Help Please for a Newbie Researching Down Under Cruises

Just want to say thanks for asking the question. I have ALWAYS wanted to visit Australia and New Zealand and am looking into visiting in 2016, if possible. We've been watching Sea Patrol reruns on Hulu and it's making me want to go even more! Now if I could just find some decent airfare, we would be in business ;)

Lot's of good infomation in this thread and on the board. Thanks to everyone for your contributions!

Whey you're ready for your own trip don't hesitate to come back and ask any questions, we only bite some times:D

I would definitely do Picton for the Marlborough and if you do, email Helen at helen@naclachan.co.nz.

Helen is one of the very few people who has authority to come down to the ship to pick you up and drop you off. Anyone else not doing a ship tour has to take the shuttle.

You won't regret a tour with Helen.:). I organise a tour every time we go to Picton and everyone loves it - good bonding session;)

If you are going to Napier, email Glen - here is the link: http://www.blackroselimos.co.nz/ and ask him to take you to the wineries. The Black Rose is like a Hummer inside and is a lot of fun. Again, Glen will pick you up and drop you at the ship.

Enjoy your cruise!

Cheers

Di

di,

Thanks so much for all this info! Oh my, a personal tour would be so fabulous! My DD and I did the Med and found an awesome group on CC and had a personal driver and tour in every city and had an unforgettable experience. It made all the difference and certainly didn't feel like a "cattle call" My desire would be to taste all the fabulous cool, crisp Sauvignon Blancs of the Marlbourgh region!

Sigh, now...more $$$ and more time!

di,

Thanks so much for all this info! Oh my, a personal tour would be so fabulous! My DD and I did the Med and found an awesome group on CC and had a personal driver and tour in every city and had an unforgettable experience. It made all the difference and certainly didn't feel like a "cattle call" My desire would be to taste all the fabulous cool, crisp Sauvignon Blancs of the Marlbourgh region!

To taste them all you need more time but a driver certainly helps with getting back to the ship.:p

di,

If you taste all the Sauvignon Blancs of the Marlbourgh region, you mght not feel too good the next day.

If you taste all the Sauvignon Blancs of the Marlbourgh region, you mght not feel too good the next day.

:p;):rolleyes::):o:D, but "tasting" is different from drinking, right? LOL! But Yes, a driver certainly would help getting back to the ship!

I just think the New Zealand wines are absolutely the best. Do those large cruise ships let you bring any back onboard? To consume in your cabin? Or, is that confiscated during re-boarding?

Also, is it possible to ship wine back to the US?

:p;):rolleyes::):o:D, but "tasting" is different from drinking, right? LOL! But Yes, a driver certainly would help getting back to the ship!

I just think the New Zealand wines are absolutely the best. Do those large cruise ships let you bring any back onboard? To consume in your cabin? Or, is that confiscated during re-boarding?

Also, is it possible to ship wine back to the US?

Don't tell me you're one of those sip and spiters.

You might need to try some Aussie wines too.

Generally the official answer is no they'll store it to the last night.

You should be able to ship back to USA though you need to check with US customs, also make sure you know the price locally as by the time you pay shipping it may be more economical to but local.

Have replied personally to your request about cruises in Australia, hope it helps!:p

We are retired living in Western Australia, have cruised the world but if anyone is coming all this way from Europe or the US I would recommend a minimum of 18 days to explore a tiny bit of Australia as it is such a large country.

https://www.ozcruising.com.au/ has maps showing you where the ports are located which is great for people overseas that do not know Australia at all. We are about to go on our first HAL cruise and are very very apprehensive I think we have made a big mistake. We were horrified to find out they allow smoking on the ship, even on the decks and balconies. Most modern day ships do not allow smoking and we are non smokers and we are about to board a 28 day cruise. I can see us coming off and flying home before the end of the cruise! Has anyone else had a bad experience with smoking on the Oosderdam please?:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
Have replied personally to your request about cruises in Australia, hope it helps!:p

We are retired living in Western Australia, have cruised the world but if anyone is coming all this way from Europe or the US I would recommend a minimum of 18 days to explore a tiny bit of Australia as it is such a large country.

https://www.ozcruising.com.au/ has maps showing you where the ports are located which is great for people overseas that do not know Australia at all. We are about to go on our first HAL cruise and are very very apprehensive I think we have made a big mistake. We were horrified to find out they allow smoking on the ship, even on the decks and balconies. Most modern day ships do not allow smoking and we are non smokers and we are about to board a 28 day cruise. I can see us coming off and flying home before the end of the cruise! Has anyone else had a bad experience with smoking on the Oosderdam please?:rolleyes:

Thanks so much Kalleroo, for all the great info! I am soaking it up and looking at all options.

The smoking issue is certainly one that produces the most rabid comments on these boards. I agree with you, HAL, does allow smoking on the balconies and I can't think of anything worse that paying for a lovely veranda then having it ruined by a neighbor smoking like a freight train while trying to relax and enjoy the scenery. We sailed HAL in Canada on the older, smaller Maasdam and I booked a promenade cabin located 2 doors away from the exit doors so that we could have access to the walking track at all times. We had a fabulous trip and were not impacted by smokers at all. Probably just the luck of the draw. But, I didn't get a veranda for that very reason.....I figured all the smokers would be on the balconies. :( Here's a link I read regarding the new smoking policies on ships. http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=225

Right now, I am ranking Celebrity Solstice #1 just from pictures on the ship from Terry's review. What do you think?

crews girl: Sigh' date=' now...more $$$ and more time! [/quote']

Appreciate your nice mention of my pictures and details from our "adventure" in Australia and New Zealand earlier this year. Hope, if you book the Solstice, that Celebrity sends me a nice commission check!!

Yes, things can be costly and require more money than ideally you would like to spend. BUT, here is my strong CAUTION!! Don't try to pinch your pennies too much. It does costs lots of money to get "down under" and back, plus the cruise, tours, etc., etc. Certain special, custom tours can cost a little more, however, many times those end being the most special memories, best fun, etc.

Happy to answer any added questions, share more info/background. Just post on my live/blog thread and I will respond to your questions/needs. Keep up the good work with your planning.

ALSO, you cannot do it "ALL" during just one cruise and/or visit there. Lots of great options. You'll need a trip back to do more and more.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 88,359 views for this posting.

• 3 weeks later...
I agree with all of the above as I have been on many cruises out of Sydney Fremantle and Auckland. My only piece of advice would be to plan carefully and do not try to put too much in to your itinerary. It is important to may be do less but really enjoy what you do rather than hurriedly do a more intensive itinerary. For example, it is pointless to fly quickly one day to Barrier Reef, spend 1 day there and then fly somewhere else the next day. You are not really taking the time to enjoy all that is there.

I completely agree with this statement. The less places, the more you can enjoy & actually take in. Worst case scenario, you'll have to come back! :P [/url]

Australia is such a big country that you will not see it in one visit, hey I live here and have not seen it all. Spend a few days at the port you start at and a few days at the port you finish and you may get an inkling of what those ports are like. Perth is the most isolated City in the world, a day is not going to tell you much. Fremantle (the port) is approx an hour from the City of Perth, Freo does have many amazing things to see but Perth is also great, just so different from Freo. I'm sure is the same in the USA, a few hours in a city is not seeing the city. Our theory is we go on a cruise to get a taste of the place and we then decide whether we will come back one day to spend longer.

That is when we retire and have longer!

Good luck choosing which cruise line and itinerary, just remember is our summer and it can get damn hot - like over/around a 100 your temps in all our country, some states more humid than others. We prefer Celebrity, but then we had a couple of bad Sun Princess cruises, we did give them a second chance. Cheers

To the original poster, have you looked at multiple cruises, such as this itinerary:

Fly to Brisbane, and try to fly in 2 days early to enjoy what the city has to offer. Then board the RC Legend of the seas 7 night cruise, itinerary:

1-10-16 Brisbane

1-11-16 at sea

1-12-16 Arlie Beach (7:00-4:00)

1-13-16 Cairns (9:00 to --

1-14-16 (departing 5:00)

1-15-16 cruising Willis Island

1-16-16 at sea

1-17-16 Brisbane

This would give you a chance to see Great Barrier Reef from both Arlie Beach stop and the Cairns overnight. Also, gives you some down time, all meals included. Upon your return to Brisbane, you fly to Auckland. Stay 2 nights to sample Auckland. Then you could board the Celebrity Solstice, following itinerary:

1-19-16 Auckland

1-20-16 Bay of Islands (7:00 - 6:00)

1-21-16 Tauranga (8:00 - 6:00)

1-22-16 at sea

1-23-16 Wellington (8:00 - 6:00)

1-25-16 Akoroa (8:00 - 6:00)

1-26-16 Dunedin (7:- 5:00)

1-26-16 cruising Dusky sound, Doubtful Sound and Milford Sound

1-27-16 at sea

1-28-16 at sea

1-29-16 Hobart (8:00 - 6:00)

1-30-16 at sea

1-31-16 Melbourne (8:00 - 6:00)

2-1-16 at sea

2-2-16 Sydney depart ship

Stay a couple days post cruise in Sydney. Then fly home from Sydney. You definitely want to check Choice Air with Celebrity/Royal Caribbean. Their prices are very competitive. This itinerary on the RC Legend would give you a look at the Great Barrier Reef, and some of what the Queensland coast of Australia would have to offer. The Celebrity Solstice would give you a great taste of New Zealand, also Hobart, Melbourne and then Sydney. You would fly from home to Brisbane. Then a quick flight from Brisbane to Auckland. At the end, fly from Sydney to home. Book the home to Brisbane, Sydney to home through Choice Air. Then, look for an inexpensive flight from Brisbane to Auckland. You will be surprised at what the prices through Choice Air will be for this itinerary.

We are doing something very similar to this in 3 weeks. We are flying into Sydney, staying 3 nights, then boarding the Celebrity Solstice for 12 nights over to New Zealand. Departing the Solstice, and staying 6 nights in New Zealand. We then fly back to Sydney, and have 3 nights, then board RC Rhapsody for 11 nights Queensland cruise to see some of the Great Barrier Reef. Then, we fly home from Sydney. It did take alot of planning, but I just started in Feb/14 to make all the plans. I also got alot of information from Terry in Ohio and his review. I asked many questions here on the Australia boards, and everyone has been very helpful.

This itinerary should work well in your timeframe, and give you a very good selection of places to see in both Australia and New Zealand. Trying to maximize your time in both countries without overwhelming yourself. :D

PS, not sure how the little red thumbs down icon got there, but I can't get rid of it!!

Edited by debshomespun

Good comments and suggestions above.

Be aware that the time in Airlie (proper name is Whitsunday) is limited and would not allow for a trip to one of the reefs privately. Maybe the ship has something to offer there.

Cairns timings are also very tight as most GBR cruises depart at 9 and return at 5. Legend if the Seas will dock nearby rather than tendering so that is very handy and should be doable but i would opt for a ship organised tour based solely on the fact of timings.

A second must do in Cairns would be a trip to Karunda and this can be done by train/bus from Cairns station with a combo train and skyrail ticket.

Hugh

Be aware that the time in Airlie (proper name is Whitsunday) is limited and would not allow for a trip to one of the reefs privately. Maybe the ship has something to offer there.

Cairns timings are also very tight as most GBR cruises depart at 9 and return at 5. Legend if the Seas will dock nearby rather than tendering so that is very handy and should be doable but i would opt for a ship organised tour based solely on the fact of timings.

A second must do in Cairns would be a trip to Karunda and this can be done by train/bus from Cairns station with a combo train and skyrail ticket.

Hugh

Agreed, there is little to be saved by doing that reef trip privately. Prices were very comparable when we did it and the ships shorex alowed more time at the reef.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Hugh

Thanks for the info. In Arlie Beach, we are doing a catamaran through the cruiseline that goes to Whitehaven beach area and snorkeling.

In Cairns, day 1 we are doing a reef/snorkel with Great American (booked through Visit Cairns), and on day 2, we are taking the train to Kurunda, spending 2.5 hours there, then taking the skyrail back. While in Kurunda, I would like to visit the Koalas. We are really looking forward to our time in Australia. Everyone has been so helpful with our planning.