Johnny Rockets

I have heard that you have to pay to get into Johnny Rockets, is this true? Is so how mauch is it. Are there coupons out there and if so how do I get them to use. We will be traveling with 9 family members and it seems like if we have to pay, it is not worth it. Thanks

You can usually get coupons if you are a C&A member. They will bring them to your stateroom- that's how it worked for me last year. Also I have see johnny rockets coupons on ebay.

I look at Johnny Rockets as an additional fun alternative to eating the normal cruise-line food. They charge a small fee, but to me it's worth it. It's the same with Ben & Jerry's, Portofino's, & Chops grille. More choices. I highly recommend Chops Grille- very very good food!

Last year we had to skip our late dinner one evening after eating at JR's around 2pm in the afternoon because we were still sooooo full! But it was good!

-gwen

JR is a fun place to go and as mentioned previously, if you are a Crown and Anchor member you get one free visit. I have heard, but don't know for a fact, that it was free for some time but kids started hanging out and others couldn't get in. Also heard that when people did take out, they took enough for an army, so now takeout is one portion only. For 9 family members, it would be expensive if you have to pay for all 9. If there are others paying, it might be worth one trip. It's fun for one time, not a place to go every day.

Katie

I look at Johnny Rockets as an additional fun alternative to eating the normal cruise-line food. They charge a small fee, but to me it's worth it.

-gwen

Agree 100%. I like the burgers at JR's much more than the ones at the Windjammer. Much fresher and very juicy. Worth the small surcharge.

Last October we were on the EOS and we went to JR everyday for a malt. They were awesome! At that time there was no cover charge so we just paid the $3.95 for the malt. We don't drink a lot of alcohol so this was our indulgence. We are going on the AOS in Sept and I doubt we will indulge quite as much since now it would cost $3.95 for a cover and then the $3.95 for the malt. But we will definitely still get our malt fix a couple of times that week I'm sure.

The charge does not include any drinks except maybe water. I usually drink iced tea (free) but they do not serve it at Johnny Rockets. I had to buy a soda. Either that or water, and water with burgers and onion rings (fabulous, by the way!) just don't cut it. Just FYI for you iced tea drinkers out there.

Last October we were on the EOS and we went to JR everyday for a malt. They were awesome! At that time there was no cover charge so we just paid the $3.95 for the malt. We don't drink a lot of alcohol so this was our indulgence. We are going on the AOS in Sept and I doubt we will indulge quite as much since now it would cost $3.95 for a cover and then the $3.95 for the malt. But we will definitely still get our malt fix a couple of times that week I'm sure.

The cover is $3.95, but the price for the shake/malt is $3.60

So if you are only going in for a malt or a shake it's going to cost you $7.55.

If the Johnny Rockets on the ship is anything like the ones on land, I still think this is a deal. I know that you pay an arm and a leg just for the cruise and its a shame its not included in that, but $7.55 for all the food you can eat and a yummy milkshake is a steal compared to how overpriced the chain is on land. Also, compare it to the $20 they charge to go to the other alternative restaurants. I know they are obviously nicer but there is still a large discrepancy there.

And, look on the bright side - you are not only paying for food but entertainment! The waiters at Johnny Rocket restaurants do hilarious song and dance numbers to the retro music.

This is the biggest rip-off on the high seas. People should be outraged. Getting one coupon per person per cruise is a farce. The surcharge also removes what was a great late night snack alternative. Just my opinion. Stay away from JR.

Actually no, I've gone in and just gotten a shake and was only charged the $3.60... But if you get food and a shake you get charged $7.55

I just got off the Adventure on Sunday. My kids and I went up to JR's to have shakes. We sat at the counter and we were given onion rings and fries. We told them that we just ordering the drinks, but she just smiled and said they were ours. We got our shakes and were only charged for the drinks.

The cover is $3.95, but the price for the shake/malt is $3.60

OOps, I couldn't remember the exact price but I new I was close. If I was on the "Price is right" I so would have overbid........;)

Anyways, its good to hear that if you go for a malt they will only charge you for the drink!:D

If the Johnny Rockets on the ship is anything like the ones on land, I still think this is a deal. I know that you pay an arm and a leg just for the cruise and its a shame its not included in that, but $7.55 for all the food you can eat and a yummy milkshake is a steal compared to how overpriced the chain is on land. Also, compare it to the $20 they charge to go to the other alternative restaurants. I know they are obviously nicer but there is still a large discrepancy there.

And, look on the bright side - you are not only paying for food but entertainment! The waiters at Johnny Rocket restaurants do hilarious song and dance numbers to the retro music.

Hey, young 'un! Watch what you're calling RETRO MUSIC. For some of us, it's OUR music and it's NOT OLD - 'cause WE'RE not old! :p

I feel that the cruise line offering "better" food at these locations with a surcharge is kind of a rip-off! It's like they are saying, inferior hamburgers will be served in the Windjammer, but if you want a really good burger, go to Johnny Rockets! It can't cost them anymore to make the burger good in either place! If you want so, so ice cream, get it on the Promade deck for free. If you want really good ice cream, pay for it at Ben & Jerry's!

One thing the cruise line always prided itself on was all customer (regardless of income/class) were treated the same once you boarded the ship. This seems to be going back to the Titanic days when different items were offered depending on how much money you have.

It should be one price for everything!

kmcdonald. The standard burger is still available for everyone and at no extra charge. JRs is an upgrade OPTION and at a very reasonable charge. The standard burger is served fleetwide. Not all ships have the JR option. I like personal choice options. Not everyone would appreciate a better burger since MacDonalds has trained a few generations to think a burger is supposed to taste like mustard, ketchup and pickles. And not to really taste of meat.

I feel that the cruise line offering "better" food at these locations with a surcharge is kind of a rip-off! It's like they are saying, inferior hamburgers will be served in the Windjammer, but if you want a really good burger, go to Johnny Rockets! It can't cost them anymore to make the burger good in either place! If you want so, so ice cream, get it on the Promade deck for free. If you want really good ice cream, pay for it at Ben & Jerry's!

I disagree. If you want the good food all the time then you probably shouldn't be sailing RCI; there are probably other more pricier lines that offer the great food all the time. For me, RCI fits into my budget with their so-so food. Better food = more money. I don't even think the food is so-so- I think its pretty good actually. However there are some occasions where I want something different and I like the option of JR, Chops, and Portofino. As far as Chops goes- it is a guarantee that if I sail on a ship with that restuarant then I will eat there. I can't get that kinda food for that price here in Atlanta. You really have 2 options: pay more for a cruise that offers the hamburgers you are looking for OR do like RCI and have a small surcharge added. It's obvious that RCI is paying JR for THIER hamburgers and THEIR atmosphere, etc.

-gwen

Archived