Mattress topper

DW and I are fresh of Grandeur of the Seas. The mattresses are the worst. Prison/county lockup quality and the bed springs squeak like a bad night scene in a 'R' rated movie. If you have back issues or are not moderately in shape your back will be aching I the AM.

Just another sign of corners cut.

JKrise

Hate to hear this. We were looking at a Bermuda cruise on Grandeur. I had hoped the hard mattresses were only on the Vision. We were on the Vision this week in a GS. Hardest mattresses ever! Steward placed two comforters under the mattress pad but it helped only slightly. We were told there were no egg crate toppers but heard others say they were given a topper. First time I was ready to leave the cruise. Overall, we had a good cruise but the hard mattresses are a deal breaker for us.

I've never had a truly terrible mattress on RCI (Princess is another story) but the bedding leaves a lot to be desired. On one cruise (I forget which one ) there were blood stains on the duvet :eek: and on the Allure, there were so many lumps in the duvet it was very difficult to sleep. The top part of the duvet had no filling at all. It was like sleeping with just a sheet. The bottom part was filled with lumps of batting that were extremely uncomfortable on my legs. The cabin steward was the worst one ever and I had to call repeatedly to get a new duvet. It took two days and a discussion with the supervisor before it was done. I left auto tips in place but for the first time ever I didn't give my cabin steward one extra dime, and I commented on the lack of service in my post cruise review.

Anyone know how Jewel of the Seas is? I see it hasn't been dry docked yet and for a while so kind of wondering.

Is the egg crate a request we should send to special requests email? My wife is just fine, but due to my full time job I have HORRIBLE back issues. I usually end up sleeping on a heating pad at night, and I know I can't bring that, so anything helps.

My husband has his doctor prescribe a 30 day supply of a mild pain killer for him before we travel. It's also sitting on long flights for him, too, that give him back pain.

Then, as mentioned above, we get him into as close to a "barca-lounger" position as possible for sleeping.

His life changed when we bought him a Mattress Genie for travel:

http://www.amazon.com/CONTOUR-57-101R-Mattress-Genie-Gray/dp/B00JF8V5B6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1416674238&sr=8-3&keywords=mattress+genie

I would suggest in your case you do contact special needs at 1-866-592-7225 and talk to them about getting extra padding on your bed.

Several times, before MG, I would just go to the nearest Walmart or Target the day before a cruise, and buy an eggcrate to take on board with us. I just left it in the package, slapped a luggage tag on it, and gave it to the porter. Twin eggcrates are less than $10 at Walmart; I just bought two for my son's new guest bed last month.

Edited by pcur

My husband has his doctor prescribe a 30 day supply of a mild pain killer for him before we travel. It's also sitting on long flights for him, too, that give him back pain.

Then, as mentioned above, we get him into as close to a "barca-lounger" position as possible for sleeping.

His life changed when we bought him a Mattress Genie for travel:

http://www.amazon.com/CONTOUR-57-101R-Mattress-Genie-Gray/dp/B00JF8V5B6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1416674238&sr=8-3&keywords=mattress+genie

I would suggest in your case you do contact special needs at 1-866-592-7225 and talk to them about getting extra padding on your bed.

Several times, before MG, I would just go to the nearest Walmart or Target the day before a cruise, and buy an eggcrate to take on board with us. I just left it in the package, slapped a luggage tag on it, and gave it to the porter. Twin eggcrates are less than $10 at Walmart; I just bought two for my son's new guest bed last month.

I may go to the local CVS and see if they have any. Not sure of any Walmarts near our port in San Juan. Great idea!

I asked for an egg crate on our 11/1 sailing, the room steward put something on the bed (it was not an egg crate!), but it did not really make much of a difference. The mattress is not very comfortable - that just made it easier to get out of bed in the morning!!

Unfortunately for me a bad mattress does not make it easier for me to get out of bed. I usually wake up in a fetal position, sucking my thumb crying out in pain for the first 20 minutes!!

Most of that is a joke, will let you guys decide which part!!! :D:D:D

Cat girl, that is what our mattress was doing, slanting to one side, almost at a 45 degree angle, it was horrible. Plus, it was hard and lumpy. You are not crazy at all, it literally felt like I was sliding off the bed all night between the rocks, haha

Exactly ! And I so look forward to my naps and a good night's sleep. It's

so disappointing when this happens. I guess I'm not the only one.

• 4 weeks later...

I tried something new on my recent cruises that helped me a lot.

The duvet covers are actually quite nice when you lay on TOP of them. There is usually an extra one under the bed, too. I take the duvet and fold it over lengthwise, and put it under me. This is in addition to asking for an extra mattress pad.

They have plenty of duvets, but not many mattress pads. After I started sleeping on the folded duvet, I was very comfortable.

If you get stuck with a hard mattress, this is an additional way to pad it up.

We find those duvets overly warm to sleep under, anyway.

special_needs@rccl.com

I emailed them and have been assured that I will get a foam/mattress topper item ready on my bed when i cruise next week

I also like the suggestion of extra duvets just incase the toppers are minimal comfort.... I will let you know how it workd out.

Deffo worth sending off an email!

Many of the foam mattress toppers are the thin 1-inch foam. Even with the thicker ones I find adding the folded duvet cover over it just makes it like I'm sleeping on a feather bed. I like my cush!!

Many of the foam mattress toppers are the thin 1-inch foam. Even with the thicker ones I find adding the folded duvet cover over it just makes it like I'm sleeping on a feather bed. I like my cush!!

Sounds like I will be asking for extra duvets too then! Great advice! Thanks :D

special_needs@rccl.com

I emailed them and have been assured that I will get a foam/mattress topper item ready on my bed when i cruise next week

I also like the suggestion of extra duvets just incase the toppers are minimal comfort.... I will let you know how it workd out.

I did the same thing before my Brilliance cruise last week & was assured of having an egg crate...didn't happen!:( The steward did put some kind of a pad on the bed, but it didn't help very much...next time I will ask for a couple extra duvets...

Was on Explorer recently and our mattress was as hard as a rock. Left a note for Steward asking for a mattress topper and all we got was an extra mattress pad. Worst mattress EVER! If it had been more than 5 nights, we would have had to do something. They really need to get better mattresses! Perhaps we should all write to someone about this?

special_needs@rccl.com

I don't know what ship you're sailing. If it's Vision, good luck with getting a foam/mattress topper. We, also, were assured by the Special Needs dept. that DH would have one to accommodate his back issues. Once onboard we were told that they did not have any, but that an extra duvet had been added under the sheets. After the first night, a second one was added and was of minimal help. Hopefully, you will have better luck.

I was on the Grandeur last year and the mattress was quite hard. I'm going on the Grandeur again in five days. May be too late to get the mattress genie but I think I'm going to go out and buy a memory foam topper or egg crate to bring with me. Thanks for all the great information!

Edited by kahliasmom

We were on the Grandeur over Thanksgiving and the mattress was terrible. I just marked it up to an old ship but now hearing folks on the newer ships complaining means it is probably fleet-wide.

I never had an uncomfortable bed on any other line that I've been on.

Their food was very good though!

• 2 weeks later...
special_needs@rccl.com

I just sent a request for our Jan 8th cruise on Brilliance. How did it work out for you?