Currently on board the 11/23 Quantum sailing

Tyron

Great getting it live, keep em coming Tyron...

. Again have they forgotten their meat and potatoes cruisers or really hoping the Millenniums have enough bucks to cruise a lot? I'm 64, wife 59, bumper cars, robotic drink makers, vending machine for wine, etc not so much for these bones. So to repeat the question, have they forgotten many of their good customers here by creating what they hope is a draw for the younger set?

George in NY - Quantum Dec 20 Holiday sailing

I don't think they have forgotten "meat and potatoes" cruisers like me. Had great beef tenderloin, rack of lamb, lamb shank, turkey and veggies in Grande, Chic, and American Icon. That said I also enjoyed the bumper cars, Northstar, and even gave Ripcord a go. Didn't try the Bionic Bar, but had no problems fining human bar tenders to fill my beverage needs. Celebrated my 74th birthday onboard Quantum and look forward to returning to her in February.

Hey Jonathan. :D

I booked the Anthem for next December. I'm going to check out the 10/11 day itineraries too.

I want to book Anthem too. Will have check the itineraries. I thought she debuted in New Jersey in November.

Jonathan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

All the cruises lines should consider building piers like in Labadee and Disney's Castaway Cay.

Agree 100% -- especially if these private Bahamian islands are going to serve as the centerpiece of an otherwise junky itinerary. I wonder if there are environmental considerations holding them back...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I don't think they have forgotten "meat and potatoes" cruisers like me. Had great beef tenderloin, rack of lamb, lamb shank, turkey and veggies in Grande, Chic, and American Icon. That said I also enjoyed the bumper cars, Northstar, and even gave Ripcord a go. Didn't try the Bionic Bar, but had no problems fining human bar tenders to fill my beverage needs. Celebrated my 74th birthday onboard Quantum and look forward to returning to her in February.

There were numerous more mature adults enjoying the bumper cars, Ripcord, roller skating, etc. They were having a BLAST! :D

I want to book Anthem too. Will have check the itineraries. I thought she debuted in New Jersey in November.

Jonathan

I think I'm going to try and book a early spring Athemn cruise in 2016. :cool:

There were numerous more mature adults enjoying the bumper cars, Ripcord, roller skating, etc. They were having a BLAST! :

That's just it. When we were at the seaplex it was all adults riding the bumper cars. A lady watching even commented she hadn't seen so many adults all riding bumper cars and having such a blast. In the Nation of Why Not?! It's all good!

Jonathan

I think I'm going to try and book a early spring Athemn cruise in 2016. :cool:

Edited by cruiserking

Again have they forgotten their meat and potatoes cruisers or really hoping the Millenniums have enough bucks to cruise a lot?

Well, don't they already have a lot of ships that work well for the "more traditional" cruisers?

I am not one who wants to "relax" on vacation - I like to be entertained, I like having a variety of activities to try, I want to spend time with my kid, and I don't gamble.

I am a GenXer with a kid, and I NEVER would have considered cruising until these newer ships came on board.

I would HOPE there's room for BOTH you (their traditional "bread and butter") AND me (younger, emerging market).

Society evolves (in terms of its "tastes") and so one would expect ships to evolve as well to meet the interests of the next generation... but with so many ships in its fleet, seems like they can evolve while STILL meeting the needs of more "traditional" cruisers...

I can see why the tech savvy could get frustrated on the cruise. Again have they forgotten their meat and potatoes cruisers or really hoping the Millenniums have enough bucks to cruise a lot?

Millennial with "enough bucks to cruise a lot" here. I'm really enjoying the cruise lines' recent attention to competing for our business. In fact, RCI has done such a good job in recent years that we were able to convince some friends, first time Millennial cruisers, to join us on our next cruise in May on Oasis (would have been Quantum had she not left for Shanghai). DW and I are also looking forward to our 12-night cruise on Anthem late next year.

Plenty of Millennials on our NCL Breakaway cruise a couple of weeks ago too. RCI and NCL are smart, know the market (here in the greater NYC area), and are building / deploying their new ships accordingly. There are plenty of ships -- in fact, the vast majority of ships -- that still offer a traditional cruising experience for those who are not interested in a Quantum-like experience.

Edited by Dave85

The newer ships are definitely geared towards a specific demographic but isn't that the case most everywhere.

In my opinion, people are resistant to change. The ship still offers shows, entertainment, pools, etc.

Some of the issues that have plagued the Quantum can and do happen on ships all the time (granted this is a brand new ship and there seems to be a higher percentage reporting issues). They are quick to respond and rectify the problem.

Despite the issues/glitches...the Quantum is a spectacular ship!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

T

In my opinion, people are resistant to change.

Amen. I'm highly confident that the Quantum Class will be great once all the kinks are worked out. As difficult as it was for me to do, I'm glad I waited on my first Q Class cruise until 2015.

Jonathan

Hi boys

I just booked a 4 day Cruise to Nowhere on the Anthem for March 4 2016.

The price was just perfect for me right now.

One of these hopefully I can take a longer cruise out

Lidia

Great getting it live, keep em coming Tyron...

I can see why the tech savvy could get frustrated on the cruise. Again have they forgotten their meat and potatoes cruisers or really hoping the Millenniums have enough bucks to cruise a lot? I'm 64, wife 59, bumper cars, robotic drink makers, vending machine for wine, etc not so much for these bones. I am tech savvy, been a hobby since and useful tool since early 80's for me. Even I scratch my head now, simply took much tech supplanting normal life.

So to repeat the question, have they forgotten many of their good customers here by creating what they hope is a draw for the younger set?

I am not sure it is as much age as attitude and likes. I am a 60 year old "Early Adopter" and very excited about the new technology. I don't think there could be too much tech for me. I like all the gadgets, information access and control the technology provides. I can remember when many complained about cellphones becoming a leash that your boss can always reach you. I looked at them as my freedom that allowed me to be anywhere to do my job including a cruise ship (if I wanted). I am familiar enough with technology to know that I should wait for the bugs to be worked out so I did not book a cruise until she is in action for a couple of months.

There are plenty of old fashion ships in the Royal fleet for the traditionalist (young and old) and by the time the technology reaches these ships it will be accepted.

So this is one "good customer" who is looking forward to the this techie ship.

Edited by Mythbuster

Well, don't they already have a lot of ships that work well for the "more traditional" cruisers?

I am not one who wants to "relax" on vacation - I like to be entertained, I like having a variety of activities to try, I want to spend time with my kid, and I don't gamble.

I am a GenXer with a kid, and I NEVER would have considered cruising until these newer ships came on board.

I would HOPE there's room for BOTH you (their traditional "bread and butter") AND me (younger, emerging market).

Society evolves (in terms of its "tastes") and so one would expect ships to evolve as well to meet the interests of the next generation... but with so many ships in its fleet, seems like they can evolve while STILL meeting the needs of more "traditional" cruisers...

You are correct of course, more than enough diverse product for all. I guess my concern is, and has been demonstrated through my years of cruising, that they all seem to copy one another as fast as they can.

I am also concerned that they will eventually price themselves out of all the markets using the added fee mindset. It works for airlines but they have advantage of being a transportation of necessity product.

Maybe I am being a too crotchety old guy? Hope not ;) We cruise a lot and I would not like to see that change because product phased itself out. I have already seen 4 cruise lines disappear through my years of cruising. Most of the rest have been swallowed by Carnival corporation. Our favorite Celebrity swallowed by RCL years ago. Though the run them all as different products in different areas some concepts are carried over between each for budgetary purposes.

That is my concern, not the young getting there fair share :)

Oh BTW genXer with a kid, the millenials are most market targets now pops. :)

As a boomer I sympathize with genXer's since they are really ignored more than us and millenials they claim. Matters not in the end, key words the end. By the time we reach that point we will have suffered the joys and indignities of each age if lucky.

George in NY - Quantum 12/20/14