Britannia name

leonardofan

Does anybody understand the reasoning behind giving the name of Cunard's first ship to a P&O ship??? Cunard lives on it's traditions and this seems like shooting themselves in the foot... (I know they're the same company now, but their advertising goes out of its way to make it seem unique...):eek:

You're wrong. P&O have had two other ships with the same name. Here's a quote from their website '‘Britannia’ has a historical resonance for P&O Cruises, as two previous ships connected to the company have held this prestigious name. The first entered service in 1835 for the General Steam Navigation Company (which later became The Peninsular Steam Navigation Company) whilst the second entered service in 1887 to mark the Golden Jubilee of both Queen Victoria and P&O itself.'

I always thought it was a Cunard name.

Then more recently Britannia was used as the name for the last royal yacht.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

RMS Britannia was indeed a Cunarder, launched in 1840.

I think I'm right in saying that Cunard had a bit of a tradition of naming ships ending in the letters ia. I'm no expert on the subject however.

P&O had magnificent Jubilee ships which were completed in 1887-88 to mark the Jubille of Queen Victoria and P&Os founding and the ships were named Victoria, Britannia, Oceana and Arcadia. Victoria and Britannia were built in Greenock in 1887 and Oceana and Arcadia were built in Belfast in 1888 by the Harland and Wolff's shipyard.

Edited by majortom10