Pets on board

mikevet

These kind of comments always make me wonder if it was you that had a disability and had a legitimate service animal would you never go to a public dining facility? Someone that is disabled wants to do normal things just like everyone else. Thankfully the ADA exists so that public places cannot refuse entry to people with service animals, including restaurants. Service animals are trained to be unobtrusive and very well behaved in public.

No, not all service dogs have training. That is the problem. People are abusing the service animal laws and bringing in any dog they want to any and all public places. It is against the law in California to ask for proof of a service animal and the restaurants are forced to allow them.

I don't have a problem if it is a true support animal....but now a days, most aren't trained for anything.

First I love dogs, I will never bad mouth TRUE service dogs they are of great value to everyone not just the owner. However after allergy test, showed I am severely allergic to YES DOGS. I hate to think I had a cabin just after a dog was in it.

I can tell stories about NON SERvice dogs on ships, and in stores, here in Florida all you have to do is say it is a service dog and they will let you in MOST places with out question. I have even seen dogs in Sam's club take a dump on the floor and the most couples just ignored it, true service dogs will not do this unless they have been abused with nature callings. One ship story,I saw a man bring his wife's so called service dog????? (some one told me she really needed it), in to the Concierge lounge and placed in on the sofa, and fed it some stuff from the breakfast items, that evening a lady in a posh dress sat in the same place as the dog was eating. I complained to the Concierge about that one he listened, RIGHT.

There needs to be some REAL control from the government to give businesses the TRUE right to keep NON service dogs from being in places where they do not belong.

There was a lady who had an emotional support skunk. See photo here:

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/skunked/

I later met someone who actually knew about this woman - said there had been stories in their local news. It seems the skunk was an "emotional support" service animal and that's why she was allowed to bring it into Walmart.

On our last cruise I saw 3 small dogs.

All of a Sudden I Consider Myself an Expert on Service Dogs!

Last Saturday we got a Service Dog for my Wife, Judith. "Booty" is trained to help Judith with hearing and stability. Our biggest fear is that Judith will fall, hurt herself, not be able to get up, and not be able to get to me for help.

Booty is trained to find me if Judith needs help! Booty can sniff me out and even if she can't get through a closed door she can bark and make enough of a commotion to attract my attention.

Here is Judith with Booty when they first met last Saturday.

DSCN1493_zps092a7bd1.jpg

Booty was a "rescue" and we were lucky to get her from the "Dog Liberator". "http://thedogliberator.com http://www.facebook.com/DogLiberator

Here is Judith with Gisele , the Dog Liberator, in person. Gisele told us about Booty's background and training and explained the rules and regulations and what additional training we had to do with booty. A special thanks to Gisele for all of her help!

DSCN1499_zpsfc0269b0.jpg

After everything was don and we ran out of questions, we headed home with Booty. We had to make a few stops and decided to get some Pizza on the way home.

The Owner/Manager of the Pizza Joint threw us out because of Booty. He claimed that we needed a State License with both Judith's and Booty's photos on it. I had no clue what he was talking about so we left rather than pitching a big fit.

After talking with Gisele after we got home I learned that we were in the right. So I wrote a Review of the Pizza Joint on Trip Adviser.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g34534-d4054705-r241532460-Sami_s-Palm_Coast_Florida.html

Gisele also gave me two excellent web sites about Service Dogs.

http://www.ada.gov/qasrvc.htm

http://www.servicedogsamerica.org/

We have a cruise coming up on the Allure in January and we have decided not to take Booty on the cruise for several reasons.

- I can do everything for Judith that Booty can do and we are always together on a cruise.

- W have to make arrangements with RCI in advance to take Booty which is easy to do.

- We cant take Booty "outside" to Pee & Poop so we have to provide "potty pads" and put up with the smell in our cabin. (RCI provides for this but I really don't like what they provide)

- I am worried about taking Booty ashore in a foreign port which does not have the US's ADA protection.

Here is the basic "rule" for Service Dogs:

(6) Inquiries. A public accommodation shall not ask about the nature or extent of a person’s disability, but may make two inquiries to determine whether an animal qualifies as a service animal. A public accommodation may ask if the animal is required because of a disability and what work or task the animal has been trained to perform. A public accommodation shall not require documentation, such as proof that the animal has been certified, trained, or licensed as a service animal. Generally, a public accommodation may not make these inquiries about a service animal when it is readily apparent that an animal is trained to do work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability (e.g., the dog is observed guiding an individual who is blind or has low vision, pulling a person’s wheelchair, or providing assistance with stability or balance to an individual with an observable mobility disability).

A place of public accommodation can’t ask you about your disability, but they may ask the following two questions:

1.) If your partner is required because of a disability (NOT “What is your disability?” or “Are you disabled?”)

2.) What specific, trained tasks your partner performs for you?

There is no documentation, paperwork, license or certification required as proof that a dog is a Service Dog, and businesses can’t require that you produce any documentation. If it’s obvious your dog is working as a Service Dog, under federal law, a public accommodation may not ask you to clarify your partner’s purpose further.

In addition to Service Dogs there are "support animals" which are more for emotional support than for performing actual service tasks.

Emotional support animals, comfort animals, and therapy dogs are not service animals under Title II and Title III of the ADA. Other species of animals, whether wild or domestic, trained or untrained, are not considered service animals either. The work or tasks performed by a service animal must be directly related to the individual’s disability. It does not matter if a person has a note from a doctor that states that the person has a disability and needs to have the animal for emotional support. A doctor’s letter does not turn an animal into a service animal.

One final thought. It is best to not pet a Service Dog without permission because it can confuse the dog and limit the dog's ability to serve his or her master.

No, not all service dogs have training. That is the problem. People are abusing the service animal laws and bringing in any dog they want to any and all public places. It is against the law in California to ask for proof of a service animal and the restaurants are forced to allow them.

I don't have a problem if it is a true support animal....but now a days, most aren't trained for anything.

That usually gives you a good idea if it is a true service animal. If it doesn't behave in public and barks or runs around then chances are good it's not a service dog.

The law allows a business to ask what service the dog performs but you are not allowed to ask the person what their disability is.

The whole service dog thing is like medical marijuana or handicap parking... people want to bring dogs / smoke pot / park up close, it's banned, and then there's an exception made, so of course everyone wants the piece of paper that gives them a pass.

I love dogs, dog-friendly restaurants, etc. But I don't think dogs should be on ships. It isn't fair to anyone, especially the dog. Seeing-eye dogs are one thing, and rare. But "service dogs"? If you have some syndrome where you cannot be apart from your dog, you shouldn't be on a cruise and away from medical attention.

There needs to be some REAL control from the government to give businesses the TRUE right to keep NON service dogs from being in places where they do not belong.

great comments North!

The one that makes me laugh is government created this mess. They can't handle the Post Office, deficit, Amtrack, Social Security to name a few. They won't solve this one my friend.

The whole service dog thing is like medical marijuana or handicap parking... people want to bring dogs / smoke pot / park up close, it's banned, and then there's an exception made, so of course everyone wants the piece of paper that gives them a pass.

I love dogs, dog-friendly restaurants, etc. But I don't think dogs should be on ships. It isn't fair to anyone, especially the dog. Seeing-eye dogs are one thing, and rare. But "service dogs"? If you have some syndrome where you cannot be apart from your dog, you shouldn't be on a cruise and away from medical attention.

Well based on that logic many people that cruise, shouldn't and only people that are 100% healthy should go. Not the person that has had a heart attack, the person with seizures, diabetes etc. the list could go on and on. They should stay home and never go anywhere. Maybe set age ranges. No one over the age of 50 should be allowed to cruise as they probably are sickly. And let's get rid of people with scooters too cause it inconveniences me to have to walk behind them. If you can't walk then cruising isn't for you.

Just because you have a disability doesn't mean you shouldn't continue living your life. And someone with a legitimate service animal should not have to stay home just because other people don't want to see a dog in a restaurant or other public venue. You are right, it isn't fair. It isn't fair that just because you don't agree with something you think it shouldn't be allowed.

Edited by BeachChik

That is just so wrong.:(

Please take the time to read my post above and follow the links I posted.

I agree that the whole Service Dog / Emotional Support Animal thing is being abused badly.

But, and it is a big but, a properly trained Service Dog can be a miracle to a person who needs and can afford one.

Well based on that logic many people that cruise, shouldn't and only people that are 100% healthy should go. Not the person that has had a heart attack, the person with seizures, diabetes etc. the list could go on and on. They should stay home and never go anywhere. Maybe set age ranges. No one over the age of 50 should be allowed to cruise as they probably are sickly. And let's get rid of people with scooters too cause it inconveniences me to have to walk behind them. If you can't walk then cruising isn't for you.

Just because you have a disability doesn't mean you shouldn't continue living your life. And someone with a legitimate service animal should not have to stay home just because other people don't want to see a dog in a restaurant or other public venue. You are right, it isn't fair. It isn't fair that just because you don't agree with something you think it shouldn't be allowed.

Your words...."legitimate" service dogs.

MOST out there are NOT legitimate service dogs. They are for "emotional support" and are not trained.

I have no problem with a true service dog and I do believe that certain disabilities warrant the help.

The ones we are complaining about are the ones who aren't trained, are dirty and are forced on people and restaurants when there isn't a need for it.

It is totally fair...if indeed there is a "REAL" need for a service dog.

The law allows a business to ask what service the dog performs but you are not allowed to ask the person what their disability is.

The law allows them to "ask". But whatever they answer, they still HAVE to accommodate the animal unless it becomes unruly.

Businesses have no choice, no matter what the reason, nor how dirty the persons animal is....and no accommodation for the other person in the room that may be allergic.

I often wondered this too. Because after 14 years it was hard to leave our little dog at home. But then I realized that I was just being selfish, thinking of how I would miss her and not how uncomfortable she would be on that ship.

Several years ago, we left our dogs with a sitter and went on a 7 day cruise only to return to find that our dog was tragically kicked to death by a donkey on our farm. Our dogs have never been outside more than the time needed to go potty and have had the best of everything we could give them. We can't have children and miniature schnauzers are our children. We now have two sisters from the same litter and their vacation costs as much as our cruise. I often wish I were a dishonest person and could abuse the system by having them as service animals but I wouldn't want to face all the other passengers knowing that they're thinking "what's wrong with you" and "what are they doing here".

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Cunard Cruise Lines have kennels on board QM2 for transatlantic routes. In fact it's even in their FAQ on their website.

Are dogs welcome?

Queen Mary 2’s kennel programme is available on all Transatlantic Crossings between New York and Southampton in either direction, and is managed by a full-time Kennel Master who takes care of responsibilities such as feeding, walking and cleaning the ship’s 12 spacious kennels. Travelling dogs and cats also receive a complimentary gift pack. The kennels and adjacent indoor and outdoor walking areas are open throughout the day, enabling guests to spend significant time with their pets. Reservations for the kennels may be made at time of booking, and are based on availability. Contact Cunard for fees, details and additional requirements. All animals must be in compliance with the Pets Travel Scheme and in possession of a pet passport.

Are service animals/guide dogs welcome?

Cunard is pleased to permit individuals to bring service animals on board. You must provide notice of this at time of booking. Local laws or customs may prevent animals from disembarking at particular ports or countries. It is the passenger's responsibility to consult local customs authorities for requirements and to obtain all applicable documents and health certificates. Service animals are kept in staterooms with their owners. Non-service animals are only carried on QUEEN MARY 2 Transatlantic Crossings, in kennels, and are not allowed to visit any guest area of the ship.

Have a read here:

http://vetshelpingheroes.org/

I am personally acquainted with this organization and it's founder, Irwin Stovroff (Irwin is 92 now) and several board members, one of whom spent 7 years in the "Hanoi Hilton" during Vietnam.

While there is no doubt much abuse when it comes to service animals, I thought I'd post something that is very real.

VetsHelpingHeroesImage2.jpg

This thread is called PETS on board. Mouth breathing, full of themselves attention seekers are either too stupid to know what they are doing is wrong or just don't care. If you are carrying a yip yap dog around and claim it is for emotional support you are full of BS and don't need the dog there. If your little ankle biter is being pushed in a stroller get over yourself and maybe see a shrink.

No one has trouble with trained service animals doing work. Huge difference. They are not pets. They have special breeding and training to provide assistance.

I wouldn't want to face all the other passengers knowing that they're thinking "what's wrong with you" and "what are they doing here".

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

This is what I say to myself every time I walk through Boca Town Center and see these stupid ladies with dogs in strollers. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:There is a place for dogs and its at home/ in the yard or on a walk/ at a dog park.

this thread is called pets on board. Mouth breathing, full of themselves attention seekers are either too stupid to know what they are doing is wrong or just don't care. If you are carrying a yip yap dog around and claim it is for emotional support you are full of bs and don't need the dog there. If your little ankle biter is being pushed in a stroller get over yourself and maybe see a shrink.

No one has trouble with trained service animals doing work. Huge difference. They are not pets. They have special breeding and training to provide assistance.

this!!!!!!!!!!!

just wondering

Yes, there was a thread not too long ago about a dog on a Celebrity ship which was allowed to sit on a chair in the dining room and did it's 'business' on the lawn on deck :eek: Many complaints by people on the ship.