Waiting for cabin assignment!

Cruisetini

8 days from boarding and we finally got our suite assignment. Went from a VH guarantee to a VA midship we are very pleased. I may only do guarantee from now on.

Congratulations! We do only guarantees. There have been 2 times we weren't upgraded at all, and the other dozen (give or take) times we got good upgrades.

As long as you go in knowing you could get just what you paid for, it's a good way to go IMHO. I know there are horror stories out there about terrible assignments, but so far we have never gotten a bad cabin.

We have done several guarantees (using last minute prices) as well as cruises where we choose our own cabin. On guarantees, as often as not, we are assigned a cabin with a door to the adjoining cabin. These are often in great locations - they just adjoin someone else's space. This implies that these cabins, as a choice, do not sell out.

Two downsides to the adjoining cabin IMHO-

1 - on some ships the door arrangement is such that there is one less closet - or a shorter couch in the cabin. On short cruises this is a non-issue for us. If we were to inhabit our cabin for, say, 40 days we would want to select our cabin and avoid the adjoining cabins.

2 - noise is an issue - of course that depends on how much noise you or your neighbors produce. We recently spent 26 days in an adjoining cabin in a fantastic location on a grand cruise where, as a "segmenter" we were not allowed the luxury of cabin choice. Our neighbors were as quiet as mice - I hope we were also. But, one day I could hear someone wadding up paper through the door so sound does transmit - we all were just careful and mostly avoided the use of the TV. On a different cruise, seven days on the same ship - again we had a great location with an adjoining door - and it seemed the cabin next door was full of kids. They were definitely not as quiet but the noise was mostly during the day. Only time it was really bad was when someone left a repeating video or something on loud all day - not sure they were even in the cabin. Then we did come close to calling the front desk.

We are not opposed to guarantees as they can be inexpensive enough to allow us to travel much more - but we are judicious in using them. On our spring transatlantic we have selected a nice midships cabin as insurance against rough seas. On a seven day bargain cruise - we take our chances and agree to be flexible.

If you are not flexible - choose your cabin and do not do the guarantee.

• 1 year later...
I have a SY guarantee with 21 days left before the cruise. All suites are sold out and I presume they will not bump me down out of a suite, so I wonder why I haven't been assigned yet. Maybe they save a few back? Gonna have fun in any event!
Welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

At this point they are trying to do upsells. Assignments of GTYs usually happen between 14 and 7 days out, but could come as late as at the pier. Good Luck!

Edited by jtl513

I have a SY guarantee with 21 days left before the cruise. All suites are sold out and I presume they will not bump me down out of a suite, so I wonder why I haven't been assigned yet. Maybe they save a few back? Gonna have fun in any event!

As noted by jtl513, you likely have some time to wait. Hope you get a nice SS!

• 2 weeks later...
We got our cabin assignment yesterday!!!!! (12 days before sailing). Got a one category upgrade to an SS. It is cabin 6082 and it is right next to the glass elevator! I have read a lot of comments about this cabin, and I am delighted!

Congrats! 12 days out is our usual number of days out to get our assignments. That means I have another 12 days to wait give or take. :)

We got our cabin assignment yesterday!!!!! (12 days before sailing). Got a one category upgrade to an SS. It is cabin 6082 and it is right next to the glass elevator! I have read a lot of comments about this cabin, and I am delighted!

SUPER!! Have a great cruise and come back and let us all know how you liked your assignment and the ship