Crown Princess and activities for gays

blackbreeze2014

I am used to cruising Carnival. Nightly, it would hold a social hour for members of the lesbian and gay community. Does anyone know if the Crown will doe such a thing?

Thanks.

I think they do....I think I have seen it listed in the patter (daily paper).

They most likely will have a gathering although perhaps not every night. May be listed as FOD, or Friends of Dorothy. We are gay couple and have attended them a few times, but they have been poorly attended. We just tend to integrate ourselves into the mainstream cruise and have always met folks we've enjoyed.

I am used to cruising Carnival. Nightly, it would hold a social hour for members of the lesbian and gay community. Does anyone know if the Crown will doe such a thing?

I'm not sure it's hosted but more of a get together. I attended once with one of our table mates (he was solo on the cruise) and had a good time even though I don't fit the demographic. They didn't throw me out. :) I think it was in Wheelhouse bar and it was a buy-your-own kind of thing. Lasted more than an hour, as I recall.

These days they generally put it in the Princess patters as LGBT get-together. I have sometimes seen it hosted by a crew member, but usually it's not.

If there is only a small group on board it is not unheard of to mutually agree to move the get together to another bar or different time to suit everyone, as some may be on early dining and find 5pm difficult.

We were on the 28 day Hawaii/South Pacific cruise Oct-Nov '14, and they had a posting for it every evening at 5:15pm. It was listed in the Patter at LGBT get together. The first one was hosted (first night believe it or not) but after that it was unhosted and listed as such.

We had our wedding aboard the Crown while it was still in port before we left and had family and friends aboard. The crew could not have been more happy and excited for us. Everyone seemed to know we the wedding couple.

Have fun

We were on the 28 day Hawaii/South Pacific cruise Oct-Nov '14, and they had a posting for it every evening at 5:15pm. It was listed in the Patter at LGBT get together. The first one was hosted (first night believe it or not) but after that it was unhosted and listed as such.

We had our wedding aboard the Crown while it was still in port before we left and had family and friends aboard. The crew could not have been more happy and excited for us. Everyone seemed to know we the wedding couple.

Have fun

Just wanted to say congratulations :D

In my fairly extensive experience there are always LGBT meetings. Almost always daily, usually at a time and place where Princess is most likely to make substantial revenues from the bar tabs. That sometimes means meetings get scheduled in a crowded bar at happy hour where it's difficult to figure out who's there for the meeting and impossible to set up a specific space, more often in a lounge where folks gather around a table or two. Sometimes really well-attended, coupla dozen or more, sometimes not. And like Swiss Dave says, sometimes the group decides to re-schedule.

Princess is very queer friendly. Passengers' attitudes, I think, might vary depending on the length of cruise and, most probably, departure port. (Sorry, Galveston, if I'm stereotyping.) Hubby and I boarded our honeymoon cruise wearing matching "Just Married" T-shirts and felt like the stars of the Royal's maiden trans-Atlantic (same cruise as sfoak was on :) ), getting lots of congrats from pax of all orientations, then celebrated our 1st (and 40th, but who's counting?) anniversary on an Alaskan cruise and were serenaded by the headwaiter and his new husband.

Have you checked out the LGBT board?

Edited by shepp

Congrats! I was on the BVE on your embarkation day and felt so badly for you, your partner and your guests with the delayed embarkation. A pox on the guest(s) doing a B2B who held you up by hiding so they didn't have to disembark and go through Immigration as required by law.

There is usually a posting in the Patter. It often is at 5:30, just when we are having early dining, so we don't go very often. As SwissDave says, on one cruise we (about 18 in number) decided to move from Crooners to the Wheelhouse.

Steve & Pete

Last few cruises that I've been on, the 'LGBT Get Together' has been held in the Wheelhouse at 5:00 nightly. It is not hosted, however the last couple I've been to have had at least a dozen people and the stewards in the Wheelhouse had an area set up for us each night with snacks to go with our drinks.

In my fairly extensive experience there are always LGBT meetings. Almost always daily, usually at a time and place where Princess is most likely to make substantial revenues from the bar tabs. That sometimes means meetings get scheduled in a crowded bar at happy hour where it's difficult to figure out who's there for the meeting and impossible to set up a specific space, more often in a lounge where folks gather around a table or two. Sometimes really well-attended, coupla dozen or more, sometimes not. And like Swiss Dave says, sometimes the group decides to re-schedule.

Princess is very queer friendly. Passengers' attitudes, I think, might vary depending on the length of cruise and, most probably, departure port. (Sorry, Galveston, if I'm stereotyping.) Hubby and I boarded our honeymoon cruise wearing matching "Just Married" T-shirts and felt like the stars of the Royal's maiden trans-Atlantic (same cruise as sfoak was on :) ), getting lots of congrats from pax of all orientations, then celebrated our 1st (and 40th, but who's counting?) anniversary on an Alaskan cruise and were serenaded by the headwaiter and his new husband.

Have you checked out the LGBT board?

All is good when you sail of out Houston on the Emerald. :) The first night had a hosted LGBT mixer that was well attended and every day it was listed in the Patter at either Wheelhouse, Crooners or Explorers. We ended up making several friends and had dinner with them each night.

• 3 weeks later...

I was on the Star last month and the Patters listed a LGBT gathering every evening at 5:00 in the wheelhouse bar. I don't know if it was hosted or not.

Congratulations to the two newly wed couples. May you have many wonderful years ahead of you and a lot of cruising.

Congratulations to the newlyweds! We will be getting married on the way to our next cruise (1 month shy of our 24th anniversary, LOL). I keep going back and forth about whether to list celebrating our honeymoon on the Princess cruise personalizer.

As for LGBT gatherings, some cruises we've skipped them completely. Some we attend one or two. We had one cruise with a huge turnout of all demographics. We all ended up dining together almost every night. My partner and I celebrated our 20th anniversary on that cruise, and the gang managed to get an aft area of the buffet roped off to celebrate. The crew were as excited as the guests, LOL.

We've always been very comfortable with Princess Cruises. I grew up watching The Love Boat, and I'm still watching reruns. So for me, stepping onto a Princess ship is like coming home! :)

Congratulations to the newlyweds! We will be getting married on the way to our next cruise (1 month shy of our 24th anniversary, LOL). I keep going back and forth about whether to list celebrating our honeymoon on the Princess cruise personalizer.

Mazel ton! We got married on the same day as our 39th, and believe me, as you get older it's easier to remember one date than two.

I'd go ahead and list it as your honeymoon. You get that stunning sign on your door, balloons that deflate as the cruise goes on, and the cutest little cake.

My husband and I are (ahem) a few years apart. He's old enough to be my (much) older brother. I admittedly don't look or act my age. People frequently assume a different relationship given that we both have Nordic good looks.

One of my favorite moments in cruising was sitting down to luncheon at a table of eight when this one broad took a look at my magenta Mohawk (Breast Cancer Awareness Month makes my hair do strange things) then look at Jon and say "Kids! What are you going to do?" The look on her face when Jon deadpanned "Husband. But tell me about it."? Worth every penny we paid for that trip.

Mazel ton!

I meant, of course, "mazel tov." Until I realized it was spell-check at work, I figured it was a Freudian slip triggered by just having spent eleven days amongst Cruiser Physiques.

Edited by shepp

We've always been very comfortable with Princess Cruises. I grew up watching The Love Boat, and I'm still watching reruns. So for me, stepping onto a Princess ship is like coming home! :)

Please do list your wedding and honeymoon. You deserve it as does anyone else who is celebrating. Congratulations on your wedding.

I too watched the love boat and dreamed of a cruise. Bon voyage!