Cancellation past due date question

omc329

Ok, I know I can call NCL, just not quite ready to go there yet and figure the answers vary by the person on the other end anyway. So, here goes for those that have btdt.

Dh found out they won't schedule the surgery for his torn rotator cuff from his fall from the OCtober cruise, until less than 3 weeks before our next cruise. They won't approve travel for 4-6 weeks after surgery, and postponing further isn't wise as it is already effecting his heart condition from lack of sleep.

We are now beyond final payment due date. We did purchase insurance, I can look into that if it comes to it, but looking for other options than total cancellation as this is a group cruise with family.

THe big questions, IF I can find someone to replace dh, WILL NCL allow the name change at this late date? IF I decide to go it alone, am I out just half the cruise fare itself?

Suggestions I haven' t thought of?

Dh can't make it, we're past final payment date. Can probably get CAS to pay penalty and cancel, or find a way to go without him. THoughts? (and be kind PLEASE!)

Insurance was purchased in August, before the accident on the Dawn occurred. So you are saying that CAS would cover his half of the room if we called and filed? That wouldn't be bad, (aside from leaving dh all alone. :( *sigh*)

HOLD ON - SOME ANSWERS COULD BE RIGHT - BUT NOT THIS TIME.

If the cabin is booked via CAS at a big discount due to the husbands play, all bets are off. Remember, they do deals for players with the expectation that the PLAYER will come back and donate.

Without more detailed information, it is hard to answer the question correctly.

(but, many will anyways)

Dh can't make it, we're past final payment date. Can probably get CAS to pay penalty and cancel, or find a way to go without him. THoughts? (and be kind PLEASE!)

So, this cruise was booked through CAS? Is he the player or are you? If you're the player than call them as it's YOU that want on board. If he's the player...then it's HIM they want on board and that might be a huge problem.

Harriet

Edit: Forget this. First I see someone else already suggested the same thing I did above and second, I see you didn't mean CAS.

Edited by hpecorari

We are past final payment and into penalty phase. We will call CSA and see if we can get just his portion of the room covered. I guess the question there would be if they just cover the penalty and not the $700. *shrug*

When it rains it pours, and it feels as though it has been raining on us forever and a day. Dh has been in constant pain and surgeries since that whirlpool accident back in October. I'm honestly afraid to call CSA and ask. I don't want to know if one more thing is going to go bad on us. :( I need to stop the procrastination and get it over with.

*sigh*

Be careful around those whirlpools folks!!!!!

All the time you have posting questions on this board, you should have been on the telephone to your Insurers and advising them of a impending claim. It is no use just discussing it, advise them accordingly before the Insurers state you are hiding information from them

We are past final payment and into penalty phase. We will call CSA and see if we can get just his portion of the room covered. I guess the question there would be if they just cover the penalty and not the $700. *shrug*

When it rains it pours, and it feels as though it has been raining on us forever and a day. Dh has been in constant pain and surgeries since that whirlpool accident back in October. I'm honestly afraid to call CSA and ask. I don't want to know if one more thing is going to go bad on us. :( I need to stop the procrastination and get it over with.

*sigh*

Be careful around those whirlpools folks!!!!!

For what it's worth, how far into penalty phase are you? 25%? Deposit?

Just because you're past final payment doesn't mean you're at 100% loss immediately.

Other option (maybe?) is not cancel him yet, wait & see if they can do surgery earlier (cancellations?) allowing recovery time...and if not then cancel him.

But then again, none of us know the terms of your insurance, nor when you booked it.

All the time you have posting questions on this board, you should have been on the telephone to your Insurers and advising them of a impending claim. It is no use just discussing it, advise them accordingly before the Insurers state you are hiding information from them

Maybe I am slow (been told that), but what is being "hidden" here?

And, insurers only act on ACTUAL FACTS, not maybe, could have, should have situations.

I think the OP is smart to understand what works and what doesn't. After all,she may have some options, but once she goes down one path with the insurance company, it may be all over. And, I am not suggesting anything wrong, just sometimes there are more than one way to handle things. One way is bad, the other is better.

Thanks for the feedback folks. I did call CSA. IF it is a considered a covered situation, and the gal "thinks" it is but cannot confirm, ONLY claims can confirm, they would pay both the penalty and any difference in cruise fare. The question then remains whether they will actually consider it covered, or come up with a flimsy excuse to get out of it.

If they cover it, I should cancel asap. If they will refuse the claim on some bogus charge, I need either to find someone to replace dh, or wait until we sail to avoid the extra penalty above and beyond the room difference. (I don't get that part on NCL's part, but have read in the past of folks saying they get charged both the room difference AND the penalty.)

I don't know, did anyone ever report back if they were charged the penalty on the noshow? Or just charged the regular room rate they booked at?

At any rate, CSA is sending the forms to fill out. In the meantime I will first look to see if I can find a replacement, as that would be the surest solution. Unfortunately, everyone I can think of is already booked on the cruise.

Thanks again for the feedback.

To answer your question about switching people...Yes NCL will allow you to remove 1 person and add someone else as long as one of the original people are still in the room.

Best of luck, please let us know how it all turns out

Thanks for that info. Off topic, but if I can get appropriate reimbursement, considering another last minute cruise to Alaska in the spring for dh. That last one was terrific! :)