Wonderful Copenhagen 2015 edition

Danish Viking -

Greetings!

Easy question, I hope!

I've seen it mentioned several times that there is a special bus service to the Oceankaj cruise terminal (we're departing on the Serenade in June). My question is does the bus drop you off at the terminal, or down the street? Also, is there a bus schedule posted somewhere for this service? Trying to decide is it is easier to take a taxi or bus - if the bus drops you off away from the terminal, might be easier to take a taxi so we're not lugging luggage.

Any advice?

Great thread, and thank you for the help!

Edited by LT Hambone

There are actually two buses that go to the Oceankaj port--the #27 bus (which is a regularly scheduled Copenhagen city bus) and the #25 bus (which is the special bus which runs only on days when ships are in port). The #27 bus leaves the Osterport station every 30 minutes. (You can find the schedule on http://www.rejseplanen.dk/) The #25 bus leaves on an irregular schedule from the Norreport and Osterport stations, but it's generally around every 30 minutes too.

The bus stop for both buses is at the intersection of "Oceanvej" and "Oceankaj". (If you Google Map "Oceankaj", you can see where this is.) You will have to walk to your ship. Depending on where your ship docks, it will be a short walk or a longer walk. It was not a problem for us with roller bags.

I will say that it was very easy for us to get from our hotel near Nyhavn to our ship at Oceankaj using public transportation. (We took 2 buses with our luggage.) And the cost was only 24 DKK each.

There are actually two buses that go to the Oceankaj port--the #27 bus (which is a regularly scheduled Copenhagen city bus) and the #25 bus (which is the special bus which runs only on days when ships are in port). The #27 bus leaves the Osterport station every 30 minutes. (You can find the schedule on http://www.rejseplanen.dk/) The #25 bus leaves on an irregular schedule from the Norreport and Osterport stations, but it's generally around every 30 minutes too.

The bus stop for both buses is at the intersection of "Oceanvej" and "Oceankaj". (If you Google Map "Oceankaj", you can see where this is.) You will have to walk to your ship. Depending on where your ship docks, it will be a short walk or a longer walk. It was not a problem for us with roller bags.

I will say that it was very easy for us to get from our hotel near Nyhavn to our ship at Oceankaj using public transportation. (We took 2 buses with our luggage.) And the cost was only 24 DKK each.

My hotel is near Nyhavn and will I will be using public transportation to Oceankaj. What is the best way to get to the terminal? Do I walk to Kongens Nytorv Metro (take M1 or M2 line) and then take the bus to the port? How far do I have to walk once I get near the terminal? Do you buy a ticket for each leg?

My hotel is near Nyhavn and will I will be using public transportation to Oceankaj. What is the best way to get to the terminal? Do I walk to Kongens Nytorv Metro (take M1 or M2 line) and then take the bus to the port? How far do I have to walk once I get near the terminal? Do you buy a ticket for each leg?

What we did (and what Rejseplanen recommends) is to take the Bus 26 to Osterport Station and then pick up the Bus 27 to Oceankaj. The Bus 25, which is the special cruise day bus, also picks up from Osterport, so you could take whichever one arrives first. (I don't think it shows up on the Rejseplanen since it does not have a regular schedule.)

We actually picked up the Bus 26 close to our hotel--you might not need to go all the way to Kongens Nytorv station.

You pay just once for the entire ride and the fare for this would be 24DKK. You can buy your ticket from the driver.

Once you get to Oceankaj, you will have to walk to your ship. Our ship was docked about 1 block away from the bus stop, but yours could be further.

Check the Rejseplanen website for details on the route of the Bus 26 and Bus 27. http://www.rejseplanen.dk

HI, DV - I am feeling really stupid right now! We are on Seranade OTS arriving in Copenhagen on May 15, 2016. Since we will be staying in Copenhagen 2 nights before heading home, I ordered 48 hour Copenhagen Cards for my husband and myself and had them mailed to us in the US so that we would not have to hunt them down once we arrived.

When our cards arrived in the mail today, I was alarmed to see the expiration

date of March 31, 2016 - before we even set sail. Apparently I missed some fine print on the website about the cards having an expiration date.

So my question is this - would it be worth my time to contact the people who issue the Copenhagen Card and inquire about a possible exchange for next year's card or am I simply out of luck (admittedly due to my own lack of care in reading everything on the site before ordering.)

Your guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Sue

Sorry to jump in, but are the difference between buses 25, 26 and 27?

Thanks

These are 3 different bus routes in Copenhagen.

The 26 Bus runs through a good portion of Copenhagen (which is why we were able to pick it up near our hotel). If you go to the Rejseplanen website, you should be able to get a list of all the stops the Bus 26 makes. Basically, it runs from Alholm Plads to Osterport and then to Sondre Frihavn making about 34 stops over 50 minutes.

The 27 Bus runs between Osterport and Oceankaj making about 13 stops over about 15 minutes. (You can also find a list of the various stops on the Rejseplanen website.)

The 25 Bus is a special bus that runs only on days that ships are in port. It goes from Norreport to Oceankaj with a stop at Osterport. It does not run on a regular schedule, but is supposed to depart Norreport and Oceankaj every 20-30 minutes from 8am to 4pm. (FWIW, I waited at the Norreport stop for around 45 minutes before a 25 Bus showed up, the last one of the day.)

I hope that answers your question.

Thanks GradUT.

Can we buy a City Pass for public transport right at Oceankaj?

According to the Visit Copenhagen website, the Copenhagen Pass CANNOT be purchased at Oceankaj. (See link below) There is a little metal building at Oceankaj where they sell bus tickets and other items, but they aren't set up for the Copenhagen Pass. But, you don't even need to stop there to get a bus ticket--it's really just easiest to buy your ticket from the driver when you board the bus.

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/transportation/and-cruise-terminals

Edited by GradUT

What we did (and what Rejseplanen recommends) is to take the Bus 26 to Osterport Station and then pick up the Bus 27 to Oceankaj. The Bus 25, which is the special cruise day bus, also picks up from Osterport, so you could take whichever one arrives first. (I don't think it shows up on the Rejseplanen since it does not have a regular schedule.)

We actually picked up the Bus 26 close to our hotel--you might not need to go all the way to Kongens Nytorv station.

You pay just once for the entire ride and the fare for this would be 24DKK. You can buy your ticket from the driver.

Once you get to Oceankaj, you will have to walk to your ship. Our ship was docked about 1 block away from the bus stop, but yours could be further.

Check the Rejseplanen website for details on the route of the Bus 26 and Bus 27. http://www.rejseplanen.dk

Thanks for the information. I looked at the website and this is what I came up with. To take the bus, walk to Kongens Nytorv and take Bus 26 towards Faergeterminal Sondre Frihavn. Change at Sondre Frihavn and take Bus 27 towards Oceankaj. Does this sound right? Can you buy the tickets the day ahead? And if so, where? How easy is it to bring luggage on the bus? Is there a place to store it?

Thanks for the information. I looked at the website and this is what I came up with. To take the bus, walk to Kongens Nytorv and take Bus 26 towards Faergeterminal Sondre Frihavn. Change at Sondre Frihavn and take Bus 27 towards Oceankaj. Does this sound right? Can you buy the tickets the day ahead? And if so, where? How easy is it to bring luggage on the bus? Is there a place to store it?

Here are my notes from our July 2015 visit in Copenhagen:

Take Bus 26 in direction of “Sondre Frihaven” or “Osterport St., Slojfen”. (Departures every 10 minutes on the “3’s”)

Get off at Osterport St, Slofen, the 2nd bus stop at Osterport

Take Bus 27 in direction of “Oceankaj” (Departs at :22 and :52)

Arrive at Oceankaj (about 14 minute ride)

(Note: There is a special Bus 25 that goes to Oceankaj on cruise days. It departs from Osterport Station at Folke Bernadottes Alle approximately every 20 – 30 minutes.)

So, note that the 26 Bus may go all the way to Sondre Frihavn or it may just go to Osterport, but that's OK because you want to get off the bus at Osterport, Slofen.

None of these buses (26 Bus, 27 Bus nor 25 Bus) had racks for luggage, but there are empty places on the bus you can stand with your luggage (if there's not a mom there with a stroller). We only had one carry-on bag each and that worked out fine. I would not want to try it with more (or larger) suitcases.

You don't want to buy a ticket in advance because they are only good for 2 hours. Just buy your ticket from the driver when you board. And you can always ask the driver if you are on the right bus. The drivers speak English and are patient, friendly people.

If you are willing to go through some of the early postings on this thread, you will see that Danish Viking has provided step-by-step instructions (which is where I got the instructions above) with photos. It may take a bit of time to find them but they were very useful to me. (They were probably posted around May 2015)

Edited by GradUT

Here are my notes from our July 2015 visit in Copenhagen:

Take Bus 26 in direction of “Sondre Frihaven” or “Osterport St., Slojfen”. (Departures every 10 minutes on the “3’s”)

Get off at Osterport St, Slofen, the 2nd bus stop at Osterport

Take Bus 27 in direction of “Oceankaj” (Departs at :22 and :52)

Arrive at Oceankaj (about 14 minute ride)

(Note: There is a special Bus 25 that goes to Oceankaj on cruise days. It departs from Osterport Station at Folke Bernadottes Alle approximately every 20 – 30 minutes.)

So, note that the 26 Bus may go all the way to Sondre Frihavn or it may just go to Osterport, but that's OK because you want to get off the bus at Osterport, Slofen.

None of these buses (26 Bus, 27 Bus nor 25 Bus) had racks for luggage, but there are empty places on the bus you can stand with your luggage (if there's not a mom there with a stroller). We only had one carry-on bag each and that worked out fine. I would not want to try it with more (or larger) suitcases.

You don't want to buy a ticket in advance because they are only good for 2 hours. Just buy your ticket from the driver when you board. And you can always ask the driver if you are on the right bus. The drivers speak English and are patient, friendly people.

If you are willing to go through some of the early postings on this thread, you will see that Danish Viking has provided step-by-step instructions (which is where I got the instructions above) with photos. It may take a bit of time to find them but they were very useful to me. (They were probably posted around May 2015)

Thanks. I will look at these bus directions on the map. I will try to find the step by step instructions that Danish Viking wrote. There are a lot of pages to read. We will be traveling each with a large suitcase and carry on bags. You mentioned that you would not do this. Is it too difficult to get the luggage on or is the problem there is no room for them?

Thanks. I will look at these bus directions on the map. I will try to find the step by step instructions that Danish Viking wrote. There are a lot of pages to read. We will be traveling each with a large suitcase and carry on bags. You mentioned that you would not do this. Is it too difficult to get the luggage on or is the problem there is no room for them?
Ye

Yes, that is too much luggage for these buses--especially the 26 Bus that will probably be pretty full already by the time you board at Kongens Nytorv. We squeezed on with one carry-on bag each. I think you could have trouble each hauling a large suitcase AND a carry-on bag up the steps of the bus and I don't know where you could put them.

Dear Grat UT;

Thank you so much, these are the answers I was looking for.

Unfortunately, we don't travel light ( women and their shoes...), We will probably have to take the taxi from Oceankaj to the hotel on Radhuspladsen and from the hotel to the airport. How muh should I expect to pay for these trips?

I saw somewhere that there is a bus 5A which goes right in front of the hotel to the airport, do you know anything about the 5A time table and which direction we should head to if we want to get to the airport on Sunday?

Do you suggest that we get a City Pass for Friday? Saturday will be spent mostly on Stroget and Tivoli so we will be walking and visiting sites near the central Copenhagen.

How much is the City Pass for adult? And 17 y. student?

Can we get the City Pass right at the port?

I saw recommendation for reliable taxi companies in Stockholm (Taxi Stockholm, Taxi Kurir) so is there a taxi comapny I should use in Copenhagen? Is is also a unregulated fare situation in Copenhagen or I should not worry?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I find the best way to enjoy a trip is to plan for all options before hand.

Thank you to you all who are doing a great job helping people like me :-)

City Pass is only transportation in zone 1 to 4 so is it the Copenhagen Card you need.

Anyway, the City Pass costs 80 kroner for 24 hours and 200 kroner for the 72 hour card.

Buy the Citypass ticket or on your phone.

http://www.citypass.dk/en/

The taxi companies are all regulated so it doesn´t matter which one you use.

HI, DV - I am feeling really stupid right now! We are on Seranade OTS arriving in Copenhagen on May 15, 2016. Since we will be staying in Copenhagen 2 nights before heading home, I ordered 48 hour Copenhagen Cards for my husband and myself and had them mailed to us in the US so that we would not have to hunt them down once we arrived.

When our cards arrived in the mail today, I was alarmed to see the expiration

date of March 31, 2016 - before we even set sail. Apparently I missed some fine print on the website about the cards having an expiration date.

So my question is this - would it be worth my time to contact the people who issue the Copenhagen Card and inquire about a possible exchange for next year's card or am I simply out of luck (admittedly due to my own lack of care in reading everything on the site before ordering.)

Your guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Sue

I am pretty sure that they will reissue a new card to you, just contact them by phone or mail.

Our cruise has 3 scenarios involving Copenhagen. Thanks to previous posts 2 should be straightforward, but one is a little involved. Thanks in advance for your help - so here goes:

1. We will be in Copenhagen 7am-4pm on turnaround day docking at Oceankaj. The area we will start exploring first is Christianshavn as this is one area we have not seen on previous visits. So we plan to use Bus 25 to Norreport and then either M1 or M2 metro to Charistianshavn. 24DKK ticket pp. Return to ship via Bus 25 or 27 using Norreport or correct Osterport stop.

2. Now for the trickier part. On Mon May 16 we arrive at Oceankaj at 8pm. We have an overnight before disembarking ship the next morning. With taxi our only option at that time, would we have enough time to get to Tivoli to enjoy seeing it lit up at night. (Years ago we visited Tivoli at night and thought the lights made it feel magical) I am concerned by the time we get off the ship and get to Tivoli that we might not have enough time to make the trip worthwhile before it closes. What is your opinion about that??

So here is where my "out of the box" idea come in. On May 16 we are scheduled to be in Helsingborg from 8am to 6pm before taking the short hop to Copenhagen arriving at 8pm. What do you think of the idea of taking the ferry to Helsingor to visit the Kronburg castle in the morning and then NOT reboard the ship, but just take a train/stog into Copenhagen that afternoon from Helsingor. Then we should have time to visit Tivoli, staying until the lights are on, and then just take a taxi to Oceankaj to reboard the ship. This would give us more time in Tivoli. If this is a good idea, what type of ticket/cost should I get? (I know I would have to get permission from the ship to do this,but I wanted to make sure it was a good idea first)

Also, I could not find the cost of the ferry for foot passengers from Helsingborg to Helsingor on the website.

3. Oceankaj to Airport on May 17 -- our flight schedule allows us to take our time getting there, so we can use Bus 25 to Norreport and then M2 to Lufthavnen. My question is, since we are arriving early for our flight, is there free WIFI at the airport? I could not find any confirmation of this. If we get a bite to eat before boarding plane, do the restaurants at least have free wifi? I have heard that there is very little seating at the airport. Is that correct? After the 29 day cruise, we just wanted to spend sometime catching up on wifi.

Thanks so much for all you have done to help everyone enjoy Copenhagen to the fullest!:)

Edited by floridafolks

Our cruise has 3 scenarios involving Copenhagen. Thanks to previous posts 2 should be straightforward, but one is a little involved. Thanks in advance for your help - so here goes:

1. We will be in Copenhagen 7am-4pm on turnaround day docking at Oceankaj. The area we will start exploring first is Christianshavn as this is one area we have not seen on previous visits. So we plan to use Bus 25 to Norreport and then either M1 or M2 metro to Charistianshavn. 24DKK ticket pp. Return to ship via Bus 25 or 27 using Norreport or correct Osterport stop.

2. Now for the trickier part. On Mon May 16 we arrive at Oceankaj at 8pm. We have an overnight before disembarking ship the next morning. With taxi our only option at that time, would we have enough time to get to Tivoli to enjoy seeing it lit up at night. (Years ago we visited Tivoli at night and thought the lights made it feel magical) I am concerned by the time we get off the ship and get to Tivoli that we might not have enough time to make the trip worthwhile before it closes. What is your opinion about that??

So here is where my "out of the box" idea come in. On May 16 we are scheduled to be in Helsingborg from 8am to 6pm before taking the short hop to Copenhagen arriving at 8pm. What do you think of the idea of taking the ferry to Helsingor to visit the Kronburg castle in the morning and then NOT reboard the ship, but just take a train/stog into Copenhagen that afternoon from Helsingor. Then we should have time to visit Tivoli, staying until the lights are on, and then just take a taxi to Oceankaj to reboard the ship. This would give us more time in Tivoli. If this is a good idea, what type of ticket/cost should I get? (I know I would have to get permission from the ship to do this,but I wanted to make sure it was a good idea first)

Also, I could not find the cost of the ferry for foot passengers from Helsingborg to Helsingor on the website.

3. Oceankaj to Airport on May 17 -- our flight schedule allows us to take our time getting there, so we can use Bus 25 to Norreport and then M2 to Lufthavnen. My question is, since we are arriving early for our flight, is there free WIFI at the airport? I could not find any confirmation of this. If we get a bite to eat before boarding plane, do the restaurants at least have free wifi? I have heard that there is very little seating at the airport. Is that correct? After the 29 day cruise, we just wanted to spend sometime catching up on wifi.

Thanks so much for all you have done to help everyone enjoy Copenhagen to the fullest!:)

1) I have nothing to add to this trip.

2) Tivoli is open until 23:00 so you will only get 1-2 hours in Tivoli.

If you take the train from Helsingør then its very simple.

The train takes 45 minutes and departs roughly every 10th minute. (03, 16, 23 etc)

The price is 108 kroner.

The ferry costs 30 kroner (36 Swedish kroner)

But if you buy a through ticket from Helsingborg to Copenhagen it will only cost 112 swedish kroner (90-95 danish kroner)

Just make sure you buy it at the train station next to the ferry terminal.

3) Yes there is free internet, just log on CPH Hotspot.