or something because if people think they can have lunch on board but instead are still waiting in line they should offer something. She told me that she would look into it but never came back.

So we also get the 20% discount voucher but I am not sure if we will use it because we think that ships like the Oasis are a little too large for our liking. It did not feel as we where on a ship but in a large mall or hotel.

When you use your 20% discount can it be combined with discounts/sales. I am not sure if they will only use them towards a full fare ticket.

The 20% discount is off how much you paid for this cruise and comes usually as a voucher which you can get off a future cruise.So it does not matter what your future cruise costs.

It does have an expirary date so be aware of that.

The ship wasn't ready. You did not get what you paid for.

The weather is irrelevant.

They should offer a % refund or a % discount on a future cruise. Your choice. The latter being a higher amount.

Of course, I am sure there is some 'blah blah blah' in the cruise agreement somewhere that exonerates them from anything.