CARIBBEAN PRINCESS - Thoughts & Observations

eroller

We have never felt the need to bribe Stewart. He/she has always been more then happy to adjust the sleeping arrangements or whatever else we have needed any way to make us more comfortable.

Thanks for saying this. I know these folks work hard, but I don't think I should have to bribe/incentivise the steward in order to sleep well on my vacation.

• 2 weeks later...

We are on this ship Jan 26, a real last minute decision, but the price was too good to pass up. Should we ask for an egg crate for our bed when we arrive? We sleep on a wonderful memory foam at home.

We cruised the exact same week this year, on the Constellation, and absolutely loved it in every way; I hope Princess meets our expectations. This is only our 2nd cruise.

We are on this ship Jan 26, a real last minute decision, but the price was too good to pass up. Should we ask for an egg crate for our bed when we arrive? We sleep on a wonderful memory foam at home.

We cruised the exact same week this year, on the Constellation, and absolutely loved it in every way; I hope Princess meets our expectations. This is only our 2nd cruise.

Like I said before, you can try and put in a request through your TA or Princess, but many times its still not there when you arrive.

Just ask Stewart once onboard, they are really good about trying to make bad mattress's bearable.

I have always called Princess prior to and requested an egg crate topper. It would show up on our personalizer soon after. Only once was it not on our mattress and the room steward had it AND the top sheet in place before lights out that night!

Like I said before, you can try and put in a request through your TA or Princess, but many times its still not there when you arrive.

Just ask Stewart once onboard, they are really good about trying to make bad mattress's bearable.

I know they are great about helping out with egg crates but it is time Princess does something about the terrible bedding.

Our first RCI cruise in October the bed was wonderful and then in November it was so bad even once it had a egg crate after the first night it was bad - backache every morning does not make for a relaxing vacation :(

Hi Kim and welcome aboard. Be sure to join our roll call in cruise critic. The most recent review of the Caribbean Princess talks about a bad mattress. I am making this a top priority when we board on 1/26.

My last cruise was on Constellation as well, loved that ship. I anticipate loving this one as well.

• 1 month later...

Wow! After reading this thread, I'm really nervous about our upcoming Caribbean Princess cruise.

We could have booked the Regal again but really didn't want to. We sailed on the Regal this past December 2014 and there were several things we didn't like on that ship. Very bad flow on different decks. Very few public places to sit and enjoy an ocean view.

And, how in the world do you guys get your steward to give you all the extras talked about in this thread? On the Regal, I asked our guy for extra small face cloths (I like to wash my face with a clean cloth during the day) and he never brought extras. I spoke to him a second time and he said Princess has a shortage of the small face cloths!! I explained the reason for my request but he never brought me any extras. Hard to image asking for and getting egg crates, special pillows, top sheets, etc.!

What is the fax # to make my requests?

Wow! After reading this thread, I'm really nervous about our upcoming Caribbean Princess cruise.

We could have booked the Regal again but really didn't want to. We sailed on the Regal this past December 2014 and there were several things we didn't like on that ship. Very bad flow on different decks. Very few public places to sit and enjoy an ocean view.

And, how in the world do you guys get your steward to give you all the extras talked about in this thread? On the Regal, I asked our guy for extra small face cloths (I like to wash my face with a clean cloth during the day) and he never brought extras. I spoke to him a second time and he said Princess has a shortage of the small face cloths!! I explained the reason for my request but he never brought me any extras. Hard to image asking for and getting egg crates, special pillows, top sheets, etc.!

I only asked for the egg crate the second morning and had no problem getting it. I never ask for extra sheets or pillows etc.

I read a blog and they are on CB and talked about the shortage of face cloths and that she was going to buy some at Ross on turnaround day if they didn't get but it seems they are now but not sure about other cabins. Maybe take a couple extra if you go thru a few a day :)

In general we were disappointed--this was our first on princess and 25th overall.

We had a full suite on Dolphin deck--a family suite.

issues with getting to Sanctuary-we were on the ship at noon after waiting in a line for more than 1 hour to get on the ship--unheard of on any other cruise we have been on.

Sanctuary was all filled--by the 600 people who took the back to back cruise--they got priority. no priority for suites.

Chairs by the pool were all in need help. the best chairs were by the movie screen with cushions, but if you went there in the morning you were subject to the blasting of a repetitive show by the cruise director, for 2 hours or more--There was never an officer around to ask him to turn down the volume, or put some music on instead. One would say move your seat, but then you would have the most uncomfortable seats from 1960.

Food in the buffet was most repetitive, and they handed out hot plates so you can put your cold salad on a hot plate--no one is thinking!! butter melted instantly.

If you wanted a spoon you needed to hunt for one, as they set the table with knife and fork only--again no thought! On a plus, they did have waiter serving drinks, although the ice machines were always in disrepair.

The Crown grill, which the first post said was great, we found the opposite. steak and lamb chops tough-couldn't eat it. We did complain, never a though about not charging us.

in contrast ate in Sabatini 2x --that was excellent.

Also ate at chefs table , very well done--

Internet service was horrible.

But we were away and weather was great, ports fine, but Princess is not for us, after sailing on the Haven in NCL or AQ on Celebrity, which we much prefer.

But if you don't try it you dont know!!!

Starting to worry as well since I will been the CB in September. Guess I'll have to follow the reviews more closely to see what cruisers are experiencing. I will obviously go in with an open mind, but I'm still a little concerned.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

Hi

My husband and I were on the Caribbean Princess last September and didn't encounter any problems.

We were on the ship for the good rate and enjoyed ourselves-9 days. We slept well without the extra egg crate covers and always had towels/washcloths in our bathroom.

As for the food, we might have eaten in the main dining room once and the rest of the time we went to the Horizon Court. No big issues.

We found Bert Stratton in Crooners and that was my entertainment for the rest of the week in the evenings. We did go to one show, I think.

Mainly our cruise was for the ride, and it was a return to her after 10 years so it was like going home. Yes, some of the seat covers were old or soiled but we found others and it didn't make our cruise less enjoyable.

The biggest issue I had was that there was water on the floor on the lido deck after it rained... no big deal. After I got over the forgotten "coziness" of the piazza/atrium after being on the Royal in 2013, I was fine.... Of course, in 2004, it was wonderful-a new ship!

Take care and enjoy yourselves.. I understand that the wet carpet and sewage problems were unacceptable...I wouldn't like it, myself. However, I think that overall, the Caribbean Princess is a fine ship. (and it was the first ship that offered MUTS!)

Lynne

We were also on CB last Sept. Awesome trip! Great staff, excellent service, good food, and comfy sleep :)

Only downside was we wished they keep at least one bar open later in the night after the disco closed.

Edited by jb456

I guess you are lucky to have gotten a wash cloth. YellowFish is doing her blog and they just got on the CB. NO wash cloths for days. Can you believe it. They were out...that was the excuse. Never thought I would have to pack wash cloths! Really...How were people cleaning up???? We were supposed to spend 30 days on CB in Jan-Feb and am glad we had to cancel. It was meant to be.

You were far too sweet. Our cabin on the Grand was flooded and I stepped into raw sewage barefoot one morning at 6:30. To say I raised Cain would be an understatement and the staff on the Grand did not handle our plight well at all. After hours of waiting in our bathrobes in the passageway they finally moved us to a new cabin, as there was no way I was staying in the old one. Long story short, they gave us a credit of $180 while on board, which I considered insufficient considering the health issue and the loss of a day in Ireland. So I went to corporate upon our return and they came up with another $600 or so, which I think was fair compensation. A year or so later while again on the Grand, we nervously heard lots of gurgling from the toilet, fortunately with no eruption. We, too, had been told someone had tossed a washcloth down the john. Can anyone in his right mind be that stupid? I think the plumbing on the Grand class is very suspect.

Tell me, please, what cabin were you in?

We've been on the Grand before and had problems with the toilet, like a slow leak which was enough to wet the rugs, etc. I now bring bathroom rug to go in front of the sink and the toilet, as I almost fell in the bathroom not expecting it to be slippery and wet. They cleaned it up and cleaned my rugs too and had them back that day, but it kept doing it. Finally they fixed it. We got no compensation at all. Then the toilets were not flushing almost every day. This was a pain. My husband would tell the room steward that he left him a deposit! He said he was getting a lot of them these days.

As for the beds, they are the worst on Princess. My husband had to have epidermal shots after 30 days on the ship. Princess is the only like we have had problems with beds being bad. I wish they would get together with the air mattress companys and put their card in the room; it would be great advertisement for those companies.

We were in a suite too. Last year on the Emerald for 30 days our toilet overflowed into the room...thank God my husband was on the balcony and caught it...what would have happened if we decided to go into port!

Edited by mellon1

CARIBBEAN PRINCESS - Thoughts & Observations

December 4, 2014

4-day Cruise - Ft. Lauderdale; at sea; Grand Cayman; at sea; Ft. Lauderdale

Pictures Link:

I just disembarked today and overall this was a very enjoyable cruise at a great value. I would do it again in a heartbeat. It was relaxing and the weather was fantastic. There was only one port which was Grand Cayman. We took the Turtle Farm/Hell/Tortuga Rum tour and it was worthwhile and well organized. The Turtle Farm was the highlight without question. If you like turtles, go for it!

I'm Elite status with Princess but I cruise on all the lines. My last cruise was the maiden crossing of QUANTUM OF THE SEAS which was pretty incredible. Of course I didn't expect CARIBBEAN PRINCESS to live up to that, but I was disappointed in certain aspects of the Princess experience that seem to have deteriorated over the years. Specifically the condition of CARIBBEAN PRINCESS which is overdue for a dry dock and some TLC; the cuisine which was really bland for the most part; and the increasing commercialization of the Princess product which honestly was more in-your-face compared to my last Carnival cruise. I'm all for cruise lines making money and the need to generate onboard revenue in light of cheap cruise fares, but there has to be a balance. Too much pressure to generate onboard revenue cheapens the overall experience.

Again overall I really enjoyed myself and it was money well spent. Here are some highlights about the ship and experience.

What I loved:

- Embarkation & Disembarkation. Piece of cake and absolutely painless. Well organized and no waiting. We opted for Express Walk-off and were off the ship and catching a taxi by 7:40am.

- Super fast luggage delivery. Our luggage arrived at the cabin at the same time we did! Impressive especially considering that we headed directly to the cabin upon boarding.

- Princess@Sea App. I really enjoyed using this relatively new feature on my iPhone. You can view all the daily activities and also check your shipboard account. Technically it's not an App, but it works like one. I included a few screen shots of it in my pictures link.

- Staff and crew. Overall fantastic and a credit to the ship and Princess Cruises. Lots of smiles and engagement.

- Elite Benefits. This was my first cruise as Elite status and I enjoyed the upgraded status and most of the benefits. The one benefit I was most looking forward to didn't quite work out. I'll explain more in the "what I didn't love" section to follow.

- Tendering. Super smooth operation and no waiting. Nicely organized Princess!

- Shore Excursion. As stated above a well put together tour and nicely organized. There was plenty of time afterwards to enjoy some shopping or lunch. I felt it was worth what I paid for it.

- Weather. Could not have been better. Sunny, breezy, not too hot or humid but warm enough daily to swim and work on that tan.

- Deck Space. I was reminded of a main reason why I enjoy the Grand Class so much. There is an abundance of great deck space and a variety of pools. Plenty of space to spread out and no problems finding deck chairs.

- Layout. The overall layout of the Grand Class just works. Spaces flow nicely into one another and overall there is little crowding. The three stair towers and amount of elevators handle the passenger load with ease.

- Balcony. The was my first time in a Caribe Deck balcony cabin. I head the balconies were larger but I had no idea just how much! I loved, loved, loved the balcony and it was one of the best I've ever had. First of all it was huge and second it was partially exposed to the sun and partially covered providing a private area. The best of both worlds. I highly recommend a Caribe Deck balcony cabin!

- Cabin Location, design & quietness. We were in C310. The location was fantastic being very close to the forward stairtower but far enough away there was no noise. Although the cabin lacks a sitting area like most ships offer, I love the closet and bathroom arrangement. It's basically a walk-in closet when you exit the bathroom which also provides a great private changing area out of view from the rest of the cabin. This is a perfect arrangement if traveling with a friend. Something simple but one I appreciate is a real fitted sheet. I tend to move around when I sleep and I hate when a flat sheet is used over the mattress as often times I end up pulling it apart by morning.

- Crown Grill. This was the highlight of our dining experience onboard. Great quality, service, and presentation. Highly recommended and worth the $25 cover charge.

- Air Conditioning. It works well on CARIBBEAN PRINCESS. I can't say the same about all ships. The thermostat in the cabin could get the room as warm or as cold as you could possible want.

- Aft Terrace Pool. An aft pool is hard to come by on most modern newbuilds. The Grand Class has one of the best aft pools and surrounding deck afloat and it was my favorite area of the ship to spend an afternoon. Quiet, adults only, and a view to die for! What more could you ask for?

- Bow View. Another great feature of the Grand Class is a full wrap-around Promenade Deck and the ability to walk all the way forward to the bow of the ship. Leaning over and watching the ship plow through the ocean is absolutely mesmerizing. There are very few ships where this is possible so be sure to take advantage!

- Steel Drummer. So many cruise lines seem to be getting away from live bands especially a steel drum player/singer by the pool. I'm happy to say this is not the case on CARIBBEAN PRINCESS. I really enjoyed the Steel Drummer both out on deck and in the atrium.

What I didn't love:

- Ship's Condition. A drydock is hopefully scheduled soon as the ship is showing its age with plenty of wear and tear. Things like dirty and frayed fabrics, old style plastic deck chairs that are dirty and falling apart, carpets that are worn and faded, and pool tiles that are stained and cracked. I expect better from Princess in this regard.

- Cabin Condition. Along the same lines as my last comment. Stained, worn, and faded carpet. Old mattresses with big sags. Really dented ceilings and a chair so dirty and worn I didn't want to sit in it. Not a great presentation and again this is not what I expect from Princess.

- Cuisine. In a word, unmemorable. Nothing really stood out as being great and memorable except for the dinner we paid for in Crown Grill. Honestly I remember the cuisine being better on Princess. Nothing was bad mind you, but nothing was really great either.

- Too Commercial. I touched on this in my opening comments. I felt the push for onboard revenue was excessive. The revenue producing announcements throughout the day, the flyers in the cabin, the shop tables around the atrium, the art auctions, the "bazaar" in the dining room, etc. etc. I know all mass-market ships have a need for onboard revenue, but it was just a bit over the top and somewhat cheapened the experience. I didn't experience this level of revenue pushing on a recent Carnival cruise and that is where I would expect it most.

- Elite Mini-bar. My dreams were smashed when I discovered my Elite mini-bar setup did not include rum and there was no way to exchange anything for it. I'm a rum drinker so the free mini-bar was wasted on me except for sodas. Why not have rum on a Caribbean cruise? The two go hand in hand don't they?

- Buffet. This was the only area of the ship which was crowded. There wasn't a problem finding seats it was the actual food service area. It was like a free for all and not well organized. Honestly it was too small to handle the amount of people. I don't remember it being so small and crowded on other Princess cruises but perhaps I have just forgotten? This is one area that is really superior on the newest ships like QUANTUM OF THE SEAS and ROYAL PRINCESS.

- Production Show. We only went to one, Caribbean Caliente. The show itself was fine, but honestly it was rehashed from a show I remember on Princess some 20 years ago! I had to laugh a bit about that one. The show seems rather dated especially when compared to some of the competition. None the less it was enjoyable if only for nostalgic sake!

If I'm not mistaken didn't she just have a dry dock in 2014?:confused: Also for those of you that are worried, how many times have your views of a place differed from someone elses? We have never had a bad experience on a Princess ship, we have been on the Crown twice, the Emerald once and now we will be sailing the Caribbean Princess. I am not worried. No matter what I know that Princess is a much better cruise experience than Carnival and I take everyone's reviews with a grain of salt. We all have our own way of seeing things. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and your experience it what you make of it.

Edited by LadyPandora407
updated after reading additional comments

I guess you are lucky to have gotten a wash cloth. YellowFish is doing her blog and they just got on the CB. NO wash cloths for days. Can you believe it. They were out...that was the excuse. Never thought I would have to pack wash cloths! Really...How were people cleaning up???? We were supposed to spend 30 days on CB in Jan-Feb and am glad we had to cancel. It was meant to be.

NO wash cloths!?! That is unbelievable!

Do you have a link to YellowFish's blog?

NO wash cloths!?! That is unbelievable!

Do you have a link to YellowFish's blog?

This is it. You will love her blog. She is very informative and fun. You can look at different segments. They spent a lot of time on the Emerald.

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com

Their cruise started out not good on CB but now they are having a lot of fun.

I agree, washcloths are unacceptable to not have in the room.

This is it. You will love her blog. She is very informative and fun. You can look at different segments. They spent a lot of time on the Emerald.

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com

Their cruise started out not good on CB but now they are having a lot of fun.

I agree, washcloths are unacceptable to not have in the room.

Thanks so much for the link! :)

Thanks so much for the link! :)

Happy to help out. Some other fellow CC member gave it to me awhile back. Many people view her blog. They go from October through April on the ships. Best blog I have seen. CC should give her an award!

Another thought I just had. Someone said about bringing your own wash cloths (?!) and I have also read that some people bring their own egg crates. This is crazy. I'm already lugging my own shampoo, power strips, fan, etc., etc. We're not camping, we're spending major dollars on this cruise! The same as we did in December on the Regal where the steward wouldn't bring extra wash cloths.

I told my husband there is NO WAY I am bringing my own wash cloths!

A minute later I said, well, I could get some from the Dollar Store. :eek: :p

Another thought I just had. Someone said about bringing your own wash cloths (?!) and I have also read that some people bring their own egg crates. This is crazy. I'm already lugging my own shampoo, power strips, fan, etc., etc. We're not camping, we're spending major dollars on this cruise! The same as we did in December on the Regal where the steward wouldn't bring extra wash cloths.

I told my husband there is NO WAY I am bringing my own wash cloths!

A minute later I said, well, I could get some from the Dollar Store. :eek: :p

AHHAHHAHAH You sound like me. I would bring the kitchen sink if I could my husband says. I think I will start to bring 4 cheapies just in case and leave them behind. I don't think the suites would have a problem not getting their wash cloths though, as you have different towels, but maybe. Never know. That was the first I heard of running out of cloths.

Well done Caribbean Princess!

Sail Date: January 2015

Destination: Western Caribbean

Embarkation: Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades)

Everything we expected, Caribbean Princess delivered. Embarkation was smooth and friendly. We found all public areas to be fine and clean. Did a couple of items need attention? Of course but nothing was grossly neglected. We found the ship to be clean and tidy. There was maintenance being conducted in many areas of the ship. The condition of our interior cabin C721 was fine. Everything in the cabin was clean and we had no shower liner issues. In fact it appeared to be new. Could the grout need a bleaching? Yes, but there was no mold whatsoever, anywhere. Our steward was prompt and unobtrusive. Mind that we are not demanding people and allowed him to do his job uninterrupted. And a fine job he did. The fitness center was adequate and also well maintained.

Entertainment: Overall it was abundant throughout the ship, however only being a five day cruise the main theater shows were not much to write about. The Sun Down Duo in the Wheelhouse Lounge were very good and we enjoyed them each night before dinner. Food: we all should know this is very subjective and for us we found the main dining room selections to be good and most everything we ordered was fine and tasty. Horizon Court and Café Caribe were also fine, good selections, foods that were supposed to be hot were hot and colds were cold. International Café also delivered good foods. We enjoyed the selections of coffee items. The coffee card was a very good purchase.

Service: Overall was very good. Did we occasionally run across some staff that were aloof? Yes, but by no means was this the majority. Our waiters/waitresses everywhere were just fine but then again we were not looking for the staff to become our best friends. We leave them alone and let them do their jobs and nine times out of ten they were on top of it.

Shore Excursions: N/A. We did our own thing. Value: We got what we paid for.

Overall: This being our first Princess experience we found the product to be everything it is advertised to be for the value we expected. We enjoyed the Princess product very much and made deposits for future cruises which we didn't do on our last Holland America cruise. Just sayin'. Less 

Published 02/15/15

Port and Shore Excursions

Costa Maya

A lovely, quaint and friendly fishing port. Take a taxi all the way you can go (to the fishing pier) and walk along the fanciful walkway along the beach with all it's restaurants, bars and shops.

Cozumel

Rented a car and drove the island. Coconuts should not be missed. Get there before Noon for a cliff-side table. Guacamole is outstanding and the beers cold!

Starting to worry as well since I will been the CB in September. Guess I'll have to follow the reviews more closely to see what cruisers are experiencing. I will obviously go in with an open mind, but I'm still a little concerned.....:):):)

Bob

Bob, you are a well-traveled cruiser and usually stay in a suite. We are not fans of Regal Royal either, knew we didn't want to go on because of the aft suite situation and noncovered balconies. So CB was are only option for Caribbean. Thank goodness we canceled. You will probably get a good feel from YellowFish's blog which I am sure you read. They are on now.

Well done Caribbean Princess!

Sail Date: January 2015

Destination: Western Caribbean

Embarkation: Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades)

Everything we expected, Caribbean Princess delivered. Embarkation was smooth and friendly. We found all public areas to be fine and clean. Did a couple of items need attention? Of course but nothing was grossly neglected. We found the ship to be clean and tidy. There was maintenance being conducted in many areas of the ship. The condition of our interior cabin C721 was fine. Everything in the cabin was clean and we had no shower liner issues. In fact it appeared to be new. Could the grout need a bleaching? Yes, but there was no mold whatsoever, anywhere. Our steward was prompt and unobtrusive. Mind that we are not demanding people and allowed him to do his job uninterrupted. And a fine job he did. The fitness center was adequate and also well maintained.

Entertainment: Overall it was abundant throughout the ship, however only being a five day cruise the main theater shows were not much to write about. The Sun Down Duo in the Wheelhouse Lounge were very good and we enjoyed them each night before dinner. Food: we all should know this is very subjective and for us we found the main dining room selections to be good and most everything we ordered was fine and tasty. Horizon Court and Café Caribe were also fine, good selections, foods that were supposed to be hot were hot and colds were cold. International Café also delivered good foods. We enjoyed the selections of coffee items. The coffee card was a very good purchase.

Service: Overall was very good. Did we occasionally run across some staff that were aloof? Yes, but by no means was this the majority. Our waiters/waitresses everywhere were just fine but then again we were not looking for the staff to become our best friends. We leave them alone and let them do their jobs and nine times out of ten they were on top of it.

Shore Excursions: N/A. We did our own thing. Value: We got what we paid for.

Overall: This being our first Princess experience we found the product to be everything it is advertised to be for the value we expected. We enjoyed the Princess product very much and made deposits for future cruises which we didn't do on our last Holland America cruise. Just sayin'. Less 

Published 02/15/15

Port and Shore Excursions

Costa Maya

A lovely, quaint and friendly fishing port. Take a taxi all the way you can go (to the fishing pier) and walk along the fanciful walkway along the beach with all it's restaurants, bars and shops.

Cozumel

Rented a car and drove the island. Coconuts should not be missed. Get there before Noon for a cliff-side table. Guacamole is outstanding and the beers cold!

Great review! :)