First time cruiser questions

just nik

This is our first cruise and I have a few questions. Is there a hair dryer in the room? What is in the dispensers in the shower? I am trying to not over pack. Do the teen clubs have regular video games or only arcade type you have to pay for? Can you set a limit on how much your kids can spend on their sign and sale card per pay? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is our first cruise and I have a few questions. Is there a hair dryer in the room? What is in the dispensers in the shower? I am trying to not over pack. Do the teen clubs have regular video games or only arcade type you have to pay for? Can you set a limit on how much your kids can spend on their sign and sale card per pay? Thanks

Welcome to cruising. Hope you love it as much as we do.

Hair dryer: Yes, but I've read they are not very powerful. (I have super-naturally curly hair so I stay far away from those.)

Shower dispensers: Liquid body soap and shampoo but no conditioner. There are also round bar soaps available, which I prefer.

Teens club: Can't answer, sorry.

S&S card: Yes, you can limit how much teens can spend. They can be loaded with cash or credit card. When we started cruising with our kids, we gave them no charging privileges. They had to seek us out any time they wanted to buy something, which they rarely did.

Have a great cruise.

Edited by stargate fan

Not all ships have hair dryers. Those that do have very underpowered ones.

The dispensers hold shampoo and shower gel. Seems like most will bring their own.

The clubs have wii, Xbox etc. No money needed.

You can limit the spending on any card. Go to guest services to set this up.

Also you may or may not be aware that there is a single electrical outlet in the room and another single out let in the bathroom. Bring some kind of extension cord/spike strip in a carry on bag if you have teens that plan on bringing tablets/game boys/smart phones, etc. If you check the cord it will be taken from your luggage.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

If you check the cord it will be taken from your luggage.

What does this mean? If we bring an extension cord in our checked luggage it will be confiscated? Are we supposed to only bring one in our carry on?

What does this mean? If we bring an extension cord in our checked luggage it will be confiscated? Are we supposed to only bring one in our carry on?

It's been known to happen, yes.

OP, about the kids limits, I'm pretty sure you can set your kids limits at the self serve kiosks as well. Guest services is a mob scene on first day.

Yes if you plan to bring one, have it in your carry on. It is carnivals normal policy that you should not bring them on the boat though. The reason they take the cords is because of the risk of fire they an overloaded for poses. They will also confiscate irons and bottles of liquor. When they confiscate an item they will leave a letter in your bag stating what they confiscated and where you can it back on the day you disembark.

Edited by rugbykat2010

Before the great debate starts regarding power/extension cords, please refer to Carnivals FAQ. It clearly states that they are NOT a prohibited item. That said, I have and many others have posted that they have been removed from checked luggage. I now place my new, still in the sleeve, power strip in my carry on with a copy of Carnivals policy.

Interesting side note about the one that got away. Three suitcases exactly alike checked at the same time and delivered to three cabins in a row. Two suitcases arrived with the power strip and one had "the" letter. So when people post that theirs did or did not make it to the room they are being truthful.

http://www.carnival.com/Core/FAQ.aspx?faq=restricted

The FAQ states and I have provided the link to the page above that "Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords are allowed on board when used with proper caution. *However, if such devises are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark."

So I do stand corrected, the Ecstasy's crew led me astray by saying they weren't allowed on board.

We do not bring our own shampoo and conditioner. I find that what is provided on the ship is just fine for my hair for the short time we are on board. I would have thought that all the ships have hair dryers but maybe not the ones that only do short 4 day cruises. It is like the ones in most hotels. It may not be the most powerful but it works!

We also do not bring extension cords or power strips.

Everyone travels differently so think about your own needs and pack accordingly.

I don't bring a power strip, but a small plug in that allow three items to be plugged in at once. It also has a little night light on it, that helps in the dark cabin.

I personally use the hair dryer (look in the cabin desk drawer). I personally don't like the shampoo and gel, but I do buy expensive shampoo at home so I take that along.

My advice, pack at light as you can, but bring the stuff you truly can't live without. And when you cruise again (you will) bring less the next time.

My favorite tip is bringing the over the door shoe holder with clear pockets. It keeps all the my stuff organized. I actually spent a bit more on one and it's been on three cruises with me. Love it.

Enjoy.