Pacific Inn, Long Beach

HMSDingy

Anyone ever stay there? Have a booking in San Pedro but I'm curious about Long Beach hotels.

Never stayed there...but...

It's NOT in Long Beach...

It is in Seal Beach--the next town east of Long Beach...So, it it quite a distance from the port...You'd be about 13-15 miles on local streets (with lots of traffic and stop lights), depending on rout...or 27 miles by freeway...from the Cruise Port in San Pedro...

You would be in Seal Beach...which is a nice, but somewhat dull, sleepy little beach town best known for its Naval Weapons Station and its wildlife preserve...NOT in the tourist area of Long Beach one thinks about when one says "Long Beach Hotels"...

If you want Long Beach, stick to one of these:

Hyatt Regency

Hyatt at the Pike

Renaissance

Westin

Hilton

Residence Inn Downtown

Maya Doubletree

Maybe the Queen Mary--if you want old, cramped and nostalgic...

If you want convenience to your ship, stay in San Pedro:

Crowne Plaza

Doubletree

Anyone ever stay there? Have a booking in San Pedro but I'm curious about Long Beach hotels.

And as Steve has said, a real convenience to staying in SP for a pre-cruise day is that you'll get shuttled over to the port the next day. With Long Beach hotels, you'll have to make sure your driver takes you to SP and not the Port of LB.

We have stayed at the Pacific Inn and it is not a high end hotel. However I would disagree with Bruin Steve that Seal Beach is a dull town. Lots of neat places to eat and a beautiful uncrowded beach.

When we lives in S. Cal we went there all of the time.:)

We have stayed at the Pacific Inn and it is not a high end hotel. However I would disagree with Bruin Steve that Seal Beach is a dull town. Lots of neat places to eat and a beautiful uncrowded beach.

Okay...There's Jack Haley's restaurant--Captain Jack's...no, wait...that is actually in Sunset Beach...

There's the Naval Weapons Station...and the Wildlife Preserve....

...and, yes, a nice, uncrowded beach...It is uncrowded since Seal Beach is not exactly abuzz with activity...

Yes, a nice, relaxing little beach town...But not exactly the place to stay for a night before cruising out of San Pedro...

Unless the OP is going to be there between June and October, it will be a bit uncrowded because it'll be too cold to be at the beach.

Okay...There's Jack Haley's restaurant--Captain Jack's...no, wait...that is actually in Sunset Beach...

There's the Naval Weapons Station...and the Wildlife Preserve....

...and, yes, a nice, uncrowded beach...It is uncrowded since Seal Beach is not exactly abuzz with activity...

Yes, a nice, relaxing little beach town...But not exactly the place to stay for a night before cruising out of San Pedro...

Merely a matter of personal opinion.:) We love Seal Beach and as I have stated on this forum before, just because I like something doesn't mean others will like it. Same principle applies that just because you don't like it, others won't like it.:):)

I note that you live in Calabasas so I don't know how much time you spend in Seal Beach, but actually Main St. in Seal Beach is usually abuzz with activity.:)

When we lived in Orange County we spent many a day and nght in that town.

Oh, you forgot to mention the pier.;)

Unless the OP is going to be there between June and October' date=' it will be a bit uncrowded because it'll be too cold to be at the beach.[/quote']

Having lived in Southern California for over 35 years, I am familiar with the weather.:)

I'm unfamiliar with the LA area. I have a booking at the Crowne in San Pedro but I'm curious as to what other options that are available. The list of hotels Bruin Steve lists in Long Beach are a tad too expensive and it looks like even Super Shuttle is more expensive to Long Beach. Tks for the recommendations but it looks like we'll stick with our original choice.

Having lived in Southern California for over 35 years, I am familiar with the weather.:)

I'm unfamiliar with the LA area. I have a booking at the Crowne in San Pedro but I'm curious as to what other options that are available. The list of hotels Bruin Steve lists in Long Beach are a tad too expensive and it looks like even Super Shuttle is more expensive to Long Beach. Tks for the recommendations but it looks like we'll stick with our original choice.

My post was really more for the OP and others who may have never been in Southern California. As my view outside right now can attest to, it's not always sunny here. In fact, it looks like it could rain, which is something we can desperately use this year. Unlike the Caribbean where you can go to the beach in November, or if you belong to the Polar Bear Club, you might not want to dip your toes in the Pacific off of our coast on a day like today.

HMS Dingy, don't try to second guess yourself. If you're coming in the day before your cruise, you'll be fine where you've booked. You might want to check out the San Pedro thread here that was started by one of the local store owners and get some recommendations of a nearby restaurant to eat or nearby stores if you need to pick up something for your cruise (the store owner has a wine store, but you can also shop for wine at even most grocery stores or drug stores in California). I think the local grocery store is a Vons, which is a major chain. There should be some local major drug stores such as CVS, Rite Aid, maybe a Walgreens.

My post was really more for the OP and others who may have never been in Southern California. As my view outside right now can attest to' date=' it's not always sunny here. In fact, it looks like it could rain, which is something we can desperately use this year. Unlike the Caribbean where you can go to the beach in November, or if you belong to the Polar Bear Club, you might not want to dip your toes in the Pacific off of our coast on a day like today.[/quote']

You are correct, I would not dip my toes in the Pacific in November.:) However, my son used to surf all year long, but he wore a wet suit. :)

My post was really more for the OP and others who may have never been in Southern California. As my view outside right now can attest to' date=' it's not always sunny here. In fact, it looks like it could rain, which is something we can desperately use this year. Unlike the Caribbean where you can go to the beach in November, or if you belong to the Polar Bear Club, you might not want to dip your toes in the Pacific off of our coast on a day like today.

If you really want to experience something akin, try dipping your toes in the St. Lawrence River (Montreal is an island) in late fall or early winter. :eek:

HMS Dingy' date=' don't try to second guess yourself. If you're coming in the day before your cruise, you'll be fine where you've booked. You might want to check out the San Pedro thread here that was started by one of the local store owners and get some recommendations of a nearby restaurant to eat or nearby stores if you need to pick up something for your cruise (the store owner has a wine store, but you can also shop for wine at even most grocery stores or drug stores in California). I think the local grocery store is a Vons, which is a major chain. There should be some local major drug stores such as CVS, Rite Aid, maybe a Walgreens.[/quote']

Actually we're flying in two days prior to do a little sightseeing and it looks like San Pedro would be our best bet. Maybe we'll catch a tour bus or something. Thanks to everybody for the feedback:D

Merely a matter of personal opinion.:) We love Seal Beach and as I have stated on this forum before, just because I like something doesn't mean others will like it. Same principle applies that just because you don't like it, others won't like it.:):)

I note that you live in Calabasas so I don't know how much time you spend in Seal Beach, but actually Main St. in Seal Beach is usually abuzz with activity.:)

When we lived in Orange County we spent many a day and nght in that town.

Oh, you forgot to mention the pier.;)

I live in Long Beach in the far southeast corner, so very close to Seal Beach and its Main Street. We love Walt's Wharf and I've been eating there since college--which is a LONG time. There are other places to eat too--a nice area to stroll and window shop. Walt's usually has an hour plus wait to be seated on the weekends. There is more to Seal Beach than the Naval Weapons Station.

Old Town Seal Beach is a very nice, quaint beach town.

But it is a distance from the pier in Long Beach and the one in San Pedro.

We stayed at Pacific Inn for a Carnival cruise. It was clean and the staff was friendly. They let us park there during the cruise and gave us a ride to and from the port, took about 20 minutes. There were several restaurants across the street and several more on the main drag to the beach. Reminded me of a smaller version of Carmel. Price was reasonable unlike the big chains in LB.