Can I wear velour on a Caribbean cruise?

Hello fashion mavens! I need your opinions...

I have a gown that I still haven't worn, need to have it altered. The top is a lightweight navy-blue velour halter, and the bottom is taffeta-like but not as dramatic or stiff. I need to have it taken in on top (bought it a size too big), and will hem the bottom a bit and add narrow crinolines or a poufy slip underneath to give it kind of a 50's silhouette (kind of like my wedding gown, really hid the hips). Now my questions: Can I wear this type of fabric on a warm Caribbean cruise, and what length should I have this gown hemmed to? Ankle? Just below the knee? FYI - I'm 42 and, heck, let's call it Reubenesque. icon_smile.gif

Oh yeah - and what color shoes will go with this? I haven't seen anything in a matching dark blue, and I know black won't work.

Thanks so much for your help!

Time 'til Mariner on 8/29/04 -- our first cruise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;8;29;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Go for it-even though it may be warm outside, the enclosed areas of the ship are air-conditioned and so you should'nt have any problem. Have you considered having the hem done tea length (shorter in the front tapering into ankle length in the back? I find the style very flattering and unique. As far as shoes go-consider going to a store that dyes shoes (wedding and even some chains) you may be able to get a good match this way.

I really like these boards because of the different and honest opinions! icon_wink.gif

For me, I would not wear it during a summer cruise. I guess I have the notion in my mind that it's a holiday fabric and something much too warm icon_eek.gif to be worn during summer months.

Enjoy your upcoming cruise! icon_cool.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2005;04;02;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

OUR NEXT ONWARD JOURNEY!

I say wear it since only the top is velour and it can be quite chilly in the interior public places on the ship. icon_smile.gif I personally prefer the ankle length, but you could go with which ever length suits you best.

bookworm2.gif

Navigator OTS 10/04

Legend 04/04

Grand Princess 09/03

Dawn Princess 01/03

Enchantment OTS 10/02

Destiny 01/02

Sensation 08/99

I was just glad to hear you're speaking of a dress instead of a men's suit... I'm engaged and my fiance keeps teasing me about getting a purple velour or crushed velvet suit. I just keep rolling my eyes at him icon_biggrin.gif

To the subject, if it's a halter top, I doubt you're really get too hot, especially with the a/c so if you want to wear it, go for it. I agree with Andee that silver shoes would probably work if you can't find navy. Good luck!

8/1/04 Rhapsody of the Seas!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;8;1;12;00;00&timezone=GMT+0200

<a href=http://www.marklovessarah.com>Mark Loves Sarah.com</a>

Egyptian Nile Cruise 5/04

Carnival Victory 12/03

<a href=http://www.geocities.com/saraheg77/cruise2.html>Cruise Critic Pics from my First Cruise!</a>

<a href=http://www.geocities.com/saraheg77/cruise.html>More Cruise Pics!</a>

what about velour on a november carribean cruise?

deborah

rhapsody of the seas 4/27/03

carnival conquest 10/5/03

star/hawaii 4/25/04

<MARQUEE> at286.gif

<MARQUEE]

grand princess 11/13/04... departs glaveston!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;13;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Velour is great for cruises from October through March, but like some of the others I think velour is not the best choice for summer cruising. I think it's just too holiday looking.

Darcie

Hi again ladies,

Thanks very much for all of your input. I'm still not 100% sure what I'm going to do about this dress, except that I'm definitely getting it hemmed to ankle- or tea-length. The halter top part of it really is pretty bare, so I'm thinking that if I don't find anything else better at the summer sales I might still go with it. If any of you are on my cruise and see this stunning icon_biggrin.gif lady in a blue velour halter dress, please don't let me know if you think I look ridiculous! I'll just read all about it here later on....

Happy cruising everyone! icon_smile.gif

Time 'til Mariner on 8/29/04 -- our first cruise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;8;29;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I've seen velvet and velour on formal nights every month of the year. I think you should wear it, and the tea length hem sounds fabulous with a the halter top.

If you have the hem shorter in front, then the lower legs and feet are going to be "framed" very nicely. I think a pair of feminine dressy sandals would look great, either silver or a contrasting/complimentary blue color. I have a pair of medium blue sandals with silver beading, and they looked great with a navy floor length chiffon gown.

JMHO

Peggy - RCI since 1973

Archived