Gem Renovations

pixiedustdawn

Yes, they would be unless the photographer decided to make them copyright free. Photos are considered a work of artistic endeavor, and as such are granted automatic copyright. (Speaking about US laws) You aren't allowed to just take and post, change, etc., photos off the internet just because you want to. Not that that stops people from doing it every day, but it's not actually legal to do so, unless you get permission from the photographer.

Without going thru the formal registration of copyright for each image, it is harder to fight copyright infringement, but if you care enough about it as a photographer, it can be done.

Yes, they are copyrighted. However, that doesn't mean they cannot be copied without explicit permission. Re-posting them falls under "Fair Use."

Sorry, but it's not "fair use" to take an entire copyrighted work and copy (re-post) it.

O boy, how do we know that permission was not giving?

it's not like anybody is making money from the pics.

I think most would just be happy to see some pictures

Sorry, but it's not "fair use" to take an entire copyrighted work and copy (re-post) it.

Depends. Was the use done for profit? No. Was it done for educational purposes or for commentary? Yes. Does this prevent the copyright holder from making money on their pictures? Who exactly is paying to see these pictures?

I am in total awe with the work that has been done on the Gem in such little time. I will take more photos and upload them on Friday.

I understand and respect Mr. DelRio's reasoning behind keeping the older ships that everyone loves so much and refitting them instead of just building new ones and forgetting about the older ones.

The Gem has a big following here especially in the Tri-state area. Now all her frequent guests can look forward to coming back to see a brand new sparkly ship as well as all the first time cruisers on her will also enjoy the new look.

:)

Dawn

Thanks pixiedustdawn for keeping us all in the loop with your pics! Many of us have tried to join the Facebook page Gem/Norwegian Freestyle Cruisers to no avail. Cant wait for the big reveal Friday in NYC!!!! I pray to the cruise Gods that the suites were updated. I'm in a SC cabin and the purple and green is not my favorite palette. Lol.

Sent from my SM-N915P using Tapatalk

I am in total awe with the work that has been done on the Gem in such little time. I will take more photos and upload them on Friday.

I understand and respect Mr. DelRio's reasoning behind keeping the older ships that everyone loves so much and refitting them instead of just building new ones and forgetting about the older ones.

The Gem has a big following here especially in the Tri-state area. Now all her frequent guests can look forward to coming back to see a brand new sparkly ship as well as all the first time cruisers on her will also enjoy the new look.

:)

Dawn

Dawn,so looking forward to it, already was excited

about going back on our beloved Gem in May

and now even more so. Thanks for all the updates!

Marion

I had a nightmare they took the hot tubs off the decks of the Deluxe Owner's Suites!! That is the only thing they could do to the ship that would make me sad. Although, a little sad about the bowling! Can't wait to see the new pictures, read brand new reviews of the changes, and sail on a whole new ship in June!

I had a nightmare they took the hot tubs off the decks of the Deluxe Owner's Suites!! That is the only thing they could do to the ship that would make me sad. Although, a little sad about the bowling! Can't wait to see the new pictures, read brand new reviews of the changes, and sail on a whole new ship in June!

O no please, not the Hot Tub I sure that nightmare

will not be reality, I get a lot of use out of it,one

of the best thing about the DOS

Marion

Thanks pixiedustdawn for keeping us all in the loop with your pics! Many of us have tried to join the Facebook page Gem/Norwegian Freestyle Cruisers to no avail. Cant wait for the big reveal Friday in NYC!!!! I pray to the cruise Gods that the suites were updated. I'm in a SC cabin and the purple and green is not my favorite palette. Lol.

Sent from my SM-N915P using Tapatalk

We re in a SC in January. When you sail, please report back to us.

Thanks so much. Enjoy your upcoming cruise.

Yes, they are copyrighted. However, that doesn't mean they cannot be copied without explicit permission. Re-posting them falls under "Fair Use."

Fair use is a vague element of copyright law, and doesn't expressly say anyone can repost whatever they want to. So I wouldn't copy and paste someone else's photo without permission, because the right to do so is not specifically granted. The copyright holder can still seek damages, and if their argument is reasonable, one can be liable for copyright infringement. Some instances of posting others work would be allowed, and some won't. There are four elements that are evaluated to determine if copyright has been infringed on with online images

Edited by 3kidsncats

When did this thread become Law and Order???? Good grief. It's not that serious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did not intend to go off topic, apologize for that -- but I was astounded at the one members comment, that read as snipey and condescending, about was the image someone shared without apparent permission (or acknowledgement that it was someone else's work) copyrighted. And if it's not your work, you really don't know if it's serious or not.

As an amateur photographer whose work within a certain fan community has been copied, reposted without credit, and even artistically changed, I'm a bit of a stickler for respecting other people's work. Too many people have no idea that internet photos are not theirs for the taking

Edited by 3kidsncats

My point is this thread is for Gem Renovations. I'm looking for intel and pics, but had to scroll past pages of unsolicited legal advice.

None of you know the origin of the pics or whether or not permission (if even necessary) was granted. I find it pretty presumptuous for the accusation to even be made.

Perhaps another thread can be started to discuss the legality and ethics behind posting internet forum pics. But I can pretty much guarantee you the majority of the people on this thread are here for Gem Renovation pics and info ONLY and just want to see more!

My point is this thread is for Gem Renovations. I'm looking for intel and pics, but had to scroll past pages of unsolicited legal advice.

None of you know the origin of the pics or whether or not permission (if even necessary) was granted. I find it pretty presumptuous for the accusation to even be made.

Perhaps another thread can be started to discuss the legality and ethics behind posting internet forum pics. But I can pretty much guarantee you the majority of the people on this thread are here for Gem Renovation pics and info ONLY and just want to see more!

I acknowledged and apologized for contributing to an existing off topic set of comments, but I did not start the off topic issue -- if you don't want to discuss it, then stop posting about it. I will be happy to do the same. I made no accusations -- I merely pointed out some basics of photo copyright. The photographer whose photos were posted seemed to indicate in this thread that they had not given permission -- so reasonable to think permission was not given.

I acknowledged and apologized for contributing to an existing off topic set of comments, but I did not start the off topic issue -- if you don't want to discuss it, then stop posting about it. I will be happy to do the same. I made no accusations -- I merely pointed out some basics of photo copyright. The photographer whose photos were posted seemed to indicate in this thread that they had not given permission -- so reasonable to think permission was not given.

So you know, someone took pics from my social site and posted them here. That person was asked about it by me and it was all resolved. No harm done. All is well. That person was excited to get them out for everyone to see and didn't realize I wanted to post them here, but larger.

Thanks for looking out.

Edited by pixiedustdawn

So you know, someone took pics from my social site and posted them here. That person was asked about it by me and it was all resolved. No harm done. All is well. That person was excited to get them out for everyone to see and didn't realize I wanted to post them here, but larger.

Thanks for looking out.

You're welcome. I did see that part, and also saw the resolution. I just wanted to throw in some support to you, for your efforts to bring everyone the photos and updates. Certainly wasn't trying to start anything, lol. I've been enjoying your photos and info, even with no current plans to sail the Gem. Very much appreciate the time and effort!