Open toed sandals on formal night; pantyhose or not?

I am planning to wear a full length evening gown with open toed dressy sandals. But is it okay to wear pantyhose with the sandals? I've always been told that you don't wear pantyhose with sandals and that your toes should be bare. However, what do you do with dressy sandals? Somehow, it seems to me that bare toes are just too casual for a formal gown. What do you fashion experts advise?

Lynda

Disney Magic, Oct 04

Majesty of the Seas, Aug 04

Enchantment of the Seas,Apr 04

Disney Wonder, Oct 02

Disney Wonder, Jan 02

a man's opinion... no hose with open toed sandals... in fact, just say no to hose in general... my gf almost never wears them and looks great... hope you have a great time... icon_cool.gif

No hose is right...it looks much better and formal enough w/out hose.

Kim

Dawn Princess

Regal Princess

Grand Princess

Mercury - Celebrity

Windward - NCL

Monarch of the Seas

Voyager of the Seas

Sovereign of the Seas

You don't think it looks kind of "unfinished" to see bare toes with formal wear?

Lynda

Disney Magic, Oct 04

Disney Wonder, Oct 02

Disney Wonder, Jan 02

This thread resurfaces from time to time. Here's what others have said:

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=8170905551&m=810102801

and

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=8170905551&m=25210446

I think it's a choice but you wouldn't catch me dead in the Caribbean w/ hose on.

Trish

Hi, I think you wear what you feel most comfortable inicon_smile.gif.

We are all different people and only each person knows what feels best on them.

I have a couple of pairs of open toe shoes...one dress I wore was knee length...there was no way I was going to wear that dress without hose...it would have looked awful icon_frown.gif. I wore very sheer nude hose with my open toes dressy

sandels...I felt very "finished" and in my opinion looked very nice. icon_wink.gif

Actually if you check out my pictures below...you will see the outfit. It is on CENTURY May 2003...the red dress.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful cruiseicon_smile.gif.

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

If you're wearing a "slide" type sandal,(open in back and you slide your foot in) then I would say bare toes only.

However, if your sandal has a strap in the back, it looks more like a formal shoe. And in that case, then either bare toes OR *very* sheer hose would be fine. That's why they make "sandalfoot" hose.

However, bare feet and evening gowns are now acceptable in warm weather so you have the option of either way.

In either case, pedicures are not optional! icon_biggrin.gif

Jane

No hose is my preference. If you need the extra control from hose I would use the footless control garment, such as "spanx" (search QVC). I also like to use a shimmer lotion on my leg and foot to dress them up a little. I think it is Neutragena's that I have, but there are several you can buy at any drug store.

Patty

Pride of Aloha

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;7;18;20;0;00&timezone=GMT-1000

My vote is for no hose, but wear what you feel comfortable in. I base my fashion sense on what all the ladies in hollywood are wearing and from what I have seen on the net and TV is formals with no hose from the stars. icon_wink.gif

Caribbean Princess in 5 DAYS!!

Boy am I glad that I found this thread! Even though I'm sure it will be hot & humid in the Caribbean in August/September, I'm usually much more comfortable WITH hose than without - I feel like they enhance (translation: hold-in, shape and control!) my figure and give me a smoother/less bumpy look in curve-hugging clothes. I say hose for me, but whatever makes you look & feel beautiful for your own body. icon_smile.gif

Enjoy your cruise!

Time 'til Mariner on 8/29/04 -- our first cruise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;8;29;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Like nosnobunny above, I thought absolutely hose with evening clothes. Especially me with very light skin. However, I noticed on our last several cruises that most women are not wearing them with their strappy, dressy sandals and long dresses.

So, I stopped wearing them, too, and I am a lot more comfy without them. I agree: pedicure and moisturize them toosties just before you leave for dinner!

Peggy - RCI since 1973

Speaking as a very pale-skinned redhead, I never wear a dress of any kind without hose. My legs are dreadfully pasty, and no matter how carefully applied, the tan-in-a-can always is blotchy on my toes and heels.

6/27 Amsterdam Alaska

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;6;27;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

I'm with you or-ee-gun, being a pasty-skinned brunette. DH calls my skin color "fish belly white" HA!

Anyway, I'll wear sandals without hose, but ONLY with floor length dresses or pants, so my legs don't show. Actually, a pale foot with pretty toes and an nice strappy sandal is very attractive in my opinion. But, forget showing any more of my blinding white skin.... icon_biggrin.gif

Peggy - RCI since 1973

I agree with the pedicure. I have one almost every week because it feels soooo good icon_biggrin.gif I would not wear hose but I know you can buy hose made for sandals with no toes. I guess it depends on how strappy your sandals are and how that would look. IMHO, do what you are comfortable with and just have fun icon_wink.gif

Judy

Cruisin in July on the Golden Princess

I definitely agree with the pedicure! And I will be wearing slides with my dress i.e. sandals with no backs. It looks like the primary consensus here is to wear what I'm comfortable with! Thanks everyone for your advice! I'm still not quite sure what I'll do; I'm kind of leaning towards the no hose.

Lynda

Disney Magic, Oct 04

Disney Wonder, Oct 02

Disney Wonder, Jan 02

I USED to wear pantyhose with all kinds of shoes, but no more. I've noticed the majority of women with open toed sandals do not wear them. I was of course checking out their cute shoes. icon_smile.gif

bookworm2.gif

Navigator OTS 10/04

Legend 04/04

Grand Princess 09/03

Dawn Princess 01/03

Enchantment OTS 10/02

Destiny 01/02

Sensation 08/99

Thanks sgtmonz! Will do! And BTW, I did appreciate hearing a man's point of view!

Lynda

Disney Magic, Oct 04

Disney Wonder, Oct 02

Disney Wonder, Jan 02

I think hose should be outlawed on cruises period! icon_smile.gif But I'm from Texas where it's usually just too darn hot for hose and I hate them in general because I have more problem with what rolls over the top of them than controlling what's in them. heehee Good luck & enjoy your cruise!

8/1/04 Rhapsody of the Seas!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;8;1;12;00;00&timezone=GMT+0200

<a href=http://www.marklovessarah.com>Mark Loves Sarah.com</a>

Egyptian Nile Cruise 5/04

Carnival Victory 12/03

<a href=http://www.geocities.com/saraheg77/cruise2.html>Cruise Critic Pics from my First Cruise!</a>

<a href=http://www.geocities.com/saraheg77/cruise.html>More Cruise Pics!</a>

Ok, I HATE pantyhouse and NEVER wear it in warm weather. I have a bad back (spinal fusion on my lower back...with more degeneration..possibly antother operation at some point icon_frown.gif ) and most pantyhose just KILLS my lower back. I do wear it in winter when I HAVE to...but ughhhhh. So in the summer I get a pedicure often and moisturize my legs. Ok that's ME.

Now YOU should do what you feel comfotable with! But if you do wear hose, make sure they are sandal foot and very sheer. But if you are worried about not looking "finished" without hose on formal night, I bet most women won't be wearing hose.

ok, thats my humble opinion lol.

*******Proud member of O.A.T.C.******

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;6;12;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

6/12/04 2nd Anniversary on The Carnival Miracle

inlove.gif

6/2003 Carnival Legend

1st Anniversary

inlove.gif

6/2002 Celebrity Mercury

Honeymoon

Archived