Is QM2 in state of constant repairs these days?

dancer11

Not long ago I read a posting here that there was scaffolding in the main lobby area, and now someone writes that they are fixing the sink holes as they sail. Is this what they've decided to do rather than dry dock?

While I've been on ships where carpet was changed out on days most passengers were off on excursions, these 2 postings make it sound like the ship is being remodeled while it sails. This is not just the run of the mill touch up painting that always is going on.

I have a cruise booked in 2015, but if the ship is going to look and sound like a construction zone, I think I would rather not sail on QM2 next year.

I have a cruise booked in 2015, but if the ship is going to look and sound like a construction zone, I think I would rather not sail on QM2 next year.

Not to worry, dancer11. We have been on QM2 during two different extensive at sea repairs to the Grand Lobby floor and to the atrium ceiling above it. While they did look a bit like construction zones, albeit small ones, they generated very little noise. But, sadly in both cases, neither the harpist nor the string quartet were able to perform in the Grand Lobby during repairs.

Hi,

I recently did a transatlantic crossing on the QM2 (Nov. 12-19, 2014) and was not inconvenienced by any maintenance projects. A crew was installing new wallpaper in the Queens Room late at night after the room was closed. This was mentioned during the Behind the Scenes Tour. Also, I was in the Queens Room early two different mornings to take photos of the room. I saw the wallpaper crews cleaning up their work area. However, this work was performed very discretely and most passengers probably were not aware that this work was being performed during the crossing. Overall, the ship appeared to be in pretty good shape.

Chuck

One annoyance during my 12 day Canada/New England cruise last month, was the men's room just aft of the Golden Lion Pub....

For the entire cruise, the three urinal's were out of service...only the single toilet operated. At times, the attendant, who had to be stationed there at all times, would remove the barrier to allow their use at peak Pub times, and have to manually pour water to rinse after several uses...

He said that the water line to them caused major leaks, and they would have to tear up the floor to access the cause of the leaks. They were going to keep operating that way until the next drydocking....

One annoyance during my 12 day Canada/New England cruise last month, was the men's room just aft of the Golden Lion Pub....

For the entire cruise, the three urinal's were out of service...only the single toilet operated. At times, the attendant, who had to be stationed there at all times, would remove the barrier to allow their use at peak Pub times, and have to manually pour water to rinse after several uses...

He said that the water line to them caused major leaks, and they would have to tear up the floor to access the cause of the leaks. They were going to keep operating that way until the next drydocking....

I think it's fair to call that a piss poor procedure. Seriously.

I think it's fair to call that a piss poor procedure. Seriously.

More than fair....;)

Felt sorry for that attendant...what a miserable job. It smelled bad, and they always had these portable floor fans trying to ventilate the place.

I spent a lot of time at the Pub, playing team trivia....:)

• 3 weeks later...

Good news that they were working in Queen's room only late at night.

Apalling news of that restroom situation. I can't believe male passengers had to live with that! So an attendant is going to stand by with a bucket of water for another 12 or more months, really!!!!!

Maintenance and repair is almost continual.

While on Fjords & Waterfalls last year, we noted that they were painting the hull every time we docked. On speaking to one of her engineering crew, we were told that this is normal.

We also returned to our (Sheltered Balcony) stateroom one lunchtime to find two Cunard Engineers painting our balcony.

Think of it this way. She is a machine. A Very big and beautiful machine, yes. But a machine nonetheless. Her engines run pretty much constantly which means that even though you can't necessarily feel it, she is constantly vibrating. Even when stationary in port.

While underway, the structure of the ship will constantly flex. This puts strain on her hull, and the components contained within. Particularly things like water and waste water pipes.

So there really is no alternative other than a 24/7 maintenance. Of course, there are jobs which are simply too big and complex to do while she's operational which need to be kept for Dry dock.

I think her engineering crew do a great job under the circumstances.

Not long ago I read a posting here that there was scaffolding in the main lobby area, and now someone writes that they are fixing the sink holes as they sail. Is this what they've decided to do rather than dry dock?

While I've been on ships where carpet was changed out on days most passengers were off on excursions, these 2 postings make it sound like the ship is being remodeled while it sails. This is not just the run of the mill touch up painting that always is going on.

Pretty much all ships in any line are in a constant state of repair. Think of all the usage. I remember our first trip on the QM2. All the furniture in the Chart Room had to get replaced due to the wear & tear from "plus' sized pax. Look at the damage done to the seats in the Planetarium & you get the picture.

On QM2 this week. Normal ongoing maintenance but no scaffolding, torn up carpet, etc. We did feel around for soft spots in the carpet outside Britannia, and found a couple with what felt like extra padding but no craters like before the last refit.