Internet Speed (for work)

JonnyCT81

I've also had to work while on a TA's. I didn't have any problems connecting to VPN but speeds were limited. It would often take 10 minutes to sync Outlook.

One other thing to take into consideration is Satellite Connection. On more than one TA we have lost all internet for up to 24 hours.

I have found that MTN now blocks Dropbox and most every other cloud site -- even obscure ones they missed a year ago. But so far, I have been able to get through to my office FTP site.

How would they block FTP, when each FTP site has a unique address?

First, in 2013 as someone said, shyped worked, but not anymore.

Second, no problem blocking FTP, websites, or anything they'd like. FTP is port 21, block that, or just block the range of ports or protocols needed for specific Internet service. Their network, their rules.

There are ways around this, but some of those can be blocked too.

I think the best way to have a good trip is to: 1 use the port days to work, use late at night times, or actually I found early mornings, like 4-6 am better as o wasn't sharing with staff. Then plan to enjoy the ship on sea says. Other than that, it may be hard to use internet for work.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I have found that MTN now blocks Dropbox and most every other cloud site -- even obscure ones they missed a year ago. But so far, I have been able to get through to my office FTP site.

How would they block FTP, when each FTP site has a unique address?

I would imagine they just block the default ftp port. There would be ways around that if the speed made it worth it, I suspect - but that doesn't seem to be the case. It's a shame, a little faster internet and I could try out some of those longer itineraries.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not too bad. I'm an IT guy by trade, so I have some expertise here. Does depend a bit on location in the ship. The ships are all Steel and that can mess with the wireless connections. They do seem to be blocking streaming, but can 't see anyone needing that for work. A VPN, presumably an ssl variety should work just fine.

Bandwidth is limited, but it is better than dial up, my estimate would be 500 kilo bits. ( old dial -up maxed at about 50kb, home DSL or cable goes anywhere from about 1.5 megabit up to maybe 100 MB, in the states, much faster in Europe and Asia. Korea is the fastest)

As far as blocking Dropbox and such, this is very common and easy to do. Web proxy software like Websence or Bluecoat do the work here-most companies employ them to keep you off sites that don't fit policy-cruise lines are no different. Transferring files or pictures to these sites kills bandwidth. To a previous poster, all file transfers to Dropbox style sites are done over port 443 or port'80 not ftp at port 21. Sorry for the heavy geek, but like I said, I do this stuff for a living.

Edited by ConnCruise

are no different. Transferring files or pictures to these sites kills bandwidth. To a previous poster, all file transfers to Dropbox style sites are done over port 443 or port'80 not ftp at port 21. Sorry for the heavy geek, but like I said, I do this stuff for a living.

Read the entire thread. The poster I was referring to said that she/he couldn't use dropbox so they were specifically using FTP, which is most definitely defaulted to port 21. Their company can change the available port on the sever end or even forward a different port to their FTP server pretty easily, so just blocking a port is not always sufficient and can be worked around. There most certainly are other ways to block an internet service.

Oh, and I was on a Disney ship recently, it was nice as speeds were great, definitely above 1meg though I didn't actually test. Prices were by transfer size, not by minute, so it was more "fair". I paid $39 for 300 meg over 3 days and skyped and all other services and ports I tried including cloud services (dropbox) worked just fine :) They have a $99 1000 meg plan which would likely be sufficient for most cruisers even for a week.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Read the entire thread. The poster I was referring to said that she/he couldn't use dropbox so they were specifically using FTP, which is most definitely defaulted to port 21. Their company can change the available port on the sever end or even forward a different port to their FTP server pretty easily, so just blocking a port is not always sufficient and can be worked around. There most certainly are other ways to block an internet

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I stand corrected.

I do work on firewalls, specifically PaloAltos ( the best) so I do get ports and protocols. Anyway, not a geek forum.

Like I said, connection is pretty good from the ship.

Hello my fellow Cruise Critic'ers!

My partner and I are thinking about taking a TA next year, however with the time required for it, and the stay in Europe my partner is going to need to get some work done on a few days on this ship (bummer I know...). He needs to "remote" into his office through his laptop and is concerned about the internet speeds. The last time he tried to do this was back in 2012 and it was just simply too slow. I didn't know if Celebrity was going to be taking advantage for the new advertised "fastest internet at sea" that Royal has since they are the same company. Can anyone please give me some info/personal experience as to their speed lately? For any computer geeks out there, he is planning on using Citrix to remote in. Thanks as always for the help!! ;)

If you absolutely positively MUST work while on vacation I'd stay far away from a cruise. Speeds are random. Moreso coverage is random. Each cruise is different. You could go from A > B six times and have some trips with no connection, some with a weak connection and some with a strong connection. Then theres the speed once connected. I'd shudder to think what a remote desktop connection would run like even on one of the allegedly 'fast internet' ships. Also satellite coverage in the middle of the Atlantic is a whole different world than say the Caribbean.

If you can get away with email and not need video or or remote desktop access I'd try it. If I *needed* that remote desktop connection Id either go landbased or explain that Ill be on vacation where internet access could be similar to chicken teeth.

Ill restate that past performance of the connection on a ship is no guarantee of future performance, especially if that performance was in a different part of the world at a different time of year with different weather conditions, different ships in the area etc...