No more traditonal dining in the future.....

Shippy

From the reports coming back from the Quantum you can make reservations in the kiosks onboard. No need to make them months in advance unless you want to.

But f you don't make your early dining res you wont be able to get the times you want:rolleyes:

Amazing the menus are changed on the American Icon again. It did have surf and turf on it when the crossing started and now that is changed again. Its just crazy. You have guests making reservations based on the menus and we are already worried about booking dining and show times and food choices do play a part in the experience. We are already paying premium for the ship and the choice to sail out of NJ rather than fly. We get that but I am not going to eat in pay restaurants all 12 nights of my cruise either. My choice and my thoughts...guess Anthem is going to be leaving my roster of cruises too..

Hey Dick and Mari!!!! How are you all? I see Grandeur is on your sights now....we aren't fans of this DD either. I do have an anthem booked but might flip that too. I have been looking at the Grandeur also. We have gotten used to flying to San Juan.

I talk to SeaCruise....Mary....almost everyday on Facebook.

So glad to see you!!!!!

Hi Cris. We are fine.

Just did a final B/B on Explorer (not the 14 day)

Hope all is well with you and your family.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

Have you heard anything from Suzanne?

With no Explorer and not wanting to fly we are going to give the Grandeur a try.

I think Liberty may come and stay in Bayonne

if they can't work things out with Bermuda.

I have doubts and concerns with DD, but for sure want to try it. My two main issues are:

First, it is nice to not have to do anything further other than show up at our regular time with current fixed dining in MDR. Thus, whether I am booking pre cruise or at an onboard kiosk it is extra work and I am sure that there will be times we want 6:30 pm and can't get it for example, so there will be issues with other activities we may want to attend effected by dinner seating availability as an example.

Secondly, I like the variety of the MDR at the same restaurant/seating each night. I like steak, DW likes fish or whatever. We will be more limited as I understand the menus under DD. As a specific example, I like escargot and like it every night if available. Not sure I will get escargot most nights under DD unless we go to the dining venue serving that dish.

Just a perspective and one of my 'value' propositions as to why I like to cruise.

Edited by shipshape sam

All changes in March but I feel they will start sooner.....

Just off the Oasis where this was a constant discussion with people. We have always had traditional, early dining.

Apparently you can make early reservations...for a particular restaurant...day by day.

We had the lower level dining room which already had its named changed to America Icon.

There will NOT be a new menu everyday. There will be 2 menus that alternate, American style food. No more lobster night there.

This has already started there with breakfast & lunch. We went there almose every day for both. They used to change every day just a little bit. Now, They each have 2 set menus that alternate.

The 2nd level restaruant will have Mediterranen food with lobster on the menu. This restaurant will require a formal dress code that they say they will try & inforce....In other words....don't embarress yourself by trying to get in with casual dress even though you might win the battle.

Top level will have Asiasn themed. This info came from our waiter.

I just got off the 2 night November 21 Quantum of the Seas with Dynamic Dining, and based on this experience would hesitate to recommend RCCL. Unless you locked in your dining way in advance, you were out of luck getting a reservation, unless you wanted to eat at 5 or 9. They falsely advertise this as "Freedom" to eat when and where you want, but it's just not so. Attached was the scene outside Chic showing a lot of unhappy people.

image.jpg.27a622b94309bff7f88e985d41b39abb.jpg

Not looking forward to it from 2 Picky eaters and one with food sensitivities....

Also, we cruise B2Bs and like long cruises, so we don't want to be in the American Icon/Grand with the same menu night after night or in WJ either!!!

Will work better if they have an Alternative menu for those of us that don't want the really fancy foods......:) Then those that love different foods etc. can be happy and those that like the simple fare can too!!!!!!

We just spent five nights on Quantum and I, a definite "picky" eater. was quite able to find meals in American Icon, Grande, Chic and even Coastal Kitchen that I could not only tolerate but actually enjoy and that was without even trying dinner in the Windjammer. I think that once people actually experience Dynamic Dining they will find that many of their concerns were baseless.

We just spent five nights on Quantum and I, a definite "picky" eater. was quite able to find meals in American Icon, Grande, Chic and even Coastal Kitchen that I could not only tolerate but actually enjoy and that was without even trying dinner in the Windjammer. I think that once people actually experience Dynamic Dining they will find that many of their concerns were baseless.

Oh, great to hear! Now if when the time comes, we can book our early dining ahead we should be OK. Thanks for the post!:)

I'm with you too. I'll avoid any shill with DD for as long as I can. When I have to, I'll hold my nose and give it a try before I give up on Royal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditto. I would prefer my cruise to be worry free, not having to plan anything beyond excursions. And if we do the Caribbean we no longe even do those.

I am going on the Quantum 12 December and originally had booked traditional early dining. When they announced the Dynamic Dining concept, I decided to book the Grande Restaurant for the entire 8 days, at the earliest time.

My thought is that once I have that secured, I could possibly change on board to other restaurants for a day, or two for additional variety....

I have sailed NCL many times with its 'Freestyle' concept, and liked that system.

We still had a virtual fixed early seating in one of the two or three (depending on which ship) MDR's, simply by reserving it once on board.

As for the Dynamic Dining on the Allure and Oasis....I wonder, if you could not get into the dining room of choice, you still might be able to order from the menu of the other dining room(s), especially since they share a common galley?

First of all, I will never say something is bad before I even tried it.

The concept of Dynamic Dining appeals to us. I studied all the menues and it sounds great. So many choices, I'm looking forward to our Quantum-Cruise in March 2015. After five cruises with the same menues in the MDR, I'm really ready for a change! Doing reservations online took me about 10 minutes, no problem at all!

Edited by Sumisid

Our tastes and habits have evolved over the years, and we have no problem trying Dynamic Dining when the opportunity presents itself. On the Oasis last week, we ate almost all our dinners at our preferred time of 6:30 or 7:00...8:00 or 8:30 is WAY too late for us these days, and 5:30 or 6:00 is still a bit on the early side. We also ate all but one meal in the specialty restaurants or Coastal Kitchen, so it seems like DD would fit our habits well.

Edited by Cindy