Adventure Ocean question

Hi there- This is going to be our very first cruise!! It will be my husband and I plus our two daughters, 11 and 12. My question is how flexible is the Adventure Ocean program if my daughters want to stay together. I see the break down is 9-11 and 12-14. I think my daughters might enjoy it more if they can stay together.

Thanks for helping...I am sure this is the first of MANY questions.

Your older daughter should be able to drop an age group, but they may have fun meeting new friends.

They can both sign themselves in and out (if you permit it doe the 11yo). The program for 12 to 14 year old is basically just a venue to hang out and meet, while the program for 9 to 11 year olds is more structured.

Thanks for your quick reply. You said that they can come and go which would be nice. I thought I was told that I needed to sign them out. They are both very responsible and mature so I was hoping that they would have some freedom.

Have you had kids in there? Do they have fun or is it just a way for parents to have alone time? I have not told my kids about the cruise yet and when I do, I want to be able to describe the Adventure Ocean a little bit better.

My kids are younger (first cruise was this time last year, oldest had just turned 7 and youngest turned 4 during the cruise) but enjoyed Adventure Ocean. My littlest is prone to separation anxiety so didn't go too often, but my biggest asked to go even in the evenings. They had movies, played games, did crafts. He has a pillowcase he decorated one evening! We also did some family activities, too. On Celebrity a couple of months ago, all ages were in the same room so my littlest was happy to be with his brother and went more often. I really hope they'll both participate during our Panama Canal cruise next year!

Kid's over 9 may sign themselves out, with parents permission. I would allow them to come and go to SPECIFIC places...but I would NOT allow them to "roam"....Tell them where you'll be, and they can come to you and physically "check in" with you, before they go elsewhere!

They are both at the age where they'll enjoy AO....it's not "babysitting" by any means!

My granddaughter was 10 when we brought her on Oasis in June, she loved Adventure Ocean and wanted to go every night - and begged to stay when we would come to pick her up! She made a lot of friends that week, and she also really enjoyed the camp counselors. We did not allow her to sign herself out since it was her first cruise - when we go back on Oasis in May of next year, we will allow her the privilege to sign herself out.

Looks like the others have summed things up pretty nicely, but yes, my 13yo daughter and 11yo son used it on our first cruise on Explorer.

My son loved it and we could hardly break him away. My daughter made lots of friends, but didn't spend as much time at the teen room-- mainly seem to be a meeting point for her friends.

Thanks for your quick reply. You said that they can come and go which would be nice. I thought I was told that I needed to sign them out. They are both very responsible and mature so I was hoping that they would have some freedom.

Have you had kids in there? Do they have fun or is it just a way for parents to have alone time? I have not told my kids about the cruise yet and when I do, I want to be able to describe the Adventure Ocean a little bit better.

We took our first cruise on Grandeur last year., and sailing on her again I. Two weeks for Thanksgiving. She is a great ship - your kids will love the ship. The AO has four separate rooms - the nursery for kids up to 3 years, two main AO rooms for 3-5 and 6-8, and the teen room. Now, I thin they combine the 9-11 group with either the younger or older group - I cannot remember which way they go, but will ask on our upcoming cruise.

I posted a review and all the AO compasses from our cruise (see link in my signature), I do not think it covers the teens, but it will give you an idea of the activities for your younger child.

Adventure Ocean is the Kids Club for those kids 11YO and younger. At the younger age levels within AO, you will be required to sign the kids in and out. As they age, you can specifically give your child sign-in/out privileges when you initially sign them up for the program at the beginning of your cruise.

Ages 12 and up is the Teen Club. There is no sign-in/out for Teen Club program. The Teen program is less structured. While the teen program may have some activities scheduled, most of the teens use the club to meet up and sometimes to hang out. The teen program will schedule scavenger hunts, game tournaments, dances and pool parties

Kids these ages prefer less direction and to do their own thing. A lot of the boys will meet up and play video games or hit the sports court. The girls are more likely to watch videos and chat. There are board games and other stuff available both at the teen club and elsewhere on-board.

You may want to let your 11YO "try" AO, but ask if she would be allowed to age "up" to the teen program. Realize though that there will be 16 and 17YOs in the teen club area. There are also some of the older kids that will get "turned off" if little kids (11YO) are allowed in their club and then the teens will avoid the club and find other areas in which to congregate. I've seen some people request their 12YOs to be aged "down" to AO group as well. It really depends upon the maturity level and personality of the kids as to whether they are "ready" for teen club or if they would be bored in the AO program.

I was concerned when we were scheduled to cruise 1 month after my DD had turned 12YO, would she be able to handle the teen club? She went to the first night mixer party met up with four other 12YO girls and the five were inseperable for the remainder of the cruise. They did the club sponsored rock climbing contest, a few of the scavenger hunts, and dropped into a few of the parties; but mainly entertained themselves -- swimming, mini golfing, dining together, board games in the game room, freebie on-demand movies in one of the cabins (with parental consent only).

Adventure Ocean is the Kids Club for those kids 11YO and younger. At the younger age levels within AO, you will be required to sign the kids in and out. As they age, you can specifically give your child sign-in/out privileges when you initially sign them up for the program at the beginning of your cruise.

Ages 12 and up is the Teen Club. There is no sign-in/out for Teen Club program. The Teen program is less structured. While the teen program may have some activities scheduled, most of the teens use the club to meet up and sometimes to hang out. The teen program will schedule scavenger hunts, game tournaments, dances and pool parties

Kids these ages prefer less direction and to do their own thing. A lot of the boys will meet up and play video games or hit the sports court. The girls are more likely to watch videos and chat. There are board games and other stuff available both at the teen club and elsewhere on-board.

You may want to let your 11YO "try" AO, but ask if she would be allowed to age "up" to the teen program. Realize though that there will be 16 and 17YOs in the teen club area. There are also some of the older kids that will get "turned off" if little kids (11YO) are allowed in their club and then the teens will avoid the club and find other areas in which to congregate. I've seen some people request their 12YOs to be aged "down" to AO group as well. It really depends upon the maturity level and personality of the kids as to whether they are "ready" for teen club or if they would be bored in the AO program.

I was concerned when we were scheduled to cruise 1 month after my DD had turned 12YO, would she be able to handle the teen club? She went to the first night mixer party met up with four other 12YO girls and the five were inseperable for the remainder of the cruise. They did the club sponsored rock climbing contest, a few of the scavenger hunts, and dropped into a few of the parties; but mainly entertained themselves -- swimming, mini golfing, dining together, board games in the game room, freebie on-demand movies in one of the cabins (with parental consent only).

This was very helpful! Thank you so much...I know that my 11 yo will not "age up" just because of maturity, but my 12 yo might want to "age down" or NOT...who knows with these girls. :)

Check out this link. There are two versions of the 12-14 planner. In post 2, the poster has a link to the AO compasses for ages 3-5, 6-8, and 9-11), and also the 12-14 group. On my cruise on the Freedom in June 2014, it looked a little different for the 12-14 group, so I posted those as well in post 7. However, mine were 9, 9, and 11 at the time, so I don't have any input for the teen club since mine didn't use it. I'm hoping in July 2015 my 12 year old can go down to the 9-11 club because I'm not thrilled with any of my children wandering around on a huge ship with people I don't know. We'll just have to see.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2116636

Check out this link. There are two versions of the 12-14 planner. In post 2, the poster has a link to the AO compasses for ages 3-5, 6-8, and 9-11), and also the 12-14 group. On my cruise on the Freedom in June 2014, it looked a little different for the 12-14 group, so I posted those as well in post 7. However, mine were 9, 9, and 11 at the time, so I don't have any input for the teen club since mine didn't use it. I'm hoping in July 2015 my 12 year old can go down to the 9-11 club because I'm not thrilled with any of my children wandering around on a huge ship with people I don't know. We'll just have to see.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2116636

Thank you so much for this information...when it comes time to tell my girls about the cruise, I feel like I can give them more information than before. Still not sure where I will put them or how much freedom I will give them, but we can play that by ear when we get a feel of the ship and attend the open house.

Anyone ever use walkie talkies with their kids on the ship?

We tried Walkie talkies and they never worked. We are going to look at a texting plan for our cruise in July, apparently Verizon has a cruise plan where it's 50 cents for an outgoing text, need to do kore research. My kids don't have phones, but they'll just take mine and we'll keep my husband's with us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We used walkie talkies on our first cruise with mixed results. They seemed to function fine, it's just that the kids either wouldn't hear or would disregard them, so they seem to work better for the kids attempting to contact me then the other way around.

Another consideration is that the cheapest models won't really work out that well, because of their low power output and lack of digital squelch and coding, so you'll have to outlive a bit of cash for a good set. The digital squelch lets you share channels with other users without having to hear everyone else is conversations. Would also recommend a vibrating alert function, so you can keep the radio volume turned down and still be reached.

I would consider the texting option, but it can get real pricey if you receive any phone calls, even missed calls, or heaven forbid inadvertently make a phone call... [emoji33] [emoji33] [emoji33]

Did Vision in July with my 11 yo son, one of his 11 yo friends and the friends 14 yo older sister.

My son has always enjoyed AO, but this was tricky since one of the 3 were teen level and 2 were AO. We ended up "bumping them up" so all 3 were in the teen side. Brother and Sister enjoyed it, my son hated it.

They combined the 12-14 and 15-18 yo groups and it was definitely older teen heavy so he just was not comfortable "hanging" with the older teens and asked to spend time with us instead.

No problem we enjoyed ourselves still but I am a little disappointed at the lack of activities for the 12-14 group.

There seems to be an abrupt transition from the fully supervised, lots of activities AO kids club to the completely unsupervised, very few activities (most were cancelled due to not enough kids) teen club.

I hope they will let my 12 year old (she will be 12 at the time of sailing) in the 9-11 group with her sisters. I certainly don't want her in with 15-17 year olds. She's already 5'4" and still growing so she looks much older than her 11 1/2 years right now.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Kids will be 13 and 11 a month after the cruise in December. Can they move up?

Very doubtful they will allow a 10 yr old into the teen area. The ages are 12-14 and 15-17 and are combined at times. There is a huge maturity difference between a 10 yr old and a 17 yr old. Not a move up I would even consider.

Just as a point of reference and with NO fault of the AO staff etc, my 12 year old son wanted nothing to do with Adventure Ocean... or the arcade for that matter.

We had our kids on (12 and 8) and all they wanted to do was be with us.

I had thought they would enjoy it, make friends etc... they just wanted to stay and do what my hubby and I did.

I was thrilled and enjoyed every second of the cruise but I did go in thinking about AO as an option.

We forced them to go for an hour on the first sea day, and that was the extent of their time there.

Just as another side to the AO conversation..

Safe Travels

Chass