Pearl Tips and Secrets

g35girl

We took Pearl to Alaska and spent alot of time at the Great Outdoors. It was not very cold back there; it was covered overhead and protected from the wind. I think the buffet heat lamps and kitchen help warm up the area.

On our Glacier Bay day, it was gorgeous 75deg. Our faces all got a little sunburn. People were in shorts. So if you're lucky with the weather, you CAN do a little freestylin' sunbathing. I never looked, so didn't know such a thing existed on the Pearl!

That weather sounds amazing! Was that in May? Personally, I'm not interested in "freestyle" sunbathing, but being able to use the Great Outdoors would be lovely.

2nd, if you are a coffee drinker, the best free coffee is in the buffet near the aft before the children's area and before going out to the great outdoors. That coffee machine freshly grounds each cup of coffee as you push the button.

I will vouch for that as I've spent 35 years in the restaurant business. While the machines look similiar, that machine brews fresh coffee.

I will vouch for that as I've spent 35 years in the restaurant business. While the machines look similiar, that machine brews fresh coffee.

I love a good cup of coffee! Do you know if that machine is available 24 hrs or just during buffet hours?

We went to Alaska in July, so May would likely be a bit colder. You may have to huddle closer to the food to keep warm in the Great Outdoors, or you can grab a table right at the inside seating area which has nice views but warm AND you can acccess Great Outdoors beverage station and food easily. Plus the fresh coffee grinder is close by. Easily my favorite part of the ship. I plan on hanging out there alot on my next cruise.

No reason why the fresh ground coffee machine wouldn't be 24hrs, but I'm not sure. It was always available whenever we wanted coffee, but we didn't try going late in the night.

We went to Alaska in July, so May would likely be a bit colder. You may have to huddle closer to the food to keep warm in the Great Outdoors, or you can grab a table right at the inside seating area which has nice views but warm AND you can acccess Great Outdoors beverage station and food easily. Plus the fresh coffee grinder is close by. Easily my favorite part of the ship. I plan on hanging out there alot on my next cruise.

No reason why the fresh ground coffee machine wouldn't be 24hrs, but I'm not sure. It was always available whenever we wanted coffee, but we didn't try going late in the night.

Thank you so much for your insights Cigarboo!

I just came of the Pearl after a 19-night Panama Canal cruise out of Vancouver where we had an aft-facing cabin.

As soon as we boarded on the first day, we headed for the Summer Palace dining room where they were playing Christmas Carols. In Sept????

We went back for dinner and we were placed near the piano which was playing honkey-tonk music, which I love, but it was very loud and we could hardly talk among ourselves.

After than we decided to go to Indigo. We got there at opening every night except one when we were given a pager and a free glass of champagne. Because we were there at opening, we were able to get the same table and server every night. The food was delicious and came out piping hot every single service.

The entertainment in the lounges was so-so. One fellow sounded like Neil Diamond and did a lot of tributes to the Eagles, Beatles, etc. He was pretty good but when he asked for requests, he didn't know any of the songs I asked for.

The furnishings in the Spinnaker and Bliss lounges were pretty out-there.

But these minor issues in no way detracted from our enjoyment of the cruise. The crew was great, the ship in great shape and the food was great. What more could you ask? I'd sail on her again in a minute.

Hi there, we will also be on the Pearl to the Caribbean on the 11th. So looking forward to it! My 2nd time on the Pearl, DH's first. I loved the ship, perfect size, lots of activity if you want it, and lots of places to sit quietly as well. Been on other cruise lines, but this one calls my name lol.

• 2 weeks later...

After than we decided to go to Indigo. We got there at opening every night except one when we were given a pager and a free glass of champagne. Because we were there at opening, we were able to get the same table and server every night. The food was delicious and came out piping hot every single service.

Thanks Santanna! Do you recall what time they opened for dinner?

For our Alaska cruise, Indigo opened 5:30-10pm while Summer Palace opened 5-9pm. Exception was Juneau, when both restaurants opened a little later, due to 2pm port arrival; during Victoria day, both restaurants opened a little earlier due to 6pm port arrival.

For our Alaska cruise, Indigo opened 5:30-10pm while Summer Palace opened 5-9pm. Exception was Juneau, when both restaurants opened a little later, due to 2pm port arrival; during Victoria day, both restaurants opened a little earlier due to 6pm port arrival.

Thank you cigarboo!!

• 4 weeks later...
I just came of the Pearl after a 19-night Panama Canal cruise out of Vancouver where we had an aft-facing cabin.

As soon as we boarded on the first day, we headed for the Summer Palace dining room where they were playing Christmas Carols. In Sept????

We went back for dinner and we were placed near the piano which was playing honkey-tonk music, which I love, but it was very loud and we could hardly talk among ourselves.

The entertainment in the lounges was so-so. One fellow sounded like Neil Diamond and did a lot of tributes to the Eagles, Beatles, etc. He was pretty good but when he asked for requests, he didn't know any of the songs I asked for.

The furnishings in the Spinnaker and Bliss lounges were pretty out-there.

But these minor issues in no way detracted from our enjoyment of the cruise. The crew was great, the ship in great shape and the food was great. What more could you ask? I'd sail on her again in a minute.

Thanks Santanna, I am doing the reverse to you but getting off in Los Angeles. Do you recall how many laundry bag specials they had on your transit? Thanks

We have a aft facing balcony (B1) booked on the Pearl for a Panama Canal cruise. Will the view from this balcony be okay during the transit or is there a much more desirable location? If there's a better spot, how early do recommend getting there to avoid the rush?

Thanks in advance for any replies. :D

• 3 weeks later...

We enjoyed the Summer Palace for breakfast as a change from the buffet. The french toast and pancakes are much better there! Favorite foods at the MDR for dinner were salads and tomato soup, and apple pie and warm chocolate volcano for dessert!

A good spot to go when you're coming into a port or in a scenic area is the front of the ship on Deck 14 (accessible from the an outside stairway just behind the foreward stair/elevator shaft outside on Deck 13, behind the Sky High Bar). At the very front of the ship on this outside deck, you can get a good look at the navigational equipment on top of the ship and also look down to see the forward facing balconies off Deck 11 (I think?) that probably belong to the captain and crew.

• Like 1

We enjoyed the Summer Palace for breakfast as a change from the buffet. The french toast and pancakes are much better there! Favorite foods at the MDR for dinner were salads and tomato soup, and apple pie and warm chocolate volcano for dessert!

A good spot to go when you're coming into a port or in a scenic area is the front of the ship on Deck 14 (accessible from the an outside stairway just behind the foreward stair/elevator shaft outside on Deck 13, behind the Sky High Bar). At the very front of the ship on this outside deck, you can get a good look at the navigational equipment on top of the ship and also look down to see the forward facing balconies off Deck 11 (I think?) that probably belong to the captain and crew.

That is great info TrekkerPA! Did you find breakfast service slow in the Summer Palace?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

I have sailed the Pearl to Alaska in '08 and Panama Canal in '12. Great ship, not too big and has a great staff!! It is the staff that makes her special! During the 14 day Panama Canal cruise we were following another NCL ship and were in ports together many times. When returning from shore excursions, the Pearl's crew met you on the dock with music, a reception line and mascots!! The other NCL ship (sorry, I forget the name of the ship) had none of that. It was funny to watch their passengers return to no fanfare! You could see their disappointment. The crew on the Pearl was excellent!! We are sailing her again in July to return to Alaska!

• 2 weeks later...