Convince me why I should go with Princess

JohnHall1965

I think that selecting a cruise ship to match your preferences can be as, or more important than the cruise line.

We have had some good cruises on Carnival but we selected the ship, the itinerary, and the date carefully to meet our preferences. Same with Princess. Both have some significant differences between ships in their respective fleets.

Ok we are looking at a Hawaiian cruise out of LA in Jan of 16 . Carnival and Princess are the two lines we have it down too. We are celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary . Here lies my question we are going to book a midship Balcony , is Princess $772.00 (1544.00 total) a person better than Carnival . If you think it is please tell me why .Thank you for your replys

Whether the Princess cruise is worth the additional dollars since that is really a personal decision. My personal opinion is I would pay the extra bucks for a special occasion cruise.

I will suggest two things.

First, I would suggest you go to youtube and watch some videos of the two cruise ships you are considering.

Second, and I do recommend this highly, if you do decide to do a balcony on Princess, then you should consider the ultimate balcony dining.

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/food_dining/ultimatebalcony/

I did this for my wife on our Princess cruise last March to celebrate our anniversary. She said she has never felt more pampered in her life. Seriously, you can win some serious brownie points with this. It's $50PP but worth every penny. You can search this forum for other's opinion. You can also book before you board to ensure you can do it on your anniversary. (You may have to point out it is a very special occasion.) The only do a few per night due to the fact that it is very manpower expensive.

Also, here is a youtube video on the balcony dining. It shows the entire process and you do have your own private dedicated waiters to serve you.

I enjoyed a couple of Carnival cruises when I was younger but have kind of grown out of them and while I have sailed RCCL (although not since most of their mega ships have come on line), NCL, Disney, and have done cooking demos on HAL (much to old for me) I simply keep coming back to Princess. I like what they offer, I love their ships, think their food quality is top notch, and I really enjoy the people they cater too. I really believe who you cruise with is based on so many things and what I like you may not and vise versa, so it's important to compare the things that are important to you and of course to consider cost and then go from there. At the end of the day I think you will enjoy either....heck you'll be sailing to Hawaii, what's not to love!!! Have a great time:)

Speaking for myself, I've tried them all; Princess is a better fit for me compared to Carnival because:

1. The décor is less garish and easy to look at.

2. Announcements in the dining room and throughout the ship is kept to a minimum. It is so disturbing and disruptive to the cruise experience in general.

3. I think the food onboard Princess is not only displayed better but has more taste.

4. I prefer the "feeling" of a "class" experience, rather than a "party ship" experience.

5. I feel the staff onboard Princess is more conscience and aware, geared towards passenger happiness.

6. I like the rewards program better on Princess.

7. I like the overall feel of a Princess ship; the International Café, the Buffet, the various choices of lounges and activities.

8. I love the Princess Promenade Deck, it's large with teak rails and lounge chairs, just like the old days of cruising.

9. The Princess High Tea's are absolutely the best on the high seas.

10. No one and I mean NO ONE beats Princess' Pizza. We've compared every pizza served on every other line......Princess is the best!!! ;)

Each line/ship is designed for a specific type passenger.

Carnival for the young/entry/economy folks who primarily sail 3 to 7 days and want 24/7 go -go-go... It feels like and looks like being at a carnival.

Princess... is up the stairs.. more refined and for a person seeking more quality than quality

Next step up is Holland.

Each line providing higher and higher levels of comfort and more important passengers whos demographic matches those desires.

all I've really got to say is anything is better than Carnival. as far as cruising I think it depends on what you're looking for. Obviously you like Carnival you've done it more.

Me personally we are a couple so I prefer the "small ship" feeling of Princess, and the style suits me more. I can do without people barfing on elevators, and the general "I'm on vacation" crudeness

We did our Hawaii cruise on the Star Princess last February. Their cultural program & Hawaii theme throughout absolutely made it our most enjoyable cruise ever. We find that in our early 60's we fit the Princess demographic much better. However Carnival may be more similar on a longer cruise.

Our compromise was to book an inside cabin at a great price. Most sea days weren't warm enough to use a balcony anyway & we didn't miss it a bit. Prices are higher this year due to fewer cruises, but there are still some deals.

They both posted their schedules in a thread that i was reading the other day.;)

Yes, I know, but it's the schedule for this season and doesn't cover January 2016, which is what the OP is considering. Elua was only informed as to their current schedule just weeks ago.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2106988

We have been on Carnival as well as Princess to Hawaii. The only time we went past the lava flow was on NCL (where we flew to HI first). So if that is important to you you need to check your itineraries.

After going to Hi on Princess and then Carnival (we did Carnival because of price and because we were already in Vancouver), we came home and booked Princess again to wipe the previous cruise from our minds.

It may depend on age (we are in our 60's), but we like to get to HI nice and relaxed. This carnival trip was anything but. It was so loud! My husband loves the uke lessons, and there were none. I like to make the beautiful necklaces (leis).. On Carnival everything was oriental trading company kits.

We like to play trivia, but it was played in an area that had a walkway where people walking through shouted out the answers.

We enjoy the games, but not the kind where you have to balance a token between your butt cheeks and walk and drop it in a bucket.

We also found many of the days in port were longer, although I believe we went to five ports on Carnival vs four on Peincess. We do love our Princess HI trips and are heading back in Feb!

Sent from my iPod touch using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

And again, as the OP is considering a cruise for some 13 months for now, the lava flow situation will be hard to predict. It's a plus (we saw the lava flow into the ocean while sailing past on the Island Princess in 2005, and everyone on board, including crew who were able to, had their cameras out on their balcony or up on deck). But it would be a shame to select a ship on that basis and then the volcano is taking a break at that time (just thinking of those people who have lost their homes the last couple of weeks -- I imagine they would prefer the flow to be north of their area).

If you don't have a preference of cruise line, then port time and ports would play a part. Personally, the sea days on the Island and the two times on the Golden were very fun and enjoyable due to the Hawaiian program and the beautiful live Hawaiian music (courtesy of Elua). The current program came about after our Island cruise but there were still the uke classes (both my girl and hubby took part; on the next cruise, we did bring our uke so they got in more lessons this time from Dave) and lei making. And yes, actual orchids if you're taking the free flower lei-making class. The ribbon lei class was also free. Leialoha sold the fixings for heirloom leis and you can get help from her if you needed it.

Thank you all for your input , and yes right now Princess's price is 1544.00 dollars more than Carnival on the Ruby Princess and the Carnival ship is the Miracle . It is a special occasion cruise for us , I will keep my eyes open for a sale on Princess .

I have loved all of my Carnival cruises. I just sailed on the Ruby Princess two weeks ago and absolutely loved it. I sailed very cheap for a 5-day and they even gave me a $400 OBC for an inside cabin. I loved it so much I am now booked on the Regal. However, I got an OBC from my TA whereas Princess didn't offer one.

I loved Princess much better than Carnival (but will still sail Carnival due to costs)... There are many things that were similar. What stood out for me...food and entertainment so much better than on Carnival. Also, the ship was very elegant and laid out better. I really enjoyed the Piazza area and the pool areas. Princess buffet was fabulous..I felt I didn't even need to eat in the MDR to get excellent quality as the buffet had it there as well.

I've had wonderful crew/staff on Carnival, but felt they were a bit better trained and seasoned on Princess (just my own observation).

I am not crazy for Carnival's Playlist Productions. I really enjoyed the live bands/musicians on Princess.

Like I said, I'll still sail on Carnival, but feel Princess is the better line. Just keep watching the rates and look for the deals.

I use cru con for my TA. Sign up for their newsletter.

Ok we are looking at a Hawaiian cruise out of LA in Jan of 16 . Carnival and Princess are the two lines we have it down too. We are celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary . Here lies my question we are going to book a midship Balcony , is Princess $772.00 (1544.00 total) a person better than Carnival . If you think it is please tell me why .Thank you for your replys

Aloha.....

We have sailed on both Princess and Carnival numerous times.

It looks like the itinerary you are on you will go both to Hilo and Kona on Hawaii Island. Princess usually does only Hilo which is usually rainy and not as often visited as the Kona side. We live on Hawaii so we prefer the Kona side. With that Carnival itinerary I am almost certain you will go by the volcano lava flow at night. Pretty amazing to see and it has been flowing since 1982 with no sign of slowing down.

Other things we have noticed about Carnival versus Princess:

1. Carnival balcony cabins are way more spacious and better laid out then

Princess balcony cabins.

2. Carnival does not charge a fee for use of it’s Sanctuary area where Princess

charges a daily fee of $30.00 or more.

3. Carnival ships are colorful and Princess ships tend to be beige.

4. We find the food to be very similar but Princess will not have singing and

dancing waiters at dinner every night.

5. Carnival will have a lot more fun activities to do on the ship and their

workout rooms are usually open way before Princess opens theirs.

6. Carnival’s theaters seem to be way better designed and hold more people.

We never had to get to a Carnival show 45 minutes before it begins just to

get a seat like you do on most Princess ships..

8. Princess will have string quartets playing throughout the ship and Carnival

will have more lively music.

9. Princess will have more Hawaiian cultural activities during the cruise.

10. We always find that Carnival cabin staff know our names the first time they

meet us and this has never really happened on Princess even though we

take fairly long cruises on Princess. In general we find Carnival staff to

be friendlier.

10. We tend to get more OBC’s on Princess cruises then Carnival.

11. Our experience is that passengers on Princess cruises tend to be an older

demographic then Carnival passengers and people stay up later on

Carnival cruises.

12. We have sailed 100+ days on each cruise line and even though they are

different we like them both and do not really think one is that much better

then another. We do more Princess cruises now because they have more

worldly itineraries then Carnival.

However, we did a 20 day Carnival repositioning cruise from Honolulu to Sydney and it was one of the best cruises we have ever been on.

If the price is significantly different I would go with Carnival. To me it would not be worth the extra money to do Princess. I think on a longer Carnival cruise you are not going to find the same atmosphere as you do on one of their shorter cruses.

This is a Princess CC board so there are not a lot of Carnival lovers here.

Good luck and you cannot go wrong either way because Hawaii is special. :)

Check out some online TA's for discounts or OBC. I discovered before booking my b2b Carnival cruises for 2016 that they no longer allow TA's to discount but Princess does. This may help with some of the difference in price (although not most of it).

Even though we had cruised Carnival years ago and loved it we were afraid to book this b2b in 2016 because all cruise lines have had changes and what if we didn't like it anymore? There was a bigger price differential than yours. I posted on the Carnival board and got lots of people who cruise both lines to tell me they were more similar than different. I booked the cruises.

... I can't.

After having cruised seven times with Princess, took Celebrity in October and honestly can't tell you one aspect where Princess is superior (perhaps the frequent cruiser perks, but as a first timer on Princess you wouldn't be granted those, anyway).

Ship layout/design, cabin interior, food, basic price and additional costs, routings, staff - everything surpassed Princess by far.

Will use my last Future Cruise Credit next spring on Princess in Alaska and that will be it.

Having done 5 cruises on Celebrity, including Australia to New Zealand in March on the Solstice, I disagree. I guess that is why both lines make money.

If it's your 25th anniversary, )it's a special occasion and b) you're not teenagers. It's worth a splurge for the more personalized service and more elegant ambiance. I agree with the poster who recommends skipping the balcony if you have to. (But be sure to splurge on the Chef's dinner).

I agree with the pizza. Everytime someone says how great the pizza is on Princess, I think..have they tried the pizza in the food court (not up on deck) on Carnival. Man, is it good. Nice specialty pizzas and they make it just as you like it. I just wish the line wasn't as long lol. I'm ok with the pizza in the pizza restaurant on Princess, but I don't like the greasy, cheese laden one up on deck.

on Carnival and their pizza was hands down the best we have had on any cruise line.

(But be sure to splurge on the Chef's dinner).

That might be hard for a first-timer to do, since the Chef's Table is limited to 12 people and experienced cruisers often sign up as soon as they board - which will be earlier than blue-carders do.

But I agree: husband and I booked it for our anniversary cruise and it was really special.

We did the 15-nt. Vancouver-Hawaii-Long Beach cruise on the Miracle in Sept., 2013 to celebrate our 50th anniversay, and just came off a 5-nt cruise on the Ruby.

All I can say is, I would NEVER sail Princess again unless it was a free cruise, which it very nearly was with all the OBC. There is a reason Princess is practically giving cruises away. The food was nearly inedible across the board. The Horizon Court buffet was laughable, so few choices, so tiny, had a difficult time finding anything to eat even at breakfast. What a horrible design!

The service, with the exception of a wonderful room attendant, was way below par. We ate at the extra-fee Crown Grille one night thinking the food would be better, and the service was the worst we've had in any venue in over 15 cruises. When we finally did get waited on, the server was brusque and rude, wouldn't answer menu questions and had to be waved down to get water glasses refilled that went empty for 30 minutes. The steaks were tough and tasteless, and all 8 of us left there feeling we'd just wasted nearly 3 hours of our evening.

The cabins are the tiniest we've ever seen - from an inside to a balcony. There's just no comparison with any other line out there.

And I have to agree with one of the previous posters that the ship is just beige and bland, there's nothing about it that feels special. I really can't imagine spending 15 nights on her. BORING.

On our Miracle cruise, the food was very good to outstanding in all venues. The service was excellent across the board, there was a talented Hawaiian ukelele performer/singer throughout the cruise in various venues, and there was a naturalist who gave daily talks in the theater about the history and geologic make-up of each island.

When we were in Maui, Carnival brought a local professional troupe onboard that evening who performed the traditional luau songs and dances in the theater. It was every bit as good as the one we'd seen in Honolulu the night before that we'd paid big bucks for.

The day after we left the islands, Carnival put on a cocktail party with free drinks and live Hawaiian music throughout the atrium and adjoining lounges and everyone wore festive island clothes. That evening, they put on a luau deck party.

Now, I am definitely NOT a Carnival cheerleader, we cruise with whatever line gives us the best deal on the itinerary we're looking for. We've sailed Carnival twice, Princess twice, Celebrity twice, RCCL twice, HAL three times, and MSC and several others over the years. So I feel I can be fairly objective, as I'm not loyal to any one of them.

I'm just saying, if you've found a decent price on the Miracle, do not be hesitant to take it. We felt it was a very good value, loved the ship and crew and had a blast. There were 8 of us on this most recent Ruby cruise and all of us said there was just nothing special about it. Just my opinion, of course, but thought I'd chime in as I've been on both of the ones you're thinking of taking.

If it's your 25th anniversary, )it's a special occasion and b) you're not teenagers. It's worth a splurge for the more personalized service and more elegant ambiance. I agree with the poster who recommends skipping the balcony if you have to. (But be sure to splurge on the Chef's dinner).

Carnival ships have the "Chef's Table" too for usually around $75 and I think they are done better because they are done in a special private dinning room for the dinner versus the Princess Chef's dinners which are usually done in the big open MDR....

We loved the four days at sea on the Golden Princess, leaving LA and sailing to Hawaii and four days back. It was our first time on a Princess Cruise. They had so many activities you could do or not. We loved the Uke lessons, talks about the islands, the hulu dance lessons, and making Leis. Can't gaurentee if they will have this on the ship you take. Its' been two years since we took that trip and we are still talking about it. Good Luck.

... I can't.

After having cruised seven times with Princess, took Celebrity in October and honestly can't tell you one aspect where Princess is superior (perhaps the frequent cruiser perks, but as a first timer on Princess you wouldn't be granted those, anyway).

Ship layout/design, cabin interior, food, basic price and additional costs, routings, staff - everything surpassed Princess by far.

Will use my last Future Cruise Credit next spring on Princess in Alaska and that will be it.

OP was asking about Carnival, not Celebrity... Why don't you cash out your FCC and sail with Celebrity from now on? Why postpone the break? Is it because Princess has a much superior itinerary in Alaska?

We did the 15-nt. Vancouver-Hawaii-Long Beach cruise on the Miracle in Sept., 2013 to celebrate our 50th anniversay, and just came off a 5-nt cruise on the Ruby.

All I can say is, I would NEVER sail Princess again unless it was a free cruise, which it very nearly was with all the OBC. There is a reason Princess is practically giving cruises away. The food was nearly inedible across the board. The Horizon Court buffet was laughable, so few choices, so tiny, had a difficult time finding anything to eat even at breakfast. What a horrible design!

The service, with the exception of a wonderful room attendant, was way below par. We ate at the extra-fee Crown Grille one night thinking the food would be better, and the service was the worst we've had in any venue in over 15 cruises. When we finally did get waited on, the server was brusque and rude, wouldn't answer menu questions and had to be waved down to get water glasses refilled that went empty for 30 minutes. The steaks were tough and tasteless, and all 8 of us left there feeling we'd just wasted nearly 3 hours of our evening.

The cabins are the tiniest we've ever seen - from an inside to a balcony. There's just no comparison with any other line out there.

And I have to agree with one of the previous posters that the ship is just beige and bland, there's nothing about it that feels special. I really can't imagine spending 15 nights on her. BORING.

On our Miracle cruise, the food was very good to outstanding in all venues. The service was excellent across the board, there was a talented Hawaiian ukelele performer/singer throughout the cruise in various venues, and there was a naturalist who gave daily talks in the theater about the history and geologic make-up of each island.

When we were in Maui, Carnival brought a local professional troupe onboard that evening who performed the traditional luau songs and dances in the theater. It was every bit as good as the one we'd seen in Honolulu the night before that we'd paid big bucks for.

The day after we left the islands, Carnival put on a cocktail party with free drinks and live Hawaiian music throughout the atrium and adjoining lounges and everyone wore festive island clothes. That evening, they put on a luau deck party.

Now, I am definitely NOT a Carnival cheerleader, we cruise with whatever line gives us the best deal on the itinerary we're looking for. We've sailed Carnival twice, Princess twice, Celebrity twice, RCCL twice, HAL three times, and MSC and several others over the years. So I feel I can be fairly objective, as I'm not loyal to any one of them.

I'm just saying, if you've found a decent price on the Miracle, do not be hesitant to take it. We felt it was a very good value, loved the ship and crew and had a blast. There were 8 of us on this most recent Ruby cruise and all of us said there was just nothing special about it. Just my opinion, of course, but thought I'd chime in as I've been on both of the ones you're thinking of taking.

Actually, I'd never sail on Carnival again. Our cruise on the Splendor in 2012 was the absolute worst. We were offered a free cruise last year on Carnival and we didn't take it!!! That, in itself, should say something.

I've been on four cruises to Hawaii with Princess and loved all of them. Yes, Princess is quieter than Carnival but that's a good thing. You should try it, at least once, and make up your own mind about it.

When I was in college, in my early 20s, Carnival cruises were great. They offer a great value--so if money is the concern, choose Carnival. However, if you don't want to deal with a lot of 21-year-olds on a drinking binge, you might be better off on another line.

Now that I'm in my 30's and I've been on other cruise lines (Princess, Celebrity, NCL, etc.), I would NEVER take a Carnival cruise again. The food on pretty much every other cruise line I've been on is MUCH better, the other cruisers tend to be classier, and the ships tend to better appointed.

So...if it were me, I'd pick Princess.

Wow. I'm so sorry that you didn't enjoy your cruise on the Ruby. I had a wonderful time on that ship. I've never experienced what you described on any Princess cruise, however, I have had that same experience on several Carnival cruises.

As far as the OP's question....the extra cost would be worth it for me but everyone has different likes/dislikes, so I think it is hard for anyone to say if it would be the right choice for you or not.

When I was in college, in my early 20s, Carnival cruises were great. They offer a great value--so if money is the concern, choose Carnival. However, if you don't want to deal with a lot of 21-year-olds on a drinking binge, you might be better off on another line.

Now that I'm in my 30's and I've been on other cruise lines (Princess, Celebrity, NCL, etc.), I would NEVER take a Carnival cruise again. The food on pretty much every other cruise line I've been on is MUCH better, the other cruisers tend to be classier, and the ships tend to better appointed.

So...if it were me, I'd pick Princess.

We've cruised several times on Carnival and never noticed that--however they were 7 day cruises and not during Spring Break--usually January or early December.

A two-week cruise to Hawaii is probably not going to get the college age drinking crowd due to the length of the cruise and higher price.

If the prices were similar, I'd probably choose Princess, partly because we have a higher status on them, but for over $1500--that's a lot of money.

Sorry, there's no way Princess is worth $750 more pp. for the same itinerary in the same category of cabin. Save the extra money and dine in Carnival's steakhouse a few nights, and take a helicopter tour in Hawaii- that will make the anniversary one for the books! ;)

Tony