Just back from Grandeur (9 Dec) - Any questions?

mdgary

Is this ship enjoyable to teenagers?

Our son loves meeting kids, but he also likes having "him" time, such as running the track, going to the gym, etc. He enjoys the traveling aspect of cruising much more than the ship aspect. But with the 3 sea days, and the other competition being the Carnival Pride, I want to make sure he'll be fine. He will love any ship, but will this be a good choice?

What are the shows like, we really like the playlist productions on Carnival.

MDR food?? :confused:

We just live 25 minutes from the dock and had our son drop us off. On a previous Carnival cruise we did drive and park at the pier and it's very convenient and only $15 a day.

As for the entertainment we enjoyed most of the entertainers brought onboard. We only saw one of the prduction shows and wasn't that impressed with it.

We really enjoyed the piano player in ths Schooner lounge. He is a Aussie named Anthony Michael and does a great job every night.

As for this ship for teenagers it might not be the best fit. My wife and I are 53/54 and we felt like the young kids on the ship. Maybe it was just this cruise but there were a lot of older cruisers onboard. There were very few teens onboard and the ship was fully booked.

Food in the main dining room was good but nothing spectacular. The best meal was on the last formal night which has lobster or prime rib. We would recommend trying Chops if you get a chance.

Hope this helps.

Just returned from 10 night Westen Carib on Grandeur and if any questions please ask. Great cruise with the exception on one bad weather day.

I am glad you enjoyed the Grandeur. Here are some questions:

What did you like best?

What did you like least?

Did you purchase the drink package? And if NOT, what were drink prices like?

Did you stop at Labadee? What did you do there?

Do you have any of the daily Cruise Compass that you could post? I have not been on a Royal Caribbean Cruise in decades and would like to see what activities are available on sea days for our 10 day cruise in January.

Thank you for you help!

JimandToni

What did you like best?

What did you like least?

Do you have any of the daily Cruise Compass that you could post? I have not been on a Royal Caribbean Cruise in decades and would like to see what activities are available on sea days for our 10 day cruise in January.

Thank you for you help!

JimandToni

I have never been on Grandeur, but I have been on cruises where Mitch Merucci is the CD and I believe he is the CD on Grandeur. He has always done a good job with arranging the activities on board, and has been creative when a sea day has to replace a port stop.....let's face it, it happens. As the CD he also serves as MC for activities and does a good job, without trying to be 'the show himself'. He is all about the cruisers and helping them have a good time.

Hi mdgary,

I noticed In some recent reviews of the Grandeur that people had problems with the plumbing on the ship -- toilets not working and pipes breaking. Did you have any such problems? I know it is one of RCI's oldest ships.

Sheila

Hi mdgary,

I noticed In some recent reviews of the Grandeur that people had problems with the plumbing on the ship -- toilets not working and pipes breaking. Did you have any such problems? I know it is one of RCI's oldest ships.

Sheila

I can't speak for the Grandeur, but my cabin toilet on the Explorer broke at least 5 times in three days on our recent cruise. They told us that someone on our sanitary line was flushing things that shouldn't be flushed and everyone on the line stops working. They actually said they found socks and towels. At one point, they told my wife that they figured out which cabin that it was and that they would be "fined". (Can they do that?) The problems did stop after that for the rest of the cruise.

Hi stellarose,

since you are on the Christmas cruise, there should be lots of kids their age. We always take RCCL when we take our grandchlldren. Just sign them up for the children's activities. The ship is small enough to keep track of them. We used postal notes on the mirror in our room to let them know where we were and verse visa.

Sheila

What did you like best?

What did you like least?

Thank you for you help!

JimandToni

Best - very friendly crew. Always helpful

Least - very small shower and annoying shower curtain

Drink package - yes we did get the ultimate drink package and gratuity was already included. Here is a great link with drnk prices http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/royal-caribbean-drink-package/

We did stop in Labadee but didn't go ashore as the stop was cut short about 4 hours due to weather heading back to Baltimore.

I do have all the Compasses and will try and post them over the weekend.

Gary

Hi mdgary,

Sheila

We did have some isues with the toilet. About midway through the cruise the toilet stopped working. Called maintenence and they were there within 10 minutes working on the problem. We had a couple other issues where the toilet had "delays" but no major problem.

Drink package - yes we did get the ultimate drink package and gratuity was already included. Here is a great link with drnk prices http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/royal-caribbean-drink-package/

We did stop in Labadee but didn't go ashore as the stop was cut short about 4 hours due to weather heading back to Baltimore.

Gary

Can't wait to see the compasses.

Gary

Ah yes, the annoying shower curtain. On the newer and bigger ships they have shower doors, and a much appreciated bar near the bottom to help facilitate a lady shaving her legs.

Gary

Thank you for your reply.

Can't wait to see the daily Compasses!

What did you like best?

What did you like least?

Thank you for you help!

JimandToni

We were on Grandeur for the Nov. 11th sailing.

What we liked best was the very friendly crew. And the smaller amount of passengers. It felt more intimate and we saw the same people over and over, which was nice. We loved Giovanni's for lunch.

What we liked least were the toilet issues. We did have a lot of days where the toilets didn't work, and sometimes for several hours. It was incredibly inconvenient, but didn't ruin our cruise.

We loved the ultimate drink package. Mimosa for breakfast, Americano in the afternoon, bottled water, wine with dinner, after dinner shots, trying drinks I wouldn't normally try, and then not feeling like I had to drink it because I paid for it when I didn't like it.

We stopped at Labadee. We are beach people, and had only been on Barefoot Beach on our previous trips, so were unsure. We went to Nellie's Beach, which was pretty crowded. I strolled down to Columbus Cove, which was nearly empty. Next time we'll head to Columbus Cove. We also bought some local rhum at the indoor market. They were selling $1 shots to sample. It was yummy and we bought a couple bottles. And some artwork from an artist in the outside market. Previously we've enjoyed walking to Dragon's Breath Point (I think that's what it's called). It is gorgeous and lots of good photo ops there.

We were on Grandeur for the Nov. 11th sailing.

What we liked best was the very friendly crew. And the smaller amount of passengers. It felt more intimate and we saw the same people over and over, which was nice. We loved Giovanni's for lunch.

What we liked least were the toilet issues. We did have a lot of days where the toilets didn't work, and sometimes for several hours. It was incredibly inconvenient, but didn't ruin our cruise.

We loved the ultimate drink package. Mimosa for breakfast, Americano in the afternoon, bottled water, wine with dinner, after dinner shots, trying drinks I wouldn't normally try, and then not feeling like I had to drink it because I paid for it when I didn't like it.

We stopped at Labadee. We are beach people, and had only been on Barefoot Beach on our previous trips, so were unsure. We went to Nellie's Beach, which was pretty crowded. I strolled down to Columbus Cove, which was nearly empty. Next time we'll head to Columbus Cove. We also bought some local rhum at the indoor market. They were selling $1 shots to sample. It was yummy and we bought a couple bottles. And some artwork from an artist in the outside market. Previously we've enjoyed walking to Dragon's Breath Point (I think that's what it's called). It is gorgeous and lots of good photo ops there.

Thank you! I read your blog on your trip. It was very well written and very informative with good photos. I am a professional writer/photographer and I thought it was a terrific blog!

Thank you! I read your blog on your trip. It was very well written and very informative with good photos. I am a professional writer/photographer and I thought it was a terrific blog!

Thank you. We are amateur photographers and I'm not a writer, but it's fun. I appreciate you saying so.

Hi Kelly,,,, Virginia and I will be on the grangeur for our first time in march and we didnt do a grand suite this time as they were all gone. But I guess a Jr suite is OK which room were you guys in we are starboard side 8558. We are doing labadee,PR,ST.Thomas, ST.Marteen for this cruise. Did you guys stay in a hotel and if so which one? as we are thinking of doing so. Talk to you soon and say hello to Doug from us.

Tony