Legend to Alaska, cabin on starboard side. Was this a good choice?

scmona

On the Empress deck for May 26-June 2nd. Our first balcony cabin (yay). Our cabin is on the starboard side (right), was this a good choice? Thanks

I took a cabin on starboard side Empress deck on the May 18th to May 26th based on the Travel Agents suggestion.

There is scenery on BOTH sides. However- IF you ONLY want viewing in Glacier Bay from your cabin, then starboard is the wrong side. The Port side is necessary since all the glaciers are on that side with the commentary matching up. There is usually no commentary on the way out. Of course, the "best" views in glacier Bay are going to be with moving around the ship. :)

We will be on the Legend for the cruise to Alaska and also on the empress deck on June 16. We picked the starboard side based on reviews read on cc. This will be our first cruise. Can't wait!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 months later...

I always choose port side so these comments make me wonder why starboard is recommended on this cruise. We have a balcony room and I like looking at the ports from the room and usually get good scenery (in Caribbean, Mexico, etc).

We won't miss anything being on port side since you change sides coming in and going out, right?

Thanks for your input...first Alaskan cruise. :)

We had starboard and other family members had port side. Both had absolutely stunning views all week long.

Edited by Tapi

After reading as much as I could, chose Portside. Best idea, however, for us, booking the excursion that takes you up close to the glaciers, Tracy Arm Fjords. Also, I wanted as close to water as possible, so chose deck 4 midship. :)

Both of my Alaska trips were starboard deck 7. If there is something spectacular to see the ship made a 360 so everyone had a good view. Just a funny comment about one of the 2014 trips the cruise director reported that people were complaining the all the wildlife (whales and such) were all on the starboard side. Like Carnival can control that.

Also to the poster that commented they liked port side to see the ports. There is no guarantee which way a ship will dock. I watch the Magic come into Galveston every week and we take bets on if she will turn or not. Sometimes she backs in and sometimes she pull straight in.

Edited by springs741

• 5 weeks later...

I didn't notice one side more favorable on our trip. Our group has one on each side (5 upper), and a wrap around aft - so we should be good on all sides (last time we just moved back and forth between rooms for best views).

In Glacier Bay, lot of folks were up on top desks to get the full panorama, but the ship stops and then turns 360 so no bad views for sure.