Cruising with a CPAP

Hereandgone21532

Hello,

Does anyone have experience with this cpap ? This is my first time traveling with the new one and I have a concern about the humidity. If comes with moisture filters but I'm not sure if that will be enough. My thought is at sea I should be fine but can't be sure.

I was also recommended biotene to help with the dryness. Does anyone have experience with this ?

http://www.gocpap.com/z1-travel-cpap-machine-with-z-breath-for-595-00/

Where are you cruising? Will you be using heating or the AC? The reason I ask is because there is generally a lot of humidity at sea in warm climates. Also what months will you be cruising? Humidity in the Caribbean is usually highest in July and August. What I would do in your situation is get on the weather dot com website and look at what the humidity will be in the area you are traveling in.

I have been cruising with cpap the last 10 years. I have never even thought about humidity. I don't take the "humidifier" part with me. Just be sure to remember the extension cord. I have always needed the cord. The electric outlets are usually across the room near the foot of the bed. Also make sure you bring your cpap on as a carry on in case of lost luggage.

I have used a CPAP for 23 years & never heard of this one. I bought a small unit ( not as small as yours ) but fried the heating element right away. As it was, we always get a balcony, leave the door open a bit, fill my humidifier BUT don't heat it, just passive air. Without any water, I would end up with a bloody nose

I have been cruising with cpap the last 10 years. I have never even thought about humidity. I don't take the "humidifier" part with me. Just be sure to remember the extension cord. I have always needed the cord. The electric outlets are usually across the room near the foot of the bed. Also make sure you bring your cpap on as a carry on in case of lost luggage.

This is what I do as well.

We travel with the Z1 and love not needing to haul the home CPAP with us. We did get the power shell and battery. Not needing an extension cord or having to string one around the room is wonderful. It has been a breeze going through airport security with the Z1. Unlike our prior experiences, the Z1 has never needed the extra inspection that the regular CPAP required.

Humidity hasn't been a problem.

We travel with the Z1 and love not needing to haul the home CPAP with us. We did get the power shell and battery. Not needing an extension cord or having to string one around the room is wonderful. It has been a breeze going through airport security with the Z1. Unlike our prior experiences, the Z1 has never needed the extra inspection that the regular CPAP required.

Humidity hasn't been a problem.

This sounds great for traveling! How long does the battery last? What type of battery does it use?

My DH has been travelling with his CPAP for many years, and humidity has never been an issue, no matter where we are. We've never had to prop the balcony door open, either. CPAP machines are way smaller than they used to be, and easy to travel with. It is medical equipment so goes with you as a second carry-on for flights. DH puts all his meds in the CPAP bag as well.

My DH has been travelling with his CPAP for many years, and humidity has never been an issue, no matter where we are. We've never had to prop the balcony door open, either. CPAP machines are way smaller than they used to be, and easy to travel with. It is medical equipment so goes with you as a second carry-on for flights. DH puts all his meds in the CPAP bag as well.

I do the same thing. The extra room in the CPAP bag holds quite a lot.

I tear my mask off while I'm sleeping if I am too warm....I have read that some lines will not allow you to bring a small fan...do you think a note from my dr would keep me out of the "naughty room"..... as my cruise gets closer I am getting more anxious about it....I live in maine and use my overhead fan every single night!

• 3 weeks later...

My husband and I both use CPAPs and full-face masks. We use lightweight cotton mask liners called REMzzzs that greatly reduce the heat of the mask against your face. They have the added benefit of stopping the flapping sound the silicone sometimes makes, especially when your skin gets moist because of perspiration or excess humidifier moisture. They're the same price no matter where you buy them and are widely available on line. My husband uses them twice; I discard them after one use.

We always bring extension cords and also wide plastic tape to secure the cord across the carpeting so it's not a trip hazard. The ships' engineers are happier when they see this extra care taken for safety. We also carry them onboard the planes as others have noted. CPAPs are medical devices and don't count as carryon baggage. Neither of us needs our humidifiers, although I carried mine for years.

Incidentally, we discovered all water on cruise ships is distilled so you don't need to ask for distilled water especially for your humidifier. Since the water is desalinated, it's pure enough to use in your humidifier. (Otherwise we use Aquafina or other reverse osmosis water if we can't get distilled water.)

Enjoy your cruise!

The lithium battery lasts for one night. It was easy to recharge during the day at the outlet on the desk.

http://www.cpap.com/productpage/z1-travel-cpap-machine.html

Be aware that on some ships like the Nieuw Amsterdam the electricity will not work unless you put one of your key cards in the slot by the door. To recharge when you are not in the room, one of you (if there are two of you in the room) will need to leave your card behind which is something you can't do if you are leaving the ship on excursions.

Be aware that on some ships like the Nieuw Amsterdam the electricity will not work unless you put one of your key cards in the slot by the door. To recharge when you are not in the room, one of you (if there are two of you in the room) will need to leave your card behind which is something you can't do if you are leaving the ship on excursions.

You should be able to get an extra key card from guest services.

Because there are two of us that use CPAP's we bring 2 or 3 extension cords. As someone mentioned, the outlets are on the complete opposite side of the cabin. We both fill the machine with their tap water nightly and have never had a problem. We put the machines in our 22 inch carry on bag. When it came in a couple of pounds over I just showed her it was due to the medical equipment. No problem with the airline.

Hope this helps.

Helen

We've found that any card works at hotels with the slot by the door. We often use an old room or cruise card. On cruises where we've wanted a friend to be able to access our cabin (to enjoy our balcony when we are out on it), the Front Desk has happily provided an extra cabin card (without charge privileges ;)). As psbtrvlr has suggested, that is a viable option too. Edited by Mary Ellen

It's medical equip. and won't count as "baggage" on the plane, so carry it with you.

This is misleading. If it is travel within the US on a US based airline, then it is true. However, please call your airline in advance (or check their website) because I know from experience it is not true for all airlines - Air Canada comes to mind. It is the AMERICAN'S with Disabilities Act.... not the whole wide world with disabilities act. While many airlines around the world honor this perk, not all due. It was explained to me like I was an idiot from Air Canada - why could you not pack it in your carry on. What do you mean it would take all of it? Why should we give you an extra bag? After calling 3 times and getting the same response I decided it must be true. Going forward, I've chosen to not fly Air Canada for this very reason.

I can't think of a worse way to start a vacation then showing up at the airport with a "second" carry on and not having it allowed. Now, not only do you have to put two into one, what do you do with the extra bag?