Early Saver, Sold out cabin category... whats the point?

Beth C

Does someone in your party require an accessible room, or are you booked in this category simply because you were looking for a cabin for 3?

I am sensing you do need accessibility, but am not 100% sure.

If you do require the room due to an accessibility issue, you may have a legitimate case under ADA requirements. I'm not sure if the ADA impacts cruise lines the same as hotels. If you do have an accessibility issue, you may want to email Carnival and point out the limitations they are putting on you as a person with disabilities.

I know there have been lawsuits filed against Carnival and other cruise lines to determine if they are governed by the ADA, but I don't know the results. Pricing was one of the issues listed in at least one lawsuit.

While I understand how others feel about being in a similar situation when booking certain cabin types, it is not the same. Carnival is providing a limited numbers of cabins capable of meeting your needs, and then offering pricing terms that are discriminatory against you on that basis.

I think you have a valid point, specific to accessible cabins and passengers with special needs.

How does this have anything to do with disability rights? The passenger (s) have the type of cabin they need - an accessible for 3. The fact that the cabin isn't eligible for price drops has nothing to do with it being an accessible cabin. Carnival will move passengers that don't need those rooms to other cabins if a passenger requiring it comes along. This cabin isn't eligible for price drops, because the category is sold out. There's nothing discriminatory about the pricing. The terms are clear with early saver no matter whether you book an accessible room or not.

We do need this accessible cabin, could care less about the window and would have been completely happy with a low level interior Accessible for 3. The only option available was this "premium" interior cabin. Typically prior to needing the accessible due to BKA any interior on the ship would have sufficed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How does this have anything to do with disability rights? The passenger (s) have the type of cabin they need - an accessible for 3. The fact that the cabin isn't eligible for price drops has nothing to do with it being an accessible cabin. Carnival will move passengers that don't need those rooms to other cabins if a passenger requiring it comes along. This cabin isn't eligible for price drops, because the category is sold out. There's nothing discriminatory about the pricing. The terms are clear with early saver no matter whether you book an accessible room or not.

I am making a simple suggestion to the OP about a question that I would ask. I do not know if the ADA applies to cruise lines. In terms of hotel accommodations and rates, or public venues (concerts, sporting events, etc.) availability of pricing would fall under ADA requirements. I'm not really interested in giving what would be a lengthy explanation. If you would like to know what this "might" have to do with disability rights, you should read the Americans With Disabilities Act Title II Regulations and Title III Regulations.

They offer the cabins at the same price as non accessibles ie can't charge a premium for the accessible which meaning a 4J accessible is the same as a 4J regular. So they somewhat circumvent this by making the modified cabins their higher tiered ones. From a business perspective it makes sense since most handicapped cabins take up the space of 1.5-2 cabins but as the customer it stinks!

My 'beef' with it all is that if say OV or balcony cabins come down in price to what our interior is or lower we don't have the option of upgrading to those cabins due to such limited accessibles. We paid $1400 for the interior and if balconies drop to say$1200 we're still at the $1400 where as an able bodied person could accept the upgrade.

I am making a simple suggestion to the OP about a question that I would ask. I do not know if the ADA applies to cruise lines. In terms of hotel accommodations and rates, or public venues (concerts, sporting events, etc.) availability of pricing would fall under ADA requirements. I'm not really interested in giving what would be a lengthy explanation. If you would like to know what this "might" have to do with disability rights, you should read the Americans With Disabilities Act Title II Regulations and Title III Regulations.

I'm familiar thank you, which is why I said what I said. Like you, I'm not interested in giving what would be a lengthy explanation. Of course the poster is free to take your advice, but I don't think it would fly even if ships are required to follow ADA guidelines. I'm happy to be wrong if they try and have success with that route.

Or at least create a system that would be able to generate rates for categories that are sold out. Something needs to be done.

How much can I pay for a room at the sold out Holiday Inn this weekend?

The cabin being accessible actually has a lot to do with it... There's so few on the ship overall ie 2 balconies total and only 1 suite so the odds of getting one in either of those categories even on release day are pretty slim let alone on day 2 or 400 :(.

For our regular cabin I submitted the price protection and clicked upgrade and they moved it and also put the obc promo on which I didn't realize was even an option at the time so guess we got lucky on that one!

No, it doesn't have anything to do with accessibility. A 4J is a 4J. There isn't a separate category for 4J/accessible. All OP needs to match is a 4J for 3 occupancy to take advantage of ES. They shouldn't be looking to change cabins, just price match. There could be 50 4Js that accommodate 3 people, and only 1 that is accessible, OP is still entitled to the same price as the other 49 4J cabins.

No, it doesn't have anything to do with accessibility. A 4J is a 4J. There isn't a separate category for 4J/accessible. All OP needs to match is a 4J for 3 occupancy to take advantage of ES. They shouldn't be looking to change cabins, just price match. There could be 50 4Js that accommodate 3 people, and only 1 that is accessible, OP is still entitled to the same price as the other 49 4J cabins.

I believe she is sailing on the Breeze, if so there are 4 4J cabins with capacity for more than 2 people.

Can she get a price match on a 4J 2 person cabin?

The issue of accessibility (as she said) is that if Ocean View or Balcony category cabins drop below her fare, other passengers without accessibility options can upgrade to those cabins. She can not. A person with accessibility issues is offered significantly less benefit under early saver.

Yes, as some have said, she does not have to purchase early saver.

She is correctly pointing out that passengers with accessibility issues have less options. That is her point. She can not "avoid booking a category with out a lot of cabins in it", she can not upgrade to another type of cabin if those fares drop below hers, she can ONLY price match 3 other cabins on the ship. She feels that this is unfair in comparison to the able bodied. As far as I can tell she is right.

One thing that should be noted (I'm not sure if it has already been noted) is that if a category is sold out, nobody is getting any price drops, whether you are Early Saver or not. If you book the full priced Fun Select rate, and then the category sells out, you will not receive any price drops. The only thing you can do is to cancel before final payment, which will give you a full refund of your deposit & create availability in that cabin. If prices have dropped quite a bit, you can then rebook it at the lower rate, provided that someone else doesn't beat you to it. The risk in doing this is that Fun Select will be quite a bit higher than Early Saver to begin with, and even if prices do drop, it might not drop as low as what you could have gotten with Early Saver to begin with. Plus, only Early Saver is able to get price drops after final payment.

The inability to get price drops on a sold out category is not a downside of Early Saver only. That's a downside of all rates all the time. But as I just noted, the cancellation penalties before final payment of ES compared to no penalty on the others is something to consider. Now, the accessibility issue, and the inability to upgrade to a higher (now cheaper) category is a totally different issue, and has nothing to do with Early Saver. I can certainly understand the frustration there. People who don't need an accessible room can upgrade for free or for cheaper while you cannot. Not really Early Saver's fault, as this would be the case under all rates, but I understand the frustration.

Edited by k2excursion

I've searched and read posts and can't come up with a concrete answer :( Here's my scenario:

Interior Accessible 4J cabin for 3 booked with early saver

Sold out since we booked (I think they moved someone who didn't need accessible out of the cabin at the time)

Since it's an accessible for 3 we can't just move to another interior. I know early saver says "same category" you can get the drops but since we have no options unless someone in one of the other couple of interiors for 3+ cancel and I magically happen to catch it for a drop... :(

Has anyone in a similar situation been able to get an OBC since they are unable to be moved? i.e. current pricing for a cove balcony the month prior to our cruise are pricing at about $150 less than our interior & oceanview at $200 less. If the same thing happens for our cruise are we stuck paying the higher price we're at just because they can't accommodate us? If so what's the point of early saver?

Have you actually submitted a request for OBC? Go to Fare Viewer and bring up your cruise. If a price is given to 4J take a screen shot and submit a request to Carnival. I've never had Carnival count people in my cabin when processing a request for fare reduction or OBC. If the category is still available, in this case 4J, you should qualify. You don't need to give up your cabin, either. Good luck. :)

Have you actually submitted a request for OBC? Go to Fare Viewer and bring up your cruise. If a price is given to 4J take a screen shot and submit a request to Carnival. I've never had Carnival count people in my cabin when processing a request for fare reduction or OBC. If the category is still available, in this case 4J, you should qualify. You don't need to give up your cabin, either. Good luck. :)

Buh? Of course they take note of how many people in your cabin. That's how the fare is determined. You cannot compare a cabin for two to a cabin for three.

We had a 6J under ES and got two price adjustments. Once the balcony rooms became less than our room, we requested a credit. The first time, we were able to call and they went ahead and gave us $250 credit. The 2nd time, I submitted a price protection form and got $500 off. It was before final payment, so both "credits" just reduced my balance due. It's possible....just try. The worst that happens is you still get to cruise!

I share everyone's sentiments about the situation. I booked ES for a Spa Suite on the Sunshine. There are only three of these rooms on this ship, and I booked the last one. I have had a lot of problems. They have offered many sales since I booked with lower rates, and OBC. I submit the stupid form, and always get denied, because there is no price available for my category. When I call and explain that I only want the OBC they're offering, they still deny me. It is like pulling teeth! I finally called today, asked to talk to a supervisor, and threatened to cancel my cruise to take advantage of the $100 OBC under the Exclusive PAST GUEST Sale. They really need to rethink this dumb system. Or at least create a system that would be able to generate rates for categories that are sold out. Something needs to be done.

Why. Just don't book ES. why did you book ES if it was going to bother you. We booked a 6k (only 2) under ES becouse it was the best rate. I have no chance of getting a price drop. I want this cabin. Even if balcolnys become less than my ocean view I don't expect the price drop

I share everyone's sentiments about the situation. I booked ES for a Spa Suite on the Sunshine. There are only three of these rooms on this ship, and I booked the last one. I have had a lot of problems. They have offered many sales since I booked with lower rates, and OBC. I submit the stupid form, and always get denied, because there is no price available for my category. When I call and explain that I only want the OBC they're offering, they still deny me. It is like pulling teeth! I finally called today, asked to talk to a supervisor, and threatened to cancel my cruise to take advantage of the $100 OBC under the Exclusive PAST GUEST Sale. They really need to rethink this dumb system. Or at least create a system that would be able to generate rates for categories that are sold out. Something needs to be done.

Don't Like the rules don't cruise.

Thank you everyone for the kind responses to my critique of Carnival. I have cruised with many other cruise lines without all these foolish rates. They are honest cruise lines, where if the price goes down, they honor it. If they offer something after you book, they honor it. Especially if you are spending more money for a rare room. Royal Caribbean, for example, will actually refund your form of payment in these situations. Also, for everyone's information, I have gotten price drops even though my category is sold out, so it is clearly not the rules I have a problem with, it is the customer service that is more interested in saving money than servicing the customers. I will continue cruising, but I probably won't post my honest opinion on here anymore. I'll just be a sheep and do whatever Carnival tells me to.

Don't lose faith in ES....even in larger catagories of cabins, they can sell out quickly too....as in my Valor cruise coming up in Jan. From the day I booked in May 2013 the price for an 8C had not dropped once.....lo and behold, on Friday an 8C suddenly appreared for 3 pax on Empress Deck....price dropped $135 for this one available cabin....and finally we got OBC. It has taken 18 mos and we are under 2 months to sailing, but ONE cabin did show up....so watch for your catagory...there can be a cancellation at any time, and when close to sailing CCL will reduce the cost to fill the cabin and you snag some OBC.....ES is WONDERFUL!!!

• 1 month later...
Buh? Of course they take note of how many people in your cabin. That's how the fare is determined. You cannot compare a cabin for two to a cabin for three.

Maybe I've missed something. I've done 3 cruises booking with ES. I've never had to give up my cabin... as long as the gross category is available....let's say 8M...then my requests for price match were honored. There was no where to detail the 8M as a connecting or for 3 or 4 pax. Just flat 8M.

However, I never asked for price match with a guaranty deal, (where I understand I could lose my cabin assignment), but only for pick your own cabin rates like Florida Resident or Past Guest.

I've booked ES for our upcoming Alaska... 8M sold out immediately. I keep looking but I know my chance of price drop are minimal. Not going to give up the aft-extended balcony. :)

When you price match it has to be for the same cabin category AND passenger capacity. No you can't match a cabin for 3, for example, if there's only 2 passenger cabins left in the same category.

Sometimes; however, Carnival will relax the capacity restrictions. Usually close to the sailing date. And then you can book two in a triple or a quad without concern for bring moved. And you can also price match to those cabins.

How much can I pay for a room at the sold out Holiday Inn this weekend?

Tried using our guaranteed loyalty reservation perk thru Marriott once.

They would have cancelled someone's reservation for us but we would have had to pay the full rack rate. Full Rack - The one that is posted somewhere in the room that no one really ever pays. Could you imagine if cruiselines did this?

Wow...do people really not understand the supply and demand type pricing and that sales are primarily there to draw in new customers.

We really have people in sold out categories complaining they did not receive price drops. The category is sold out.

I booked an aft extended view cabin on the Breeze. Cruise is a year away. I am almost 100% positive this category will sell out. But you know what I am ok with that, because the other rate that I can choose at this point is several hundred per person more expensive and I know I probably got the best price I will see for that cruise.

Now if I get a price drop because a cabin in our category opens up or whatever I am thrilled to pieces. But, I would much rather have the cabin at a wonderful price from the very beginning and watch it sell out at that price.

Plus, you can see the in the fair viewer if the overall price of the cruise is going up. If the 8B price is going up chances are your rate would go up too. So unless you see prices overall dropping everywhere on the ship you're not missing much.

Sorry, but I'd much rather be locked into a great cabin in a great location.

Pardon me if this is a dumb question, but I always thought that getting a price adjustment on ES fares just took into consideration your main category, i.e. Interior, Oceanview, etc.? On the Fareviewer form, it just asks for one of those categories, not whether you are in a 4J, 8C, or such.

In other words, if I have an Interior cabin (no matter what sub-category), and the Interior fare goes down, I can get an adjustment or OBC after final payment. I thought this was how it worked.

Can someone clarify?

Thanks,

Christina

Pardon me if this is a dumb question, but I always thought that getting a price adjustment on ES fares just took into consideration your main category, i.e. Interior, Oceanview, etc.? On the Fareviewer form, it just asks for one of those categories, not whether you are in a 4J, 8C, or such.

In other words, if I have an Interior cabin (no matter what sub-category), and the Interior fare goes down, I can get an adjustment or OBC after final payment. I thought this was how it worked.

Can someone clarify?

Thanks,

Christina

No, that's not correct. For ES you need to match to the same specific category. I think you're not clicking far enough into Fareviewer, since it does list the prices for specific categories, like 4b or 8c or whatever.

Sent from my iPad using Forums