seeking scuba diving recommendations eastern caribbean

Scubadoobie2

I'll be cruising the Eastern Caribbean itinerary on the Glory in June. I'd like to get in at least one scuba dive. Do any of you experienced scuba divers have a recommendation for the best port at which to do that and, if so, tell me with which company you had a great experience. (contact info for that company would be appreciated)

Scheduled stops are

• Half Moon Cay
  • St. Thomas/USVI
  • San Juan and
  • Grand Turk

Thank you for your input. :)

In St Thomas we used St Thomas Diving Club. They are out of Bolongo Bay. You can google them. They were very prompt in responding back to me and were awesome. We did a wreck and a reef dive. It was so nice not to be herded like a bunch of cattle like the ship's excursion was. We saw their boat go by and there had to be 50 people on it compared to like 8 of us.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Blue Island Divers in St Thomas did a great dive when we were there last. They pick you right up from the cruise terminal. I would book with them again.

on your list, Grand Turk is also a great choice..but I was shocked at the abundance and variety of corals and fish in St Thomas

Third for Blue Island Divers on St Thomas, I have dived with them twice.

Grand Turk diving is wonderful, just don't book with the ship (cattle call situation).

I don't think diving is offered at Half Moon Cay any more, I dove there several years ago and only saw a handful of fish; had much better luck on a snorkel trip. Since it's a cruiseline-owned island there's nobody else to book with.......

We would not miss diving in Grand Turk !

5d3641ce-e378-4f18-af42-2dc2e8fff5c5_zpsb3828579.jpg

Here's the view near the pier

990cfa04-f35a-45f3-b52b-3f6106ed7426_zpsc51b8926.jpg

This is where we were picked up by Blue Water Divers to dive on a 7000 ' deep wall - only us and the Dive Master !

bf5e4eb4-e2ba-430f-bdc6-776c717c02a1_zps20604304.jpg

Here's the view from where we ate lunch .

8158f03a-9bec-4eff-930d-9334456d78f3_zpsfb8115d3.jpg

The blue line on the horizon is the wall . It is a little pricey , but worth every penny . We will be diving here this Saturday from the Caribbean Princess !

http://www.grandturkscuba.com/grand-turk-diving/

We dove Grand Turk as a ship excursion since we had 4 1/2 hours at the port. Short walk down the beach to the boat. Less than 10 min to the wall. All of our gear was already set up in the boat. We brought our own, so they helped us set it up as we traveled to the dive site - to help us "catch up" with everyone else

Nice dive, though it wasn't Bonaire or Curacao.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your only diving once I would recommend GT over St. Thomas having been to both places numerous times. There is nothing wrong with St. Thomas I just prefer the diving at Grand Turk.

• 2 weeks later...
I'll be cruising the Eastern Caribbean itinerary on the Glory in June. I'd like to get in at least one scuba dive. Do any of you experienced scuba divers have a recommendation for the best port at which to do that and, if so, tell me with which company you had a great experience. (contact info for that company would be appreciated)

Scheduled stops are

• Half Moon Cay
  • St. Thomas/USVI
  • San Juan and
  • Grand Turk

Thank you for your input. :)

I had a good experience with Blue Island Divers in St Thomas.

Blue Island Divers in St Thomas did a great dive when we were there last. They pick you right up from the cruise terminal. I would book with them again.

on your list, Grand Turk is also a great choice..but I was shocked at the abundance and variety of corals and fish in St Thomas

I dove with them a couple of years ago. It was nice as pickup is right by the ship and they let you dive your air.