Wonderful Copenhagen 2015 edition

Hi,

We are now back from our cruise and would like to thank you very much for your great information.

We were docked in Oceankaj and you sent us a suggestion of #27 bus to visit the mermaid. We followed your suggestion and used your map to find our way to walk arond the area. It all worked a treat. Thank you for all your efforts and time you spent helping us.

You have a beautiful country and we were spoke to lovely friendly people around the area. Had a lovely beer at the little village and saw loads of beautiful things, thanks to you

Thanks from Alene and Paul

Does anyone have experience with bicycle rental in Copenhagen? I see that CityBike has a docking station at Langelinie and thought if the weather was nice it might be a pleasant way to get into town from the ship. Is it hard to get around? Similar to Amsterdam or more laid back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by envirochick

Floflegs,

I can answer one of the questions. We got off the Eurodam on the same day the Regal Princess docked. Both ships offered transfers to downtown near the central railroad station. But what a difference in price, we paid $15 pp, Princess charged $40 pp. This from a Princess traveler to whom we talked at the railroad station.

Seems like last time we paid between $30 - $40 for a taxi to downtown, credit card accepted but ask first.

We have a US issued chip card, never had a problem using it as chip and signature card in Denmark, Norway and various UK ports. And yes, one of our tours took us by the "Bonnie Banks of Loch Lomond."

Floflegs,

I can answer one of the questions. We got off the Eurodam on the same day the Regal Princess docked. Both ships offered transfers to downtown near the central railroad station. But what a difference in price, we paid $15 pp, Princess charged $40 pp. This from a Princess traveler to whom we talked at the railroad station.

Seems like last time we paid between $30 - $40 for a taxi to downtown, credit card accepted but ask first.

We have a US issued chip card, never had a problem using it as chip and signature card in Denmark, Norway and various UK ports. And yes, one of our tours took us by the "Bonnie Banks of Loch Lomond."

Thank you for your information, Anjelika. As far as I know Princess charge $16 return. We. Had intended to use the Hoho bus but a friend who was there on ?Royal Caribbean said it stopped for around 30 mins not long after they started so that is out. I think we will play it by ear.

Have you any suggestions as to what we must see? We have never been to any of the Baltic countries before.

The sun is shining on Loch Lomond today so any visitors from the Royal Princess is seeing it at its best.

Thanks

Flora

Have you any suggestions as to what we must see? We have never been to any of the Baltic countries before.

The sun is shining on Loch Lomond today so any visitors from the Royal Princess is seeing it at its best.

Thanks

Flora

Hi Flora, sorry I don't have any suggestions about Baltic. Our Eurodam cruise went to Scotland, Shetland Isles, Skye, Glasgow and Edinburgh. Hoped to see Nessie, but no luck.

Have a great cruise on Princess, it's our primary cruise line.

Hi Flora, sorry I don't have any suggestions about Baltic. Our Eurodam cruise went to Scotland, Shetland Isles, Skye, Glasgow and Edinburgh. Hoped to see Nessie, but no luck.

Have a great cruise on Princess, it's our primary cruise line.

Sorry to misunderstand. We will have a great time whatever we decide to do.

Who knows we may meetup on a cruise in the future.

Flora

Danish Viking, I have read about taking the train to Germany from Copenhagen and the train crossing by ferry. It sounds very interesting and something we may try on our next visit. Is that something you have done by any chance?

Yes I have done it several times but the latest bulletins says that the service will by end the end of 2016, after that time the train will take the route over Funen and Jutland crossing the Great Belt by tunnel and bridge and Little Belt by bridge.

The reasons are several but the 2 biggest are that Deutche Bahn is terminating the lease of the 13 ICE TD trains because of rising maintenance cost.

Another reason is that the railway will be heavily upgrade until 2024 when kilometer Fehmarn Belt tunnels opens for both road and rail traffic.

This upgrades includes speed upgrades to 200 km/h from 120 and 160 km/h, double tracking south of Vordingborg and electrification so alot of track closures are in store the next years to come.

Danishviking, just wanted to say thanks for your help! We had a great time in your wonderful city. The train to city center was easy, getting around was a piece of cake, and our hotel was wonderful - all items you helped with.

And, as a bonus, we sat almost right behind the queen at the Opera House for a ballet premier.

Thats nice to hear that you had a good time, I´m still missing to see the Queen in person. :D

Dear Danish Viking,

We will be returning to Copenhagen on the Regal Princess on Wednesday, July 29. We have a 1:30 PM flight at CPH. Our plan has been to take a taxi (hopefully a large one, since there are 4 of us with our luggage) directly from the cruise port to the airport.

Recently, I read a few comments that indicated a very long taxi line at the port.

My questions are:

Since the complaints about the taxi line were from people who disembarked around 8:30 AM, if we wait until 10 AM to disembark, should that make for an easier time to get a taxi?

If a taxi does not work out, we would need an alternative way to get to the airport. What would be the best alternative we could use?

Thanks for all of your help as we have been planning this vacation.

Sadie

The longer lines is apparently only when all 3 cruise terminals are in use.

Luckily only Regal is docked at Oceankaj on that day so there shouldn´t be that long lines but I don´t promise anything. :)

Hi, Danish Viking,

We want to add our thanks to you for this incredible forum. We had a fabulous time in Copenhagen and even survived our car-rental and drive to and from the island of Mon (although in retrospect, any further travels of that kind will include a Metro to the airport and the car rental done THERE instead of renting in the middle of the city!). We loved getting out of the city for the day and seeing the beautiful countryside and "the ancestral homeland". Loved our hotel in Nyhavn, right in the middle of everything, walked everywhere, we simply really, REALLY enjoyed your beautiful city. Thank you so much for your help in putting together our pre-cruise travels.

Best wishes!

Fantastic :D

Did you have time to visit the cliffs of Møn, its a fantastic place.

I don´t hope the road construction on the motorway affected your trip to much.

There is so much information here my head is spinning.

We arrive on Caribbean Princess on 4th August.

What is the best way to get to the city centre?

Can we walk or is it better to get transport?

What are the "must see" sights?

Do we need Danish Krones or can we use $ or €s?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Your ship is docked at Langeliniekaj so you can walk to the Nyhavn area in 20 minutes time or take bus 26 that goes past Rosenborg Palace, Amalienborg Palace, Nyhavn, Kongens Nytorv, Holmens Kirke Church, Christiansborg Palace, Nationalmuseet, Glyptoteket, Tivoli etc etc etc.

If you walk you pass The Little Mermain on your way.

Must see´s must be a Canal tour, Tivoli, the national museum and Strøget pedestrian street.

I am so confused :confused:

We will be arriving in Copenhagen on August 9th and staying at the Marriott. On the 10th we will go from the Marriott to the cruise port. On the 19th we will go from the port back to the Marriott and on the 20th we will go from the Marriott to the airport.

We do NOT want to use public transit. My mom is elderly and in a collapsible wheelchair and also travelling with others who will not be able to manage their luggage.

I would like to prebook our transportation. The one quote I have is from Copenhagen Limousine Service. It seems very expensive to me. I am wondering if the quote is reasonable. Please see below:

1. Sunday August 9th - pick up of 12 people plus luggage and one collapsible wheelchair from airport and drop off at Marriott Copenhagen Hotel

DKK. 1360,- + 25% VAT

2. Monday August 10th - pick up of 12 people plus luggage and one collapsible wheelchair from Marriott Copenhagen Hotel and drop off at cruise port (NCL Star)at 11am.

DKK. 1360,-+ 25% VAT

3. Wednesday August 19th - pick up of 12 people plus luggage and one collapsible wheelchair from cruise port (NCL Star) and drop off at Marriott Copenhagen Hotel

DKK. 1360,- + 25% VAT

4. Wednesday August 20th - pick up of 2 people at airport at 9:15am with luggage - and take to Marriott Copenhagen Hotel

DKK. 985,-

5. Thursday August 20th - Pick up of 14 people plus luggage and one collapsible wheelchair from Marriott Copenhagen Hotel at approximately 8am and take to airport

DKK. 1360,- + 25% VAT

I know we are a big group but the price seems high to me.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

That is indeed expensive.

Try these instead.

http://www.limos4copenhagen.com/

http://www.holidaytaxis.com/en/transfers/denmark/copenhagen-airport/

http://limocph.dk/

Yes I have done it several times but the latest bulletins says that the service will by end the end of 2016, after that time the train will take the route over Funen and Jutland crossing the Great Belt by tunnel and bridge and Little Belt by bridge.

The reasons are several but the 2 biggest are that Deutche Bahn is terminating the lease of the 13 ICE TD trains because of rising maintenance cost.

Another reason is that the railway will be heavily upgrade until 2024 when kilometer Fehmarn Belt tunnels opens for both road and rail traffic.

This upgrades includes speed upgrades to 200 km/h from 120 and 160 km/h, double tracking south of Vordingborg and electrification so alot of track closures are in store the next years to come.

Is the train journey very scenic aside from the ferry crossing? My son wants to visit Germany, and I'm debating whether we should spent so much time on a train versus just flying.

Danish Viking, your advice to all of the cruisers has been so helpful to me. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer questions. My family and I are cruising in August out of Copenhagen and I know that I will be less frazzled because of your comprehensive information.

Thats good to hear, just ask if you are wondering about anything.

Danish Viking,

We'll be in Copenhagen for 4 days , Aug. 31 - September 3. On one of those days, we want to spend an entire day at the Open Air Museum, Frilandsmuseet. We aren't planning on renting a car, but we are willing to, if that would be a better way to be able to see and wander around the entire place.

If we don't rent a car, how do we get there? We're staying at the Bethel.

Once there, is it walkable, or should we have a car? Do you recommend a specific car rental agency?

Thanks very much,

Sue

Its very easy

Just take any metro line towards Vanløse and get off at Nørreport.

From here you take S-train line E towards Holte, this train departs every 10th minute.

After 21 minutes you get off at Sorgenfri station and walk to Frilandsmuseet from there.

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Sorgenfri+St./Frilandsmuseet,+Lyngby/@55.7836307,12.4843162,17z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x46524e4fe2db6a9b:0xf7525517b8e7e95!2m2!1d12.4835422!2d55.7812551!1m5!1m1!1s0x46524e5a3783bf53:0x68e373c8e6b4317e!2m2!1d12.4897464!2d55.7851521!3e2

If you rent a car there is a office next to Vesterport station but I cant remember the brand.

Does anyone have experience with bicycle rental in Copenhagen? I see that CityBike has a docking station at Langelinie and thought if the weather was nice it might be a pleasant way to get into town from the ship. Is it hard to get around? Similar to Amsterdam or more laid back?

Its very flat but to be honest the bicycle drivers can get very irritated if one doesn´t follow the flow.

But one simple rule can get you out of trouble.

just keep to your right so the others can pass on your left.

Is the train journey very scenic aside from the ferry crossing? My son wants to visit Germany, and I'm debating whether we should spent so much time on a train versus just flying.

I think it is.

Besides the ferry crossing the train will ride over the large Storestrøms and Fehmarnsund bridges and also a smaller bridge over Guldborgsund strait.

The first part out of Copenhagen until Roskilde is very flat with views of suburbia Copenhagen and industrial estates.

After Roskilde its farmland and forrest and small provinsial towns the rest of the way.

National television Company DR has made real time broadcast of every main railroad in Denmark and here is the trip from Rødby Færge to Copenhagen.

So its without the ferry part and the german side of the railroad but it gives you an idea.

https://www.dr.dk/tv/se/pa-skinner/pa-skinner-roedby-koebenhavn

Edited by Danish viking

Its very flat but to be honest the bicycle drivers can get very irritated if one doesn´t follow the flow.

But one simple rule can get you out of trouble.

just keep to your right so the others can pass on your left.

Thanks Danish Viking. I didn't want to "become a hazard" to others or myself. In cities like Amsterdam it's borderline dangerous (you'll get knocked down or pushed around) for tourists to use bikes to get around. If the lanes are wide and commuters can pass easily, we might try this. We love using bikes for transportation.

The new city bikes are very technologically advanced. The have on board GPS tablets, electric motors and sophisticated locking systems. Sounds like not only a practical form of transport, but also an interesting experience.

Its very easy

Just take any metro line towards Vanløse and get off at Nørreport.

From here you take S-train line E towards Holte, this train departs every 10th minute.

After 21 minutes you get off at Sorgenfri station and walk to Frilandsmuseet from there.

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Sorgenfri+St./Frilandsmuseet,+Lyngby/@55.7836307,12.4843162,17z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x46524e4fe2db6a9b:0xf7525517b8e7e95!2m2!1d12.4835422!2d55.7812551!1m5!1m1!1s0x46524e5a3783bf53:0x68e373c8e6b4317e!2m2!1d12.4897464!2d55.7851521!3e2

If you rent a car there is a office next to Vesterport station but I cant remember the brand.

Danish Viking,

thank you for all your help on this site.

could you also comment on whether we need a car to travel around Frilandsmussert, or is it all walkable?

Sue

Your ship is docked at Langeliniekaj so you can walk to the Nyhavn area in 20 minutes time or take bus 26 that goes past Rosenborg Palace, Amalienborg Palace, Nyhavn, Kongens Nytorv, Holmens Kirke Church, Christiansborg Palace, Nationalmuseet, Glyptoteket, Tivoli etc etc etc.

If you walk you pass The Little Mermain on your way.

Must see´s must be a Canal tour, Tivoli, the national museum and Strøget pedestrian street.

Thank you so much for your help and advice. You're a star! 🌟

Danish Viking,

thank you for all your help on this site.

could you also comment on whether we need a car to travel around Frilandsmussert, or is it all walkable?

Sue

No your car isn't even allowed inside the open air museum, so yes its very walkable.

We were able to schedule 48 hours in CHP before our cruise in September. We arrive @ 1030 and will be staying at the Best Western Hotel City. After researching the City our plan is to purchase the Copenhagen Card at the airport, Metro into the hotel, check in and then hit the streets & canals.

With such a limited amount of time we've narrowed the site seeing list to the items below. Are we being overzealous with our time? Is it even realistic? Initially we were not going to purchase the Copenhagen Card, but after using the savings tool on the website, it is definitely worth the investment for 48 hours. Plus we like the idea of being able to hop on and off public transport without digging into our pockets.

During our first afternoon we want to take the canal tour, climb the Rundetaarn, peek inside the Glyptoteket. and end up at Tivoli for the evening. Day two plans are to climb the Vor Frelsers Kirkes Tarn, tour the Rosenborg Slot and Amalienborgmuseet and the National Museum. And somewhere in there we want to stroll Stroget pedestrian street. We don't have anything planned for the final morning before we head to the ship. We thought we would leave it open for anything we may not get to see. Then head back to the hotel, collect our luggage back at the hotel and head over to the Cruise Shuttle.

Your comments, suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I wholeheartedly recommend the Rosenberg, because you get to take pictures with the crown jewels. The national museum and glyptotek are closer together, so you might want to route that together with glyptotek and Tivoli. Do Tivoli in the evening,because they are the only ones open late.

Edited by tetleytea