First Time Cruisers Live from Viking Kara

Francis M

My favorite wife and I are leaving tomorrow for our dream trip - visiting the Christmas markets along Viking's Heart of Germany cruise. We have never been on any kind of cruise. I offer a heartfelt thanks to all of the contributors to this board for sharing your insights and giving us the courage to take the plunge - oops - bad metaphor for a river cruise.

I started a little blog for our family and friends. I'll post a bit, with pictures each day and wanted to share it with you. I know how helpful these things were to us in planning our trip.

https://christmascruiser.wordpress.com/

If anyone is planning this trip or has any general questions about Viking I'll be happy to answer as I can.

Happy Holidays and Smooth Cruising to all,

Frank

Can't wait the hear about your experiences as we leave on the 12th for our own Christmas Markets cruise, on the Danube. Any information you can share about Nuremburg would be very much appreciated. I think I had read that where the boat docks is about 4 miles from the Old Town where the markets are. I would like to know if there are shuttles, buses or cabs for anyone that wishes to strike out on their own.

The ships are docked along the canal in Nuremburg which is about 3-4 mikes from the Old Town. Some of the cruise lines will run shuttles, however there are plenty of taxis also at the docks. If you are cruising with Viking and starting in Nuremburg, your only free time will be your arrival day, the next day you will tour with the ship in the morning and then the ship sets sail in the early afternoon at lunch. If you are concluding in Nuremburg, you should still have time after the included tour for free time. Nuremburg is one of the largest markets, but you will be enjoying many other great, smaller ones along the way too

The ships are docked along the canal in Nuremburg which is about 3-4 mikes from the Old Town. Some of the cruise lines will run shuttles, however there are plenty of taxis also at the docks. If you are cruising with Viking and starting in Nuremburg, your only free time will be your arrival day, the next day you will tour with the ship in the morning and then the ship sets sail in the early afternoon at lunch. If you are concluding in Nuremburg, you should still have time after the included tour for free time. Nuremburg is one of the largest markets, but you will be enjoying many other great, smaller ones along the way too

Thank you! We conclude in Nuremberg, and I really want to make the most of our final full day in Germany.

Francis M ~ I'll be reading your blog with interest and nostalgia! Just a year ago we - my favorite husband and I - were in Basel enjoying the CMs and waiting to board the Rinda for a Rhine River cruise - WOW - how times flies!!!! We're thinking of the Danube for our next adventure - just not sure yet what time of year!

Enjoy your trip and soak up every moment!!!

Hi to all , first time I've checked back here . My computer time is limited by my need for gingerbread and schnapps . I am posting our daily activities on a blog. If you're interested find your way there via my other posts. Pictures there too.

Viking ran plenty of shuttles to and from Nuremburg both on arrival day and on our first full day. We had a long morning tour and still plenty of time to see the markets.

I will definitely pass the message along to the captain.

Thanks Photo Peg - I got lots of help from your posts.

When I return I'll do some recaps with lots of pictures and a focus on Viking and the nuts and bolts of cruising from a 1st timers perspective.

We're about to dock in Wertheim . I think the schnapps are good here.

Frank

Francis M ~ happy to know my rambling posts were a help!!

Enjoy the schnapps - they'll be good in all the ports and markets! We enjoyed "comparing" the glug/mulled wine at all the CM we visited last year - just a necessary hardship of the trip -lol!!

Your blog is great!!!

It's hard to believe that this time last week we were sailing toward Wertheim; enjoying the most beautiful scenery of our cruise and getting ready for another perfect day.

The best gift that Viking gave us was the desire for more. Yes, I think we're hooked on river cruising. I want to give another big thanks to everyone who contributes on this board. As an inveterate planner I would not have been able cope without you.

From Dee & I to all of you - may the locks always be open and the rivers just the right height and Frohe Weinachten,

ps: I wish I had the skills to get decent pictures in here. I committed myself to one blog which does have lots of pics and the last entry is here https://christmascruiser.wordpress.com/2014/12/12/all-good-things/