Mystery; Northstar just up and down?

derf5585

now i think you are just trolling us derfy :D

you of all people with your excellent information gathering skills should know better

This is from

ERLEC

Why most of the time the North Star is simply going up and not rotating to see the ship sides?

I have seens numerous videos and most of them are simply like this one... Up and down, no side rotation.

I think I read in one of the live threads they were just going up and down to give the most rides. The first few days of the crossing were rough and it was closed so they are trying to get as many people on as possible. I think the person confirmed that is not the norm.

I think I read in one of the live threads they were just going up and down to give the most rides. The first few days of the crossing were rough and it was closed so they are trying to get as many people on as possible. I think the person confirmed that is not the norm.

What type of ride you can get depends on weather, wind, and sea conditions. When I was on (once so far) we just went up and down (this was just after leaving Porta Delgada in the Azores, where we did a medical evacuation via the pilot boat). I understand that they don't go out over the sides if the wind is too strong (and probably based on direction too).

I am glad I took the Northstar for a test in Southampton after boarding. I was in the second group they took up and we did go out over the side that day.

I had a 15 minute wait and was able to digitally sign all my waivers during that time.

While the staff member did state the exact number of degrees we would go out to the side on that occasion, I can not remember the exact number but I did get photos of the side of the ship, but we were just over the wall of the terminal closest to the ship.

• 4 weeks later...
When North Star ventures over the side of the ship, how many decks of balcony staterooms find their privacy breached?

I didn't know one had any privacy to be breached from the outside. :confused:

Until lines die way down, the rides will likely continue to be limited to just up and down - they don't have time to venture out over the sides.

Edited by Biker19

I didn't know one had any privacy to be breached from the outside. :confused:

Until lines die way down, the rides will likely continue to be limited to just up and down - they don't have time to venture out over the sides.

As they explained on the ship (assuming that they were being truthful) they are limited to up and down rides while the ship is in port due to restrictions imposed by port authorities. Some have reported that their rides took them over the sides of the ship so we shall see when we are onboard and in warmer climes in a few months. Not sure that the typical ride would take any longer if it included lateral movements.

On the 8 day trip, North Star did up and down in Bayonne and Nassau. The southbound sea days I didn't see it working at all, nor Port Canaveral, which I think was a combination of weather and technical related.

On the northbound sea days, many rides did up and also over the side of the ship. Even those going over the side of the ship, the total ride time was only just over 5 minutes (I timed a couple of rides and they were about 5 mins 15 seconds from doors closed to open).

They seem to be still working out the best way to manage demand. I saw several versions, including queues right around the ship and breakfast time giving out of tickets.

I rode North Star on day 6 which was the missed port of call of Cococay. It was fairly windy that day and you could feel it when North Star went up. We did go over the side of the ship, too.

We did the Northstar. There was a very short line Day 5 as we headed to Nassau. Unfortunately, they had to shut down the NS since a lightning strike messed up the electronics. I heard it opened later that day. Our tickets were useless. We waited 45 minutes on Day 7 and got to go up in the NS. It went up and over to the Port side, next time it went up and over to the Starboard side. They told us they can take 600 people a day...many people did not know how to get tickets...some people went up more than once over the 8 days.

Edited by JMG

Is there a cost to go on the North Star? I don't see it anywhere on the RCI website.

There is no cost no matter how many times you go up on it. Usually not much of a line when the ship is in port. But, when in port, the North Star will ONLY go up and down. They go out over the side of the ship on sea days only. At least this was the policy on our Dec 1st cruise. On sea days it is more busy. They start going up at 9:00am. Best to get up there a bit before 9:00 to get tickets (free) for the time slot you are interested in going.

If you are passing by and want to go on the ride, you can always ask if there are any openings for the next ride. Sometimes people who get the tickets for the time slot do not show up.