Did RCL do anything special for your birthday?

ignites

just curious does royal ever do anything special for your birthday?

Was just discussing this with my family, during the qunatum tranatlantic, we had a birthday planned / celebrate on the cruise and this was selected in the pre-cruise online form. Yet on the cruise nothing happened, we did not have anything for us in our staterooms (no signs on the door like the have on princess) or cake waiting for us for dinner.

Is this 'expected'? If so, why did they even bother asking if we're celebrating anything on the cruise.

you have to purchase signs and a birthday cake, it would have asked for credit card prior to your cruise

Even that didn't help. Even after twice being told by GS "your room will be decorated tonight" - nothing. Eventually, on the third night a bottle of bubbly showed up - by this point free of charge (with a full refund of other charges for the birthday request). I brought the bottle to dinner and when asked by table mates what's that for, I said: For my birthday - three days ago.

On other cruises, if the crew is swift, they'll do something for you - but, alas, this was just another glitch with a new ship.

Edited by Biker19

We have celebrated several birthdays on Royal cruises. We usually order the birthday package with cabin decorations and a cake. They have always been delivered on the day we specify pre-cruise. Also, we always get a piece of birthday cake at dinner for the birthday person (not everyone) and the waiters sing happy birthday.

• 1 month later...

While onboard next summer we (a total of 14) will be celebrating my nephews 2nd birthday. If we mention something to to the concierge do you think they may decorate or do something for him. We have a total of 4 cabins booked, 2 owners suites and the 2 Royal family suites. I would hope with all the suites they would do something. Not that the 2 yr old would like it but his 6 yr old siblings(triplets) would.

Anyone have any luck with consierge helping out?

just curious does royal ever do anything special for your birthday?

Was just discussing this with my family, during the qunatum tranatlantic, we had a birthday planned / celebrate on the cruise and this was selected in the pre-cruise online form. Yet on the cruise nothing happened, we did not have anything for us in our staterooms (no signs on the door like the have on princess) or cake waiting for us for dinner.

Is this 'expected'? If so, why did they even bother asking if we're celebrating anything on the cruise.

I was on the Christmas Quantum cruise and my birthday was on Dec. 26. RCL did nothing for me even though it was noted in their records. I was a bit surprised since RCL and Cunard went out of their way to do special things for me last time I was on one of their ships on my birthday.

However, after the all around horrible execution of service on this sailing on Quantum, it should not have surprised me that nothing was done.

On Quantum we found a happy birthday sign on our door (my 31st was day before embarkation). Had birthday decorations hanging from the ceiling, chocolate covered strawberries on the desk and a bottle of champagne on ice was delivered once we got to the room. Here's what it looked like (the one streamer broke cause I got it caught in the closet door to the right of the bathroom.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d28/fastdak25/Cruise%2006/20141214_134005.jpg

Edited by Fastdak25

They asked if we were celebrating anything every time I called. I always said just the inaugural sailing (yeah, should have made them write that down, they would have celebrated about as much then). About a week before we sailed I called to review everything (thought I was being proactive to prevent more unforeseen issues, it was a waste of time anyway but I won't go into that here) and they once again asked. This time I thought about it and asked what it meant if I said yes. They said they would simply put a candle in the persons desert on the chosen night and the waiters would sing. My mom's birthday was just over a week before we left and my dad's was just over a week after we got back so I decided I would have them put both down. They asked what night we wanted to celebrate so I told them our first night at the Grande for my mom (night 3 of the inaugural) and the last night at the Grande for my dad (night 10 of the Southern Caribbean). I asked if they were still doing this with Dynamic Dining and was assured that they were, he even said they received an notification about the Quantum and a slight change in these procedures. Sounded like it was more reliant on scheduling ahead and it being in the system since you changed tables and the waiters could not easily verify the day before. We sailed, came back, and nothing happened on either night. I didn't see anything happen for anyone on any night though either. So maybe they don't plan on celebrating special occasions on Quantum or their system simply doesn't work (the more likely reason). It could also just be a complication they don't want to deal with while refining DD that may come back later. What ever the reason may be though it would be nice if the shore side people knew so they wouldn't be scheduling these things when the ship can't follow through with them yet. Not a big deal or one I even care about, but another inconsistency.

I didn't see anything happen for anyone on any night though either. So maybe they don't plan on celebrating special occasions on Quantum or their system simply doesn't work (the more likely reason). It could also just be a complication they don't want to deal with while refining DD that may come back later. What ever the reason may be though it would be nice if the shore side people knew so they wouldn't be scheduling these things when the ship can't follow through with them yet. Not a big deal or one I even care about, but another inconsistency.

We were celebrating a birthday on board as well. Nothing happened for us either, although at the same restaurant, we did hear the waiters singing happy birthday to another table. So I would guess it's their system just not connecting everything together, like with so many other things.

I was on the Christmas Quantum cruise and my birthday was on Dec. 26. RCL did nothing for me even though it was noted in their records. I was a bit surprised since RCL and Cunard went out of their way to do special things for me last time I was on one of their ships on my birthday.

However, after the all around horrible execution of service on this sailing on Quantum, it should not have surprised me that nothing was done.

Need to correct a typo. I meant to say that NCL and Cunard went out of their way to do special things for my birthday. Never got anything from RCL on this cruise or any other of their cruises for my birthday. So why does RCL even bother asking? Wouldn't that just set up an expectation that some kind of recognition would be forthcoming? Whatever. All around I was dissatisfied with this cruise. Didn't matter if they recognized my birthday or not. That was pretty inconsequential given the horrible service from check in to disembarkation.

Edited by kiyoko

I recently celebrated my 60th birthday on Explorer. I have sailed her many times. I just mentioned that because I don't know if that made any difference. After returning to my cabin after dinner, there was a happy birthday sign on the outside of my cabin door. Inside, the entire cabin was decorated with banners and more signs. Never really found out who did it, but sure it wasn't a family member. It made my cruise!!!!!!!

Need to correct a typo. I meant to say that NCL and Cunard went out of their way to do special things for my birthday. Never got anything from RCL on this cruise or any other of their cruises for my birthday. So why does RCL even bother asking?

We were just on Breakaway in November for my wife's birthday and had a similar experience. We came back to the room and found a birthday card from NCL and a delicious cupcake (the Carlo's Bakery kind that is usually for sale down in the atrium). A small gesture, but it went a long way for us. RCI has cupcakes too... not sure why they can't do something similar.

I recently celebrated my 60th birthday on Explorer. I have sailed her many times. I just mentioned that because I don't know if that made any difference. After returning to my cabin after dinner, there was a happy birthday sign on the outside of my cabin door. Inside, the entire cabin was decorated with banners and more signs. Never really found out who did it, but sure it wasn't a family member. It made my cruise!!!!!!!

I will really miss the Explorer, what great ship. My guess is that you received this special treatment because someone ordered (and paid for) the Birthday Package for you or the concierge arranged it. Were you in a suite or D+/Pinnacle?

Well it says "Celebrating Birthday" on my reservation and confirmation. I did not pay for anything (Cake or Decorations). So I will see what happens later this month on Quantum. I have sailed on my birthday before , receiving a whole cake to share with tablemates and a card on HAL and Cunard. I even got a postcard taped to my door on Carnival last year. All 3 were free.

Not really expecting anything, once you give them your Date of birth, they know when it is.

Denise