Policy on E-cigs

pirate52

I don't smoke at all but my daughter smokes the e-cigar. and I am much happier knowing she is smoking that than regular cigarettes....honestly, they don't smell why do some people have to create an issue when there isn't any!

You need to do some research. Most recent findings indicate formaldehyde contaminant in e-cigs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Because some people are not happy unless they're complaining and making sure other people are not having a good time. Their philosophy is "I'm miserable so everyone else should be miserable also." Okay folks, flame on!

Elvis

Not sure why believing that the science is still out regarding the safety of e-cigarettes is considered complaining or making sure that other people are not having a good time. E-cigarette "vaping" is still permitted onboard RCI ships, only limited to those same areas where smoking regular cigarettes are allowed. If that somehow makes folks miserable, I'm not sure what can be done to ease or eliminate their misery while still protecting the health of everyone onboard. Manufacturers of e-cigarettes have done a good pr job of promoting the idea that e-cigarettes are safe, but it remains to be seen if their claims are any more valid than the ones they used to make about cigarette usage.

What about cologne and perfume? You should do your research on those if you think ecigs are harmful. TONS of toxins and harmful chemicals. Like you don't want to smell ecigs? I don't want to smell the cologne or perfume you decided to bathe in. I would rather be around someone with an ecig then someone who showered themselves in "fragrance" any day of the week. And no, I don't smoke or use ecigs.

To the OP - on our last 4 cruises people were using them on balconies and in smoking areas. Saw one person using one in the comedy club

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Great idea, let's do it. But for now, since the e-cigs and smoking are prohibited on balconies and public areas, let's stopp them now.

Great idea, let's do it. But for now, since the e-cigs and smoking are prohibited on balconies and public areas, let's stopp them now.

Good luck, won't happen and clearly RC staff doesn't care to stop it.

You need to do some research. Most recent findings indicate formaldehyde contaminant in e-cigs.

It's only been a few days and this has already been exposed as more cherry picked data. The formaldehyde was produced when the voltage was increased to over 5 volts. This would taste so awful that nobody would ever actually do it.

I'm trying to locate a link to the actual study rather than linking to a blog or third person article...

If they get enough reports and complaints, they may decide to be more inclined to enforce the prohibition. That, after all, is the most likely reason for the policy changes in the first place. Blindly accepting that the rules won't be enforced is pretty much surrendering to those who flaunt their disregard for the rules and allows the staff to conclude that people don't really care.

Formaldehyde is everywhere. I can guarantee the levels of it in your home and on a cruise ship are far higher than you think. The study you are referring to admits that they had to overvolt the device to get the alarming result. Most device work at or around 3.7 volts and produce far less formaldehyde than present in a home or workplace. It takes close to 5 volts to produce the higher values as well as heating the coils with insufficient wicking

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's only been a few days and this has already been exposed as more cherry picked data. The formaldehyde was produced when the voltage was increased to over 5 volts. This would taste so awful that nobody would ever actually do it.

I'm trying to locate a link to the actual study rather than linking to a blog or third person article...

Ask and you shall receive. http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc1413069 they even admit the cherry picking of data and that in normal use 0.1 μg is the norm. 40 μg is the high average for homes and 125 μg is the high limit. Industrial areas (like a cruise ship) would most likely have even higher

You can't stop what you can't detect. I could be doing it right next to you and you would never know. On our freedom cruise in June, it was everywhere. Since most people are discrete about it, no one knows

FAA warns of fire danger caused by e-cigarettes on planes

This may be the game changer for all cruise lines... just a thought...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/faa-warns-of-fire-danger-caused-by-e-cigarettes-on-planes/ar-AA8wPEj

Not really a game changer. The FAA has ALWAYS mandated that they are carried on due to the lithium batteries. If you are concerned about that, you better not have a cell phone!!!

Not really a game changer. The FAA has ALWAYS mandated that they are carried on due to the lithium batteries. If you are concerned about that, you better not have a cell phone!!!

The comparison of highly regulated cell phones and mostly unregulated e-cigs is not a legitimate argument. And, since the stricter regulations of cell devices there have not been legitimate, documented instances of spontaneous combustion of those devices. Until e-cigs are subject to stricter regulations I suspect the FAA will take the proper steps to protect the flying public. Likewise, SOLAS and the cruise lines who are extremely concerned about the safety of their passengers and the protection of their assets are likely to follow suit.

The comparison of highly regulated cell phones and mostly unregulated e-cigs is not a legitimate argument. And, since the stricter regulations of cell devices there have not been legitimate, documented instances of spontaneous combustion of those devices. Until e-cigs are subject to stricter regulations I suspect the FAA will take the proper steps to protect the flying public. Likewise, SOLAS and the cruise lines who are extremely concerned about the safety of their passengers and the protection of their assets are likely to follow suit.

There have been many documented instances of cellphone and laptop battery combustion. A quick web search will show you more than you want to know

OP asked a very simple question:

Does anybody know the Royal Caribbean policy on E-Cigs?

Bob provided a definitive answer, with link, almost immediately:

Everything since that is really not significant - to the OP's question...

That's the easy part. Harder to predict how it will end? Locked? Deleted? Die a natural death?

I vote for locked.

Ahhh the good old days...smoking, tipping and shorts on formal nights. Now it just seems to be about Quantum and DD.

Great post.

What about smoking, in shorts, on formal night, in a robe, while putting my room service tray in the hallway?

Smoking/tipping/shorts threads are like an old comfortable pair of pajamas. You really should throw them out, your wife has been cranky at your for years to get rid of them, but they are so darn comfortable, you just love them.

Of 30+ years, I dislike anything that looks like a tobacco product. However After all these years, I still want a tobacco type product to use. I would love to have the so called E tobacco products guarantee me that they are SAFE so I could use them on occasion. There are many conflicting reports about their safety to evaluate.

Having said that, I hope they will remain in the SMOKING areas only until proven, SAFE for all of us.

I'm also happy for the smokers who are choosing this as a method to quit, it has to be better than smoking the real thing.

FAA warns of fire danger caused by e-cigarettes on planes

This may be the game changer for all cruise lines... just a thought...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/faa-warns-of-fire-danger-caused-by-e-cigarettes-on-planes/ar-AA8wPEj

The article states that they can pose a hazard if placed in checked luggage and from here on the airlines should demand they only be placed in carry-ons. This stems from an incident caused by an idiot not locking out his device's battery.

A simple sensible policy adjustment, far from a game changer.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Forums mobile app

It appears this thread is getting warmed up nicely!

We need some links to junk science articles financed by the e-cig companies, and a reference to fat people being banned also, to fully round out a classic smoking thread.

Edited by twindaddy

My husband vapes. Since he made the switch from cigarettes we have flown to Hawaii, been on two cruises (#3 in a few weeks), and stayed in Disney for a week. Never one time has his tank or any of the elements ever caught on fire...

You have every right to voice your opinion, of course, but I'm curious... why do you care if people continue to discuss this topic? I'm curious because it's likely my fault. I found what I thought was some new relevant information and rather than start a new thread I just posted to this one which kind of got it going again. My goal was to post information that might support the policy and it seemed, at least to me, like a reasonable place to post it.

Did I break some Cruise Critic rule? If I I humbly apologize and I'll start my own thread next time rather than use an existing one.

Tom

OP asked a very simple question:

Bob provided a definitive answer, with link, almost immediately:

Everything since that is really not significant - to the OP's question...

Edited by tserface

I think it is unlikely that there is much fire danger from these devices. Certainly not any more than any other devices. If there are restrictions on them it shouldn't be because of fire danger.

Did the airlines and Disney allow him to vape? That would be interesting information if they did. I could see maybe Disney in the outside since there is so much open area, but I'd be surprised if airlines allowed it.

But, yeah, I don't think there is much evidence for them being fire dangers and certainly no more than real cigarettes or any other battery operated device.

Tom

My husband vapes. Since he made the switch from cigarettes we have flown to Hawaii, been on two cruises (#3 in a few weeks), and stayed in Disney for a week. Never one time has his tank or any of the elements ever caught on fire...

I think it is unlikely that there is much fire danger from these devices. Certainly not any more than any other devices. If there are restrictions on them it shouldn't be because of fire danger.

Did the airlines and Disney allow him to vape? That would be interesting information if they did. I could see maybe Disney in the outside since there is so much open area, but I'd be surprised if airlines allowed it.

But, yeah, I don't think there is much evidence for them being fire dangers and certainly no more than real cigarettes or any other battery operated device.

Tom

No he didn't do it on the plane. My husband is considerate of others and understands that not everyone knows the difference between smoking and Vaping. Planes are confined spaces anyway.

At Disney he had to vape in the smoking area (which defeats the whole purpose of quitting) but we saw lots of people smoking throughout the park. Most acted like they didn't speak English and couldn't understand what the cast members said.

No he didn't do it on the plane. My husband is considerate of others and understands that not everyone knows the difference between smoking and Vaping. Planes are confined spaces anyway.

At Disney he had to vape in the smoking area (which defeats the whole purpose of quitting) but we saw lots of people smoking throughout the park. Most acted like they didn't speak English and couldn't understand what the cast members said.

Thanks for the reply. It's interesting to hear about how this new trend is playing out and how it's allowed. I applaud your husband for being considerate to others and for trying to switch to something, at least, less dangerous! Good for him!

Tom