Ryndam delay operational concerns

lottorus

We are also boarding on Sunday and received this notification this morning.

As there are two other ships in town that day, I'm assuming it's customs/immigration staffing. Since they are arriving back in the US after the season in Europe, there'll also be all the inspections that will have to be conducted.

I've been following a thread on the current voyage and have seen no mention of issues with the ship, so hope that is indeed the case. :)

As there are two other ships in town that day, I'm assuming it's customs/immigration staffing. Since they are arriving back in the US after the season in Europe, there'll also be all the inspections that will have to be conducted.

I've been following a thread on the current voyage and have seen no mention of issues with the ship, so hope that is indeed the case. :)

That is exactly why there are operational delays. So don't worry, it is normal when the ship is returning from a season in Europe.

I think on turn around days usually just all passengers must pass through immigration inspection. However, sporatically all crew members must also appear in front of US for immigration inspection to ensure they have the correct work visas and such. It could be that HAL knows there will be that extra work going on and that will delay activities (like moving luggage, loading stores, etc.). After a trans-Atlantic, they will need to load a full set of stores (food, office supplies, alcohol, etc.). I believe many HAL ships (especially the S class, R class, and Prinsendam) have large enough storage areas to hold at least two weeks of food and supplies.

And while I don't think safety inspections are announced in advance, after a season in Europe there is always a risk that the Coast Guard or CDC will perform a routine (periodic) inspection. I see the last 4 fall CDC inspections of the Ryndam were on 10/10, 12/4, 12/2, and 11/22 (all inspections passed), so it is roughly in that time window.

All these things are normal and typical; not a sign of anything wrong. Of course, I am just taking educated guesses here. I don't know for sure what is planned.

We were on the Noordam just after her trans-Atlantic cruise on November 3rd, and we were delayed in boarding , although not notified. The ships was subject to the Immigration procedures for crew mentioned previously on this thread as well as a Coast Guard inspection; we were later told by the Captain that a lifeboat needed some hydraulic part and thus, sailing was delayed as well. They were able to fix the problem and we left at 7PM rather than 5PM. Luckily, there was no CDC inspection. Boarding was delayed until about 12:45PM. What a mess, the waiting area was overflowing.

I just got of off N. Amsterdam today. We were delayed boarding and leaving last Sunday They advised is it was due to coast guard inspections that were mandatory since it was first cruise back in the USA. We were not notified ahead of time and didn't find out until on the ship. Boarding was chaotic and very poorly done.

I just got off the Ryndam this morning. Captain Mark Rowden stated yesterday during a coffee chat that he was expecting the CDC, Coast Guard and Border Protection on today. US passengers weren't cleared until 9:00 due to non US passengers failing to show up for clearance with immigration onboard. Made for a mad dash for the airport. Great Ship, Great Captain, Great Cruise.

We were on the Noordam just after her trans-Atlantic cruise on November 3rd, and we were delayed in boarding , although not notified. The ships was subject to the Immigration procedures for crew mentioned previously on this thread as well as a Coast Guard inspection; we were later told by the Captain that a lifeboat needed some hydraulic part and thus, sailing was delayed as well. They were able to fix the problem and we left at 7PM rather than 5PM. Luckily, there was no CDC inspection. Boarding was delayed until about 12:45PM. What a mess, the waiting area was overflowing.

Not too sure I would call it lucky that there was no CDC inspection. We were on the cruise immediately after the CDC inspected the Veendam in August 2012 when the ship received a failing score. Boarding was delayed for hours due to problems found by inspectors - although we didn't know about that prior to boarding. On board there were obvious issues, but it was only after we disembarked that I read the CDC inspection report http://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionDetailReport.aspx?ColI=MTgwMDAxMjE%3d-xo0EkEPOm%2bU%3d

Just my opinion, but I welcome and appreciate CDC inspection of cruise ships.-S.