Mitsugirly's extensive back to belly sun & sky review

mitsugirly

smiles i am very honored that she chose to draw me. personally had a very good time on the cruise an enjoyed the time shearing what i do for fun with everyone with the horse and dragon.

Hi there Cloudchaser Pony. Glad to have you here. We didn't get to see you too much on the cruise, but when we did, she was super excited. Thanks for doing what you do for fun. :)

I am still enjoying your very thorough and uberawesome review. I feel as though I am travelling with you and your family.

Although I have a cruise planned for Nov 2015, I may not be able to hold out that long and more than likely will be cruising on the NCL Sky or Epic, depending on my work schedule, much sooner :p

Thanks for the comments and glad you enjoyed it. I really wish I could go on the Epic before she leaves the US. But I'm not sure I can squeeze one in at this point with my daughters school. :( What ship will you be on in Nov 2015?

So very sad news for me today. My ring can not be fixed and they said "parts not available" :eek: :( They did ask me if I had my original receipt and if I had purchased the extended warranty, but their extended warranty only covered the first 2 years. So...that wouldn't have done any good anyhow. Plus, if they don't have the "parts", what difference would it have made? :confused:

I'm so sad. I'm going to take it to a jewelers and see if they can do something about it. I'm just crushed now.

Wait a minute.....is this the ring that you bought on your cruise that had the diamond that became loose???? Parts???? What kind of 'part' does it take to tighten a diamond???!!! Are they NUTS?

That's it, I will NEVER buy jewelry on a ship. I would have thought more of NCL to have reputable vendors on their ships.

I am so sorry. :(

Wait a minute.....is this the ring that you bought on your cruise that had the diamond that became loose???? Parts???? What kind of 'part' does it take to tighten a diamond???!!! Are they NUTS?

That's it' date=' I will NEVER buy jewelry on a ship. I would have thought more of NCL to have reputable vendors on their ships.

I am so sorry. :([/size']

No Robin, this is my wedding ring that I lost the stone out of. The one that I bought on the Getaway is still loose.

Thanks so much for the great review, Sun is our favorite ship, sailing on her again in March. Do you happen to know how far Tropicante was from Blue Kay, also, did they sell buckets of beer?

I saw the map you posted but can't figure out if it is in walking distance from Blue Kay.

Edited by coscab

So sorry to hear about your ring. That really stinks.

Hopefully one day we will be on the same cruise. My daughter has been reading this review right along with me and she is constantly talking about Mitsugirly Kim and Sakari. She has even started drawing pictutes that she wants to show to Sakari. :D

Melissa now wants to go snorkeling and I remind her that we've never done it, but she says "Don't worry mommy, Kim will teach us how." LOL

So what they are telling you is that you need to buy a new diamond? Yikes. Well, that is too bad. I have rings that have been guaranteed as long as I bring them in every six months for a 'check up'. They clean them and check the stones to make sure nothing is loose. You should find a jeweler who does that.

No Robin, this is my wedding ring that I lost the stone out of. The one that I bought on the Getaway is still loose.

I know quite a bit about the repair of fine jewelry. I don't know where you got your ring, but what they are telling you is BS unless your ring is made of pot metal - which is nearly impossible to fix - pot metal almost always shatters when you heat it unless you know the exact composition of the metal. However, I doubt this is what your ring is made of. If your ring is 14 or 18 karat gold or platinum, there is no reason it cannot be fixed. My advice is to find a private jeweler in a locally owned jewelry store who makes custom rings and does onsite repairs and sells diamonds and then you should be able to get your ring fixed. Ask for reinforced prongs for the center stone. For a marquise diamond, it is important to have a setting with at least 6 prongs - 2 of which are V-tipped prongs for the top and bottom of the diamond and two more prongs on each side of the diamond. The reinforced prong setting will help prevent a diamond that is worn on a daily basis to not get loose. Once you get the ring fixed, it is important to have your ring checked at least every 2 years or if it starts hooking on your clothes or hair - which indicates that you have loosened one of the prongs - it should be checked. This costs about $25 - $50, but is well worth it.

BTW, you are NOT the first woman to have this issue. Princess Diana's sapphire engagement ring also had to be remodeled. Initially it only had 8 prongs - 2 at each "corner" of the sapphire. By the time the ring was a couple of years old 14 more prongs had been added to keep that sapphire in place. I also had to have my marquise diamond reset into reinforced prongs. I don't know why, but almost all engagement rings come with the regular prongs - which is ridiculous for a ring that you will likely wear everyday for the rest of your life.

Please don't give up on your ring. Just take it to another jeweler, someone reputable and most importantly capable of helping you.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

Kim I so feel for you with the the ring. I really hope a jeweler can assist you with it.

My DH gave me a gorgeous ring for our 25th. Gold band with 11 diamonds in it. Totally left me speechless (he says first time in all the years we have been together:D). Several months later I happened to be out in the garden and noticed I had forgotten to take the ring off. It was getting full of dirt and it had turned on my finger. I thought the poor diamonds would be caked with mud. I was horrified when I turned the ring and noticed it was broken. It had cracked next to a diamond right through the whole ring. While Littman jewelers made good on this ring it had to be replaced (it was engraved as well). It took a very long time for me to get over the fact that this ring is not the one he gave me. Sometimes things are just beyond our control. I so hope you will be able to get some type of diamond to fit your ring. Just remember it is a "symbol" of your love for each other and nothing will deter it.

For your Bermuda trip------ you could easily wind up with fantastic weather. We have sailed there in July and 4 times September. 2 times in September not so nice weather. Just never know. Since Sakari is a water rat ( much like me at that age), she'll live it no matter cloudy or sunny.

Love your reviews. Any newbies in the boards with benefit so much from them

Good luck with your ring

Kathy

I've been holding off commenting until this was over or at least you got to the Sky. Are you doing to do a Sky review too?

Glad you had a great time on the Sun. I took a Sky cruise that also was dominated by an old retirement home. About half the ship was some retirement home that took a cruise together. I actually LOVED it. It was quiet. No long lines and no noise at night LOL

I was waiting till the end to ask questions but if this is the end here is my question. Since the Sun and Sky are almost identical which did you prefer and why (excluding ports).

The differences I noticed was how the space on Sun that is Le Bistro is Cagneys on the Sky and vice versa.

We leave January 10th for our cruise on the Sky. Hoping to see some pics and your thoughts of her before we leave! I keep checking back here hahahaha.

No worries I will have it done by then. I have all the pictures ready to go and will start on it tomorrow.

Thanks so much for the great review, Sun is our favorite ship, sailing on her again in March. Do you happen to know how far Tropicante was from Blue Kay, also, did they sell buckets of beer?

I saw the map you posted but can't figure out if it is in walking distance from Blue Kay.

I'm not sure if they have any buckets of beer at Blue Kay since I don't drink beer. Sorry.

Here's a map of the distance from Blue Kay to Tropicante. You could definitely walk there with no problem. It's all along the malecon.

distance-L.jpg

Your reviews always leave me taking a closer look at NCL. I'm eagerly awaiting the second half!

Second half coming right up tomorrow. :)

So sorry to hear about your ring. That really stinks.

Hopefully one day we will be on the same cruise. My daughter has been reading this review right along with me and she is constantly talking about Mitsugirly Kim and Sakari. She has even started drawing pictutes that she wants to show to Sakari. :D

Melissa now wants to go snorkeling and I remind her that we've never done it, but she says "Don't worry mommy, Kim will teach us how." LOL

Awww. How old is your daughter? I'm flattered and would happy to teach (and I'm sure Sakari would too). Sakari would love to have a playmate. She makes friends easily and when she makes friends, she keeps them. We have cruised again (planned) with friends she met on cruises before. :D

So what they are telling you is that you need to buy a new diamond? Yikes. Well' date=' that is too bad. I have rings that have been guaranteed as long as I bring them in every six months for a 'check up'. They clean them and check the stones to make sure nothing is loose. You should find a jeweler who does that.

[/size']

I had every intention of buying a new diamond to fix the missing center stone. But, they are saying they don't "have any" to replace it I guess? I'm not really sure. I was so crushed that I couldn't concentrate after that. I will find a jeweler somewhere else.

I know quite a bit about the repair of fine jewelry. I don't know where you got your ring, but what they are telling you is BS unless your ring is made of pot metal - which is nearly impossible to fix - pot metal almost always shatters when you heat it unless you know the exact composition of the metal. However, I doubt this is what your ring is made of. If your ring is 14 or 18 karat gold or platinum, there is no reason it cannot be fixed. My advice is to find a private jeweler in a locally owned jewelry store who makes custom rings and does onsite repairs and sells diamonds and then you should be able to get your ring fixed. Ask for reinforced prongs for the center stone. For a marquise diamond, it is important to have a setting with at least 6 prongs - 2 of which are V-tipped prongs for the top and bottom of the diamond and two more prongs on each side of the diamond. The reinforced prong setting will help prevent a diamond that is worn on a daily basis to not get loose. Once you get the ring fixed, it is important to have your ring checked at least every 2 years or if it starts hooking on your clothes or hair - which indicates that you have loosened one of the prongs - it should be checked. This costs about $25 - $50, but is well worth it.

BTW, you are NOT the first woman to have this issue. Princess Diana's sapphire engagement ring also had to be remodeled. Initially it only had 8 prongs - 2 at each "corner" of the sapphire. By the time the ring was a couple of years old 14 more prongs had been added to keep that sapphire in place. I also had to have my marquise diamond reset into reinforced prongs. I don't know why, but almost all engagement rings come with the regular prongs - which is ridiculous for a ring that you will likely wear everyday for the rest of your life.

Please don't give up on your ring. Just take it to another jeweler, someone reputable and most importantly capable of helping you.

I'm pretty sure it's not made of pot metal because I have had the ring sized twice before and also had the wedding band fused with the engagement ring part and it didn't melt. :D

It is 14k gold.

It does have 6 prongs and the 2 end prongs at the top and bottom are V shaped.

I can say that it has never felt like it catches my hair or clothes or anything. So there was no sign of the prongs coming lose (and you guys have seen my hair :eek:). No warning at all prior to it falling out, which was weird. :(

I will take it to a different jeweler and I won't stop until I find someone that will fix it. The hubby has already offered to buy me a new one. I don't want a new one. I want this one. I like my ring and always have. I'm going to keep at it. :)

Mitsugirly,

I'm booked on the NCL Escape, 28 November 2015.

That will be 6 months after our Dawn cruise. Hmmm, I seem to be getting away with a cruise every 6 months now. Maybe I can persuade the hubby into it. :D

Kim I so feel for you with the the ring. I really hope a jeweler can assist you with it.

My DH gave me a gorgeous ring for our 25th. Gold band with 11 diamonds in it. Totally left me speechless (he says first time in all the years we have been together:D). Several months later I happened to be out in the garden and noticed I had forgotten to take the ring off. It was getting full of dirt and it had turned on my finger. I thought the poor diamonds would be caked with mud. I was horrified when I turned the ring and noticed it was broken. It had cracked next to a diamond right through the whole ring. While Littman jewelers made good on this ring it had to be replaced (it was engraved as well). It took a very long time for me to get over the fact that this ring is not the one he gave me. Sometimes things are just beyond our control. I so hope you will be able to get some type of diamond to fit your ring. Just remember it is a "symbol" of your love for each other and nothing will deter it.

For your Bermuda trip------ you could easily wind up with fantastic weather. We have sailed there in July and 4 times September. 2 times in September not so nice weather. Just never know. Since Sakari is a water rat ( much like me at that age), she'll live it no matter cloudy or sunny.

Love your reviews. Any newbies in the boards with benefit so much from them

Good luck with your ring

Kathy

Oh gosh. So sorry to hear what happened to your ring too. It's just heartbreaking but I'm holding out hope until I talk to other jewelers.

Thanks for the comments and hopefully the newbies will find me. :D

I've been holding off commenting until this was over or at least you got to the Sky. Are you doing to do a Sky review too?

Glad you had a great time on the Sun. I took a Sky cruise that also was dominated by an old retirement home. About half the ship was some retirement home that took a cruise together. I actually LOVED it. It was quiet. No long lines and no noise at night LOL

I was waiting till the end to ask questions but if this is the end here is my question. Since the Sun and Sky are almost identical which did you prefer and why (excluding ports).

The differences I noticed was how the space on Sun that is Le Bistro is Cagneys on the Sky and vice versa.

Yes, I promise I am starting my Sky review tomorrow (well, it's almost 3am, so make that TODAY).

With starting my new job, Christmas around the corner and shopping, helping the hubby with all the inventory at the store for Christmas, it's just ben so hectic for me. I have managed to get all of my pictures ready to go. I will hopefully be able to fly through the entire review (time permitted between working and such), but it should go rather quickly once I get started. I'm so sorry for the wait.

I can't help but agree. Our Sun cruise was so nice, quiet and absolutely NO LINES for anything. It was amazing...unlike the Sky. :(

Since this isn't the "end", I'll hold of on my comparisions of the two ships. :D

As I write this I'm waiting to leave for the airport. Sailing on the Sky for Christmas.

I can't wait to read what you thought when I get back:D

Have a wonderful Christmas :}

Patty

Aww, I hope you have a wonderful Christmas cruise on the Sky. Fingers crossed for excellent weather for you. :)

Mitsugirly, which dinning room was open on embarkation day for lunch? I don't want to be herded to the buffet.

I've looked over the dailies but I didn't find anything. :(

I believe lunch is served from noon to 2 p.m. in the Four Seasons MDR

Harriet

Mitsugirly, which dinning room was open on embarkation day for lunch? I don't want to be herded to the buffet.

I've looked over the dailies but I didn't find anything. :(

Hmm, I really don't know myself because they wisk us away for the VIP lunch down in La Cucina.

I believe lunch is served from noon to 2 p.m. in the Four Seasons MDR

Harriet

There ya go. :D Thanks :)

Ok, I'm starting my much anticipated Sky review now. :D

Once again, I'm so sorry for the delay. Life happens and mine has been very busy lately.

I have decided I will start a new thread on the Sky and just give a link here since I know people might search for a review on the Sky and they won't want to sift through pages and pages of post to try to find it at the end of this review. I just figured it would be easier that way. :p

I will come back and post the link once I get the first post going. :)

Second half coming right up tomorrow. :)

Awww. How old is your daughter? I'm flattered and would happy to teach (and I'm sure Sakari would too). Sakari would love to have a playmate. She makes friends easily and when she makes friends, she keeps them. We have cruised again (planned) with friends she met on cruises before. :D

She is 7 1/2 so they would be in the same group. If you ever decide to cruise out of NYC let me know.:)