Disappointing Cruise...Who can I contact?

NHcruiserguy

Because while you think they "must" make it clear, the have no obligation to do so. What you probably mean to say is "should" make it clear. In the meantime, since it is clear they "don't" make it clear, as an informed consumer, and cruise critic user you can take matters into your own hand, and do a bit of research to avoid the situation.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

There is no way to avoid the situation . :rolleyes:

Sorry... but a first hand account is NOT an opinion. It would stand up in a court of law where an "opinion" would not.

When people talk about "fair and balanced", I would consider Curt to be objective in his posts as well as very informative.

I'm not taking away from that minority of people that will continue to complain and howl about how they were terribly affected by a large group of people with organized events occurring sporadically on a cruise ship.

I was once on a 5-day Millennium cruise just prior to the ship going into dry dock for its "Solsticization". On this specific cruise was a "large" group from Pampered Chef. Apparently this cruise was their "thank you" present to the top sellers for the prior year. I thought the large group was interesting and we actually met some wonderful folks. However, I found all the prep work that was being performed by the ship staff for the dry dock activities to be much more invasive and restrictive and such prohibited me from enjoying that cruise as much as I would have liked to.

Exactly.

And if someone was to post here on CC after their cruise that they were disappointed with how their cruise went because things were disrupted / areas closed off due to the fact the ship was about to go into OR had just come out of dry dock.

Our answer here on CC would be exactly the same as it is here for this cruiser.

"Sorry that your cruise was not what you expected... But the info about the Ship's Scheduled Dry Dock could have been found on the Internet... Even if the Cruise Line did not tell you that it perhaps might effect your sailing"

It is like everything else in life...

Buyer be ware.

Cruise lines are like every other company... They are in the business of making money. Short of something being legislated... They do not have to explain the ins & outs of how that is done or their Customer Base to anyone.

This is part of the great success of the Internet... People exchange this type of behind the scenes info with others. And Cruise Critic / TripAdvisor is the best in the biz when it come to Vacation Planning.

If you blindly purchase a kettle, a toaster or a car you get ONLY the info that the Manufacturer / Seller tells you.

Same thing with a Vacation / Cruise... You can solely rely on the Cruise line / Travel Agent's sales pitch... Or you can do a bit of Googling / Internet investigations on your own.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I, for one, am very grateful to the OP for starting this thread. I will be sure to find out if there are any special interest groups booked for the same cruise as I plan to be on, no matter what the interest is.

Thank you OP and I am sorry that the cruise was not what you was hoped it would be.

We always book a balcony stateroom. If the deck is crowded then we have our private space to read and relax. The cruise line is in it to make money so don't be surprised when this happens. As far as the bar goes we always tip very well so service tends to be excellent in any event. I'd suggest you get your drink then stand, smile and chat and make new friends. :)

Talk about condescending.:rolleyes:

We always book a balcony stateroom. If the deck is crowded then we have our private space to read and relax. The cruise line is in it to make money so don't be surprised when this happens. As far as the bar goes we always tip very well so service tends to be excellent in any event. I'd suggest you get your drink then stand, smile and chat and make new friends. :)

Talk about condescending.:rolleyes:

How was this condescending?

I wouldn't have a problem with a Pied Piper group on board but there are large groups I'd have a problem with. No offense meant, but I'd have a problem on a cruise with a large group of fundamentalist Christians. I think it would be nice if a cruise line notified passengers if there was going to be a group on board who would impact my cruise by shutting down venues, etc.

I wouldn't have a problem with a Pied Piper group on board but there are large groups I'd have a problem with. No offense meant, but I'd have a problem on a cruise with a large group of fundamentalist Christians. I think it would be nice if a cruise line notified passengers if there was going to be a group on board who would impact my cruise by shutting down venues, etc.

Ditto.

The worst large group I've ever read a report about was a cruise which had a collectable doll convention on board. Apparently there were hundreds of children and they brought their dolls to all the meals and used up all the seating in the buffet.

I WAS there and can say how disruptive the group really wasn't.

The group took over the AquaSpa pool one afternoon for 1 hour, from 3 to 4, on a port day, the same day as Liquid Nightlclub, when it would have closed early to prepare for that event. The times were listed in Celebrity Today. I could see how this might be considered disruptive, but it was scheduled on a port day when there would be the least use of the space and the least disruptive to others, and was only a 2 hour time frame.

They also did a private pool/costume party in the evening after the pools were closed. This could not be considered disruptive.

There as a mixer at the pool on sail away, after dark, from 7:30-8:30 that the pool deck was closed and at prime dining time, though in reality anyone was able to gain access. This may be considered disruptive for that 60 minute period of time.

They brought their own entertainers on board and used the theatre after the evening theatre was done, at 11 pm. This also was not disruptive.

They used Quasar one afternoon from 4pm to 7pm, a time of day the venue is normally not open for any activity anyway. Also, not disruptive.

Martini Bar added a side bar to handle the demand for drinks. This is the first time I've ever seen Martini Bar add a side bar, something that could be useful on any cruise in that location especially at pre dinner times, not just for groups. Not only NOT disruptive, but actually quite helpful.

The group never took exclusive control over any bar at any time, a small portion of Sky Lounge was used at embarkation to pass out paperwork, but remained open to all. A singles mixer was also in Sky lunge, but not exclusive, on Monday.

There were fewer people on this ship than typical sailings, with several open cabins, so there was no extra added work or effort required of staff. Bars were full at busy times, empty at non busy times. Just like on any cruise.

So I'd like to hear some specifics about what specifically was disruptive, as opposed to the OP's likely homophobia showing more than anything. It's clear to me with 99% certainty, he's talking about the 11/30 Sillie sailing as he posted he just got off the Sillie and it had a large group of more than 50% on board. Sillie docked Sunday, he posted Monday.

Curt, thanks for posting what the real deal was on the cruise.

Personally we are a straight couple but have had some of the most fun in our 17 cruise when there has been Lgbt grouos onboard. Its happened a few times and we had a blast. Then again i have 2 gay siblings and have zero issues with and totally support their lifestyle.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Forums mobile app

The worst large group I've ever read a report about was a cruise which had a collectable doll convention on board. Apparently there were hundreds of children and they brought their dolls to all the meals and used up all the seating in the buffet.

I think what might be scarier is that these were probably adults with their dolls having their own chairs.

My ex wife's aunt was one of these doll collectors and went on all these cruises and conventions .

She was about a step away from Bette Davis in "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane ?"