Wonderful Copenhagen 2015 edition

Disembarking Norwegian star on Sept 15 2015, would like to take train from Copenhagen to Oslo.

Have checked out different websites, and it seem to be a bit confusing especially on how to buy along with pricing.

Can you offer any advice, would like to arrive late afternoon.

How much time for taxi from dock to Kobenhavn central during morning rush hour.

Staying at Scandic Copenhagen, from the airport which is best Metro or the train, will have only one carry on and a 24 inch suitcase on wheel, will it be an easy walk.

Also where at airport can one obtain some coins for ticket machine.

Thank you Danish Viking for any advice offered. Very gratified to know some one taking time and effort to help travellers with their needs.

Regards, jack

Hi Danish Viking!

A quick question for you- my parents and I will be in Copenhagen on the Celebrity Silhouette on Thursday, August 6th and we're planning to take the Copenhagen Free Walking Tour which departs from Rådhuspladsen at 11:00 am. The ship docks at 10:00 am and I can't for the life of me wrap my head around how to get from the dock (C196 if I'm correct) to Rådhuspladsen. Can you please help us with creating a plan of attack? Thanks so much!

Jessica

Hi Danish Viking!

A quick question for you- my parents and I will be in Copenhagen on the Celebrity Silhouette on Thursday, August 6th and we're planning to take the Copenhagen Free Walking Tour which departs from Rådhuspladsen at 11:00 am. The ship docks at 10:00 am and I can't for the life of me wrap my head around how to get from the dock (C196 if I'm correct) to Rådhuspladsen. Can you please help us with creating a plan of attack? Thanks so much!

Jessica

If you can be at the Indiakaj bus stop in 22 minutes after arrival you can catch bus 26 at 10:22 and be at Rådhuspladsen 10:43.

It take 6 minutes to walk.

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Langeliniekaj+(Midt)/Indiakaj,+Copenhagen/@55.6968004,12.5967347,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x465252dda8e3b789:0x177c1078db48f2c3!2m2!1d12.600197!2d55.698501!1m5!1m1!1s0x465252de6ee8856f:0xeb0e221fb2acd1be!2m2!1d12.597887!2d55.695197

If that plan doesn´t work out you can walk to Østerport station Sløjfen and take the bus from there (only every second bus goes all the way to Indiakaj).

It goes at 10:34 so you have to walk from the pier at around 10:20.

You will then be at Rådhuspladsen at 10:53.

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Langeliniekaj+(Midt)/%C3%98sterport+St.,+Sl%C3%B8jfen,+Copenhagen/@55.6959679,12.5911993,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x465252dda8e3b789:0x177c1078db48f2c3!2m2!1d12.600197!2d55.698501!1m5!1m1!1s0x465252e0509b6503:0x67f1b40f512f1420!2m2!1d12.591225!2d55.693549!3e2

No matter what bus you choose its bus 26 towards Ålholm Plads.

Disembarking Norwegian star on Sept 15 2015, would like to take train from Copenhagen to Oslo.

Have checked out different websites, and it seem to be a bit confusing especially on how to buy along with pricing.

Can you offer any advice, would like to arrive late afternoon.

How much time for taxi from dock to Kobenhavn central during morning rush hour.

Staying at Scandic Copenhagen, from the airport which is best Metro or the train, will have only one carry on and a 24 inch suitcase on wheel, will it be an easy walk.

Also where at airport can one obtain some coins for ticket machine.

Thank you Danish Viking for any advice offered. Very gratified to know some one taking time and effort to help travellers with their needs.

Regards, jack

Its possible to book the ticket on the Swedish railways website SJ.se (you can choose englisg menu on the top righ corner)

When I search for that date I can find a departure with only one change of train.

Departure 13:32 from København H (central station)

Arrival 17:20 at Göteborg C

Departure 17:55 from Göteborg C

Arrival 21:49 at Oslo S

Dear Danish Viking,

I'm amazed by your efforts and informative responses, thank you for being such a wonderful person for us. I'd appreciate if you can assist with another request.

We are traveling to Copenhagen next week for a cruise trip but being on the elderly side and my wife has a bad knee so she cannot walk for too long, I'd be most grateful if I can gather updated information to travel around Copenhagen. I have been going through http://www.rejseplanen.dk for some ideas, and the warning that 24 June is Roskilde Festival with delays/ detours on trains make me somewhat anxious.

1.Arrival in CPH airport on 24 June at around 1310 hours going to Hotel Ansgow. What is an "ICL" (presumably train)? Can they accommodate large suitcases?

2. I notice the ICL runs every hour, is there a better (or more frequent) option (via public transport) to travel from the airport to Hotel Ansgow, which I understand is close to the Central Station? If the only alternative is taxi, how much is it approximately and how long is the journey?

3. We'll need to go to the Oceankaj on 26/6 for Royal Princess. What is your recommendation to travel to Oceankaj from Hotel Ansgow? Taxi from Central Station or will there be special cruise shuttles nearby? How much will that cost? We do have 2 large and 2 small suitcases between us, is it practical to travel by bus?

4. We'll disembark (from Oceankaj) on 7/7 at 0500 hours. Our flight departs at 1455. May I have your recommendation on getting back to the airport, possibly avoiding the morning rush hour?

I do apologize for this prolific list and possibly trivial questions to you. I'm just very anxious to obtain some updated information that can avoid stress for my wife and my blood pressure (we had a bad experience in Italy once, where I ended up carrying 4 suitcases up and down the stairs to cross platforms for interchange!)

Thank you in advance for your kind assistance. I look forward to your response.

Have a good day!

Dear Danish Viking,

I'm amazed by your efforts and informative responses, thank you for being such a wonderful person for us. I'd appreciate if you can assist with another request.

We are traveling to Copenhagen next week for a cruise trip but being on the elderly side and my wife has a bad knee so she cannot walk for too long, I'd be most grateful if I can gather updated information to travel around Copenhagen. I have been going through http://www.rejseplanen.dk for some ideas, and the warning that 24 June is Roskilde Festival with delays/ detours on trains make me somewhat anxious.

1.Arrival in CPH airport on 24 June at around 1310 hours going to Hotel Ansgow. What is an "ICL" (presumably train)? Can they accommodate large suitcases?

2. I notice the ICL runs every hour, is there a better (or more frequent) option (via public transport) to travel from the airport to Hotel Ansgow, which I understand is close to the Central Station? If the only alternative is taxi, how much is it approximately and how long is the journey?

3. We'll need to go to the Oceankaj on 26/6 for Royal Princess. What is your recommendation to travel to Oceankaj from Hotel Ansgow? Taxi from Central Station or will there be special cruise shuttles nearby? How much will that cost? We do have 2 large and 2 small suitcases between us, is it practical to travel by bus?

4. We'll disembark (from Oceankaj) on 7/7 at 0500 hours. Our flight departs at 1455. May I have your recommendation on getting back to the airport, possibly avoiding the morning rush hour?

I do apologize for this prolific list and possibly trivial questions to you. I'm just very anxious to obtain some updated information that can avoid stress for my wife and my blood pressure (we had a bad experience in Italy once, where I ended up carrying 4 suitcases up and down the stairs to cross platforms for interchange!)

Thank you in advance for your kind assistance. I look forward to your response.

Have a good day!

I will be at Roskilde Festival and I now for a fact that it first starts on Saturday the 27th.

But it will only be trains that goes to Roskilde that will be crowded, but they are also very crowded with over 130.000 attending the festival and many people are arriving by train.

1) ICL means Intercity Lyn (Intercity Express) and is a long distance train so its not really suited for short trips.

2) Instead you can take the Øresund train to the central station,it has a low floor carriage for luggage, bicycles etc.

Look for the ØR trains, it also says low floor in the timetable.

A taxi is probably around 250 kroner.

3) You can take the train from the central station to either Nørreport for the 25 bus and Østerport for the 25 and 27 busses.

See here for instructions

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2048740&page=11

4) The morning rush stops after 09:00 so if you travel after that time you should not have any problem.

Only Regal Princess and Eurodam is in port that day so it shouldn´t be that busy out at Oceankaj.

If you can be at the Indiakaj bus stop in 22 minutes after arrival you can catch bus 26 at 10:22 and be at Rådhuspladsen 10:43.

It take 6 minutes to walk.

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Langeliniekaj+(Midt)/Indiakaj,+Copenhagen/@55.6968004,12.5967347,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x465252dda8e3b789:0x177c1078db48f2c3!2m2!1d12.600197!2d55.698501!1m5!1m1!1s0x465252de6ee8856f:0xeb0e221fb2acd1be!2m2!1d12.597887!2d55.695197

If that plan doesn´t work out you can walk to Østerport station Sløjfen and take the bus from there (only every second bus goes all the way to Indiakaj).

It goes at 10:34 so you have to walk from the pier at around 10:20.

You will then be at Rådhuspladsen at 10:53.

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Langeliniekaj+(Midt)/%C3%98sterport+St.,+Sl%C3%B8jfen,+Copenhagen/@55.6959679,12.5911993,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x465252dda8e3b789:0x177c1078db48f2c3!2m2!1d12.600197!2d55.698501!1m5!1m1!1s0x465252e0509b6503:0x67f1b40f512f1420!2m2!1d12.591225!2d55.693549!3e2

No matter what bus you choose its bus 26 towards Ålholm Plads.

Thank you for this! As a follow-up question, what would be the approximate cost of a taxi from Langelinie to Radhuspladsen? I'm wondering if it wouldn't be easier to just jump in a cab and get to the square without having to worry about connections and making it on time.

Thanks!

I will be at Roskilde Festival and I now for a fact that it first starts on Saturday the 27th.

But it will only be trains that goes to Roskilde that will be crowded, but they are also very crowded with over 130.000 attending the festival and many people are arriving by train.

1) ICL means Intercity Lyn (Intercity Express) and is a long distance train so its not really suited for short trips.

2) Instead you can take the Øresund train to the central station,it has a low floor carriage for luggage, bicycles etc.

Look for the ØR trains, it also says low floor in the timetable.

A taxi is probably around 250 kroner.

3) You can take the train from the central station to either Nørreport for the 25 bus and Østerport for the 25 and 27 busses.

See here for instructions

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2048740&page=11

4) The morning rush stops after 09:00 so if you travel after that time you should not have any problem.

Only Regal Princess and Eurodam is in port that day so it shouldn´t be that busy out at Oceankaj.

Thank you for your information.

Another question needs your help

Is there any 24 hours or 48 hours public transportation tickets which we can use in travelling from the airport to our hotel near Central Station and travelling around in the city for 2 days sight-seeing then to the pier.How much will it cost?

Thank you for your assistance.

Have a nice weekend!

i

See: http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/transportation/tickets-prices

If you are just traveling from the airport to your hotel and within Copenhagen, the 24-hour pass for Zones 1- 4 will suffice. It costs 80 DKK.

If you are going further afield (e.g. Roskilde), you will need the All-Zone pass for 130 DKK

Edited by GradUT

All 3 terminals at Oceankaj is in use that day but luckily for you Costa Favolosa will arrive at 08:30 and MSC Sinfonia at 09:00.

As you said yourself your ship arrives at 07:00 so the taxi line and traffic out of the port shouldn't be hectic before the 2 other ship arrives.

Its a Saturday so the traffic in Copenhagen shouldn't be any problem and a taxi will get you out in 30 minutes or so.

You can off course save some money but not time by taking the taxi to Østerport and take the airport train from there.

Danish viking, I think your response to this previous poster (Goldiemom) has me breathing a huge sigh of relief tonight! My DH and I are returning to Copenhagen on Serenade of the Seas at 7:00am on Sunday, August 30th (looks like Oceankaj is the berth), and have a flight to London at 10:50am. We plan on carrying our own luggage off the ship, and grabbing a pre-arranged taxi to the airport.

Do you have a recommended taxi service? I saw Suntransfers.com online and am seriously considering using them unless you have a better recommendation.

Thank you for all your insight, and helping all the world's travelers!

See: http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/transportation/tickets-prices

If you are just traveling from the airport to your hotel and within Copenhagen, the 24-hour pass for Zones 1- 4 will suffice. It costs 80 DKK.

If you are going further afield (e.g. Roskilde), you will need the All-Zone pass for 130 DKK

Thank you for your information.

Another 2 silly questions: Is Kobenhavn H Station=Central Station?and

Do we need a 4 zones ticket if we travel from Kobenhavn H Station to Oceankaj Pier?

Thank you very much for your help.

Edited by cheershongkong
typing mistake

Dear Danish Viking:

Thank you for saving us! I love ur blog!

We arrive Sunday at the airport, 2 adult 3 kids age 4.5.6. We will have luggage for an 11 night Disney cruise leaving in the evening from oceankaj terminal1. What do you recommend? We would like to stash our luggage and see your amazing city for the day before getting on the boat. Should we put it at the airport, take a train to the central station, and then go back to the airport to get it, and then take the 25/27 bus? Should we just put it at the central station even though we have to get it by one? The suitcases are very big ! Please be as detailed as possible about busses and train numbers. Thx!!

Here's my game plan, having done some more research since I last posted.

All done!!!

We leave the airport and go to the central train station. They have lockers and a manned luggage room if needed (costs more, who cares !). We go out and are in the middle of Copenhagen. Hang out for a few hours. Have lunch/Danish/ etc. then at about 13or 14:00 get the luggage and get on a subway for Osterport. Get out, go see the little mermaid and castle. Take pics. Get on the 27 bus for the cruise. Get off at our terminal. Done!

Will that work?

I use the search function but had trouble finding info on this. does anyone know what the guidelines are on tipping for the free walking tours?

thanks, ellen

Here's my game plan, having done some more research since I last posted.

All done!!!

We leave the airport and go to the central train station. They have lockers and a manned luggage room if needed (costs more, who cares !). We go out and are in the middle of Copenhagen. Hang out for a few hours. Have lunch/Danish/ etc. then at about 13or 14:00 get the luggage and get on a subway for Osterport. Get out, go see the little mermaid and castle. Take pics. Get on the 27 bus for the cruise. Get off at our terminal. Done!

Will that work?

I have been busy the last few says so sorry for the late reply.

I think your plan works, but there is no luggage storage at Østerport and I don't think its a good idea to haul your luggage to and from the little mermaid.

I posted a photo guide in the C330 Oceankaj thread on page 11 on how to find the bus at Østerport.

I use the search function but had trouble finding info on this. does anyone know what the guidelines are on tipping for the free walking tours?

thanks, ellen

Tipping is not normal in Denmark but I think that these "free" walking tours depending on the guides getting a tip.

There are no "guidelines" for tipping on the Copenhagen Free Walking Tour. According to their website, " [Y]ou decide how much it was worth to you."

I think that any amount from 35 DKK - 70 DKK (about $5 - 10) per person would be a good tip provided you think you got a good tour.

We just returned from our Baltic cruise with Disney. We spent 2 nights before in Copenhagen. Just wanted to thank Danish Viking for all the help with this wonderful trip. We loved Copenhagen and getting around with the public transportation was so easy. We had purchased the Copenhagen Card before we left home and this made our touring seamless.

Danish viking, I think your response to this previous poster (Goldiemom) has me breathing a huge sigh of relief tonight! My DH and I are returning to Copenhagen on Serenade of the Seas at 7:00am on Sunday, August 30th (looks like Oceankaj is the berth), and have a flight to London at 10:50am. We plan on carrying our own luggage off the ship, and grabbing a pre-arranged taxi to the airport.

Do you have a recommended taxi service? I saw Suntransfers.com online and am seriously considering using them unless you have a better recommendation.

Thank you for all your insight, and helping all the world's travelers!

Dear Danish viking,

Please excuse my repost. I am anxious to book my post cruise transportation, and wanted to make sure you saw my question.

With gratitude,

Lisa