Tipping w.no drink package

runner2013

http://www.elvallerestaurant.com/specials.html

A typical menu from one of the name brand Spanish / Hispanic franchise restaurants in my neighborhood that actually has a web presence. Then for everyone besides conandrob240, you'll understand where I'm from we normally either tip $5 altogether for the meal or tip $2 per person for it.

And if you guess it, yes, I am but I was trying to avoid it becoming a race issue because it just didn't dawn on her (and presumably so for others). That why I said, the 15% is not a steadfast rule because the food prices in some places are low like in my neighborhood, so people like me tip about $2-5 per person where $2 is the minimum.

Again, a cheap restaurant doesn't equate to a cheap tip no matter what your ethnic background, income or race.

I have no idea why you think a menu in a lower income area somehow proves your point. A standard tip is 15%. You can choose to go up or down from there. But a reason for going down shouldn't be because it is a low income area. That makes no sense. If anything, I'd tip more in a low income area where the food is very cheap. If you yourself are very low,income and you have managed to save enough money to eat out for a special occasion, tip less if you have to. I am sure the waitstaff would understand. However, it doesn't sound like that is your supination ( guessing because you sound like you eat out regularly)

If however, the place with the menu you posted is a take out place, then, yes, I do agree a lower tip is sufficient such as a few $ or 10%. I was referring to a waited meal at a table. The menu suggests perhaps it is more take- out style.

There is no $2 pp rule. The only rule I have ever heard of in the US is that 15% is standard. Less should be reserved for those. Wry rare occasions when you receive truly awful,service caused by the waiter him/ herself ( for example, rudeness, being completely ignored). More than 15% is more and more common with many people creeping up to the 20% realm these days especially if the service goes beyond the basic.

Edited by conandrob240

Because some people don't like to pay their obligations.

No I will gladly pay my obligations, it just that conandrob240 is pushing their agenda and not thinking clearly. Personally, she's coming across to me as nimrod but everyone else probably has a better and/or kinder opinion of her.

I put that link there to illustrate a point - In Manhattan paying a tab for $100 meal for 4 is common place and paying 15% tip makes sense. But when you're dealing with the outer boroughs of NYC (or any other part of the US) where the meal tab for 4 people at sit down restaurant with waitstaff is significant less, like about $20-50 altogether, the 15% tip doesn't really apply and will make you look like a cheapskate. So if I'm paying a tab of $25 for 4 people, I have 3 choices - pay the 15% overall and look like a bad tipper, pay $5 overall and look like a somewhat decent tipper or pay $2 per person & waiter /waitress is extremely happy. I guess I'm a horrible tipper for paying $8 tip on $25 meal tab for 4 in the Bronx. Now picture that with my immediate family of 11 deciding to do an impromptu family reunion and paying a $100-120 tab for that - the waiter / waitress is pretty much getting a bigger tip with the $2 per person over the 15% hands down.

Edited by maywell

But when you're dealing with the outer boroughs of NYC (or any other part of the US).
But we're not. This is a discussion board about cruises and this specific thread is about tipping for drinks on board NCL. Can we now return to that topic, please?

Personally I was interested to learn that you could reduce/remove the 15% auto-tip on the charge slip they give you to sign. I wouldn't do it myself, but I have always wondered how they could get away with calling this a gratuity if it was obligatory. I am now waiting to hear someone say they bought the UBP but removed the 15% gratuity (because they "prefer to tip in cash" :rolleyes:).

But we're not. This is a discussion board about cruises and this specific thread is about tipping for drinks on board NCL. Can we now return to that topic, please?

Personally I was interested to learn that you could reduce/remove the 15% auto-tip on the charge slip they give you to sign. I wouldn't do it myself, but I have always wondered how they could get away with calling this a gratuity if it was obligatory. I am now waiting to hear someone say they bought the UBP but removed the 15% gratuity (because they "prefer to tip in cash" :rolleyes:).

You cannot remove the 15% bar tip. One person "suggested" this with no proof they were successful. This person has an anti-tipping agenda and throws the proverbial crap on the wall to see what sticks.

Good luck with that - that will be very interesting scene at Guest Services. Like Beaver1975 said, someone claim they did that and changed 15% to a 10% tip on a bar tab (pretty much saving themselves pennies instead of paying the full $1 - *rolleyes*)

I put that link there to illustrate a point - In Manhattan paying a tab for $100 meal for 4 is common place and paying 15% tip makes sense. But when you're dealing with the outer boroughs of NYC (or any other part of the US) where the meal tab for 4 people at sit down restaurant with waitstaff is significant less, like about $20-50 altogether, the 15% tip doesn't really apply and will make you look like a cheapskate. So if I'm paying a tab of $25 for 4 people, I have 3 choices - pay the 15% overall and look like a bad tipper, pay $5 overall and look like a somewhat decent tipper or pay $2 per person & waiter /waitress is extremely happy. I guess I'm a horrible tipper for paying $8 tip on $25 meal tab for 4 in the Bronx. Now picture that with my immediate family of 11 deciding to do an impromptu family reunion and paying a $100-120 tab for that - the waiter / waitress is pretty much getting a bigger tip with the $2 per person over the 15% hands down.

Could this whole discussion have been avoided if you used the word "minimum" when mentioning the $5 or $2/pp?

If you're tipping 15% generally, with a minimum of $5, or $2pp because the meals are so cheap, that makes more sense.

When I go to a breakfast restaurant, and 15% of the $8 check is only 1.20, I typically round-up to $3 or $4 so that the server is making at least something.

Was that what you meant?

Could this whole discussion have been avoided if you used the word "minimum" when mentioning the $5 or $2/pp?

If you're tipping 15% generally, with a minimum of $5, or $2pp because the meals are so cheap, that makes more sense.

When I go to a breakfast restaurant, and 15% of the $8 check is only 1.20, I typically round-up to $3 or $4 so that the server is making at least something.

Was that what you meant?

I did say $2-5 per person with $2 being the minimum in couple of my posts - Why that person couldn't grasp that, I have no clue except maybe she wanted to further her agenda and was just not thinking clearly. Or maybe I didn't write it clear enough with all the different examples.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

This thread is breathtaking! When I saw the subject line question and then the number of pages I thought, HUH? and then I came to my senses and realized it's a tipping thread, not just a quick question and answer!

So, I just had to add my little story.

Like sjbtdz, I like to round up, especially on small checks. Doing this one time a friend remarked, "You know, when you over tip it is considered an insult by the waitstaff."

I waited until I was with a group of friends, several of whom had, at one time, waited tables. I offered the quote and inquired if they had ever felt insulted by a large tip.

When the laughter subsided, they assured me they had not.

You cannot remove the 15% bar tip. One person "suggested" this with no proof they were successful. This person has an anti-tipping agenda and throws the proverbial crap on the wall to see what sticks.
We have no proof for most statements and personal anecdotes that people post on this site. Do you have proof that the 15% auto-gratuity cannot be removed? I don't have any particular agenda, and I don't mind paying the 15%, but if it's actually obligatory I do object to them continuing it to call it a "gratuity". I don't mind them adding it automatically to all bar orders, and I don't expect them to make it easy to reduce/remove it, but I do feel like it should be possible to do so.

This thread is breathtaking! When I saw the subject line question and then the number of pages I thought, HUH? and then I came to my senses and realized it's a tipping thread, not just a quick question and answer!

So, I just had to add my little story.

Like sjbtdz, I like to round up, especially on small checks. Doing this one time a friend remarked, "You know, when you over tip it is considered an insult by the waitstaff."

I waited until I was with a group of friends, several of whom had, at one time, waited tables. I offered the quote and inquired if they had ever felt insulted by a large tip.

When the laughter subsided, they assured me they had not.

Great post!

Most folks here who comment on tips have never actually worked for one. When they're done here, perhaps they can go over to the rocket science forum and impress them with their intellect... :rolleyes:

Another European heard from. Here we go again. :(

Typical - you US types just do not get it - you are all getting your panties in a bunch trying to defend a feudal, out-of-date, exploitative system of remuneration which exploits low paid, vulnerable workers.

You are arguing about percentages and minimum amounts depending on which borough of NY you are in - :eek::confused:. Sorry but it is laughable reading these posts.

Take a step back and try to think rationally about the last couple of pages of posts.

You have clearly illustrated what a broken and unfair system you are defending. Anyone with a social conscience should be working towards eliminating this stupid and unfair system of remuneration for low-paid workers.

I totally accept that withdrawing tips/gratuities/service charges only hurts the most vulnerable (so I would not do it - I would swallow my principles for the good of the workers involved) - BUT - a blind acceptance of this antiquated system just serves to keep it going.

Other parts of the world (e.g Europe, Australia) have started to move away from this system. If enough people started to push against it in the US then, just maybe, a fairer, more reliable system of remuneration may start to be brought in.

Changing cruise lines systems may take somewhat longer however...:(

Edited by SteveH2508

Typical - you US types just do not get it - you are all getting your panties in a bunch trying to defend a feudal, out-of-date, exploitative system of remuneration which exploits low paid, vulnerable workers.

You are arguing about percentages and minimum amounts depending on which borough of NY you are in - :eek::confused:. Sorry but it is laughable reading these posts.

Take a step back and try to think rationally about the last couple of pages of posts.

You have clearly illustrated what a broken and unfair system you are defending. Anyone with a social conscience should be working towards eliminating this stupid and unfair system of remuneration for low-paid workers.

I totally accept that withdrawing tips/gratuities/service charges only hurts the most vulnerable (so I would not do it - I would swallow my principles for the good of the workers involved) - BUT - a blind acceptance of this antiquated system just serves to keep it going.

Other parts of the world (e.g Europe, Australia) have started to move away from this system. If enough people started to push against it in the US then, just maybe, a fairer, more reliable system of remuneration may start to be brought in.

If the system is going to change then it's going to be a change led by the workers (possibly the employers but doubtful) and while working for tips may not be the easiest way to make a living there are many tipped employees that are perfectly happy with the status quo. Tipped employee does not necessarily equal low paid employee. I know a gentleman that works for a resort hotel here in my state and he makes a very comfortable living from tips. The workers onboard make a pittance compared to many in this country but since they are making 2 to 3 times (or more) than they can make in their home country they are more than happy with the system. Workers in lower end establishments make less, but that is as much a function of where they are working than anything else. Sorry if this post sounds a little disjointed but I'm digesting a big meal right now :).

I'm sorry if this post is a little off topic, but I was discussing this thread with a friend of mine who is a manager in a very popular restaurant in New Orleans where customers typically tip 18 to 20%.

He remarked to me "I wonder if many of these people would tip this much if they knew the waiter made more money than they do". He said his main 6 waiters all make well into 6 figures a year. :eek:

Agreed, the system is broken. But the workers aren't the ones who broke it, and they would be the ones penalized by not working within it. Advocate for change by all means, but don't hurt those constrained within the existing framework.

I'm sorry if this post is a little off topic, but I was discussing this thread with a friend of mine who is a manager in a very popular restaurant in New Orleans where customers typically tip 18 to 20%.

He remarked to me "I wonder if many of these people would tip this much if they knew the waiter made more money than they do". He said his main 6 waiters all make well into 6 figures a year. :eek:

I paid the General Manager of my 210 seat, 5,000 sq. ft. restaurant with 60 employees, $38k / year (CDN). I suspect my servers made anywhere from $30 - $45k.

I would also bet that the popular restaurant in NOLA is popular because the service is stellar. I'd further wager that the service is stellar, because the manager ensures he has the best POSSIBLE staff working for him. I'd wager further still, that the only reason that calibre of staff even apply, is because of the opportunity to make that six figures.

I work in sales. When I progressed to a Global Sales Manager job, it was a 50% pay cut, from what I made in direct sales. I did it for a year for the experience, then went back to selling, for the money.

Edited by sjbdtz

Of course there are a top level of restaurants where the waiters stay for life and make a ton of money. Old established steak houses like Peter Lugers or very high end places come to mind. But, in most places, waitstaff is poorly paid and make probably in the $25k range. I would bet that is around average for a FT waiter.

Whether the system is wrong or broken is a different debate. You don't take it out on the waiters doing the job under the current system because you don't like the system.

In general, across the US ( yes, even in Queens!), 15% is a standard tip.

Edited by conandrob240