Rental Car After Boston Cruise Arrival

apensa

I know this is supposed to be departures but it was suggested in another forum that I give my question a try here.

We are arriving in Boston off a Holland America cruise in early May, 2015. We will be renting a car and understand that there are no rental car booths at the port. You need to transfer to the airport; is that true? Does anyone have any comments about Firefly or Payless car rental companies. They seem to be the least expensive but do you get what you pay for?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Payless is a reputable company, I've never heard of the other. But most agencies have local offices in town. Don't go back to the airport, as the fees are the highest there.

Nitemare, good idea. I never thought that the rates would be different from the airport as opposed to downtown. I'll give them a try. Appreciate your input regarding Payless..I found a good deal with them if they don't come up with a bunch of hidden fees.

Daisey, we would do that but accommodations have already been reserved in Brewster from the time we arrive till our departure a week later.

Thanks to all.

1. It's true that there are no car rentals at Black Falcon Cruise Terminal.

2. You can take the "Silver Line" [multi-mode bus] (with one transfer) to the airport. It's pretty close, and you'll get airline rental rates.

3. Or, you can take the "Silver Line" directly to South Station (the main railway station); there are probably car rentals available there. I don't know how the price compares. You can probably get to most any other local rental place by taking the subway from South Station.

4. If you don't want to schlep all you luggage around on busses and/or subway trains, you can leave all your luggage, and most of your party, at the cruise terminal, while one person takes the "T" (mass transit) to the airport, South Station, or elsewhere, rents a car, and drives back to the cruise terminal to pick up the luggage and the rest of the passengers. (You can do a similar trick at the end of your stay).

5. Some rental companies will pick you up and drop you off. When I've done that (not in Boston), all it cost me was a few more miles on the car. Maybe someone can pick you up at the port. Ask your car-rental agency.

6. I never rent cars in Boston, so I have no idea how the prices compare.

Thanks for your suggestions. "Schlepping" the luggage is definitely NOT an option....getting too old for that....LOL.

1025.....I know but could not pass up the rate. We only plan on spending a couple of days, if needed, touring the sights in Boston.

a couple of comments {below}

1. It's true that there are no car rentals at Black Falcon Cruise Terminal.

2. You can take the "Silver Line" [multi-mode bus] (with one transfer) to the airport. It's pretty close, and you'll get airline rental rates.

{Airport rates are going to be HIGHER than anywhere else}

3. Or, you can take the "Silver Line" directly to South Station (the main railway station); there are probably car rentals available there. I don't know how the price compares. You can probably get to most any other local rental place by taking the subway from South Station.

{I am not familiar with any rental car options at South Station itself, and a quick Google search did not find any for me}

4. If you don't want to schlep all you luggage around on busses and/or subway trains, you can leave all your luggage, and most of your party, at the cruise terminal, while one person takes the "T" (mass transit) to the airport, South Station, or elsewhere, rents a car, and drives back to the cruise terminal to pick up the luggage and the rest of the passengers. (You can do a similar trick at the end of your stay).

5. Some rental companies will pick you up and drop you off. When I've done that (not in Boston), all it cost me was a few more miles on the car. Maybe someone can pick you up at the port. Ask your car-rental agency.

6. I never rent cars in Boston, so I have no idea how the prices compare.

Let me ask this. Does anyone know if they allow other than licensed taxis and busses into the port area. Enterprize will pick people up. I wonder if they can get into the port area. I found an Enterprize location just minutes from the Black Falcon Cruise center and the Airport. Seems like a win/win to me.

Anyone can drive into the port area. I usually park at the EDIC garage when attending a event at the Trade Center or Pier area - much cheaper than the garage rates under the Seaport Hotel. There's a cell phone lot for friends who may be picking up friends post cruise; limo/car service drivers also use this site. Passengers are picked up and dropped off in front to the pier terminal.

Check with your designated car rental business and agree upon a designated pick up spot. Renting a car at an airport location IS more expensive.

Darcy

I don't know if Enterprise picks you up at the terminal, but it is a 10 dollar taxi tops. Enterprise is a minute from where I work, next to Doughboy where you can get a great coffee and snack while you wait for your car.

I'm assuming you are referring to the Enterprize office at 230 Dorchester Avenue in South Boston. I had ordered some maps from AAA and noticed that it is a short drive from the Black Falcon Cruise Center. It looks like it is about half again as far to the airport for when we return the car. The coffee and snack sounds great!!

I'm assuming you are referring to the Enterprize office at 230 Dorchester Avenue in South Boston. I had ordered some maps from AAA and noticed that it is a short drive from the Black Falcon Cruise Center. It looks like it is about half again as far to the airport for when we return the car. The coffee and snack sounds great!!

That's the one :)

We will be arriving in Boston the day after you leave. I hope you and anyone you are traveling with really enjoy the cruise. A little hint and some may disagree with me; don't try to do everything that is offered on the ship. You will drive yourself crazy and never be able to "smell the roses". Likewise, don't try and eat everything.....LOL.