New to Celebrity Eclipse vegetarian advice please

catperson02

OK so I know it is a long way ahead but I have just booked a cruise to St Petersberg for 31 July 2016! My youngest daughter is a vegetarian and a somewhat fussy one too (also has an allergy to almonds so nuts are an issue too). Do Celebrity have a vegetarian menu? I have found some MDR menus on cruise critic but there seems to be only one vegetarian dish each night and you can bet that she will turn her nose up at that! She will, at a push, eat fish (well she does at the moment but that may change at a moments notice) Her issues with meat are not an ethical choice but due to issues with the nerves in her jaw meaning that the texture causes her to gag.

Also it is a Southampton sailing, I normally would tip for room service, anyone who goes above and beyond etc. Do I need to get some US dollars for this or would UK Sterling be acceptable? Its not a big problem but I would rather not exchange if I don't have too.

Many thanks

From the Celebrity website:

"Special Dietary Needs

Celebrity Cruises is happy to accommodate many different kinds of dietary needs in our Main Restaurant to enhance your cruise vacation. Once you have booked your cruise, send your special dietary request to special_needs@celebrity.com or call 1-866-592-7225.

Vegetarian Dining

We offer a separate 7-day Vegetarian Menu, in addition to vegetarian dishes on the standard Main Restaurant menu which are designated by a leaf icon."

As for tipping, if you really want to use cash I don't think the crew really cares what they get so long as it's not something like North Korean won. You can also arrange extra tips on your account through guest services.

She should ask the waiter for the vegetarian menu. He/she might have to go to the Assistant Head Waiter for it. After that, it will be given to her each night, assuming you have traditional dining and the same wait staff. If you are doing select dining, it might be a little harder to get one from different waiters.

You are right, there is a vegetarian option in each category on the main menu, as well, and all are clearly marked.

First of all, I agree that choosing Traditional will make it much easier for your family because you'll have the same waitstaff every night. Speak to the Maitre d' on embarkation day, they usually have posted times in the afternoon when they are available. What will likely happen is that they will show your daughter the next day's menu each evening, and if nothing appeals to her, they will arrange to have something that suits her better.

While the vegetarian entree of the evening might not appeal, you can always get salads, steamed vegetables, and some kind of potatoes each evening. You can also order mac & cheese (on the children's menu, but adults can order it as well). Discuss with the waiter if the nightly pasta can come without meat sauce, and dress it with olive oil and parmesan instead. If using beef stock isn't a problem, there's French Onion soup each night which will have no meat in it. Other soups are also ok if chicken stock/beef stock etc. are acceptable. If worse comes to worse, head up to the buffet, where there will be cheese pizza, pasta with various toppings, other vegetables, salads, etc.

Celebrity really does a wonderful job of handling food special needs. I agree, fixed dining and talk to the maitre d' when you get on board and/or the first night. They will also help you with the nut alergies for breakfast and lunch...vegetarian is easy at a buffet...nut alergies can be a problem.

Thank you so much for your replies. We have chosen fixed dining already so our waiters will be the same. I am so glad to hear that macaroni cheese is always available as she would happily live on that given the option (at 14 she may choose items off the childrens menu anyway). The nut issue isnt too bad as it is only almonds that she currently reacts to and that is managed with antihistamines rather than an epipen.

Is it too early to be getting excited?