Wonderful Copenhagen 2015 edition

I'm planning on getting a Copenhagen card. I'll need two (one for before and one for after the cruise). I emailed them to check and they said that I could buy them ahead of time, pick them up at the airport, and the one for after wouldn't be activated until it's actually used so I can buy both at the same time. Does this sound right?

Hi, Danish Viking,

You helped us so much earlier this year for our stay in Copenhagen, and I wonder if you would mind translating a few words for us? The information is from a sign in the Fanefjord Kirke, which we visited during our stay in Denmark. I don't have the keyboard to put the line thru the o's or the "squished together" AE, and so haven't had any luck trying to get the words translated. I definitely have a general idea of what the sign reads but wonder about a few words.

Thank you, DV!

Best wishes!

The Google translate of the sign reads as follows, and I've bolded the words that haven't translated:

Church ancient temple block. Treasury (see Luke Gospel chap. 21 verse 1-4 ) has worked in Fanefjord Church as MONEY BOX since 1756. Indsamlingsformalet was primarily for the poor of the parish in a time when social authoring support not practiced .

Block original room was right at the entrance to the church , where up to 1999 were still in use , and how the money raised went to the parish children who could use " a helping hand" for Christmas. Repeated burglaries and odelaeggelser production have resulted that the block now aflost a more secured losning!

And just because I don't want to take too much of your time with any questions back and forth, here's what I typed into Google translate, from the picture we took of the sign over the block encased in plastic:

Kirkens gamle tempelblok. Tempelblokken (se lukas-evangeliet kap. 21. vers 1-4) har virket i fanefjord kirke som indsamlingsbosse siden 1756. Indsamlingsformalet var primaert til de fattige i sognet i en tid, hvor social understottelse ikke praktiseredes.

Blokkens oprindelige plads var lige ved indgangen til kirkerummet, hvor den helt op til 1999 stadig var i brug, og hvor de indsamlede midler gik til sogneborn, som kunne bruge "en hjaelpende hand" til jul. Gentagne indbrud og odelaeggelser har medfort, at blokken nu er aflost af en mere sikret losning!

Hi Danish Viking just wanted to thank you for the great information that helped make our day in Copenhagen such fun. We went to Fredriksborg Castle by train and we were hoping to go to Kronborg Cadtle but ran out of time!

Your detailed instructions on trains and bus numbers and their directions made it very easy for us.

However as a warning to other travellers, The Copenhagen card was great for trains and getting into the museums however the Visitors Information at the dock was unable to get the cards processed there meaning we had to spend an extra $10 getting into town to get the card validated. This chewed up an extra hour of our time. Next time I wouldn't preorder the card online if just buy it there.

A lesson learned.

Many thanks once again, Wendy and David, Australia

Hi, Danish Viking,

You helped us so much earlier this year for our stay in Copenhagen, and I wonder if you would mind translating a few words for us? The information is from a sign in the Fanefjord Kirke, which we visited during our stay in Denmark. I don't have the keyboard to put the line thru the o's or the "squished together" AE, and so haven't had any luck trying to get the words translated. I definitely have a general idea of what the sign reads but wonder about a few words.

Thank you, DV!

Best wishes!

The Google translate of the sign reads as follows, and I've bolded the words that haven't translated:

Church ancient temple block. Treasury (see Luke Gospel chap. 21 verse 1-4 ) has worked in Fanefjord Church as MONEY BOX since 1756. Indsamlingsformalet was primarily for the poor of the parish in a time when social authoring support not practiced .

Block original room was right at the entrance to the church , where up to 1999 were still in use , and how the money raised went to the parish children who could use " a helping hand" for Christmas. Repeated burglaries and odelaeggelser production have resulted that the block now aflost a more secured losning!

And just because I don't want to take too much of your time with any questions back and forth, here's what I typed into Google translate, from the picture we took of the sign over the block encased in plastic:

Kirkens gamle tempelblok. Tempelblokken (se lukas-evangeliet kap. 21. vers 1-4) har virket i fanefjord kirke som indsamlingsbosse siden 1756. Indsamlingsformalet var primaert til de fattige i sognet i en tid, hvor social understottelse ikke praktiseredes.

Blokkens oprindelige plads var lige ved indgangen til kirkerummet, hvor den helt op til 1999 stadig var i brug, og hvor de indsamlede midler gik til sogneborn, som kunne bruge "en hjaelpende hand" til jul. Gentagne indbrud og odelaeggelser har medfort, at blokken nu er aflost af en mere sikret losning!

Indsamlingsformålet = the reason of collecting the money or something like that.

Indsamling means funding and formål means purpose.

Ødelæggelser = destructions.

You can write OE instead of Ø

Afløst = replaced

Løsning = solution

So they have used the socalled Tempelblok (whatever that is) as to place the collected money for the perish childrens.

But sometimes after 1999 the tempelblok has been destroyed several times in order to steal the money :(

But a more secure money box (or something like that) has stopped the robbery of their money.

Does anyone know where the entrance to Tivoli Gardens is? Is it just on the one side or are there multiple entrances?

The main entrance faces Vesterbrogade opposite the Axel Torv square.

Another entrance is located opposite the central station.

Indsamlingsformålet = the reason of collecting the money or something like that.

Afløst = replaced

Løsning = solution

So they have used the socalled Tempelblok (whatever that is) as to place the collected money for the perish childrens.

But sometimes after 1999 the tempelblok has been destroyed several times in order to steal the money :(

But a more secure money box (or something like that) has stopped the robbery of their money.

Makes sense. I'm guessing the 'tempelblok' (we call it 'offerblok' in Dutch) is the wooden box for donations (coins) that you can find in many churches.

Afløst = replaced

Løsning = solution

DV, you're just the greatest! And thank you, too, WouterC, for your comments. I got the general gist of the use of the block, but all the extra info is extremely helpful. This was in the church where Mike's 3x great grandparents were married, and we're so grateful for your kindness in translating the information.

Best wishes!

Thank you Danish Viking for your time to help visitors to your wonderful city!! We spent 3 nights in Copenhagen before leaving on a cruise. The valuable information on this site helped us to navigate Copenhagen and gave us the confidence to use the public transportation to get from the airport to our hotel, take the train to Helsingør, and the bus to Visit Carlsberg. Everything in Copenhagen is very walkable. We really enjoyed Copenhagen and hope to return because there is so much more see and do.

Happy birthday Tivoli!

Looking for reccomendations. And most don't show availability for Aug 2016.

Had not heard of trivago before. Thanks

I can give you the names of where I stayed. We stayed near the City Hall Square the first night we were in Copenhagen(2 days one night) We stayed at the Square Hotel(prices vary based on availability-we paid around $230 with breakfast--which was good and plentiful)The Square Hotel was fine the room was adequate and the staff was very helpful. We had also looked at the Scandia Palace which was also centrally located We were looking for places with A/C which were hard to find. We were also very close to Tivoli Gardens and the pedestrian shopping street. This area is very busy with cars, bikes, people but is near to some museums and not far from one of the hoho bus areas. I had friends who also stayed at the SAS Radisson which was not far from there.

We also stayed another day and night on our return at the Wake Up Copenhagen Borgergade. This rooms in this hotel are very modern but very small and pod like. I traveled with a friend so we did not want to share a bed.

So we ended up taking a family room which was 2 rooms with a connecting door. This way we had our own room and bathroom(pod like and not very private-but fine with 2 separate ones)yet our rooms were connecting so we felt more secure. The price ended up being about the same as a shared room in another hotel. This way we had our own space but were in the same vicinity.

The rooms have a/c and free wifi in the rooms. In the modern lobby there was a large room with about 6 free computers to use. Breakfast was extra and was adequate. We liked the area of the hotel as it was not on a busy hectic street, yet it was around the corner from the Rosenborg Castle and gardens, Amalenborg , near a 7-11 and a number of cafes. We also were very close to Nyhaven and the Netto boats. We were also very close to the other end of Strogret (pedestrian street). We felt that this area was a change from the other area and was quite convenient while making you feel you were staying in a "neighborhood" rather than in the center of town. If you wanted to go to Tivoli from here you could walk. The hotel was not far from the Kongens Nytorv St. (Metro)--says 8 min walk. Other hotels had a/c but were further away from things. IT was around 59 F when we there(mid-June), but a number of reviewers on trip advisor complained of places being warm and stuffy.

Superbrugsen on Halmtorvet or Netto on Rådhuspladsen.

Both are in walking distance from the central station.

Thank you for all the amazing info I have received on this post! I am getting so excited to be visiting your lovely city as a starting point to my 26 day cruise next week!

Hello Danish Viking!

I will be staying 3 full days in Copenhagen August 2016. We have been to Copenhagen before and done all the traditional things in Copenhagen so this trip we are only touring in Copenhagen one day. We want to do all touring on our own. On our second day we are going over to Malmo which we are excited to do. My question is can you recommend the best thing we could do outside the city on our own by train, bus or ferry for our third day?

Thank you so much for all the help you give so generously

Linda S.

Hello Danish Viking!

I will be staying 3 full days in Copenhagen August 2016. We have been to Copenhagen before and done all the traditional things in Copenhagen so this trip we are only touring in Copenhagen one day. We want to do all touring on our own. On our second day we are going over to Malmo which we are excited to do. My question is can you recommend the best thing we could do outside the city on our own by train, bus or ferry for our third day?

Linda S.

Thank you for all the amazing info I have received on this post! I am getting so excited to be visiting your lovely city as a starting point to my 26 day cruise next week!

I forgot Irma at Axeltorv 2 just opposite the main Tivoli entrance.

That's is even closer than the other stores I mentioned.

But also at the central station there is a store called kooperativet or something like that that maybe also has wine.

Hello Danish Viking!

Linda S.

Yes I can.

First you take s train line A or B (depends on if its a normal weekday or weekend) to Hillerød.

Then you visit Frederiksborg Palace.

Then you get back to the station in Hillerød, take the Lokaltog train to Helsingør.

You then end up in Helsingør where you can visit Hamlets' castle called Kronborg, if you have the time I would recommend a visit the national maritime museum that is located halfway between the station and Kronborg.

On the way back you just take the Øresundtog train towards Copenhagen.

Yes I can.

First you take s train line A or B (depends on if its a normal weekday or weekend) to Hillerød.

Then you visit Frederiksborg Palace.

Then you get back to the station in Hillerød, take the Lokaltog train to Helsingør.

You then end up in Helsingør where you can visit Hamlets' castle called Kronborg, if you have the time I would recommend a visit the national maritime museum that is located halfway between the station and Kronborg.

On the way back you just take the Øresundtog train towards Copenhagen.

Thank you so much-it looks like a fantastic itinerary.

Is there a bus to take to the castles or do I take a taxi from the train stations.

Linda S.

Edited by dallascruiser