New to DCL - Adults Only on Wonder - Need help!

yj2cute

Hello to all you seasoned DCL cruisers. I need your help. I'm considering booking a 5 night cruise on the Wonder out of Miami in January. It will be either just myself, mid 40's but still cool mom who loves a good time, or me and my 22 year old DD who will be on school break. Based on what I've read so far the one thing I think I'll like about the Wonder is that it's an older ship with fewer guests. Being that this would be an adult only trip I'd like to know what this ship would offer us? What adult only areas are on this ship? Will there be many others sailing without kids?

I'm just looking to experience DCL because I've heard the ships are beautiful and the food is great as well as the entertainment. I actually enjoy Disney shows. Which shows are on the Wonder?

I appreciate any help you can offer. TIA.

Hello to all you seasoned DCL cruisers. I need your help. I'm considering booking a 5 night cruise on the Wonder out of Miami in January. It will be either just myself, mid 40's but still cool mom who loves a good time, or me and my 22 year old DD who will be on school break. Based on what I've read so far the one thing I think I'll like about the Wonder is that it's an older ship with fewer guests. Being that this would be an adult only trip I'd like to know what this ship would offer us? What adult only areas are on this ship? Will there be many others sailing without kids?

I'm just looking to experience DCL because I've heard the ships are beautiful and the food is great as well as the entertainment. I actually enjoy Disney shows. Which shows are on the Wonder?

I appreciate any help you can offer. TIA.

We've been on several DCL cruises (3 on the Wonder), and everytime we've been adult-only. Here's a link to the DCL website all about the adult only areas/options:

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/onboard-activities/adult-activities/

The shows on the Wonder are Toy Story, The Golden Mickeys, and Disney's Dreams. Those are the main production shows. There may be other individual entertainer shows (magician/ventriloquist/comedian) also.

My wife and I are about to go on our 5/6th DCL cruise (with another 2 weeks later). We have no children nor any interest in them, but love DCL. We've sailed other lines, I've personally been on scores of cruises, and while there are many great lines, I'd say DCL is a fine line for adults. Does it help if you love Disney (we sure do), absolutely. One thing I've noticed about DCL though, is even though there are so many kids on board, because adults have so many of their own areas, and kids have so many of their own areas, there is are plenty of ways to avoid the kids. Additionally, because of these features, when you are in a common area and kids are around, they're happy - and happy kids are way easier for us to be around that unhappy kids :-)

We are also adults only and have done 5 DCL cruises.We love the atmosphere,and love watching the kids have fun.I've seen plenty of one parent,grown child groups enjoying everything.There is plenty for everyone of any age on a DCL cruise!:D

Just off the Wonder and not sure I'd go on another Disney with only adults. adult only pool was usually full. Middle kid pool small and noisy and most adults belonged to children. Just my opinion - so many others to choose from that cater more to adults.

We tried another line--one of the more upscale lines that is more adult oriented. We found better food, and I would have been happy to cruise that line again BUT other adults in the family over-ruled me. They preferred the DCL service, entertainment, and the "Disney touches."

Honestly, there was far more similar than different between the lines. No question, the DCL ships are better looking. But Celebrity had better food, strict enforcement of adult areas, some good "minor" entertainment (the major stuff was better on DCL). Biggest problem with other line was an average age of about 65. It didn't suit the 20 somethings well.

I love to cruise and have cruised on various lines. Last summer, I did my honeymoon on the Magic in the Mediterranean. At first, I wasn't sure about booking DCL for two adults (my nieces and nephews were on my two previous DCL cruises), and I was having a hard time deciding between Princess and DCL. But then I read a lot of endorsements in favor of DCL for just adults, and besides I was having a Mickey and Minnie themed wedding so how could I not choose DCL? I am so happy I did! I personally found DCL to be good at keeping the adult areas adult only. They offer activities that are adult only including craft classes and drawing classes. For the Mediterranean, they even had adult only versions of their excursions. On most cruises, I skip the shows but I actually go and stay awake during the shows on DCL. Also check out what movies are playing as DCL shows current movies that are produced by Disney. I loved attending the midnight showing on opening night of Guardians of the Galaxy last summer. DCL also tries to seat you with others who are similar to you for dining. I enjoyed the cruise so much that I just booked a three day Dream cruise over Easter for just my husband and me. I am a huge Disney fan so I enjoy all the Disney touches. If you enjoy Disney things, I think you will have a great time.

Edited by angelinaxox1

Off the 6 night Disney wonder this October. I thought it was great for kids but very limited for adults. When we went to adult only areas they were deserted. The lounges and adult pool were empty. That was my experience I personally would never do the wonder with adults only. That said everybody has different tastes and likes. Either way enjoy!!!

Off the 6 night Disney wonder this October. I thought it was great for kids but very limited for adults. When we went to adult only areas they were deserted. The lounges and adult pool were empty. That was my experience I personally would never do the wonder with adults only. That said everybody has different tastes and likes. Either way enjoy!!!

Uh oh. I just booked the Wonder for Jan. 9, 2015. :eek:

Uh oh. I just booked the Wonder for Jan. 9, 2015. :eek:

We've done 3 adult-only cruises on the Wonder. Well, the youngest on one of them was 19. Including a 14 night Hawaii with just DH & I, DHs mom & her husband, and DHs sister and her husband. Also done 6 other DCL adult-only cruises. We've had a great time everytime.

I suppose it depends on what sort of entertainment you're looking for. Disney certainly (for the most part) doesn't attract the more boisterous groups looking for fun. But I wouldn't say that they aren't for adult-only groups.

We've done 3 adult-only cruises on the Wonder. Well, the youngest on one of them was 19. Including a 14 night Hawaii with just DH & I, DHs mom & her husband, and DHs sister and her husband. Also done 6 other DCL adult-only cruises. We've had a great time everytime.

I suppose it depends on what sort of entertainment you're looking for. Disney certainly (for the most part) doesn't attract the more boisterous groups looking for fun. But I wouldn't say that they aren't for adult-only groups.

I'm not looking for boisterous partying but I would like to meet other adults in the loungers and other adult venues. I am going solo and while I don't have a problem being alone, when cruising I like making new friends.

Most of the 7 night or longer DCL cruises I've been on have had "single or cruising solo" luncheons hosted by a member of the cruise staff. These are different than the same activity for the college crowd. They are worth going to at least one to see if anyone shows up.

It has not been my experience that the adult areas are deserted. Frankly, I've found far too many parents in the adult only areas with children running in and out to check in with mommy. On a warm, sunny day, there is usually a healthy crowd by the adult pool. True, the evening activities tend to shut down about midnight. DCL isn't a "dance till dawn" kind of crowd. The 10:30 pm activity tends to be well attended and from there the crowds decrease till 12 or 12:30. There are things like midnight or 2 am movies that sometimes are popular depending on the film.

The Maleficent premier at 12:05 am filled BOTH theatres and people were turned away! Of course, they showed it several more times during the cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

You have it booked and I am sure you will have a great time. We have sailed adults only (just my wife and i) on Wonder and enjoyed it, but did find it to be a bit limited, especially when compared to RCL.

We still like DCL though and are going on the Fantasy in January.

Don't sweat it and enjoy.

You can find plenty to do for adults on the ships. I am thinking of the martini/tequila/beer/wine tasting, adult comedy shows, adult 'game shows', Palo dining, dancing, spa, etc. a couple of things that will make an adults only sailing more pleasant - on the Wonder I would choose a forward cabin, under the bars and the spa, OR an aft cabin on deck 7. The Wonder is the only ship that still has the "secret deck" on 7 aft. I would also avoid deck 5, since there will be more kid traffic around the clubs.

One note of caution - do not expect to have anything going on after midnight. Disney ships shut down when the horses turn into mice and the clock strikes 12 :-).

You can find plenty to do for adults on the ships. I am thinking of the martini/tequila/beer/wine tasting, adult comedy shows, adult 'game shows', Palo dining, dancing, spa, etc. a couple of things that will make an adults only sailing more pleasant - on the Wonder I would choose a forward cabin, under the bars and the spa, OR an aft cabin on deck 7. The Wonder is the only ship that still has the "secret deck" on 7 aft. I would also avoid deck 5, since there will be more kid traffic around the clubs.

One note of caution - do not expect to have anything going on after midnight. Disney ships shut down when the horses turn into mice and the clock strikes 12 :-).

Thanks for the info. Actually I booked a GTY so no choice in cabin location, but I'll be fine anywhere. Tell me more about the "secret deck". Good to know ahead of time that even though there is an adult area the evenings will be early ones. I don't mind, I will probably be able to get some much needed rest. :)

Thanks to everyone else for your input as well. I'll be sure to come back after my cruise and give you a mini review.

Edited by yj2cute

On the Wonder, at the very back of deck 7 there is a door that opens to an exterior deck. It is rather a poorly kept "secret." It has been used for the litter box for service animals when the owners did not book a verandah, for story time for the kids (this has been discontinued) and for every sort of legal and illegal, appropriate and inappropriate activities by guests that you can imagine. It is a lovely place to stand and watch the sail away or just enjoy the ocean breezes without crowds provided that your fellow guests are being decent. Due to some of the problems, you will find the door locked early in the evening, and if they have issues on a particular cruise, they will lock it all the time.

On the Magic, the area is now filled with some huge equipment--no guest access.

On another subject, on the classic ships, we find deck 5 to be a wonderful area for adults. Yes, the kid areas are midship BUT there is no reason for anyone who does not have a cabin in this relatively small area to be there at all. It isn't used as a walkway, and is typically very quiet.

Much has been covered here already, but our sailing on the Wonder was great. Definitely more quiet than other ships/sailings, and we loved Outlook Cafe as a peaceful place to watch to water and Quiet Cove area. I will note that I was disappointed in Beach Blanket Buffet, it doesn't hold a candle to Cabanas in quality or layout. Be sure to visit the Cove Cafe and tell Pablo that Billy said "alô, hola, and hello."

Much has been covered here already, but our sailing on the Wonder was great. Definitely more quiet than other ships/sailings, and we loved Outlook Cafe as a peaceful place to watch to water and Quiet Cove area. I will note that I was disappointed in Beach Blanket Buffet, it doesn't hold a candle to Cabanas in quality or layout. Be sure to visit the Cove Cafe and tell Pablo that Billy said "alô, hola, and hello."

You are right that BBB does not compare to Cabanas. This was one of the big improvements on the Magic. However, the Wonder is the only ship with the enlarged, enclosed Cove Cafe--especially nice on cooler days. Love Alan (dining manager) on the Wonder.

Thank you all for your helpful tips about the Wonder. I'm really looking forward to it. I will be armed with my Kindle and lots to read and will enjoy the slower pace I'm anticipating on this ship. I am hopeful there will be some other adults only pax on this trip but either way I'll enjoy.