Dining in Blu with Food allergies

sford75

My hubby and I are avid cruisers. We are Diamond on RCCL, but this is our first time on Celebrity. The prices have dropped so we decided to upgrade to Aqua Class for $120 total as it seems everyone that has AQ class loves it.

Now, my question is in regards to Blu. On Royal, we only one time did My Time Dining which was a disaster with my food allergies. I am celiac and also allergic to dairy & soy. Not having a set waiter/head waiter each night was a mission and one night, my husband was done with his appetizer & entree before I received anything. After that, we always chose traditional dining and never had a problem. In fact, it was always stress free.

Now that we've upgraded to Aqua Class and get to eat in Blu (the real draw in our opinion), I'm afraid of what it will be like with food allergies. Anyone here have experience specially with Blu and avoiding certain foods?

My hubby and I are avid cruisers. We are Diamond on RCCL, but this is our first time on Celebrity. The prices have dropped so we decided to upgrade to Aqua Class for $120 total as it seems everyone that has AQ class loves it.

Now, my question is in regards to Blu. On Royal, we only one time did My Time Dining which was a disaster with my food allergies. I am celiac and also allergic to dairy & soy. Not having a set waiter/head waiter each night was a mission and one night, my husband was done with his appetizer & entree before I received anything. After that, we always chose traditional dining and never had a problem. In fact, it was always stress free.

Now that we've upgraded to Aqua Class and get to eat in Blu (the real draw in our opinion), I'm afraid of what it will be like with food allergies. Anyone here have experience specially with Blu and avoiding certain foods?

We are dining in Blu for the first time in our upcoming Holiday cruise. While I do not have any food allergies, we did do a lot of research on Blu to see if it was worth the extra cost (the extra price when we booked our cruise was a decent amount). I came across people on CC, over the past year, discussing food allergies and Blue. Everyone had very positive comments. While your waiter/waitress may change from night to night you can always request the same one.

From what I've read, just alert the Maitre d' to any allergies you may have and ask them to inform and remind the waitstaff each evening. They should have no problem making a note of your cabin number so each evening when you arrive you are either seated in the same section or the waitstaff is brought up to speed quickly.

Another option for you could be to contact Captain's Club and notify them ahead of time. They can make sure the maitre d' is aware and system noted even before you get on the ship.

Cheers & Happy Cruising!

We have dined in Blu on a few different ships both "S" class and "M" class and have found the staff and Maitre'd to be superbly attentive and only too pleased to to help with any dietary issues and / or requests. In fact as one said to us some years ago, it was more than his life was worth to serve someone with something that was knowingly going to make them unwell.

I'm sure you'll have no problem at all and enjoy the (generally) excellent food in Blu.

Just off cruise in Blu. We were seated with same waiter every night but one, when we came in late and our "section" was full. Otherwise, we had the same kind, but inept waiter (I.e., he never remembered that we don't eat beef, and kept recommending beef dishes!) :)

Blu is all about excellent service. Speak to the maitre d' on the first day, he will likely be available even before dining hours begin. Explain your restrictions, and I'm sure he will make sure you are accommodated. Often cruisers with allergies have the opportunity to choose their meals the day before, so everything will be ready to go with no delays.

I have a dairy allergy. On our recent B2B on Reflection we ate in Blu almost every evening. Jose was our waiter (he is excellent!!) and I never had a problem. I was able to find items on the menu each evening which could be modified quite easily, if needed, so that I could enjoy them. If you are cruising on the Reflection, Ore is the Maitre D', just tell her your dietary restrictions and she will insure that you have a wonderful and safe dining experience.

My wife is not Celiac, but is Wheat Gluten intolerant so she is always getting her meals adjusted for GF.

We have done Blu a few times now and have it booked on four of our next five Celebrity Cruises. Only exception is one we are doing with friends who do the MDR. MDR has improved a lot over the last two years in this regard also, but Blu does an exceptional job on food allergies since everything is made fresh when you order it.

As mentioned, stop in to see the Maitre D ahead of time the first day on board, and he will take your order for that evening. Blu does a great job in adjusting the meal you choose to your restrictions. During dinner the first night, the Maitre D will bring you the next nights menu to select your meal ahead of time.

By the way, Celebrity now thickens their soups and many of their sauces with Corn Starch instead of flour. My DW carries a bottle of her own GF Soy also for any Oriental Dishes she may want to order.

Dennis

Dennis

We cruise Aqua in order to dine at Blu. I have special dietary requirements, GF + a specific food allergy. I complete the Special Needs Form available as a download from the Celebrity website. (Also available as an emailed document from customer service via telephone call)

Each time we entered Blu for dinner the maître d printed out a small form and gave it to our assigned waiter, who then suggested specific menu items and preparations that would work for me. By mid-cruise many of the waitstaff just smiled and said the chef had something special that day! It was a great dining experience.

The Blu breakfast has many options. You must be specific in your ordering, but wonderful breakfasts that meet dietary needs are available.

I find it is easier to dine in Blu than elsewhere on the ship. I have sailed with several cruise lines and have traveled by land throughout most of the world. Blu is a favorite for me.

Have done mult. AQ cruises. Have severe peanut allergy. First notify Celebrity via your reservation . Then once on board immediately contact Blu and re-inform them of your allergies. You should enjoy Blu & you can always ask to be seated in a specific area (specific wait staff).

Have a great cruse

Carole