Flights to San Juan

SMN73

I'm not a frequent flyer so I'm asking for a little help please fellow CCers.

Starting to look at flights for our May cruise out of San Juan on Adventure. One leg of the trip (either going or coming) needs to be southwest, as I have a pretty large credit to use up before June. But for the opposite direction, I'm open to suggestions.

What airline typically offers the best rates to/from San Juan? How far in advance is it best to book flights? Is this too early and prices will go down?

Any insight will be appreciated. We would be flying out of Nashville.

Edited by SMN73

We're not having much luck finding an affordable flight that fits our time restraints. Right now it looks Ike we're going to drive six hours to get to an airport that has fares and times that wrk for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're not having much luck finding an affordable flight that fits our time restraints. Right now it looks Ike we're going to drive six hours to get to an airport that has fares and times that wrk for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same situation with us. We will drive 3 1/2 hours to Atlanta to catch a flight as we did last time. Even with parking for the week the price still comes out cheaper than any flight we can get here locally.

I was sure hoping not to have to drive very far to fly. Looks like that can be a standard practice though.

I wish jet blue had a terminal in Nashville. I see so many great flights from them. To be an "international" airport, the choices are very limited here.

Same situation with us. We will drive 3 1/2 hours to Atlanta to catch a flight as we did last time. Even with parking for the week the price still comes out cheaper than any flight we can get here locally.

I don't know what it is about Charlotte but something needs to change. We live near Rochester, NY, our son lives in Charlotte. We like to cruise out of San Juan. We can book a flight from Rochester to San Juan, connecting in Charlotte for $300. Our son can get on the same connecting flight in Charlotte that we're on to San Juan and it costs him $400. He's only flying 2/3 the distance that we are but it's costing him 1/3 more than we pay!

I'm not a frequent flyer so I'm asking for a little help please fellow CCers.

Starting to look at flights for our May cruise out of San Juan on Adventure. One leg of the trip (either going or coming) needs to be southwest, as I have a pretty large credit to use up before June. But for the opposite direction, I'm open to suggestions.

What airline typically offers the best rates to/from San Juan? How far in advance is it best to book flights? Is this too early and prices will go down?

Any insight will be appreciated. We would be flying out of Nashville.

I found Delta to be the best bargain for us. Flying out of Portland Maine. Jet Blue was slightly cheaper but we would be getting in very late compared to delta very early . We booked our Flight back in July for our May cruise and the flight has gone up about 150$ a person as of today. I try not to check the prices too much how since with flights there is nothing we can do :)

We are from the prairies in Canada.

We are sailing out of San Juan in January, I bought my flights in July, and USAir/American Airlines have NOW totally messed with them.

We were flying from Minneapolis to Charlotte.

The changed all the times and we had to change to a flight out of Philly.

BLECK!!!

Anyways, I don't know if its Charlotte or the airline or what but it is super frustrating especially for someone like me who is already driving 8 hours to get an affordable priced flight for my family of 4

Chass

ha! I was booking out san juan on adventure because I also have points 29,000 points thats why I was thinking of flying out of san juan...but had to book carnival for the price difference royal is 2200 total without tips carnival is 1600 without tips and leaves from port Canaveral and ends in san juan so I only have to fly home one way.

I don't know what it is about Charlotte but something needs to change. We live near Rochester, NY, our son lives in Charlotte. We like to cruise out of San Juan. We can book a flight from Rochester to San Juan, connecting in Charlotte for $300. Our son can get on the same connecting flight in Charlotte that we're on to San Juan and it costs him $400. He's only flying 2/3 the distance that we are but it's costing him 1/3 more than we pay!

I know..believe me! Flights out of Charlotte has some of the highest fares in the country and why I don't know!

Unless you are on what I would call a daily core route (say NYC to San Fran, anything between two big cities) it seems like changes are the norm if you book air really far out,

My RT flight from Raleigh to Seattle, and 1 way from Anchorage to Seattle next summer (Alaska cruise) have already changed 4 times (once for the 1 way, 3 times for the RT). This is with 8 months to go.

Even my Raleigh to FLL next month for the Oasis was changed once already, and I booked that in October. At least then I was using ChoiceAir for a promo so Royal rebooked my return flight (it was moved to a time that was too early).

We are sailing out of San Juan in January, I bought my flights in July, and USAir/American Airlines have NOW totally messed with them.

BLECK!!!

Anyways, I don't know if its Charlotte or the airline or what but it is super frustrating especially for someone like me who is already driving 8 hours to get an affordable priced flight for my family of 4

Chass

Edited by JasonV1

We priced everyone via Kayak and direct on their websites for RT RDU-SJU.

By far the best Price was SW to MCO then SW to SJU and return the same way. Plus we get 2 bags each checked free. Would have preferred Delta or AA as I have status on both but neither had as good a flight time and price combo (both were 150-250 more) AND we could (and did) make flight change with no FEES! We were able to get the SJU airport at 9:00 am on the cruise return and had a 3:30 flight but were able to switch to the 11:05 am flight on SW with no change fee ! Just like the old days........

I wish I could find I decent flight out of SLC. Right now, it's been hovering around $700. I would LOVE to only have to pay $400. That's steal. SLC is so expensive to fly out of. It's sad, when your flight cost more than your cruise :( However, I have heard to get the best deals, book 8 weeks out. And you find better deals on the weekend. As the airlines rely on the Business class people to book during the week.

BLECK!!!

Chass

No kidding, I find the rates are slowly getting better in eastern Canada for going to Florida, if rates stay the way they are it wont be worth driving to the usa for flights to Florida. But San Juan I am still saving 1300$ by driving 4 1/2 hours to get a cheap usa flight.

Stick with Southwest, book early prices only go up. We have our choice of United, Delta, AA , and Southwest and Southwest always has the best price and times for us.

For the most part I'm finding this true. Except for the one day I want to fly out (of course!) Right now SW is about $130-$150 pp more expensive to fly on Friday May 8th. I can fly in on Thursday and spend that same money on a hotel room, but I'd rather find a cheaper flight and just save the money all together. I imagine I will use the SW credit on our return flight and use their automatic check in so we don't have to worry about it while on the ship.

Sign up for Airfarewatchdog dot com. You will get discounted airfare alerts in your email to where you are wanting to go. The only thing is that when you get an alert a lot of times there very limited seats at the stated price so you have to be ready to jump on it when you see a fare you like.

I have bought a many arline tickets this way and have caught pretty decent fares. I actually saw some good ones ($284.00 Round Trip) to San Juan from Charlotte back near the begining of the year but it was too far (My cruise is next year) out so I couldn't book. Hopefully I will see those prices at the begining of 2015! :cool:

Sign up for Airfarewatchdog dot com. You will get discounted airfare alerts in your email to where you are wanting to go. The only thing is that when you get an alert a lot of times there very limited seats at the stated price so you have to be ready to jump on it when you see a fare you like.

I have bought a many arline tickets this way and have caught pretty decent fares. I actually saw some good ones ($284.00 Round Trip) to San Juan from Charlotte back near the begining of the year but it was too far (My cruise is next year) out so I couldn't book. Hopefully I will see those prices at the begining of 2015! :cool:

Thank you for this information!!