Wonderful Copenhagen 2015 edition

Hi Danish Viking,

we're leaving for Copenhagen in 3 weeks and we have some more questions. We arrive in Copenhagen Friday 14 August and our ship leaves on Saturday 15 August.

Transport

There's a lot of information about this, and a lot of changes that happened. But the way I understand it:

- From Airport: we can take the train from Copenhagen Airport to Kobenhavn H, looks like it should take about 20-30 minutes.

- To the hotel (Helgolandsgade): according to Google maps, it should be a 5-minute walk. So we'll probably walk.

- From the hotel to the cruise terminal (Saturday 15/08): we could take bus 26 from Trommesalen to bus stop Østerport St, then change to bus 27 which will take us to Oceankaj. Our terminal is C331, I guess that means 'Terminal 1'.

Can we bring our luggage (2 travel suitcases) in these buses?

- Cruise terminal to the airport: we're probably taking a taxi to the airport here. Should cost about 45-50 euro according to various websites.

- Paying for transport: I'm guessing a 24-hour Pass for zones 1-4 would be all we would need. We're planning on renting bikes from the hotel, so I'm not sure if we're going to use the train, metro or bus a lot.

Tivoli and Copenhagen card

Copenhagen card: I was thinking about getting this card, but since we decided not to do lots of museums this trip, I doubt it would be good value for us.

Tivoli is a 'must' for us (wife is a bit lover of theme parks).

Even then, it seems a lot cheaper to just get a 24-hour transport card and pay for entrance to Tivoli separately.

Tivoli

The admission price is just the price for admission to the park, but without any rides. I don't think I saw anything like a 'day ticket', only something called 'Multi-ride ticket', but that seems more like a 'year pass': http://www.tivoli.dk/en/shop/entre+og+turpas/turpas/turpas+2015+standard/

The Tivoli website was confusing to me, I couldn't find the best way to pay for the rides.

Admission price is more expensive during summer on Fridays after 20PM (probably because of the concerts), but if we enter before this time and stay for the concert, do we pay the 'normal' price?

For someone new, how much time would they typically spend at Tivoli when walking around and going on a couple of rides?

Swimming

We love to swim. On the Visit Copenhagen website, I read that there are a couple of 'outdoor' swimming areas.

Also read about an indoor pool near the station, perhaps nice for a rainy day: http://www.dgi-byen.com/the_swim_centre/

Do you have experience with any of these spots?

WouterC,

I can answer some of your questions about transportation in Copenhagen. I read this entire thread before I went and, having just got back, I now have a good idea of how it all works for cruise passengers.

1. Can we bring our luggage (two travel suitcases) in these buses? --Yes, we took our luggage, similar to yours, on the #26 and #27 buses.

2. Cruise terminal to the airport: we're probably taking a taxi to the airport here. Should cost about 45-50 euro according to various websites.--Unfortunately, that's incorrect. See post #505 in which Danish Viking advises that the cost of a taxi between the airport and Oceankaj cruise terminal is 500-600 DKK. We took the #25 bus from Oceankaj to Norreport and then took the M2 Metro directly to the airport. From the time we got off the ship until we dropped off our bags at SAS in the airport was 1 hour. It couldn't have been easier and it cost us only 36 DKK each.

3. Paying for transport: I'm guessing a 24-hour Pass for zones 1-4 would be all we would need. We're planning on renting bikes from the hotel, so I'm not sure if we're going to use the train, metro or bus a lot.--You could do that, but if you only end up using the train from the airport to Kobenhavn H (36 DKK) and the bus from the city center to Oceankaj (24 DKK), you will have spent an extra 20 DKK by buying the 24-hour ticket for 80 DKK. The 24-hour ticket only pays for itself if you take an additional 2-zone ride.

Edited by GradUT

WouterC,

Re: the taxi fare between Oceankaj and the airport. The post #505 to which I referred was quoting a fare for 4 people who needed a large van or two taxis. Your fare for two people would be less--more in the neighborhood of 350 - 400 DKK.

Sorry for any confusion. I tried to edit it as soon as I saw my error, but I had computer problems.

Hello Danish Viking,

Thank you for providing such great assistance to those of us who are traveling to your wonderful city.

We are spending three days in Copenhagen in late August prior to embarking on the Serenade of the Seas for a transatlantic cruise.We have purchased the Copenhagen Card and have tried to map out an itinerary for the pre-cruise days. *

We arrive on Thursday, August 27 in the early afternoon. We are planning to take the train to our hotel, the Radisson Blu Royal from the airport. I understand it is a short walk from the train station to the hotel. Is that correct? Also, it is the train, as opposed to the metro, that we should take, yes?

We plan to orient ourselves that afternoon, perhaps heading to Stroget and walking around, (is that walking distance from our hotel?) and then heading to Tivoli Gardens at nighttime.*

On Friday, we hope to take the train to Elsinore and visiting Kronberg Slot. Which of the following sites below would be logistically best to visit afterward, and which should we plan on visiting on Saturday? Later that day, we hope to take a canal tour offered with the Copenhagen Card also. (*Fredricksborg Castle, St. Olaf and St. Mary's Churches,*Carlsberg Brewery and Glypotek Museum, National Gallery (Statens), Amaleinborg Palace, Little Mermaid Statue, Hans C. Anderson Museum).*

We plan on getting a taxi to take us to the cruise port. Should we arrange for a pick up in advance, or should we just ask to hotel to arrange a ride for us on the day of the cruise?

Any advice regarding this potential itinerary?.

@WouterC

GradUT has been excellent in answering most of your questions so I will return with the last couple of questions in a few days.

@ BillNY

I will also look into your questions in a few days.

Just a few quick ones.

Yes its the Øresundtog or Intercity train to København H you need to take so no metro, its track 2 as trains for Sweden goes from track 1.

Yes the hotel is located very close to both København H and Strøget.

But but but Sank Olufs and Sankt Mary's church is not something I recall being located in Copenhagen is these names correct?

[quote=Danish viking;

But but but Sank Olufs and Sankt Mary's church is not something I recall being located in Copenhagen is these names correct?

Hi Danish Viking,

Thank you for clarifying the train information and proximity questions.

I see now that St. Mary and St. Olaf churches are in Helsingor, not Copenhagen.

Sorry for the confusion, but I guess that partly answers my other question as to which day to visit these sites :).

Yes, thank you Danish Viking.

And also thank you GradUT for answering the questions about transport back to the airport.

Seems like I was wrong about the bus in my post, on Saturday when we're leaving port the schedule is a little different. I found that out from Google Maps:

Google Maps bus schedule

You can actually look it up the timetables there. At the bottom there are three lines that says "Schedule Explorer", if you click that you can actually pick the date and see the times, stops and transfers.

@WouterC

GradUT has been excellent in answering most of your questions so I will return with the last couple of questions in a few days.

/snip/

Edited by WouterC

Just checking that I am right with my transport information. Arriving Copenhagen airport, going to Hotel Kong Arthur (catch the metro to Norreport and walk for 10 mins). Cruise departs from Oceankaj on a Wednesday. Catch train to Osterport and then bus 26 from Osterport Slofen busstop or cruise shuttle or is there a direct bus stop near Norreport metro that goes direct to Oceankaj bus 26 without having to catch the train. Thanks Danish Viking in advance of your help.

Just checking that I am right with my transport information. Arriving Copenhagen airport, going to Hotel Kong Arthur (catch the metro to Norreport and walk for 10 mins). Cruise departs from Oceankaj on a Wednesday. Catch train to Osterport and then bus 26 from Osterport Slofen busstop or cruise shuttle or is there a direct bus stop near Norreport metro that goes direct to Oceankaj bus 26 without having to catch the train. Thanks Danish Viking in advance of your help.

Bus 26 doesn´t go out to Oceankaj, only 25 and 27.

But since your hotel is located near Nørreport its easier for you to catch bus 25 from there.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/Timetable%20Resources/25-0025-080515-r.pdf

Hi Danish Viking,

we're leaving for Copenhagen in 3 weeks and we have some more questions. We arrive in Copenhagen Friday 14 August and our ship leaves on Saturday 15 August.

Transport

There's a lot of information about this, and a lot of changes that happened. But the way I understand it:

- From Airport: we can take the train from Copenhagen Airport to Kobenhavn H, looks like it should take about 20-30 minutes.

- To the hotel (Helgolandsgade): according to Google maps, it should be a 5-minute walk. So we'll probably walk.

- From the hotel to the cruise terminal (Saturday 15/08): we could take bus 26 from Trommesalen to bus stop Østerport St, then change to bus 27 which will take us to Oceankaj. Our terminal is C331, I guess that means 'Terminal 1'.

Can we bring our luggage (2 travel suitcases) in these buses?

- Cruise terminal to the airport: we're probably taking a taxi to the airport here. Should cost about 45-50 euro according to various websites.

- Paying for transport: I'm guessing a 24-hour Pass for zones 1-4 would be all we would need. We're planning on renting bikes from the hotel, so I'm not sure if we're going to use the train, metro or bus a lot.

Tivoli and Copenhagen card

Copenhagen card: I was thinking about getting this card, but since we decided not to do lots of museums this trip, I doubt it would be good value for us.

Tivoli is a 'must' for us (wife is a bit lover of theme parks).

Even then, it seems a lot cheaper to just get a 24-hour transport card and pay for entrance to Tivoli separately.

Tivoli

The admission price is just the price for admission to the park, but without any rides. I don't think I saw anything like a 'day ticket', only something called 'Multi-ride ticket', but that seems more like a 'year pass': http://www.tivoli.dk/en/shop/entre+og+turpas/turpas/turpas+2015+standard/

The Tivoli website was confusing to me, I couldn't find the best way to pay for the rides.

Admission price is more expensive during summer on Fridays after 20PM (probably because of the concerts), but if we enter before this time and stay for the concert, do we pay the 'normal' price?

For someone new, how much time would they typically spend at Tivoli when walking around and going on a couple of rides?

Swimming

We love to swim. On the Visit Copenhagen website, I read that there are a couple of 'outdoor' swimming areas.

Also read about an indoor pool near the station, perhaps nice for a rainy day: http://www.dgi-byen.com/the_swim_centre/

Do you have experience with any of these spots?

So time for the questions that GradUT didn´t answer.

Trains between the airport and København H (central station) departs at 02, 14, 22, 34, 42, 54 past the hour and the trip takes 14 minutes.

Yes Helgolandsgade is very close to the central station.

Yes bus 26 from Trommesalen, both the Østerport bus and the Færgeterminal Søndre Frihavn bus will do.

Use the Østerport station stop for bus 25 and the Østerport station, Sløjfen bus stop for bus 27.

The turpas in Tivoli is what you will call a Multiride ticket, it gives you unlimited access to all rides for one day.

Yes you can stay at the park and see the concerts with the regular ticket, the higher price is just to get people to arrive earlier at Tivoli.

I can spend many many hours in Tivoli and I´m not a daredevil so its only my friends that try all the rides but I´m having a good time myself.

I have never tried the public pools but they look cozy.

Hello Danish Viking,

Thank you for providing such great assistance to those of us who are traveling to your wonderful city.

We are spending three days in Copenhagen in late August prior to embarking on the Serenade of the Seas for a transatlantic cruise.We have purchased the Copenhagen Card and have tried to map out an itinerary for the pre-cruise days. *

We arrive on Thursday, August 27 in the early afternoon. We are planning to take the train to our hotel, the Radisson Blu Royal from the airport. I understand it is a short walk from the train station to the hotel. Is that correct? Also, it is the train, as opposed to the metro, that we should take, yes?

We plan to orient ourselves that afternoon, perhaps heading to Stroget and walking around, (is that walking distance from our hotel?) and then heading to Tivoli Gardens at nighttime.*

On Friday, we hope to take the train to Elsinore and visiting Kronberg Slot. Which of the following sites below would be logistically best to visit afterward, and which should we plan on visiting on Saturday? Later that day, we hope to take a canal tour offered with the Copenhagen Card also. (*Fredricksborg Castle, St. Olaf and St. Mary's Churches,*Carlsberg Brewery and Glypotek Museum, National Gallery (Statens), Amaleinborg Palace, Little Mermaid Statue, Hans C. Anderson Museum).*

We plan on getting a taxi to take us to the cruise port. Should we arrange for a pick up in advance, or should we just ask to hotel to arrange a ride for us on the day of the cruise?

Any advice regarding this potential itinerary?.

As we have talked about earlier you can couple together the churches and Kronborg Castle.

Frederiksborg Palace is nearby and is possible to visit on a train trip combined with Kronborg but it will be an all day activity.

It is possible to visit both Amalienborg, the little mermaid, Statens Museum for Kunst and Glyptoteket on a day if you use bus 26.

HC Andersens museum is located in Odense 1,5 hour west of Copenhagen in Odense.

Did I miss anything?

When you have found out what you want to see I can post maps train schedules etc.

Oh my god you are awesome, thanks for your help and link to pictures of bus stops. It is now idiot proof. Danish Viking now you just need to post a picture of yourself so if all of us on cruise critic see you we can shout you a beer. Kind regards and thanks for all your help

That Maritime museum right next to Kronberg is the best we have seen. We did that Art Museum that was like 3 train stops south of Kronberg. It's a bit of a walk, but they have a special exhibit right now, about how Denmark is revitalizing Africa through the arts, and improving people's lives. Definitely the most underrated Copenhagen attraction we saw that day.

Thank you so much for your answers! :)

One thing I'm still not sure of: For Tivoli, do I need an admission ticket and a multi-ride ticket, or is the multi-ride ticket also your entry ticket?

So time for the questions that GradUT didn´t answer.

Trains between the airport and København H (central station) departs at 02, 14, 22, 34, 42, 54 past the hour and the trip takes 14 minutes.

Yes Helgolandsgade is very close to the central station.

Yes bus 26 from Trommesalen, both the Østerport bus and the Færgeterminal Søndre Frihavn bus will do.

Use the Østerport station stop for bus 25 and the Østerport station, Sløjfen bus stop for bus 27.

The turpas in Tivoli is what you will call a Multiride ticket, it gives you unlimited access to all rides for one day.

Yes you can stay at the park and see the concerts with the regular ticket, the higher price is just to get people to arrive earlier at Tivoli.

I can spend many many hours in Tivoli and I´m not a daredevil so its only my friends that try all the rides but I´m having a good time myself.

I have never tried the public pools but they look cozy.

Edited by WouterC

That Maritime museum right next to Kronberg is the best we have seen. We did that Art Museum that was like 3 train stops south of Kronberg. It's a bit of a walk, but they have a special exhibit right now, about how Denmark is revitalizing Africa through the arts, and improving people's lives. Definitely the most underrated Copenhagen attraction we saw that day.

That is 2 great places to visit.

If anyones is interesting its the Museet For Søfart in Helsingør and the arts museum in Humlebæk its the Louisiana Museum of Modern Art

Oh my god you are awesome, thanks for your help and link to pictures of bus stops. It is now idiot proof. Danish Viking now you just need to post a picture of yourself so if all of us on cruise critic see you we can shout you a beer. Kind regards and thanks for all your help

I think you need to get more than this. Like making it a paying job!

Unreal how much time you and Grad UT have spent answering questions. I feel bad for all the time you have spent that I hate to even ask you a question.... but now that you have free time HA!... I might!

I've been mapping out our routes using the Rejseplanen site. I need to go from Tivoli Hotel to Oceankaj. It says I'll have to take S-train C, then walk to Bus 26, and then transfer to Bus 27. Is there a better way to get there than this? This seems complicated. I don't mind a bit of walking to get to a more straight forward path.

Its probably the connection at Østerport where it wants you to take bus 26, I don't know why it what's that.

Instead you just walk to the opposite end of the platform, walk up the stairs and turn right.

At the end off the bridge you will find by 27.

Else you can look at page 11 in the C330 oceankaj thread.