Worried about AB cabin on Prisendam

SeaSickCecil

I just booked an AB gty on Prinsendam without doing my due diligence and reading up on these cabins first. I knew she was a smaller, older ship, but am now worried that I have made a very bad and expensive decision.

I went to Halfacts but couldn't find any pix of the rooms. The few cabin reviews have said there are problems with the 200 series aft cabins, but nothing about the port/starboard ones.

Can anyone who has taken this ship give me some good news? :confused:

If it helps I have been on the Eurodam, Oosterdam (twice) and the Nieuw Amersterdam. I always book lowest price veranda and have been happy.

First of all, I have not been in an AB cabin, but I have been on the Prinsendam several times and had table mates that had one. They ended up in "sleep cabin" when some got off before the TA. They had a vibration problem and were not happy.

Water can slash over from the Sea View Pool.

Now, all that being said, I have noticed a few things. The Sea View Pool is not as full to try to avoid that and the captains come into ports later so that you don't notice the vibrations as much.

The thing is with these cabins, they don't have any of the features of the rest of the Prinsendam cabins. They were added to the ship and don't have the walk in closets or wood of the other cabins.

To me, these cabins are not part of the Prinsendam, but on the other hand they are new.

edited to say, we went on the our first Prinsendam with great trepidation as she is not a new ship. We love her.

I have not recommended them on these boards and to this date, I have not heard of the vibration issue being rectified. But, if the captain hovers (wrong word I'm sure) and waits to go into port, the vibration might not be a major issue.

I am only reporting what I have been told and not wanting to be the bearer of bad news, I have long said this is one category I would not book. But, I am a tad fussy.

Edited by kazu

Thank you Kazu. I believe yours was one of the few reviews out there but not the only one not complimentary of this cabin type. I'm not too fussy, but I do like sitting out on my veranda watching the sea go by. I may have to bring my raincoat!

Rachel

Are you in the newer cabins on the aft? Or an original cabin along the side? There's a huge difference.

I was in an A-category cabin on the Prinsendam, near the forward elevator, which I believe is comparable to all the cabins along that deck. I loved it! Nothing really the matter except that I had a full tub instead of a shower only. I would have preferred the shower, as the tubs are so high and difficult to get in/out of.

If your cabin is along a port or starboard passageway, then it won't have the problems the new additions do.

RuthC, thanks for the encouraging words. I had the option of picking one of the AB cabins along the port or starboard sides...all the aft cabins were taken (I guess that was a good thing!), however I opted for a guarantee at the AB level. Now I'm hoping I won't get assigned to an aft if they offer someone else an upgrade. Too bad, I'd read how great aft cabins are on all the other ships from HAL. I'm torn between calling my TA and seeing if she can get me a specific cabin and hoping for the upgrade fairy....

Rachel

Nothing really the matter except that I had a full tub instead of a shower only. I would have preferred the shower, as the tubs are so high and difficult to get in/out of.

RuthC...I agree with you, I prefer the shower only. I believe the AB cabins are shower only and don't have the walk-in closets. I think I can live with that.

I think that all the AB cabins are the added cabins on deck 8, the promenade deck. The vibrations were a regular source of complaint before our cruise in November, 2012. We did not have and AB cabin, but felt and heard the occasional nasty vibrations at the back of the dining room. Sleeping would have been difficult. Prinsendam went into an extensive dry dock to replace her propellers, the propeller shafts, turbines, and thrusters immediately after our cruise and vibration complaints have died down.

I am not a fan of walk in closets, it is inefficient use of space to put an aisle in a closet. I think you will be fine.

Thank you whogo. I was hoping for some comments from people who had been on Pdam recently. The reviews I read were all before the dry dock. Hoping HAL took the complaints about the vibration to heart and fixed that. That, for me, would be annoying as I'm very sensitive to noise when I'm trying to sleep. DH on the other hand can sleep through anything, and does. I'll make sure to pack my earplugs.

Thank you Kazu. I believe yours was one of the few reviews out there but not the only one not complimentary of this cabin type. I'm not too fussy, but I do like sitting out on my veranda watching the sea go by. I may have to bring my raincoat!

Rachel

FWIW, we got off the Prinsendam on October 21, 2014. That was the cruise where I noticed that the sea view pool was not as full. I didn't notice a lot of sloshing over the sides.

FWIW, we got off the Prinsendam on October 21, 2014. That was the cruise where I noticed that the sea view pool was not as full. I didn't notice a lot of sloshing over the sides.

When we were on the TA recently, we had rolling seas and the aft pool was kept empty for several days because the rolling caused the water to spill over and Capt. Roberts wanted to avoid inconvenience to the cabins. There were some passengers who were disappointed that they could not swim :eek: but I'm a Florida-sissy ;) and don't go in water less than 85 degrees!

Had cabin 211 on recent transatlantic crossing, had no problems with our room. We enjoyed being close to everything.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by jim chad

to you Jim Chad and Skippers Mom. This is helpful and makes me feel better. We will be on the Prisendam for 24 days (my longest cruise yet...I'm building up to 30+ day cruises for when I retire). Sounds like if I get what I booked I won't be sorry. (I'll just look out for that 'upgrade' to an aft)

And OTOW...I'm looking at my deck plans and I don't see an A213...I think you are talking about AB213, which was one of the cabins available when I booked just after Thanksgiving and which I've been asking about. So the answers above are relevant to you, too.

I'll be making 3 star on this trip and on my way to 4. HAL is my favorite cruise line and this board has been a big part in that.

Rachel