What % off are travel agents giving?

AnnieC

I see on another thread that travel agents are now getting better commission from P&O thus, as in days of yore, there is more flexibility on pricing.

What percentage should I aim at getting them to part with?

Cheers,

Annie

Edited to add: For those unaware, we are not permitted to name agents, so please don't!

Edited by AnnieC

I have a fantastic agent who gives us at least 5%, also lots of little extras.

I think the standard discount is around the 5% mark.

Is it a local one? Hints only!

Edited by caber

If we order vouchers for a major high street travel agent through our bank account we get them at 5% discount so no haggling required. These can also be used for any holiday booked through them. We can also pay for the vouchers on our cash back credit card so win both ways.

If we order vouchers for a major high street travel agent through our bank account we get them at 5% discount so no haggling required. These can also be used for any holiday booked through them. We can also pay for the vouchers on our cash back credit card so win both ways.

That sounds interesting. I haven't heard of that.

We have a yorkshire bank signature account that costs £13.50 a month, gives the usual benefits such as roadside recovery, annual travel insurance, mobile phone cover etc but on top you get 4% discount with asda and morrisons, 10% off new look and loads of other high street stores including the 5% at the travel agents. You don't have to use the bank account to pay so we use our credit card and get the benefits off that. I think lloyds bank started something similar but not certain. This month we topped up our asda, costa and love to shop cards and saved around £20.

If you book through a TA, do you still get OBC offers and loyalty discounts? And can you still use Future Cruise Deposits? And are you still as eligible for upgrades as long as you book the appropriate fare category?

Just asking as so far we have always booked direct..

Hi Scriv,

Our upcoming cruise was booked onboard Aurora. We got the extra OBC for booking onboard as well as a very good basic OBC. We then got the booking transferred to our TA who gave us further extras. You can have the best of both worlds.

We always used to book direct but have saved a fortune over the past half dozen or so cruises by going down the TA route.

Very many thanks to you all.

Scriv - I can't see any advantage to booking direct and have never done so. Others may know different, but the only difference seems to be that you pay more!

Thanks again for everyone's input.