Pearl Tips and Secrets

g35girl

Thank you for starting this thread. We will be on the Pearl June 7th to Alaska. Graduation present for son (college) and nephew (high school) and grandma's bucket list. How does NCL accomadate embarkment for excursions? We arrive in Juneau at 2 and have an excursion booked for 3:30. Is there an "order" they embark by?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

We were on the Pearl last week and loved it! One of the biggest problems we encountered was disembarking in port. There is no order that we were aware of. I would suggest either being some of the first to line up or wait about 20 minutes after the rush is over and you should be fine. They had everyone use the mid ship elevators. You should be fine either way you choose with your excursion being at 3:30.

The "good" coffee machine is located on the right side when you walk from the Garden Buffet toward the Great Outdoors , going Aft. Before the kids eating area, where they have great juices in the morning,BTW.

The coffee machine used to have actual beans which were ground for each cup but, last year we noticed it has been changed to dispenser type. I press espresso or latte and just use my thermal mug . Make sure you bring two of your own. Make your own hot chocolate before arriving at Glacier Bay then just enjoy the views.

We live in Seattle and go to Alaska every year at the end their Alaska season (sept). We jump on when they discount at the last minute:D

Also, disembarking issue.

We always use the stairs and it seems to go much better. Also, ask those directing passengers where the handicapped disembarkation is..;)

We have found that avoiding the elevators is the best way to go. Central bank of elevators are always jammed . During your cruise, learn to get around by using either the forward or aft elevators, this will help,avoid the long waits for elevators.

The "good" coffee machine is located on the right side when you walk from the Garden Buffet toward the Great Outdoors , going Aft. Before the kids eating area, where they have great juices in the morning,BTW.

The coffee machine used to have actual beans which were ground for each cup but, last year we noticed it has been changed to dispenser type. I press espresso or latte and just use my thermal mug . Make sure you bring two of your own. Make your own hot chocolate before arriving at Glacier Bay then just enjoy the views.

We live in Seattle and go to Alaska every year at the end their Alaska season (sept). We jump on when they discount at the last minute:D

You can get espresso from a self-serve machine? I thought those kids of coffee drinks were only available for a fee. Does this ship include them for free?

This isn't really a tip as I haven't been on Pearl just yet. I saw that they got actual ice cream (the tubs and with the server scooping for you) just like Epic and the Breakaway ships. That's awesome and I can't wait for that as my Alaska cruise is in 3 days!!

The scooped ice cream is towards the aft end of the Garden Cafe :). They had probably 8 different kinds on our recent cruise including a couple of sherbets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The scooped ice cream is towards the aft end of the Garden Cafe :). They had probably 8 different kinds on our recent cruise including a couple of sherbets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OMG I can't wait! When I was on the Jade a month ago, sure I still love the chocolate, vanilla or swirl frozen yogurt (they didn't have strawberry swirl tho :( ) but I just remember thinking "noo, they won't have tubs of ice cream on the ship." So when I watched some Pearl videos on youtube last night, I saw scooped ice cream station in like a video from 2012 or 2013. I wanted to know if they still have it on Pearl so I eventually found a video from December 2014 that indeed had the scooped ice cream station. I am so excited!!

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone comment on tennis onboard? Is it worth bringing our racquets or will we just be disappointed?

Also, what is a towel exchange?

And did anyone use the Norwegian iConcierge app onboard?

Looking forward to sailing in just 20 days!

~ Nancy :)

Can anyone comment on tennis onboard? Is it worth bringing our racquets or will we just be disappointed?

Also, what is a towel exchange?

And did anyone use the Norwegian iConcierge app onboard?

Looking forward to sailing in just 20 days!

~ Nancy :)

Towel exchange: You bring the pool towel down from your room and get a fresh one.

App: Very convenient. Free for daily info and making reservations, menus, etc. $8.95 per phone for text and calls between app while on board. Helpful for groups, or people who like to wander off and have alone time.

Edited by eva_marie

I am so glad to know that the Pearl has a bridge viewing room. I enjoyed that so much on the Jewel but didn't realize any of the other NCL ships had it since the other NCL ships we've been on hadn't had it.

Sometimes you have to look for it. So far every NCL ship I've been on had a bridge viewing room....Star, Epic, Jade, Gem, Spirit, and Sky. Haven't been on a Breakaway class ship, but I'd reckon they have them too.

I was just on the Pearl a month ago, and the "good" coffee machine at the aft end of the buffet DID have beans that were ground fresh just as you pressed the button. Choices were Coffee and Decaf (no espresso). Not fantastic, but much better than the rest of the free coffee. Perhaps they tried out the self-serve espresso machine and then gave up on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, we are going on the Pearl in October. We have a balcony room and wondering if anyone can give tips. Are the walls magnetic? Is there a clothes line in shower and if not, does anyone have suggestions on hanging clothes to dry? We are doing the 18 day Panama Canal from San Francisco to Miami. Anyone do that cruise before and any suggestions?

Yes the walls are metal and we always pack a little bag of magnets for posting Dailies and Invites for Latitudes party. Also, take highlighter for marking dailies for quick reference to items I want to remember on schedule.

Also take magnetic hooks and put by door for hanging lanyards with room key card and such. We always take binoculars and a "medical bag" with assorted pain relievers,antacid, Imodium, Dramamine, cold medicine etc.

have fun!!!

Yes the walls are metal and we always pack a little bag of magnets for posting Dailies and Invites for Latitudes party. Also, take highlighter for marking dailies for quick reference to items I want to remember on schedule.

Also take magnetic hooks and put by door for hanging lanyards with room key card and such. We always take binoculars and a "medical bag" with assorted pain relievers,antacid, Imodium, Dramamine, cold medicine etc.

have fun!!!

Thanks for your response. We do magnets and highlighter for dailies and we did suction cup with hooks for lanyards. We take a small medical bag, too. I saw in a picture a coffee pot? Is that true?

Hello everyone! Is there anyone that saved any recent daily newsletters (dailies) from pearl? Can you please post them? We would appreciate it sooooo much! Thank you!!:D

I found dailies from June (Alaska) in another thread. Go here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2208197&highlight=pearl&page=2

Look about half-way down the page. Day 1 is separated from the other days by a few posts.

• Like 1