Viking Cities of Light Review - Mobility issues addressed

Peggy Tuten

I received so many helpful hints from others prior to my cruise that I thought I’d share some highlights from my experience. I’m in my early 60s, an experienced traveler in good physical shape. I did this cruise with my sister, who has walking difficulties – she walks with a cane, can go steps, but walks slowly and can’t walk far without resting. So, some of this review will be from the perspective of someone with walking difficulties. Overall, we had a fabulous time and would happily sail with Viking again. However, there are a few small things that Viking could do to make it easier for people with limited walking abilities. Viking does offer a leisure/slow group for city tours and there were several others walking with canes that joined us for these. I did lots of research before the trip to make it as easy as possible and enjoyable for my sister – who had never been to Paris, Germany, or Prague before. I’ve been to Paris and Prague several times and to most of the places in Germany once, so I had a sense of what would be doable for us. For Paris, I relied heavily on Rick Steves’ guide.

We had booked Vikings precruise tour of Paris, but ended up arriving a day earlier than expected due to a pilot’s strike by Air France. I had booked our airfare via Delta and received an email about 6 days before departure. I called Delta and easily moved the flight up a day. Some who had Viking book didn’t find out until the day before departure. Viking had us staying at Le Meridien and I booked another night myself. Tip: I booked a room for about $ 350 per night. The Viking precruise tour package ended up being about $ 500 per night. I would have booked it all on my own, but didn’t want the hassle of changing hotels if Viking made a last minute change. I didn’t get breakfast included in the $350 room rate and didn’t want to pay the 20+ euros for breakfast, so went across the street to Starbucks (in the shopping mall) for coffee and pastries. Breakfast was included in the Viking rate – it was good but not 20+ euros good. The shopping mall also has a fabulous gourmet grocery store. Several evenings, my sister was too tired to go out to dinner. I got takeout from the store and we enjoyed that in our room. Found some small items for gifts and bought some wine to take on the cruise. Transportation Tip: If you don’t have a Viking Transfer from the airport, the Air France bus stops directly across from the hotel. I bought our tickets in advance online – the transfer was very easy and I didn’t have to stress watching the taxi meter rise while stuck in morning rush hour traffic. The hotel isn’t in an area I’d choose to stay in, but transportation connections were convenient.

Monday, 15 September

Our flight came in about 5:30 AM so we arrived at the hotel well before checkin time. I didn’t expect that we could check in – and we couldn’t. Checked our baggage with the porter. I went to the metro station to buy a carnet of metro/bus tickets (a carnet is 10 tickets – cheaper than buying them individually). We walked up to the Avenue de la Grande Armee to catch Bus # 73 to Arc de Triomphe where we caught the Open Air Hop On/Off Bus. Thought this would be a good easy thing to do on our first day and would give my sister a feel for the layout of Paris. I bought my tickets in advance. We had a beautiful warm, sunny day, so enjoyed riding on the top. I wouldn’t recommend this as the fastest way to get around. We were often stopped for fairly long periods of time as people bought their tickets while boarding. We got off to visit Notre Dame here, so skipped this part of the Viking Tour – later in the week.

Tuesday, 16 September

My sister was very tired so I went out on my own – after my breakfast run to Starbucks. Returned and we had lunch at Le Sud, just up the street from the hotel. Took bus # 73 again to Musee D’Orsay. Let me start here by saying how access-friendly Paris and Parisians are. If you are handicapped, admission to museums for you and your companion is free. Wheelchairs are also free (just need to leave an ID). I knew that walking around museums, especially the Louvre, would be difficult for my sister, the wheelchairs made it possible. The staffs of the museums went out of their way to show us to the elevators – not always easy to find.

Wednesday, 17 September

We’re officially on Viking tour now and enjoyed the hotel buffet breakfast. Each day, the host/hostess seated us at a table close to the buffet so we didn't have to walk far. We took the Metro to the Louvre – fairly easy walk from station directly into the Louvre’s underground shopping center. I didn’t plan on use Metro much as there are steps and often quite a bit of walking if you’re in a station with connections. (People readily gave up their seats for my sister). Again, the museum staff were very helpful – we were even directed to go in front of the velvet rope at the Mona Lisa, so my that my sister had a great view. Dinner this evening was at the Eiffel Tower. Tip: If you want to go up the tower for a tour or a meal, be sure to book in advance or face waiting in a very long line. To avoid this, I thought about booking lunch. In June, lunch reservations were already sold out for our dates in September, so we splurged on dinner. Expensive (about $ 110 each), but food was great and the view was fantastic. We took a cab both ways.

Thursday, 18 September

Another morning on my own. In the afternoon, we went to Giverny with Paris Tours. It’s easy to get there on your own, but Paris Tours picks you up at your hotel. We were dropped off at the back, close to the lily ponds – there are steps. We did that first before walking up to the house and gardens. There were benches to sit on to rest. The bus picked us up near the house, so walking was minimized. Note: I really wanted to go to Versailles as I hadn’t been there in more than 20 years, but was concerned that my sister wouldn’t be able to keep up with a tour and if we did it on our own, it would involve lots of walking. And, recent reviews on TripAdvisor complained about the crowds. Also, I knew that Wurzburg would give us a baroque palace experience.

Friday, 19 September

Decided to take Viking’s morning tour of Paris (I wish they had 1 or 2 busses do this the first day of the precruise tour – kind of too late after you’ve been tin Paris for a day or two). The first part of the route took us through a part of Paris that we didn’t cover on the Open Air Tour. We got off near Notre Dame. I don’t recall if there was a slow group organized, but we wouldn’t have been able to keep up to get to Notre Dame. Decided to skip the rest of the tour and took bus # 63 to Pere Lachaise cemetery to see Jim Morrison’s (The Doors) grave. Used Rick Steves’ directions. I’d been before, but my sister wanted to go and it’s not a far walk from the bus stop and there are benches in the cemetery to rest. We took the same # 63 bus back and got off to visit the Rodin Museum – my sister’s choice. The gardens were lovely with roses and sculptures, but the house was not very accessible – just stairs. My sister was worn out by then – taking a bus would have meant a transfer and the taxi stand was quite a walk away. A woman in the gift shop offered to call us a cab – well worth it.

Saturday, 20 September

Left Paris about 8:00 for Luxembourg City. We were assigned to a bus with other “leisure travelers”. Here’s a little thing that Viking could do to help – have the bus with the leisure group parked closest to the hotel, ship, etc. While walking a few bus lengths isn’t a big thing for most, if you can’t walk far, it does make a difference – many times, our bus was the furthest one away. Had one stop along the way (bus drivers are mandated to stop for a break). Long lines at the restroom as all busses stopped at the same place. Nice shop to buy champagne, snacks, etc. Arrived Luxembourg City around lunch. With Saturday crowds and some kind of festival going on, it was hard to see and keep up with the guide on the walk to the center. She wasn’t very clear on when/where to meet for the city tour and some people missed it – we only had about 30 mins for lunch before the start of the city tour. We opted for a nice lunch instead. We went to The Chocolate House, recommended by Rough Guide, and across from the Grand Ducal Palace. Beautiful view, great food, and yummy desserts and bought some chocolate spoons to go (you dip these in hot milk for a hot chocolate drink). Stopped by the American Cemetery. Hard to keep up with our guide, but we heard what he said via the Quiet Boxes – what a great invention! Finally arrived in Trier to board the Viking Odin. Fast easy boarding process – if you’ve only cruised on ocean liners, you’ll be amazed at how fast checkin and getting your luggage can be! I booked our tour in December and the only cabin left was on the lower level. There is no elevator down. One flight of steps was ok for my sister. Being on a higher deck would have been easier. There is an elevator from Deck 2 (Dining Room) to Deck 3 (Lounge), with just steps up to the sun deck. If I cruise again with her, I’d go for a higher deck to minimize steps; with someone else, I’d be perfectly happy on the lower deck. We didn’t spend much time in our cabin and I’d rather splurge on something else. Had pre dinner brief by our program director, Titiana (I hope I spelled her name right). She’s an enthusiastic, ball of energy and did a wonderful job, as did the entire crew.

Sunday 21 September

Had a quick bus tour of the outskirts of Trier to see several Roman sites and then started our walking tour. We went with the leisure group. Had several opportunities to sit down but it was still quite a long walk. Couldn’t go into the basilica (primo Roman site) as it’s now used as a church and there was a service. We had time at the end of the tour to sit and have some hot chocolate. If you were on the fast tour, there might have been time to visit the museum by Porta Nigra. Note, my husband and I usually prefer to travel on our own and we’ve visited Trier before. This is one place where I’d have been very frustrated by the tour – we love Roman archaeological sites and I would have missed a lot if the Viking tour had been my only experience, but that’s one of the disadvantages of taking an organized tour. We had a late afternoon stop at Bernkastel. Did some window shopping.

Monday, 22 September

Docked in Cochem to visit Reichsburg Castle. Minivans took us up to the Castle and then back down the hill for a walking tour of the town. I asked if we could go up in the first van so that we’d have plenty of time to walk in the town (without slowing anyone else down). The Castle was doable for my sister and we enjoyed the tour. We left the walking tour early to slowly make our way down. We had a leisurely afternoon – watched a movie in our cabin before docking in Koblenz.

Tuesday, 23 September

I visited Marksburg Castle while my sister relaxed on the ship while it cruised to Brauback– you never have to get off for port visits if you don’t want to. Titania made it very clear that this tour would be difficult for those with mobility issues and she was right. The walk up to the castle isn’t too bad, but once inside the gate, there are places where it’s rocky, steep, and uneven. The afternoon was spent cruising the Rhine and viewing the castles. We had lunch on the Aquavit Terrace and stayed there most of the afternoon enjoying the view. The crew brought lap blankets as it was cool and cloudy to start. There are plexiglass panels at the bow, so we were fairly well protected from the wind. Titania broadcast which castles were coming up so we knew what to look for. Rick Steves also covers this area well. Docked in Rudesheim about 5. It was a long walk into town from where the ship docked. Another tip for Viking – in Rudesheim and a few other places, the ship docked quite far from the center of town. Some of these towns had little tourist trains/trolleys. It would have been nice if Viking could have arranged for these to meet the ship – or offered to call a cab. We’d have gladly paid extra for the convenience. Tip for Christmas decoration shoppers – our first Kathe Wohlfahrt shop was in Rudesheim. There are also stores in Heildelburg and Rothenburg. One of our tour guides offered brochures for a 10% discount. Had a special German dinner on board along with a tour of the galley.

Wednesday, 24 September

Disembarked in Aschaffenburg and took a bus to Heidelberg Castle. Quite a steep walk to the entrance from where the bus parked. The leisure tour did stop at several scenic places to sit so it worked out ok. Bus took us to the outskirts of the Old Town and we walked to Zum Ritter for lunch (included) – a fairly long walk. We had a very good beef dish but you could order a vegetarian option in advance. A student from the University was seated at each table, but we were too far away to converse with him. Restrooms were upstairs, but Titiana showed us a hidden elevator. After lunch we were on our own and did some window shopping. We were to meet at Zum Ritter for the walk back to the bus. Unfortunately, there is no place to sit on the square – except for restaurants where you had to order something. We ordered coffee, just to have a place to sit and wait. Bus took us back to ship which had sailed to Miltenberg.

Thursday, 25 September

We had signed up for the Rothenburg tour – I had been there more than 20 years before and would have liked to revisit, but it would have meant a full day of touring which was too much for my sister. Don’t miss if you haven’t been. We had seen some medieval towns, but hadn’t seen a baroque palace and didn’t want to be too tired to enjoy Wurzburg Palace. The bus dropped us off near the entrance. There is a magnificent staircase, but the guide told us where to find the elevator to join the tour at the top. We left the tour after the Palace portion, foregoing the city tour to take more time to enjoy the gardens. We made our way through town on our own, crossed the old bridge (and saw our ship going through the lock) to catch our bus which took us on a short ride to the ship. Our afternoon was free and I walked back to the city. Except for the Palace, it’s not a very touristy town and you’ll find shops and department stores geared towards the locals, not tourists. Captain’s dinner tonight and most people dressed up a bit more – as others have posted, whatever you wear during the day is perfectly acceptable for dinner. A group of men had T-shirts imprinted with a tuxedo – a nice touch.

Friday, 26 September

A leisurely morning with a disembarkation briefing followed by a lecture on the European Union. Arrived Bamberg after lunch. Took the leisure tour through the city and had lots of time after to enjoy a local beer and do more shopping. Bus back to the ship, our final dinner and I paid our bill after dinner. Unlike ocean cruising, there were few extras to pay for. We added our tips and I had a few slacks laundered – that was it. We had no bar bill. We found that wine or beer at lunch and dinner was plenty for us. We bought 2 bottles of wine in Paris and only drank ½ of one! A note about services on the ship. We didn’t use the services of the concierge, but she provided information about tours and concerts in Prague and would gladly book for any of those interested. We talked with several people who used her to book trips to Cesky Krumlov or a car/driver to take them to other places outside of Prague.

Saturday, 27 September.

Bags out by 7 and we were to be out of cabins by 8. After breakfast, we went back to our cabin – about 7:30, only to find that beds had been stripped and all towels were gone – a bit tacky, but we still left an extra tip for the cabin steward as she had been great all week. We also had to leave our quiet boxes – not sure why. The busses took us to Nuremberg. We didn’t have quiet boxes and couldn’t hear our guide most of the time. We went to the Zeppelin parade ground, the castle and then back to the Old Town. I liked Nuremberg more than I thought and will revisit if I'm in the area so that I can see more of it. We had lunch at a café on the square – we tried to pay by credit card and the waitress told us that the restaurants on the square don’t take credit cards, so be sure to have cash. The clock on the Church of Our Lady on the square has a mechanical show at noon – wish our tour guide would have told us that – maybe she did, but we couldn’t hear. We caught the end of the show. Bus to Prague for stay at the Prague Hilton. Like Le Meridien in Paris, I wouldn’t choose to stay in this location. But, the hotel is really nice. There are ATMs and currency exchange machines in the lobby so it’s easy to get Czech currency. I’m a Hilton Gold member and the Executive Lounge is probably the best I’ve encountered. My sister was too tired to go out, so we ended up eating “dinner” here every evening (a shame to miss out on real Czech cuisine, but we did have great lunches!). Tip: I had wanted to go to Pivovarsky Klub Microbrewery, 272 Krizikova –about 2 blocks beyond the Floenc Metro. My husband and I dined at their sister restaurant several years ago and enjoyed it. Be sure to try Becherovka, an herbal liquer made in Karlovy Vary. I also love Czech bread dumplings - often offered with goulash - the sauce on the dumplings is delicious. The hotel is not far from the Florenc metro/bus stop, but for us it was a long walk. There is a small shopping mall across the street with a grocery store and pharmacy (walk through here to get to metro).

Sunday, 28 September

Took the leisure tour to Prague Castle. Disappointed that we couldn’t visit St. Vitus Cathedral (Sunday services again) but we did hear the bells pealing which was almost as good. Saw the end of the changing of the guard ceremony. We had plans to meet family at 12. The bus was going nearby our meeting point and the driver kindly let us off. The fast tour had planned on stopping at the Charles Bridge and the group would walk over this to the Old Town. The slow group would have missed the Charles Bridge part.

Monday, 29 September

This was the end of the Viking Tour, but we extended one day in Prague and another 5 days in the Czech Republic. We took a taxi to the Mucha Museum (I love Art Nouveau). We walked from there to Obecni Dum (Municipal House) to see another Art Nouveau exhibit and had lunch in their beautiful café. Would have loved to have come back for a concert – it’s a really beautiful building. Walked to Old Town Square to see the Astronomical Clock and then shopped at Erpet Bohemian Crystal – across from the clock. Tip: Someone who used to work at the US Embassy Prague recommended this shop as a reputable place, especially if you want to ship your purchases. We bought some garnet jewelry here, but if I had wanted to make a large purchase, I’d do it here. We probably should have asked the store clerk to call a cab for us, but we walked to the Mustak Metro station and took it to Florenc (near the hotel). There is an elevator at Florenc but we had to wait a long time for it. Someone with a bicycle got on and there was no place for us so we had to wait for the next one (bikes aren’t supposed to be allowed). We had a drink at Hilton's rooftop lounge for a nice view of the city.

Tuesday, 30 September – Friday, 3 October

We had breakfast in the Executive Lounge – same food as the lobby buffet, but not as crowded. We had arranged for a Hilton car to take us to the airport (800 kc) and the car dropped us off at the car rental place as requested. We drove to the palace at Horovice (my great grandfather was a guard there) and stayed at nearby Chateau Zibrou – very interesting if you’re in the area and want a castle hotel stay and an interesting tour. I didn’t know it when I booked but Mucha spent several years here and there is a nice exhibit of his work. Next to Cesky Krumlov for 2 nights. Then to Putim, a small town outside of Pisek where we visited more relatives. I only mention this if there are any fans of the book “The Good Soldier Svejk”. Parts of the book take place here and a movie of the book was filmed here. There is now a statue of Svejk here as well.

Saturday, 4 October

Drove back to airport to return car and stayed at Airport Marriott. Since we had a very early morning flight, it seemed easiest to stay here. Very reasonable priced – about $ 85. And there are walkways to both terminals. We enjoyed a good dinner and our final Czech beer here.

I hope that some of you find this review useful. I'm happy to try to answer any questions.

Thanks for a great review!! It will be especially useful for those with mobility issues. I took this cruise three years ago, and not a lot has changed. Back then the boat went all the way to Nuremberg instead of stopping in Bamberg.

FuelScience

Thank you for the review with a focus on mobility issues. I would love to go on a river cruise but thought the walking would be too much for me. Two questions: What is a quiet box? What was the cabin bathroom/toilet like size-wise?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Great review especially the mobility aspect. You and your sister planned and your sister realized her limitations. I have no mobility issues but I have seen pax on our cruises who had issues and were totally unaware how physically taxing river cruising can be. The most important point that I wish those with limitations would understand is that the cruise line is not going to make modifications. It is up to you to plan then make changes according to your needs.

Thank you for the review with a focus on mobility issues. I would love to go on a river cruise but thought the walking would be too much for me. Two questions: What is a quiet box? What was the cabin bathroom/toilet like size-wise?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Quiet boxes - not sure technically how they work - radio transmissions?, but they're little boxes, about the size of the old ipods, that you hang around your neck. You use an earplug and then you can hear your tour guide from quite a distance. It's great as you can hang back to take photos, look a bit longer at something, etc. and not worry about missing any that the tour guide says. It's especially helpful in crowded, noisy areas. I forgot to add that we did get quiet boxes back in Prague for the tour - just wished we'd have had them in Nuremburg.

As for the bathrooms - they were about the size of those on a cruise ship. There was a standup shower. I don't recall if the toilet was very low or not - or if it had a handrail neither one of us had a problem. It was next to the counter, so you could hold onto that if necessary. What was nice is no rocking - unless the ship bumped into the side of a lock - so trying to balance while standing and walking wasn't an issue.

If you have mobility issues, I'd suggest checking with your cruiseline in advance to see about the difficulty of excursions. Viking gives you a rating for each tour and it was great to have a slower group available. Once onboard, check with the cruise director - he/she will be able to give you a good feel for the difficulty of the excursions and what your options might be. Having that personalized service on Viking was terrific.

Edited by Peggy Tuten

We took a northern Italy escorted tour last April and didn't realize that my husband had COPD. It was a very strained and stressful trip because of the difficulties my husband, age 75, had in keeping up the pace. He ended up with bronchitis and we were happy to get back home. After several follow up visits with doctors and treatments, he was diagnosed with COPD and can't walk far without stopping to catch his breath. He uses inhalers. In the past we have done extensive traveling and now we feel we are limited due to the slow walking issues. I'd like to know if anyone can recommend a trip that they've taken, cruise, river cruise, etc. where someone with these issues can go without many problems. We basically haven't been great cruise lovers and have enjoyed independent travel in the past, but that was when there were no issues with walking and we were able to cover many miles in a day. We're open to a slower paced independent travel suggestion as well. I'm new to this site and hope that by posting online where many other travelers can read and respond is the way to go. Thanks,

Thank you for the review. My mom has some mobility issues as well, since shattering her ankle three years ago. I think she should be okay for most other than the castle, with the slower group.

Do you think a knee scooter would be useful on this trip? I've read so much about cobblestones that I wonder if a knee scooter would be worth bringing.

Thank you for the review. My mom has some mobility issues as well, since shattering her ankle three years ago. I think she should be okay for most other than the castle, with the slower group.

Do you think a knee scooter would be useful on this trip? I've read so much about cobblestones that I wonder if a knee scooter would be worth bringing.

It depends upon how much you want to carry it when you can't use it. I was surprised that we didn't encounter too many cobblestone streets - until we got to Cesky Krumlov. When there was uneven pavement, she used her cane and took my arm to help with balance. But there were areas with hills - some slight, some fairly steep. A knee scooter might have been helpful on the long walks from the ship into town - like Rudesheim. While their was a nice sidewalk into town, it was a bit hilly from there. I don't have any personal experience with such a scooter, but I think it might be more trouble than it's worth.

My sister did have a little fold up stool that she carried with her most days in her large purse. She ended up not using it much as there were usually lots of places to sit for a short rest.

Thanks for the detailed review. What hotel in Prague would you have rather stayed at? We are planning to do Prague on our own before a river cruise and have Hilton points and thought the Hilton was in a good location. Thanks

There is a Hilton Old Town too - I haven't stayed there but it's closer to more attractions and restaurants.

Thank you for the review. My mom has some mobility issues as well, since shattering her ankle three years ago. I think she should be okay for most other than the castle, with the slower group. Do you think a knee scooter would be useful on this trip? I've read so much about cobblestones that I wonder if a knee scooter would be worth bringing.

My Daughter broke her ankle a few years ago playing tennis. Thin & active, she is also self-employed and, therefore, had to go to work. She is a dentist and employs 6 other ladies. I took her to get a knee-scooter and she never missed a day of work.

However, having lived in Germany 50 years ago for 2-1/2 years, I think that cobblestones are just to rough to manipulate these tiny knee scooters. I always take a Sports-Seat (Magellans) for when we must stand, listening to a tour guide and in museums. I used it all over Dublin and Ireland. :D

Take good care of your Mum. She is very precious. ;)

Thanks again for the information.

Di, (I am a Di, too!!) I try. And yes, she is indeed very precious! She does have a cane but she very rarely uses it. Maybe she should take it instead of buying a knee scooter. it would definitely be easier to carry around when it isn't being used.

There are lots of different styles so look at all these photos. Mine has been on 37 Ocean Cruises and she is going on the Rhine next year. ;)

I think I will buy the cushion. Carry on aircraft. Goes free as a handicapped appliance.

http://www.travelsmith.com/sport-seat/601080

$29 - SPORT SEAT - 9"W x 1½"D x 34"H; seat: 21" H. 1 lb., 12 oz.: Take-along seating for long lines, tours and family outings, this multitasker quickly transforms from a walking stick to a seat. The most stable and lightweight of its kind, it's built of extra-strength anodized aluminum that can support up to 250 lbs. Add a reversible cushion to enhance comfort and a nylon shoulder case for transport [Don't need this!] (both sold separately). Polypropylene handle; stainless-steel hardware. Made in USA.

http://www.travelsmith.com/sport-seat-cushion/travel-accessories/health-personal-care/601097?isCrossSell=true&strategy=142

$10 - Sport Seat Cushion. Best Seat in the House, Airport, Museum, Park, Etc. This reversible cushion enhances the comfort of your Sport Seat. Polypropylene. Made in USA

http://www.foldingsticks.com/Seat-Canes.html

$35 to $44 - Seat Canes: Cane seats - going to attend an outdoor event but you’re dreading standing and walking all day long? Need to rest while standing in lines? Worry no more! Watch that event in comfort and conserve your energy while waiting in line, by using a cane seat. Our folding seat canes and walking cane seats provide a comfortable and stable seat, and easily fold when not in use.