Veendam balcony / verandah question

BearlyRob

Certainly okay to be on, not huge, an older vessel, but comfortable for 2, and depending where you are going, will be fine, rugs provided for colder days, like the far reaches of Sth America. However as on all HAL ships you have the Crows Nest, which is such a great place to see the world ,in all weathers. That is one of the good reasons for choosing HAL, a feature now missing from a lot of other ships, crammed with cabins. You will enjoy no matter where you settle.!

Any feedback on the verandahs / balconies on the HAL Veendam? Are they large enough to lounge on? And are they private?

If you want a lot of room on veranda I suggest the wrap around ones in the rear. 095 and the one opposite. Pics are available on halfacts.com

Any feedback on the verandahs / balconies on the HAL Veendam? Are they large enough to lounge on? And are they private?

We were on the Veendam in March of this year- were upgraded from OV to a Lanai cabin for $300 ea, then had an offer of a Veranda for another $100 each. We chose an "A" category, 052, on the Navigation deck. Great location, close to the elevators, up to Lido one floor, down to the MDR entrance was easy also. We were disappointed with the size of the veranda. Has one lounge chair, 2 other chairs and a very small round table. The door to the veranda is a regular hinged door, so rearranging the furniture is difficult to keep the doorway free. No room for breakfast, just space for 2 glasses on the table for happy hour. We sent pictures of our cabin & veranda to Halfacts.com, but they haven't been added yet.

As we are going on Veendam in May 15 does anyone know how the lanai cabins are for noise etc.Thanks:(

The lanai cabins on the Veendam are former OVs on the lower promenade deck. They are simply outside cabins whose windows were replaced with sliding glass doors, allowing you to step directly onto the deck shared with other passengers. There is no private deck or lanai. What you do get, in addition, is assigned deck chairs outside your cabin for your private use.

They are fine for what they are, but I imagine some book them thinking they have a private balcony, which they don't. As far as noise, you will have other passengers walking past your sliding door, so there will be some noise there as well as loss of privacy. The glass has a reflective privacy coating on it, but is not fully private. You will need to close your drapes for that.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Ryndam2002

Thanks for the feedback! Just knowing that there is a lounge chair on the verandah makes it sound larger than the balcony on the last NCL cruise I took, and sounds fantastic for relaxing. As far as privacy goes, the pics make it look very private, so if my neighbors go to the effort of peeking around the partition and see me lounging naked, that's their problem! :)

...As far as privacy goes, the pics make it look very private, so if my neighbors go to the effort of peeking around the partition and see me lounging naked, that's their problem! :)

Just be aware, if you aren't already, that between cameras and the bridge wings, almost every outdoor spot on the ship is visible to someone. I personally don't go out on the balcony without at least swim trunks on. I guess I don't want to end up naked on some "cruisers gone wild" sort of video ;).

Just be aware, if you aren't already, that between cameras and the bridge wings, almost every outdoor spot on the ship is visible to someone. I personally don't go out on the balcony without at least swim trunks on. I guess I don't want to end up naked on some "cruisers gone wild" sort of video ;).

I will keep that in mind, but as a lifelong nudist, it will be hard to turn down an opportunity to just lounge quietly by myself au naturel.

We were on the Veendam in March of this year- were upgraded from OV to a Lanai cabin for $300 ea, then had an offer of a Veranda for another $100 each. We chose an "A" category, 052, on the Navigation deck. Great location, close to the elevators, up to Lido one floor, down to the MDR entrance was easy also. We were disappointed with the size of the veranda. Has one lounge chair, 2 other chairs and a very small round table. The door to the veranda is a regular hinged door, so rearranging the furniture is difficult to keep the doorway free. No room for breakfast, just space for 2 glasses on the table for happy hour. We sent pictures of our cabin & veranda to Halfacts.com, but they haven't been added yet.

I have seen quite a few of the balconies on the R and S class ships -- categories A, B, BB, etc. and they had only 1 chair, a tiny table and 1 lounger.

Wonder how your balcony happen to get 2 chairs? That must have been very crowded.

I will keep that in mind, but as a lifelong nudist, it will be hard to turn down an opportunity to just lounge quietly by myself au naturel.

If your cabin is forward of the Lido overhang, there's a great window from which most all the balconies can be viewed.

Just so ya know.

I have seen quite a few of the balconies on the R and S class ships -- categories A, B, BB, etc. and they had only 1 chair, a tiny table and 1 lounger.

Wonder how your balcony happen to get 2 chairs? That must have been very crowded.

Yes, it was crowded - the lounge chair was to the left of the door, stretched from the wall of the cabin to the clear wall of the outside of the veranda; no extra space at top or bottom. There were 2 regular chairs to the right of the door, very small table between. We tried to arrange the chairs side by side to look over the ocean, was difficult with the hinged door. I'd estimate the size as about 6 1/2 feet by maybe 10 or 11 feet. It sure would have been nicer with a sliding glass door.